The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorIII
What kind of example is this for the Prince/Olympian of the country that is host of the event? What kind of example is Charlene? I am sure PA must have other places in all of Monaco he could shack up with CW that than on the boat where all the athletes stay.

What ever happened to the ethics side of the Olympics? what kind of examples are they being to the younger athletes? Appearances? Protocol? Has Monaco sunk that low lately?
great points, I can't imagine she's too highly regarded by her piers. The publicity she's making for athletes is just terrible. I wonder when is the last time when she's trained.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 9.6.2007

Prince Albert II of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock during the closing ceremony of the " Olympic Games of small states of Europe" in Monte-Carlo, MONACO- 09/06/2007.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

Old 06-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Some time ago I wondered why hadn't Charlene got help with her fashion.
Iceflwer's pictures prove I'm wrong, I really like how Charlene is looking at the closing ceremony - very elegant and nice, in my opinion.

Charlene and Albert 1 ; Charlene and Albert 2 ; Charlene and Albert 3
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

I agree, Charlene looked nice; black is her color.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 06-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorIII
Does anyone know if the Games of the Small States were a success? How were they run? Did anyone attend? From all I have seen, it appears Prince Albert has used Charlene to get the event in the media. That is all the photos I've seen. No athletes, no performances, just Charlene.

I think one poster )Paca? maybe?) said he spent the night on the boat with Charlene where the athletes stay. What kind of example is this for the Prince/Olympian of the country that is host of the event? What kind of example is Charlene? I am sure PA must have other places in all of Monaco he could shack up with CW that than on the boat where all the athletes stay.

What ever happened to the ethics side of the Olympics? what kind of examples are they being to the younger athletes? Appearances? Protocol? Has Monaco sunk that low lately?
Well said, WindsorIII, I think this is as much for the press as anything. Albert's people know that people will talk and talk, so why not have them talking during sport events.

Too bad they cannot find a way to focus the attention on more serious things that Albert has done or other improvements in MC -- or maybe Albert has not managed that part yet?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Some time ago I wondered why hadn't Charlene got help with her fashion.
Iceflwer's pictures prove I'm wrong, I really like how is Charlene looking at the closing ceremony - very elegant and nice, in my opinion.
I agree with you, Avalon, in addition to that I think that every woman knows: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

Here are two very nice picture galleries from the closing ceremony on Saturday:

--> picture gallery from deadline
--> picture gallery from abaca
Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Majesty

Another gallery from Deadline:

Link
Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Serene Highness

For Paca or anyone else who went, were there any members of the Princely family of Liechtenstein there?

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 06-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit
For Paca or anyone else who went, were there any members of the Princely family of Liechtenstein there?
yes the princess was there. i heard that she is quite nice. She and the duke plus wife were the only royals.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca
yes the princess was there. i heard that she is quite nice. She and the duke plus wife were the only royals.
Thanks Paca. Are you talking about the crown princess? It's funny they never seem to get photographed. And if they ARE photographed, the pics turn up MONTHS later.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 06-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, the crown princess. I think the reason why there aren't pics or not many in this case is, that the accredited photographers where from the participating countries and usually covering mainly local events and most possibly mainly sports. The occasional celebrity shot meant extra money for them but first you would need to recognize them. They were mainly younger people, so they'd recognize Brad Pitt, but not many of them (since the were mostly male) would know the royals. The caption of the country club eating pics said PA, CW and friends, when indeed it was Elizabeth Anne and Melanie (both apparently on a bad hairday). If you look at Liechtenstein reports you might find some pics of her visit though. Check the olympic comittee site and if you know local press, you might find sth there.

I still haven't quite recovered, but once I have some leisure time, I'll post a resume of the games and also what people thought about PA parading Charlene around. At present I am simply too tired ( on sunday I worked till the small hours of the morning) to sort my thoughts into readable sentences.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I still haven't quite recovered, but once I have some leisure time, I'll post a resume of the games and also what people thought about PA parading Charlene around. At present I am simply too tired ( on sunday I worked till the small hours of the morning) to sort my thoughts into readable sentences.
they thought: (with a low voice... and sometimes with a loud voice...) but i was not here during all events... there were also some gestures... I'm waiting for your post paca
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Serene Highness

lol that was very funny- im sorry its taken so long for me to post but i thought the happy face story was funny
Old 06-14-2007, 03:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yes, the crown princess. I think the reason why there aren't pics or not many in this case is, that the accredited photographers where from the participating countries and usually covering mainly local events and most possibly mainly sports. The occasional celebrity shot meant extra money for them but first you would need to recognize them. They were mainly younger people, so they'd recognize Brad Pitt, but not many of them (since the were mostly male) would know the royals. The caption of the country club eating pics said PA, CW and friends, when indeed it was Elizabeth Anne and Melanie (both apparently on a bad hairday). If you look at Liechtenstein reports you might find some pics of her visit though. Check the olympic comittee site and if you know local press, you might find sth there.

me, which I find inadmissible, they is that the games of the small States were there to honour the athletes, I read an article on Nice-Matin Monaco, the journalist puts several questions to Albert :
in here one...

Which is for you the principal attraction of these plays?

For me, these plays are before all the gathering of athletes of the small States d' Europe which, every two years since 1985, are found and are confronted with equal weapons. Hitherto in the great sporting events, it was difficult for them to exist among the sportsmen of the great nations. They wanted another competition, sanctioned by the CIO, in which they can be found, to exchange, to be on an equal footing. It is also an occasion of contacts on several levels. These plays contribute to the development of the sport in all these small states and also make it possible to carry to highest the values of the Olympic ideal: solidarity, fair play, dignity, mutual comprehension, peace.

in one second part of the article, Albert answers :

"Moreover, this event did not have yet the notoriety of today and a certain repercussion had to be ensured to him. Fortunately, the public had answered present and environment was very convivial and cordial. "

what we saw these plays, of these athletes... nothing, the journalists, the accredited photographers showed us Charlene Wittstock, still and always Charlene Wittstock... and the other athletes were forgotten... they were not the plays of the small states but it was the praise of CW and Pa.

one can say whereas they was "the small CW plays"

the principle even, the goal, the creation of this plays were forgotten, the people who were to be honoured were not it : miss respect for their work, their drives, their countries, their Heads of State... and those which would not have a being honoured it were : whereas one knows (CW) who showed her lack of drive, her lack of will, her lack... far too many lacks, and which one dares say : "athlete" ; to name: "Olympic champion" , to claim: "future princess"

lckc571
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Serene Highness

Resume part 1

Well, it is a week ago that the athletes of the little states games have left town and life is practically back into its normal flow (after 1 one week of the worst food ever, my digestion and my health are also slowly re-establishing themselves).

Time for my long promised resume.

First of all I have to say that the organization of the games was way below what I would have expected of Monaco and considering that they had 2 years and plenty of experience in big events, one would have to say that did an incredibly poor job. (Not to mention the available manpower for the organizing. My parents used to organize events like this between the 2 of them at our dinner table in less time and with less help whilst also managing to continue the usual life and stressful jobs plus children) Volunteers did not get the correct information, visiting officials were badly and incorrectly informed (due to miscommunication in organizing team), heads of states had to wait for long periods for transportation etc etc. The problem though was not that there wasn’t enough manpower, enough cars etc. there was simply no one who really was responsible and assumed responsibilities among the officials. You were always directed to someone else and often enough redirected to the initial person, that finally you gave up asking any official and made up your own sub organization to suit those whom you were responsible for. And often enough you could lend a helping hand elsewhere when the trial busses broke down just as athletes had to leave for their competition etc.etc.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

Resume part 3

Jacques Rogge mentioned in his speech that these were supposed to be the green games, which was Albert’s declared intention and the opening ceremony was only in that spirit (apparently there was no other message with regards to sport or Monaco necessary, which is a pity really considering the doping publicity certain sports have received and the role of women in sports etc etc not to mention that the host usually presents his country, but apparently there was nothing to be said – too bad), though it’s finish with paper blown into the air and still flying about 2 days later, was quite symptomatic for the greenness of the games and Monaco not getting it’s own message. Ultimately the only green thing that was detected was the 3 separate bins.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

Resume part 2

It worked fine for me once I ignored the usual ....heads who were mostly interested in getting their picture taken with VIPs. There was one person though who was probably the most respected official by those locally, but also the visiting teams and that was the director of the athletics association who was one of the major organizers. At least he was reliable with his info, always friendly (though at the end looking extremely tired), hard working and trying his best to make things work for everyone. Just a pity that there weren’t more of his kind around. The others seemed to be too busy to look important or to suck up to those who were. In any case, if they wouldn’t have had so many volunteers, who were willing to give of their time, always be friendly and doing the best under the circumstances, it would have been a disaster. The organization though did not seem to respect them as I find it highly disrespectful to give information at the last minute. People were volunteering, they did not consent to be slaves.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

Resume part 4

Things that were not green in these games:

The ship that was housing the athletes was old and running 24h per day to maintain lights and air conditioning etc. The pier was not equipped to actually provide the ship with the necessary energy. I told my father, who spend most of his life on ships and in harbours, about this and I could hear him laugh at such idiocy from Germany to here even without the phone. In Monaco matin they claim that there aren’t many harbours which are equipped for this (the veracity of this I doubt), but our harbour at home which has been built about 30 years ago has such equipment (the new part and even the older piers that shipped most immigrants from Europe to the states has been later equipped with the necessary facilities). The Monaco pier is just a few years old (but I talked to people who were actually involved in some of the works and they were mainly shaking their heads saying that they never so such unprofessional work and that it was a shame that a modern pier was delivered in such a backward state)…
Old 06-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Serene Highness

Resume part 5

Anyways they claim that the CO2 pollution was 500tons for the week. My dad says that it was probably much more if it was an older ship, which is also what I had heard on the pier. Rumour has it that that was the number per day, others say that the number needs to be tripled. In any case it did cost at least 25 000 Euros per day to charter the ship. Not to mention that the pier couldn’t be used for other ships at the time so Monaco lost money by not being able to use the pier and for being polluted 24h per day.

The cars that were used by the different delegations and VIPs were regular Renault. Why didn’t they try to get electric cars and use a different sponsor? The cars were not allowed to leave the principality anyways, so electric would have been just fine. And for the trips with the VIPs to the airport they could have used regular cars. Albert was driving at least his hybrid, so since he is practically advertising Toyota, why not ask them to sponsor the event?

There were 5 experimental buses. Unfortunately the pumps to put the fuel into the buses were not adapted so I was told by some chauffeurs that they ended up hand pumping them, which of course led to delays in athlete transportation, which led to athletes having to use several minibuses to get to their sporting venues in time.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

Resume part 6

There was only one major canteen for the volunteers to eat, which was located in Fontvielle. So unless you were volunteering in the country club with tennis, you imperatively had to travel all over town to have lunch. Especially idiotic for all events that took place in St Charles, the College technique and the beach. It would have been easily possible to make a lunch brake for those at the beach to get them by bus to the country club and the others could have used the canteens in the respective schools. The food was from the same caterer (if I dare abuse the name for the kind of food that was provided) anyways and thus instead of using one way dishes and wooden cutlery (which actually was rather dangerous if you wanted to cut meat, because it had a tendency of breaking, leaving you with splinters in your mouth) they could have used the regular canteen dishes. It wasn’t such a large number of people that it would have made a significant difference to those working the canteen. Also in the college technique there is the hotel school restaurant right next door. That could have easily been turned into a volunteers dining with the students actually preparing the food. Not all of them will be ending up working in high class restaurants, so it might have been good preparation for them. And there would have been less useless travelling around. They could have used their volunteers more effectively too because they wouldn’t have had to disappear for 2 hours for lunch