Princess Mabel and 'The Elders' and 'Girls Not Brides'

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sad to hear about her resignation. What a wonderful opportunity she's had being their CEO. Hopefully she will cherish the memories and find something as meaningful and fulfilling that will allow her to spend time with her husband without traveling so much.

I am sure that she feels torn between her attention due her job and her attention to her children. I can't imagine she can spend much time the the prince.

So sad to hear about her resignation. What a wonderful opportunity she's had being their CEO. Hopefully she will cherish the memories and find something as meaningful and fulfilling that will allow her to spend time with her husband without traveling so much.

She has something very meaningfull and fullfilling,being with her daughters as much as possible and being at her husbands bedside,every day.Something she already did.Much of her work could be done from home,and that's where she was almost all the time these past 2 months.The travelling as a CEO would become too much of a strain at present as we all understand I think.Adjusting to situations asks time and courage.I admire her for her courage and have the greatest respect for her choices.

Apparently she will work part-time until they found a replacement.
Sad, but quite understandable, esp. as she has to take care of her two daughters without the support of her husband now.

Absoluetly, she is much to be admired. A terrible position.

I think she is right her daughters need her. What an awful situation with children too young to understand and who ask for their father !
The Princess Mabel has resigned as CEO of The Elders as of now due to her "personal situation" .
The Elders accepted the resignation with great and deep regret.

She has something very meaningfull and fullfilling,being with her daughters as much as possible and being at her husbands bedside,every day.Something she already did.Much of her work could be done from home,and that's where she was almost all the time these past 2 months.The travelling as a CEO would become too much of a strain at present as we all understand I think.Adjusting to situations asks time and courage.I admire her for her courage and have the greatest respect for her choices.
I do think that you might have mistaken what I was saying. I was not implying that her husband and children weren't meaningful or fulfilling. As most of us know families are the most precious thing that we have. I was only thinking that she could be involved with some type of organization in London that would benefit greatly from her expertise, which in turn would give her an outlet. No more, no less. And it was a great lose for the Elders.

No no no,I understood.Another job,the very thought of it,is not opportune not to say out of the question at this point.HRH still is a part-time adviser to The Elders,like Marengo explained untill they found a replacement.Will be a tough job to fill.You?...;)

No no no,I understood.Another job,the very thought of it,is not opportune not to say out of the question at this point.HRH still is a part-time adviser to The Elders,like Marengo explained untill they found a replacement.Will be a tough job to fill.You?...;)
Oh, I don't think she needs to run out and find something right now. Just in the future (6 months, a year, whenever). I think that Mabel is a very intellegent woman with a load of potential to do good.

Oh, Desmond Tutu's words are really moving

Beautiful words.

Very touching and true. Not just a platitude.

Yesterday, Princess Mabel attended the screening of the movie 'Tall as the Baobab Tree' and the discussion about ending child marriage during the 'Movies that Matter Festival' in The Hague, March 24, 2013.
Princess Mabel is still a senior adviser (on a part-time basis) of The Elders for the initiative 'Girls not Brides: the global partnership to end child marriage'.
Pictures APA-PictureDesk

http://www.moviesthatmatter.nl/nieuws/nieuwsbericht/958
Google Translation

Last edited:
Glad that she is still with The Elders, even in a limited capacity.

The organisation 'Girls not brides', founded by Pss Mabel, received 7 million euros from the Canadian government. The organisation also received a human rights award.

ROYALBLOG.NL: Canada eert prinses Mabel en Girls Not Brides met mensenrechtenprijs

A Canadian article:

OTTAWA -- A Dutch princess lauded by the Harper government for her efforts to oppose the forced marriage of young girls is calling on Canada and its wealthy partner countries to boost overall aid spending.
Princess Mabel van Oranje of the Netherlands praised the government's so-called child bride initiative, saying it has made Canada a world leader on an international development issue that has few champions.
On Tuesday, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird bestowed the government's John Diefenbaker human rights award on van Oranje's organization, Girls Not Brides, an umbrella group of 400 non-governmental organizations operating in 60 countries.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/tori...h-reproductive-health-1.2107983#ixzz3JUdwpg4y

Last edited:
:previous:

an opinion article from princess Mabel to the 'Toronto Star' about what else Canada can do to help the initiative 'Girls Not Brides':

A leader in fighting child marriage, Canada can still do more
Canada has been a leader on the global stage in fighting child marriage. Will it now match that leadership with more funding and large-scale programs?

Last Friday, thanks to the leadership of the government of Canada and its partner Zambia, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a historic resolution on child, early and forced marriage. The resolution compels us to take child marriage seriously, recognizing it as a global problem that undermines our efforts to reduce poverty and build a world that is more equal.

Each of the 15 million girls a year who marry as children has a story that cuts right to your heart. In Zambia I recently met Chi-Chi who was 15 when her father married her off in exchange for a bride price. Her marriage was not a happy one. She dropped out of school, was beaten by her husband and became a mother before she was ready.

read more here: A leader in fighting child marriage, Canada can still do more | Toronto Star

via: ATR

Princess Mabel received the Champions for Change Award for her work as initiator and chair of "Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage" in London yesteray, March 12. The award is an initiative of the International Centre for Research on Women, Crown Princess Mary as Patron handed out the award:

** dpp gallery: Princess Mabel receives Champions for Change award by Crown Princess Mary **

** ppe gallery ** anp gallery ** royalista.com article ** pm gallery: Mary honore Mabel à Londres **

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7UaBO-xyQ

Last edited:
Great pictures of the day

What a worthy cause, well done to Mabel and the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her body of work certainly puts the quibbles over her wardrobe in it's right place, namely in the trash. There are few royals who can, and have, had such a long term effect on the world stage in this way and, if I am correct, her initial participation predates her marriage.

Only my feeling, but it shows what can be achieved with a supportive family behind you, supporting and enabling you to be the best you can be. Mabel certainly had that and she certainly earned her award.

Princess Mabel as Chair of Girls Not Brides (and Princess Viktória) attended an expert meeting on child marriage organized by Save the Children in Den Haag today, October 7:

** ppe gallery **

:previous: Thanks for the photos iceflower. It's nice to see Princess Mabel and Princess Viktoria together.

Princess Mabel as Chairwoman of 'Girls Not Brides' launched - together with the Foundation Children Stamps, Plan Netherlands and Save the Children - the organization 'Girls Not Brides Netherlands' in Amsterdam, today, November 7:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** anp gallery **

Back
Top Bottom