2005 National Day / Enthronement ceremonies

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CasiraghiTrio said:
I hope that's not the whole story because that's a rather silly thing to hold a serious grudge about! Admittedly, Albert should watch himself and not say those things. But come on, he was just trying to strengthen hope for his own country's Olympic bid. And he may have said it as a joke, who knows.

There was a bid made by Monaco for the 2012 Olympics? Wow, how strange I wasn't aware of that.

Anyway, I'm not too sure about the fashion choices made by Charlotte throughout this whole event. I thought the suit was alright though, it might have seemed a bit too heavy on her though. The dress that she wore to the opera, very Chanel was the first thought that sprung to my mind when I first saw it. I think she's trying a bit too hard, the dress made her look pregnant, especially at some of the angles that photographs of her were taken at. I would've loved to see her in something like Lanvin. Alber Elbaz has done some beautiful dresses in shades of grey and black for this winter, and I think that it would've suited Charlotte much better. www.lanvin.com

Stephanie on the other hand has surprised me in her choices for the past couple of days, she looks a lot better too. I suppose her new lover suits her well. I must applaud her for her fashion choices though, the suit she wore to the investiture ceremony in particlar suited her wonderfully. I definately did not have my hopes up to begin with, but like the others, I have been wonderfully surprised, and I do hope that she keeps it up. I was sorry to not have seen her at the opera, it would've been interesting to see what she had in store.

I thought that Caroline was trying to be too Jackie O-ish with the pillbox hat and everything in between. She looked good, but it wasn't as if her outfits were spectacular. She seems to have aged a great deal since her father's death as well, it seems as though those wrinkles on her face have appeared a lot quicker than they have in the past.

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden however, was dressed beautifully, except for that metallic red dress she had on during one of the evenings, I definately could have done without another sight of that. The black dress and the red suit she wore in the morning made her look beautiful though, I certainly do hope that we'll see more great fashion choices from her in the near future. I'm especially excited to see her dress ensemble for the Nobel Prize Ceremony later on in the year (or has that already happened?) Hopefully she's choose something less typical to what we're used to seeing her wear at home.

Clothilde Courau is one of those others that have surprised with her ensemble choices this time around. I'm used to her making horrid dress choices that don't entire suit her or don't entire suit the event she's wearing them too. She looked good this time though, I too hope she keeps it up.

The Countess of Wessex looked alright, I personally really couldn't see what the fuss some of the others were making. Meh. That's all I gotta say for now, maybe it's one of those things where you have to pay more attention to the detail of the dress or something like that before you feel that it did really make her look fantastic. For now, I'm going to stick with that she looks just plain alright in my taste.

That's all I've got for the women so far, perhaps I'll comment on the men later on. Though they definately tend to be easier.

agisele said:
The Countess of Wessex looked alright, I personally really couldn't see what the fuss some of the others were making. Meh. That's all I gotta say for now, maybe it's one of those things where you have to pay more attention to the detail of the dress or something like that before you feel that it did really make her look fantastic. For now, I'm going to stick with that she looks just plain alright in my taste.

you're right. but "just plain alright" is amazing for sophie considering how awful she usually looks.

if some other royal ladies turned up looking like that we'd think "oh, she is having an off-day." but with sophie, sadly, this is about as good as it gets.

I've never particularly liked Princess Stephanie, but for once she looked fantastic. Her hair, make-up and outfit was great. I really liked the Chanel suit and the gala dress worn by Charlotte. I know that they've been heavily slated but the suit was beautiful, although I think the hat was the let-down in that outfit. As for the gala dress it was stunning! Caroline looked great, lovely outfits that were just a little bit "safe". Although maybe she didn't want ot detract from the solemnity of the occcasion?

Last edited:
Hello Pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
RADKER18 said:
From what I read Stephanie's Children were their but you never saw them did anyone who was at the National Day/Entronement ceremonies see them at any time ? It would have been nice to see them with their mom.
They were there...as they're not excluded from the family. They were inside the Palace. Stephanie just didn't want them to 'go public' ... so that's her primary concern... I don't know really...it's kind of difficult to see the way because she allows them to join their Dad ( Pauline and Louis) on a Reality-TV show but doesn't want them to appear at National Day. She never wanted that...she always was against it. I understand that she wants to keep their lives private but why then the TV-thing ?
I asked her and she said: that's different, they went to see their dad whom they hadn't seen in a longer time .....
...hmmm...still I don't see that so clear. As much as I love her and admire her...here somehow our opinions go apart...but I respect her decision. She's the mom of those three , if she doesn't want them to appear...that'll stay the way it is. I agree with you somehow that it is kinda sad...because this way the family always seems a little incomplete...

Tosca said:
I didn't know Paola had an illegitimate child. Which one? I know King Albert has an illegitimate daughter, instead.
It was said that the younger son was infact not fathered by the king, since at the time they had severe marriage problems. I'm sure that some of the experts for te Belgium family would know more about it.

lal said:
Was it 1 Kings or 2 Kings? Which bible translation were the scriptures read from? :)

It was 1 Kings and it was read in French. Translation in the program in English starts with: So God said to Salomon:" Because you have aked for this - not for a long life for your self, nor for rices, nor for te life of your enemies, but for understanding so that you may know what is right - I do as you requested.....

Hope that helps.

agisele said:
There was a bid made by Monaco for the 2012 Olympics? Wow, how strange I wasn't aware of that.
I think the French bid was meant here. Monaco would not have the capacities to host any Olympics. The only thing they could do would be making a joint bid with Nice, but I doubt that sth like that would ever happen.

paca said:
that is correct. First lecture was kings 3, 11-14, second lecture was Lucas 12, 35-40.

Where did you find an Order of Service for the mass?

are you actually Char under an assumed name?

pollyemma said:
are you actually Char under an assumed name?

:D :D nope, but I was about 10m away from her and no, I am no member of the family, just someone who happens to be in the cathedral at every important church service (and others less important ones too;) ).

paca said:
:D :D nope, but I was about 10m away from her and no, I am no member of the family, just someone who happens to be in the cathedral at every important church service (and others less important ones too;) ).

did you get invited?

pollyemma said:
did you get invited?
Yes and no. If you mean by the prince, the answer is no. But if we wouldn't show, the service would be only half as long (well probably not considering how much Mgr. Barsi likes to hear himself talk...;) ). We are in charge of the musical frame of the service.

paca said:
Yes and no. If you mean by the prince, the answer is no. But if we wouldn't show, the service would be only half as long (well probably not considering how much Mgr. Barsi likes to hear himself talk...;) ). We are in charge of the musical frame of the service.

ok, thanks for explaining. that's wonderful. you are very lucky.

pollyemma said:
ok, thanks for explaining. that's wonderful. you are very lucky.
I think the Grimaldis are lucky that we manage to not put too many false notes into the service ;) :D . But it's fun, even though I was disappointed in the program that was decided. Unfortunately unlike his great granddad, who ordered waht was to be performed, PA just took what was on offer and musically speaking it was w warmed up dish of what has been prepared for previous occasions. Btw one of the people involved particpated at each service since Louis II. According to him in comparison today it is more like la cucaracha. Just think of the fact that instead of properly doing the halleluja properly (which even non musically interested people know), it was being played by the organ. The effect is 10 times stronger well performed and would have made a great exit out of the church into his new life.

HRHAmy said:
Wow, she really missed it on that evening dress, looks like she's weaing a tank top with a bed sheet over it. She has such beautiful features and a perfect body she should glam it up more.

The first pic is of the dress I didn't like. The other three are ones which I think she could pull off very well.
The pink dress would have been great.the others I would have considered too revealing and not right for her age. But sth in the style of the pink dress would have been really nice on her

iceflower said:
Then you've done a great job, paca! :)
Thanks but as i said before, I wasn't at all happy.

I found we did a great job at the funeral, very dignified. Also the 12th was good, considering the circummstances and the short notice for preparation. But the mood and the atmosphere captured everyone and it showed in the music. But this time it was very much like everyone would have rather prefered to stay in bed. The orchestra is almost always slower than the actual pace, but this time it was worse, probably due to the fact that choir ad orchestra only met for 30min for te first time to rehearse together on Saturday morning. I call tha hardly professional and considering the importance of the event, I would have prefered that people would have put some of their mouthed servility into practice and put up some extra rehearsals in order to actually do the prince honour. But words and action are often worlds apart I have noticed.

I don't understand the aversion the Monaco Princesses have to wearing tiaras either especially Caroline as Stephanie seems to have an aversion to being Royal full stop. I always think that when you see Caroline in jewels and family orders she dosn't look "complete" without a tiara as you never see the other European Princesses in orders without one. Princess Grace herself always wore her tiara on formal occasions. I also think it's sad that Caroline's trademark way of dressing ie dark colours made of material that looks so freyed at the edges it looks as though mice have been at it, is now being replacated by her daughter. The dress Charlotte wore to the church had that awful freyed look and her outfit at the gala would have been lovely had it consisted only of the white section. I think it looked like she had pulled a white evening dress over a black vest and it was so shapeless that in some pictures it made her look pregnant. You wouldn't have thought the Grimaldi's were the hosts as Sophie and Victoria looked far more impressive.

Last edited:
paca said:
It was said that the younger son was infact not fathered by the king, since at the time they had severe marriage problems. I'm sure that some of the experts for te Belgium family would know more about it.

A little off-topic, but I'll just put my two cents in.

King Albert did father an illegitimate daughter in (I think 1968) and had a relationship with her mother for 18 years. Now that's a pretty long time. The younger son of Queen Paola is Prince Laurent (born 1963) and I doubt that he's not the son of King Albert because Prince Laurent (in his younger years) looked like his brother and his father.

james said:
Who is the lady in red standing with little Alexandra on the balcony? I had to do a double take as I thought Caroline had changed her outfit. Is it a cousin of the Grimaldis'?

That young lady is Melanie de Lusignan, Princess Antoinette's grandaughter. Melanie's mother is Baroness Elizabeth Ann de Massy (Prince Rainier's niece), and she is usually with family on official events like Rose Ball, Red Cross Ball and others..

Last edited:
paca said:
It was 1 Kings and it was read in French. Translation in the program in English starts with: So God said to Salomon:" Because you have aked for this - not for a long life for your self, nor for rices, nor for te life of your enemies, but for understanding so that you may know what is right - I do as you requested.....

Hope that helps.

:) Thank you for your response! I was wondering which Bible translation was read, i.e., King James Bible, the Living Bible, Amplified Bible, ....

Caroline with Stephs kids

michelle said:
kinda sad...because this way the family always seems a little incomplete...

It really Would have been nice to see Louis standing with his Uncle and Pauline with Caroline and little camille.:cool: I read that Caroline was joking with Pauline that would have been nice to see because you never see/read any Pics or stories with Caroline and Stephs kids.:) Maybe when Louis and pauline get older well see them more .:rolleyes:

Ianna said:
That young lady is Melanie de Lusignan, Princess Antoinette's grandaughter. Melanie's mother is Baroness Elizabeth Ann de Massy (Prince Rainier's niece), and she is usually with family on official events like Rose Ball, Red Cross Ball and others..

Oh thank you for clarifying! I thought she was Alexandra's nanny:(

i made some avatars of the trio from the National Day... Enjoy! ;)

LadyEsquire said:
Wow - that's great! Tell us more about the service. What hymns were sung?
My general impression I gave on page 11 or 12 on this thread. If you like you can follow the service at palais.mc. They haven't released it yet (it was promissed for MOnday but last time it was late too, so it's going to come out possibly lster today or tomorrow). It is te TMC version, which is usually a bit better informed (though they also claimed that Father Kelly is a relation) then the rest of them. Besides they don't babbel into the music. Main music was Schubert, Bach, Mozart and Haendel. The rest was regular lithurgy and monegasques variations and of course the prayer for the prince that seems to have the same effect on our sovereigns family as the ringing of the bell to Pavlovs dog's mouth;) .

paca said:

Ha Ha Ha, if Prince Philip of Belgium is not King's Albert son.... he is the son of King's Albert hidden twin brother..... they are so similar.... same profile, noose... astonishing...

Back
Top Bottom