Biography of Princess Grace

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Espresso! Welcome to the forum, glad you like it here. :D

Just thought i'd post some facts!!!

*In the late 40's Grace worked as a model.
*Won an Oscar in 1954 for The Country Girl. Beating Judy Garland and Audrey Hepurn.
*Her career lasted from 1950-56. She made 11 films.

Fourteen Hours '51, High Noon '52, Mogambo '53, Dial M For Murder '54, Green Fire '54, The Country Girl '54, The Bridges at Toko-Ri '54, To Catch A Thief '55, The Swan '56, High Society '56.

*Made films with many famous actors of the day including:

Ava Gardner, Clark Gable, Alex Guiness, James Stewart, Cary Grant, Bing Crosby and Frank Sinartra (yes, i know he's a singer. But he acted alot as well!!)

*To Catch a Thief was filmed in the Riveira, Southern France.
*Made three films with Alfred Hitchcock (Director) including Rear Window.
*Was approaced in the 60's by him to do Marnie, but had2 turn it down as the people of Monaco did not approve!
*Her wedding was filmed by MGM as part of her film contract and the wedding dress was designed by the head of custume's i believe it was Edith Head, tho i'm not sure.
*When Grace met Prince Ranier it was set up by Paris Match to publicise the Cannes film festival which Grace was attending in '55. She almost never turned up. She had no dryer to dry her hair that morning as there was a strike, so could not use an iron to iron her clothes. The only dress she could wear she hated!!! But she went anyway.
*When she made High Society she sang her own songs, including the famous 'True Love' duet with Bing Crosby.

Good books to read on Grace include:

Grace: The Secret Lives of a Princess. James Spada - Dell '88
Grace. Robert Lacey - Pan Macmillan - '94

Also try and get the book, Grace. Howell Conant - Random House '92. He took many pic's of Grace over the years. Starting in 54 or 55.

I've added 70 new pics on my site of Princess Grace (Before Her Wedding and Monaco), Princess Caroline (Childhood, Youth, Life With Junot, Life After Junot, Life With Stefano, and Life After Stefano), and Princess Stephanie (Childhood, Youth, and Life After Ducruet).

Also updated the biographies of Princess Grace, Caroline, and Stephanie on my site. I hope you like them.

Monaco70s
http://www.geocities.com/monaco70s

Princess Grace

Did Princess Grace like being a Princess? Was is what she thought it would be? Or maybe she had mixed feelings about the whole thing. I think that she was very courageous to leave her film career and her homeland to go live in a place that was so different and learning a new language. I know people say that there are perks to being a Princess and I completely agree but there are also drawbacks. What do you all think?

starnightsky said:
Did Princess Grace like being a Princess? Was is what she thought it would be? Or maybe she had mixed feelings about the whole thing. I think that she was very courageous to leave her film career and her homeland to go live in a place that was so different and learning a new language. I know people say that there are perks to being a Princess and I completely agree but there are also drawbacks. What do you all think?

Hi starnightsky!

I have two biographies of Princess Grace - Grace and Once Upon a Time. So my reply will just be based on those books. She had very serious regrets about giving up her movie career and went into depression in the early 60s. At that time, she also suffered two miscarriages after the birth of Prince Albert. It was also said in Once Upon a Time that she had a very hard time adjusting to life in Monaco, because everything was so different and even the palace staff gave her a hard time, not to mention Princess Antoinette and Princess Charlotte.

But in the end, it was said that she was happy and came into terms with the decisions she has made. Her sister Lizanne said so. Her relationship with her family also improved as time went by. It's just so sad that her life ended when it did.

Hope this helps....

Princess Grace was a remarkable woman - she was very beautiful person and I'm also talking about her spirit.

I just saw on the IMDB website about Grace that her movies are/ were banned in Monaco by Price Ranier. Does anyone know if this is true and if so why?

Thanks!

Oh, here's the link in case anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000038/bio

Noelle9982 said:
I just saw on the IMDB website about Grace that her movies are/ were banned in Monaco by Price Ranier. Does anyone know if this is true and if so why?

Thanks!

Oh, here's the link in case anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000038/bio

I read about that, too. Apparently, Prince Rainier didn't want to exploit his wife's former occupation. He did permit the screening of some of Grace's films (at the palace screening room), but also chose which to show or not (The Country Girl - okay, but not To Catch A Thief). I also think that at that time he wanted Grace to forget her film career (she was still longing to make movies).

Last edited:
I think that Rainier also did not want the princess of Monaco to be seen in the embraces of other men or lip locking on the big screen. I guess it was frowned upon.

Amina said:
Of all the old movie stars Grace Kelly is one of my favourites. Both she & Audrey Hepburn were revolutionary at the time in bucking the trend for very curvey actresses. Grace had class, she didn't show of her body like many of the other actresses at of the time!!

She pretty much refused to do the cheescake swimsuit/negligee promotional photos that were standard at studios of the time. I think there's One shot of her in a bathing suit (not the one from the set of High Society, where she was supposed to be wearing a bathing suit!) that she was made to do, and it looks so jarring to see her in that coy-starlet type of pose. She had way too much class to look right being made to do something like that.

Monaco is still issuing some lovely Stamps with HSH on them, the also have some lovely publication avaiable to buy from the palace.

sandee thanks for the expo link. thanks to all, there are several photos i'd never seen and since i've adored PG since i was a child, i thought i'd seen them all.
am i the only one who is thankful i don't have to wear little white gloves everywhere anymore?

Here is a transcript of Larry King Live:

LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight, a rare, intimate, exclusive look inside the legend of Princess Grace. From Hollywood to royalty, Grace Kelly's classic beauty made her a queen of the silver screen, but she gave up movie stardom to become a real-life princess. And then tragedy, her fairy-tale life cut short 21 years ago this month by a car crash.
Tonight, exclusive, Princess Grace's sister, Lizanne Le Vine; Princess Grace's cousin, John Lehman; her nephew, John Kelly; and her close friend, Hollywood roommate and bridesmaid, actress Rita Gam; and Christopher Le Vine, nephew of Princess Grace. And they're all next on LARRY KING LIVE.

More here

The Philladephia Museum of Art, www.philamuseum.org has an exhibition, "Fit for a Princess: Grace Kelly’s Wedding Dress". This collection will be on view from April 1, 2006 - May 21, 2006. The online museum store offers a catalog is available for puchase, "Grace Kelly: Icon of Style to Royal Bride". I can not go to Philladelphia to see this collection, has anyone see this yet?

She was famous and beautiful plus she was a good actress.She would not like the way her chidren are acting that is sad all three of her children were in scandals. I thought adleast one could stay free of any scandals I was proven wrong.Even after her death people are still talking about her and marriage to Prince Rainier III Of Monaco.

Next Star said:
She was famous and beautiful plus she was a good actress.She would not like the way her chidren are acting that is sad all three of her children were in scandals. I thought adleast one could stay free of any scandals I was proven wrong.Even after her death people are still talking about her and marriage to Prince Rainier III Of Monaco.

Yes, but she did not have to grow up in the spotlight & the pressures until she was an adult & married & I have a feeling her children have a lot of her good traits.

I think for the reason that she was so special, that in itself is hard enough for them to have to deal with in their own ways & then to have to suffer her death at such young ages & in the public, I can't help cutting them some slack. They had to deal with a lot that she did not.

Take a look at this thread: Grace - By Howell Conant in the Royal Library section. I'm posting pictures and captions made by Conant. The book is great, you'll get to see some private moments of Grace as an actress, wife, mother and Princess of Monaco. So take a look.....

'Through Conant's words and pictures, we see Grace Kelly in all her many roles: Oscar winning screen star, princess, loyal friend, wife and mother. The result is a moving and revealing portrait of a woman who remains the most glamorous and beautiful figure of a bygone golden age.'

'Howell Conant's remarkable photographic collaboration with Grace Kelly began in 1955, just before she won her Oscar, and it continued for more than twenty-five years, until her untimely death.'

sandsla said:
Yes, but she did not have to grow up in the spotlight & the pressures until she was an adult & married & I have a feeling her children have a lot of her good traits.

I think for the reason that she was so special, that in itself is hard enough for them to have to deal with in their own ways & then to have to suffer her death at such young ages & in the public, I can't help cutting them some slack. They had to deal with a lot that she did not.
Yes there a lot of pressures and stresses on you when you become royal or your born royal yes I understand that her children lost her when they were very young but that is not a good reason for them to be in a scandal. They do have some of Princess Grace's good traits by helping the less fortunate but sometimes that gets over shadowed by their scandals.

does any one have Grace`s accident and funeral pics?

does any one have Grace`s accident and funeral pics?

I have few photos of her funeral mirage and one of them is not desireable so I am not posting it here because it's her photo in open casket. If you are interested in her funeral you can basicly search it on google and easily find it. :flowers:

http://img260.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=67383_2178224880085180389UYKqJC_ph_122_208lo.jpg
http://img223.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=67386_2299342800085180389veaBbg_ph_122_1139lo.jpg
http://img168.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=67389_2409643540085180389FNPFJE_ph_122_129lo.jpg

Grace's biographers

Guys, do you know any biographer of Grimaldi family, or other expert journalist in the theme of Grace and her family? I'd like to know about the more

Hello & welcome to the forums . There have been a number of biographies about the Grimaldi family over the years.
Hree are a few of the best received ones - you should be able to get copies through Amazon or Abe books.

The Grimaldis of Monaco Anne Edwards 1992
The Ruling House of Monaco John Glatt 1998
Once Upon a Time: the Story of Princess Grace, Prince Rainier & Family J Randy Taraborelli 2003
Rainier & Grace Jeffrey Robinson 1989

If you check out the Royal Library Forum, you'll find a thread with some other titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom