Engagement of Prince Rainier & Grace Kelly

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mashed potatoes

Commoner
Country
Canada
beautiful pictures. does anyone have a good close up photograph of the engagement ring? i have read that it was 12 carats emerald cut diamond. i've never seen it though.

Pictures from ABACA

(Front row, L-R) HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco and his fiancee Grace Kelly, father John Brendan Kelly, mother Margaret Kelly and sister Margaret Davis, (Back row, L-R) Sister-in-law Mrs. John B. Kelly Jr., brother-in-law Donald Levine, brother John B. Kelly Jr., brother-in-law George Davis and sister Elisabeth Anne Levine, during Rainier and Grace's engagement party held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA. (Pictured: Prince Rainier, Grace Kelly)

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,447
Grace Kelly's engagement ring during her engagement party held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA. (Pictured: Grace Kelly)

Attachments

• 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2,586
HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco (2nd R) poses with Grace's brother-in-law Donald Levine (L), Grace's sister-in-law Mrs. John B. Kelly Jr. (2nd L) and Grace's brother-in-law George Davis (R), during his engagement party with Grace Kelly held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA. (Pictured: Prince Rainier)

Attachments

• 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 966
HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco and his fiancee Grace Kelly during their engagement party held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA. (Pictured: Prince Rainier, Grace Kelly)

Attachments

• 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,176
  • 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,038
HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco and his fiancee Grace Kelly (R) with Margaret Davis, one of Grace's two sisters, during their engagement party held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA. (Pictured: Prince Rainier, Grace Kelly)

Attachments

• 0007.jpg
    0007.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 2,658
HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco and his fiancee Grace Kelly surrounded by the Kelly family, father John Brendan Kelly, mother Margaret Kelly and brother John Jr. 'Jack' Kelly, during their engagement party held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA. (Pictured: Prince Rainier, Grace Kelly)

Attachments

• 0008.jpg
    0008.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 2,225
HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco and his fiancee Grace Kelly surrounded by the Kelly family, (L-R) Grace's sister Margaret Davis, father John Brendan Kelly, mother Margaret Kelly, brother John Jr. 'Jack' Kelly and sister Elisabeth Anne Levin, during their engagement party held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA. (Pictured: Prince Rainier, Grace Kelly)

Attachments

• 0009.jpg
    0009.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,303
HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco (R) poses with Grace's brother-in-law Donald Levine (L), Grace's sister-in-law Mrs. John B. Kelly Jr. (2nd L) and Grace's brother-in-law George Davis, during his engagement party with Grace Kelly held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA. (Pictured: Prince Rainier)

Attachments

• 0010.jpg
    0010.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 814
The cake for the engagement party of HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco and Grace Kelly held at the Kelly home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, on January 6, 1956. Photo by ABACA.

Attachments

• 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 0012.jpg
    0012.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 914
Publication about Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier of Monaco in the french magazine "Point de Vue" on January 5, 2005. Photo by ABACA

Attachments

• 0013.jpg
    0013.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 838
This engagement seems so informal....doesn´t look like a prince engagement....all could look like this!

mashed potatoes said:
beautiful pictures. does anyone have a good close up photograph of the engagement ring? i have read that it was 12 carats emerald cut diamond. i've never seen it though.

Oh, yes, please! :) I have already asked about that engagement ring too in other topic, but nobody answered and post a pic up to now :( ;)

Here is a pic of her engagement ring - Cover

sgsg07.jpg

Is that it? I thought it was a huge ring. I'm pretty positive that the pic of the ring i posted earlier was the actual engagement ring. The pic you posted tbhrc could be the wedding band

Last edited:
So did I , I thought is was on large stone?????
I also heard that it was the one she wore in the film .

Her engagement ring was a twelve-carat emerald-cut diamond ring.

Never seen a clear picture of it but found some pics were you can see it.
She usually wore a smaller ring because that diamond is huge.

sl05mg.jpg

tbhrc said:
http://i1.tinypic.com/sgsg07.jpg
PR proposed with this ring and only later gave her the big diamond ring

From "once upon a time" by J.Randy Taraborrelli page 126:

"on her finger she flashed what would be a temporary ring: a band set with diamonds and rubies. Rainier told her he was having a ring created especially for her with emarald-cut diamonds"

APL:
Original caption: 1/10/1956-Chicago, IL: Film actress Grace Kelly, en route to Hollywood for movie work, strikes a pose to show off the engagement ring given her by Prince Rainier III of Monico as she arrives in Chicago. Ther Princess to be posed amiably for photographers on her arrival by train from New York. Rainier will join her on the coast next month, and they will be wedd after her film commitments are completed.
BE031200.jpg

maybe this is the second ring? from APL:
0000171626-003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
tbhrc said:
http://i1.tinypic.com/sgsg07.jpg

This is not her engagement ring. Maybe he gave this to her to wear while the emerald cut one was being made. I know the one from High Society was a BIG ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for all these marvellous photos of Grace.I like all,specially the last one,:clap: I have never seen before

This is not her engagement ring. Maybe he gave this to her to wear while the emerald cut one was being made. I know the one from High Society was a BIG ring.

If I'm not mistaken, that is her first engagement ring. I read somewhere that Prince Rainier saw other Hollywood actresses wearing a bigger rock, so he decided to give Grace that 12 carat emerald-cut diamond ring..

I love the pics of Princess Grace and Prince Rainer engagement party. Thanks for the pics, queenfothelight.:) This is the first time I've seen more pics of their engagement party.

If I'm not mistaken, that is her first engagement ring. I read somewhere that Prince Rainier saw other Hollywood actresses wearing a bigger rock, so he decided to give Grace that 12 carat emerald-cut diamond ring..
When Rainier proposed, it was basically their second meeting (after Cannes, they corresponded through letters, hence the the press never caught wind of their courtship), so he did not have a proper engagement ring. The ring shown off at the press conference at the Kelly home was more of a temporary friendship ring from I read in biographies of Grace.

Also I believe the white evening gown with the lilies pinned on worn at the Waldorf-Astoria engagement ball (appropriately called "A Night in Monte Carlo") was actually designed by Dior. It is very much a 50s New Look gown typical of Dior. Helen Rose's designs were much more delicate as exemplified in Grace's wedding gown and the gown she wore to the 1956 Academy Awards (her last public appearance before going to Monaco), presenting the Best Actor Oscar.

I believe that Princess Stephanie wore the dress to a ball, possibly the Rose Ball or a Red Cross Ball, at some point while Grace was alive. She looked beautiful in the photograph that I remember. Does anyone know the picture that I am referring to?

Back
Top Bottom