12th Games of the Small States of Europe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paca

Serene Highness
City
Country
France
Well, she was there tonight. I saw her up close, hair done up in I don't know how to call it as there was so little to call it a knot. She was wearing a white suit, pancake make up as usual (hair and make up all looked very selfmade) and the few times she was on the giant screen she did not look pretty at all. She seemed not comfortable. Heads of state didn't look too happy apart from when they were greeting their own delegations. At some stage when Charlene was on screen there was whistling. Comments of people were not nice, especially not from those who saw her close up. I recognized some of the faces and apparently that was an instantaneous reaction, as briefly after they were looking around as if to make sure that the wrong person didn't hear them. He didn't do a good job taking her. I saw Col Fringant and Mme Stahl (looking very well though I wouldn't have recommended the outfit) in discussion and she didn't seem too pleased with sth and neither did Col Fringant.

show was sort of ok, but as usual Monaco didn't get their own message. After rubbing the environment into peoples faces during the whole ceremony, they ended up blowing scraps of paper in the air which are now all over the surrounding streets and in the harbour. Many athletes left before the end. Some because they got bored as it was pretty repetitive and unnecessarily long. It was a bit sad that with everything happening in the world of sport the only message was the environment and the representation of the different sports. Others left because it was getting late, competitions are starting tomorrow and Albert was 20 minutes late. They actually moved the originally scheduled time 30min forward, to make sure that it wasn't getting too late. Otherwise there might not have been any athletes left to watch the show ;)

Added to add that the president of the European comittees took a page out of Graces mothers book by calling Monaco Marocco and Jacques Rogge limited the number of countries to 7 or maybe he is just not good in counting ;) :D

None of the family was today at the opening ceremony. He took Charlene instead. I would have expected at least Steph showing there since Pauline used to participate in diving and gymnastics, but no. NOw even if I did not expect Caro to make a show ( though I think initially she might have planned on comming) after her no show in the Drucker show, I certainly would have expected Steph there. I understand that the formality with heads of states might not be her favourite thing, but her absence I found very surprising. If none of the sisters show on the official part of the games, I think the tabloids have plenty to write about Alberts fall out with his sisters over Charlene.

He wouldn't have had to say anything and nobody would have asked him anything if he wouldn't have displayed her as publicly as he has. With todays action he has continued to try to impose her on people and not only are they getting to dislike her more, but also he is losing in peoples esteem. There will be lots of talk in Monaco the next few weeks. And I have heard people talk much more openly then ever before. Interesting is the sudden increase of flowers on Graces and Rainiers graves. It is almost as if they are trying to bring them back. There have always been flowers of course, but not in this number and they don't look at all like officially delivered, but more like regular people asked to be allowed to place them

Last edited by a moderator:
paca said:
Well, she was there tonight. I saw her up close, hair done up in I don't know how to call it as there was so little to call it a knot. She was wearing a white suit, pancake make up as usual (hair and make up all looked very selfmade) and the few times she was on the giant screen she did not look pretty at all. She seemed not comfortable. Heads of state didn't look too happy apart from when they were greeting their own delegations. At some stage when Charlene was on screen there was whistling. Comments of people were not nice, especially not from those who saw her close up. I recognized some of the faces and apparently that was an instantaneous reaction, as briefly after they were looking around as if to make sure that the wrong person didn't hear them. He didn't do a good job taking her. I saw Col Fringant and Mme Stahl (looking very well though I wouldn't have recommended the outfit) in discussion and she didn't seem too pleased with sth and neither did Col Fringant.

show was sort of ok, but as usual Monaco didn't get their own message. After rubbing the environment into peoples faces during the whole ceremony, they ended up blowing scraps of paper in the air which are now all over the surrounding streets and in the harbour. Many athletes left before the end. Some because they got bored as it was pretty repetitive and unnecessarily long. It was a bit sad that with everything happening in the world of sport the only message was the environment and the representation of the different sports. Others left because it was getting late, competitions are starting tomorrow and Albert was 20 minutes late. They actually moved the originally scheduled time 30min forward, to make sure that it wasn't getting too late. Otherwise there might not have been any athletes left to watch the show ;)

Added to add that the president of the European comittees took a page out of Graces mothers book by calling Monaco Marocco and Jacques Rogge limited the number of countries to 7 or maybe he is just not good in counting ;) :D

Hi Paca thanks for the update. This must have been just fascinating for you after all we have seen and read about her- Now an up close observance. This is not good news for Monaco as the whole event sounded like it was dreadful. Was Albert nice to Charlene? Again she was uncomfortable. Last year she didn't look uncomfortable, she looked pleased as punch to be seen. So what's changed? Why does she stay if she is uncomfortable. It sounds like Mme Stahl and the Col. had a lot to be discussing and looking unhappy about. This was not a success for Monaco. I would feel sorry for Charlene (and maybe that is what she is aiming for at this point, who knows), but at this point in time she knows what the ropes are at these events and should be able to work a crowd of athletes and feel at home. JMO

paca said:
Well, she was there tonight. .... At some stage when Charlene was on screen there was whistling. Comments of people were not nice, especially not from those who saw her close up. I recognized some of the faces and apparently that was an instantaneous reaction, as briefly after they were looking around as if to make sure that the wrong person didn't hear them.
Albert and Charlene most likely took the whistling as a compliment. It is just the sort of thing those kind of people do.

Thanks for the info Paca.

People remember the opening and closing cermonies for the hoop-la. It's very sad to hear. Thanks for the info Paca.

In Europe is whistling a bad thing?

Spectacular start for Monaco Games

Here is an article, but I have to say it is not quite correct. Albert didn't give a speech, he only declared the games open ( he probably dreamed of saying these words all his life) and some details are not quite correct, but it seems to have been written in a hurry and from what I hear from some journalists I bumped into, their work is not being made easy. THey complained actually about how difficult things were being made for them to show the games at their best etc. whatever I hear so far is not at all helping to promote Monaco. Quite on the contrary. The athletes though are trying to make the best of it. It is their games after all.

perhaps albert needs more people to start whistle and boo her, at that point maybe(??) he'll get the message. if she's not pleased, why does she stay around, what can change, it's going to be worse, and worse. Displaying her in this kind of setting is bad taste, I wonder how is she introduced to the officials, as his what?? {bringing up old stuff/issues- Lady Jennifer} It is against all logic!!! Someone should ask him publicly to step down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics 4.6.2007

Prince Albert II of Monaco opens the 12th Games of the Small States of Europe on the northern dock of Port Hercule in Monaco, on 04 June 2007. Athletes of 8 countries, Andorra, Cyprus, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco and San Marino, will compete from June 4 to 9. . EPA

Albert
Albert with Charlene

I think Charlene is here to stay for a long while so some people will have to get used to this.

Stellad

stellad said:
I think Charlene is here to stay for a long while so some people will have to get used to this.

Stellad

I'm know I'm trying (I promise I'm trying really hard:bang:), but getting used to Albert's 'special friend' can be easier said than done.

Do you think Albert is trying to fashion Charlene some kind of 'un-official' first lady role in Monaco, since she's his 'girlfriend' :monacoflag:?

Do you think Albert will be giving her appearances for Monaco by herself like CP Mary or CP Mette Marit (un-official of course)?

Last edited:
Lillia said:
I'm know I'm trying (I promise I'm trying really hard:bang:), but getting used to Albert's 'special friend' can be easier said than done.

I agree...it's difficult as there have been better choices.

Lillia said:
Do you think Albert is trying to fashion Charlene some kind of 'un-official' first lady role in Monaco, since she's his 'girlfriend' :monacoflag:?

I doubt it...without some kind of formal announcement it would be foolish. She's not a Monegasque and it would be a HUGE slap in the face to his sisters, especially Caroline. I think she somewhat cleaned up her act after the GP. I'm sure there was backlash about the way she was dressed and she had some help with this recent outing. I think she was jeered by the crowd for being dressed like a member of the "small states" games when she is a member of the SA National Swimming Team. Those small countries don't have a huge chance at major international competitions: she should have stayed in the background.

Lillia said:
Do you think Albert will be giving her appearances for Monaco by herself like CP Mary or CP Mette Marit (un-official of course)?

Again, no...she she not a Monegasque -- it would be like asking Naomi Watts to be an official representative of the United States. She may be living there for the time being, but her nationality is of another origin.

pinklady1991 said:
I agree...it's difficult as there have been better choices.

I doubt it...without some kind of formal announcement it would be foolish. She's not a Monegasque and it would be a HUGE slap in the face to his sisters, especially Caroline. I think she somewhat cleaned up her act after the GP. I'm sure there was backlash about the way she was dressed and she had some help with this recent outing. I think she was jeered by the crowd for being dressed like a member of the "small states" games when she is a member of the SA National Swimming Team. Those small countries don't have a huge chance at major international competitions: she should have stayed in the background.

Again, no...she she not a Monegasque -- it would be like asking Naomi Watts to be an official representative of the United States. She may be living there for the time being, but her nationality is of another origin.

I don't think CW is a part of SA swim team. They've been competing actively without her, she has not been training nor has she competed seriously at all anywhere.

Albert takes her around to his various activities as he chooses.:king3::queen4:

Last edited:
Albert was today for lunch in the country club with the Grand Duke of Luxemburg (I didn't see his wife but she was in the stadium to watch athletics with him later in the afternoon) and some other officials, then he went to watch Judo where Monaco won some gold and he had to witness the highly unsportive reaction of Liechtenstein as their athlete was declared 2nd after the judges decided after several interruptions for treatment of a nosebleed that she could not continue the fight and the gold was given to Malta. Obviously the athlete was disappointed, but the throwing of water bottles etc. of the supporters was absolutely unwarrented. I'm not sure whether there will be a warning for the Liechtenstein delegation. (Albert was visibly shocked as well, but so were many others. He had been in good spirits before that incidence but the smile was wiped away in a flash)

After Judo he went to watch athletics where Monaco also won a medal. I didn't see Charlene at any point and she most certainly wasn't watching swimming, but then again I wasn't there all the time so she might have been somewhere. LUxemburg were the only Royals present, Cyprus from what I gather only send their ambassador from Vienna, San MArino send their 2 heads of state, Malta send a minister (who for some bizarre reason does not appear on the group photo from the palace) and so did Liechtenstein. Iceland was represented as we know by his president and Andorra by the chef of the government. The Grand Duc and his wife seem like nice people. He looked very handsome and his wife also looked quite well.

BTW Alberts tie at the ceremony yesterday is the official Monaco tie and Charlenes blue scarf is being worn by higher officials as Mme Lambin berti who is responsible for sport and education. White is also one of the main colours of the official outfit. ( jfi: the rubbish from yesterdays ceremony has not been cleared away yet)

I don't know which other sports he watched, as obviously we do not have the same means of getting around in Monaco (public transport against accompanied limo ;) :D), but those were the ones that I saw him at.

Last edited:
He watched beach volley ball too. I saw him on TV. No sight of CW.

brother said:
perhaps albert needs more people to start whistle and boo her, at that point maybe(??) he'll get the message. if she's not pleased, why does she stay around, what can change, it's going to be worse, and worse. Displaying her in this kind of setting is bad taste, I wonder how is she introduced to the officials, as his what?? {bringing up old stuff/issues- Lady Jennifer} It is against all logic!!! Someone should ask him publicly to step down.

Actually Brother you bring up a good point has anyone ever heard him refer to Charlene as his girlfriend? Also,wasn't the whistling and booing coming from the athletes, i.e. her peers? If so that's very bad too as it shows they don't respect her as a fellow athlete.

It would be interesting for me to see her compete, really compete with the swimmers who are currently participating at the Small Games in Monaco. Could she hold her own? If not, she has no chance of making the cut for the next olympics.

But whose country would she represent? Are the Small Games qualifying events? After a whole 2 years of competitive qualifying meets around the world, CW would get to the games by swimming in a small event in Monaco? I just don't think the swimming thing is going anywhere.

Albert might have her close by in the VIP box at the opening ceremonies in Beijing (if he goes and she may be with him meeting other VIPs behind the scenes - maybe), but that's as close as she's going to get in participating, I think (not a bad deal either).:princess3:

my own opinion.:flowers:

Last edited:
It is not good idea for Albert to take Charlene to Small States game opening. I have never believed that they really date, but I think Albert should stop playing silly games with media and pretend "dating " Charlene.
Also Charlene wearing scarf matching Albert's tie. Even if she was "real girlfriend" it is not appropriate to do this at official event b/c it suggest she is same important as Albert e.g it would be different if she was his wife.
Looking at Charlene pics with Albert I think she is more and more uncomfortable at official events with him. It looks for me that "relationship" might be over soon.
I don't think Albert ever offended Charlene with his statements of " no marriage" He would if she were a real girlfriend, since I don't believe she ever been I don't think she cares. The whole "relationship" seems fake, maybe just to focus media attention on something else than recent eruptions of illegitimate children of ruling prince.

I only wonder if Miss Wittstock makes it to Olympics...She has not talked about Olympics recently, if I'm not mistaken.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pics 5.6.2007

Prince Albert II. and Charlene at the Monaco Games for European Small States
Monte Carlo, Monaco - 05.06.07

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

The more I see her the more I like her
I really hope they marry one day and soon:flowers:

I agree I would love for these two to marry. I know pictures can't tell the whole story but they always seem so well connected:flowers:

Lakshmi said:
Also Charlene wearing scarf matching Albert's tie. Even if she was "real girlfriend" it is not appropriate to do this at official event b/c it suggest she is same important as Albert e.g it would be different if she was his wife.
Looking at Charlene pics with Albert I think she is more and more uncomfortable at official events with him. It looks for me that "relationship" might be over soon.
I:rolleyes:

She is wearing that scarf because (I think) it was a dress code for the event. checking others photos you can note that also other persons seated next to them are wearing the same scarf.

I agree with you....concerning the relationship...

LadyMichelle said:
Pic n° 4....
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
This is not the way to drink of a princess!

God save us!!

:ohmy:

Pardon my ignorance but I was wondering what is wrong with her drinking from a bottle of water?

The wrong is that she is drinking without glass.
@ public event

If you do it during your training I can understand... But not @ public event. Expecially if you are the official companion of an head of state.

Does maxima, Mary, or Letizia do it? have you ever seen lady D, Queen Liz , Hilary Clinton, do it?

She is polish.

Well in the photo it would seem that all the guests are drinking from the same brand of water bottle. It would seem that this is the brand sponsering the event and so they require their name to be seen. Perhaps glasses weren't supplied.:flowers:

iceflower said:
Prince Albert II. and Charlene at the Monaco Games for European Small States
Monte Carlo, Monaco - 05.06.07

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
How could this woman step out with that hair like that? Has she ever heard of a pony tail or a stylist? Oh please Prince Albert reconsider...for the Monaguesque's sake if not your own.

crm2317 said:
Well in the photo it would seem that all the guests are drinking from the same brand of water bottle. It would seem that this is the brand sponsering the event and so they require their name to be seen. Perhaps glasses weren't supplied.:flowers:

yes, it looks like she's not doing anything different than anyone else -- drinking straight out from the bottle.

she seems very very casual and very very simple about everything -- wears her hair any kind of way, don't seem to care too much about fashions, never too interested in school, only interest in sports and swimming, couldn't care if Albert keeps saying in public that he will not commit to her (he keeps inviting her so I guess that's enough), like to lay in the sun and get a tan and take life very very easy, like to go to parties and take pictures, like to do a photo advertisement once in a while, have casual relationship with Albert -- very easy and very simple going on about everything:flowers:

Of course, we know she is ambitious, she did make it to the olympics several years ago and she is managing to hang on to Albert :king4: and get him to take care of her :crown3: -- none of those are easy thing to do.

Last edited:
Pics 5.6.2007

The Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and the Grande Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg have been Albert's guests during the Games of small states of Europe in Monaco 5 June 2007:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom