Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with this thread, but I found it very interesting that the news of 'Prince' Pierre Casaraghi's latest shenanigans were in the NY city newspapers. It's really very sad that the editors would post a story about someone, while a 'real prince' well being is just thrown to the wind.

I think that's only because Grace Kelly was an American, so people are still interested.

I don't think many Americans would be able to identify Friso (I heard someone here assume he was a member of the British RF).

This has nothing to do with this thread, but I found it very interesting that the news of 'Prince' Pierre Casaraghi's latest shenanigans were in the NY city newspapers. It's really very sad that the editors would post a story about someone, while a 'real prince' well being is just thrown to the wind.

Probably because no one in the United States really gives a fig for the medical status of a Dutch prince, and Pierre Casaraghi is Grace Kelly's grandson, and the Monagasque Royal Family has always been of interest here, same with the British Royal Family.

That's not meant to slight Prince Friso's condition, just that you can't really be surprised that a US newspaper isn't talking about it.

At this point the family probably wants to be together. And the best way to keep Zaria and Luana occupied is probably to let them play with their cousins.

I understand the PoO's irritation. He has shown it before on many occassions but in this case I find it more understandable. Of course he just gets the opposite reaction as intended": more camera lenses/journalists to follow the incident instead of the AP journalist leaving him alone.

I understand his irritation, too, and I'm sure you're right about the family wanting to be together.

I agree completely about his tendency to create situations that lead to the opposite of what he wants with regard to the press. It's amazing that he (or his advisers) don't save him from this.

This story has received very little news in the United States. I saw a few short sentences in the Orlando Sentinel and that was it.

I don't know that much about skiing but reading these comments I learned something about skiing.

This story has received very little news in the United States. I saw a few short sentences in the Orlando Sentinel and that was it.

That's why I don't rely on the US newspapers or TV news. I get most of my news from the BBC and UK Telegraph sites, as well as Google News. Plus this forum of course!

I think that's only because Grace Kelly was an American, so people are still interested.

I don't think many Americans would be able to identify Friso (I heard someone here assume he was a member of the British RF).

Exactly. It is only because of the Princess Grace connection that they get attention. I expect interest to die down on Monaco royals as the years go by and the connection becomes more distant.

I expect the U.S. will always have an interest in British royals partly because we were once British colonies.

Otherwise, royals get very little notice here. If I wasn't on on this board, I wouldn't have a clue who he was. He and his family are in my prayers. Very sad situation.

I am sure this is one of the many questions that the family is discussing with their medical advisors. In any case, the media pressure seems to be off (the Dutch media are headed home for the story about the Dutch labour party leader resigning!:flowers:)

The only good news I've heard yesterday,yes...and Rob Ouwerkerk saying its best to dissolve the entire party...( :flowers: )

To get back to topic,it was a show of loyalty to long time friend Florian Moosbrugger that he was taken to the hospital with Princess Mabel and Prince Constantijn,just to make clear where the RF stands in this,and in the ongoing police investigation into the accident.They clearly signal their loyalty and confidence in Florian Moosbrugger.Good!Before some junky newspaper takes it as a hyped up non news story again.The investigation is mandatory,a routine in all simular cases,and nothing else.

Was there really a reason to diss Pierre for not being a "real Prince"?
First Pierre is young and handsome so that might have to do with him getting mentioned; plus he is related to Grace Kelly whom is still glorified in this country.
I do think the US needs to take some time to learn that there are various European royal families in Europe, but Friso isn't exactly the person to do such a thing.
I will say that I would have thought the US media would have mentioned it at least in passing, but perhaps they only pay attention to foreign government leaders.

To get back to topic,it was a show of loyalty to long time friend Florian Moosbrugger that he was taken to the hospital with Princess Mabel and Prince Constantijn,just to make clear where the RF stands in this,and in the ongoing police investigation into the accident.They clearly signal their loyalty and confidence in Florian Moosbrugger.Good!Before some junky newspaper takes it as a hyped up non news story again.The investigation is mandatory,a routine in all simular cases,and nothing else.

HM and Princess Mabel will again travel to Innsbruck this morning as they do each day.Two hours from Lech- two hours back,two hours with their son and husband.
A sad routine.

Just one question how far away is the hospital in Innsbruck from Lech? I was wondering why the family or at least Princess Mabel and the Queen simply don't stay somewhere close to the hospital so that they avoid travelling time. But maybe I am mistaken and the distance is not that far or other reasons like keeping the kids occupied or because of security reasons played a master role as well.

I truely hope that the prince will get better soon.

I have removed several posts which had nothing to do with anything related to this thread. Please try and stay on topic.

Also, the Dutch mods would like to ask everyone to keep their attitudes in check - we understand that this thread is an emotional one, but please, there is no need for arguments.

JessRulz
Dutch Forum Moderator

Just one question how far away is the hospital in Innsbruck from Lech? I was wondering why the family or at least Princess Mabel and the Queen simply don't stay somewhere close to the hospital so that they avoid travelling time. But maybe I am mistaken and the distance is not that far or other reasons like keeping the kids occupied or because of security reasons played a master role as well.

The trip between Lech and Innsbruck takes an hour and a half.

The most logical reason for Mabel and Beatrix to stay in Lech is that is where their family is - the people who can give them support. And as they have all eight children there in Lech, it would be make a difficult situation worse on the children if Mabel and Beatrix were to disappear for several days on end staying in Innsbruck. This way, the children - more specifically Luana and Zaria - still have semblance of a routine.

The trip between Lech and Innsbruck takes an hour and a half.

The most logical reason for Mabel and Beatrix to stay in Lech is that is where their family is - the people who can give them support. And as they have all eight children there in Lech, it would be make a difficult situation worse on the children if Mabel and Beatrix were to disappear for several days on end staying in Innsbruck. This way, the children - more specifically Luana and Zaria - still have semblance of a routine.

Thank you, JessRulz.

It is 130 km from Lech to Innsbruck,about a two hours drive through the Alps.HM and the Princess wish to stay close to the children,to maintain a as normal as possible stay for them too,and ofcourse it is very important to have the whole family together at one point at this time,it helps cope.

I had no idea it was such a long commute each way! Does Mabel usually visit once each day? I'm sure the hospital has extremely strict visitation policies in these cases for loved one's protection, as well as other patients in their care?

Last edited:
I had no it was such a long commute each way! Does Mabel usually visit once each day? I'm sure the hospital has strict visitation policies in these cases for loved ones protection, as well as other patients in their care?

Twice a day,in the morning with HM,in the evening with other members of the family,or like last night with Prince Constantijn and dear friend Florian Moosbrugger.In between she is with her children and HM.

The hospital requested earlyer this week to minimize the amount of visitors for Friso.In similar cases only two at most at the time are admitted at the bedside.

It is 130 km from Lech to Innsbruck,about a two hours drive through the Alps.HM and the Princess wish to stay close to the children,to maintain a as normal as possible stay for them too,and ofcourse it is very important to have the whole family together at one point at this time,it helps cope.

Plus it is a comfortable and known environment for the family. There are some good hotels at Innsbruck but it's not as convenient as their known holiday home for so many years. Compared to that the drive is not so bad. And from Landeck onwards it's the motorway anyway, so it's not as if they have the feeling their are touring the Alps again and again.

I had assumed that Friso was well out of the danger zone as there has been no media reports on the story here in the UK since the day it happened.

I hope that Friso is able to make a strong recovery and the lasting effects of the lack of oxygen are as minimal as possible.

I had assumed that Friso was well out of the danger zone as there has been no media reports on the story here in the UK since the day it happened.

I hope that Friso is able to make a strong recovery and the lasting effects of the lack of oxygen are as minimal as possible.

No no,he is still fighting for his life and thus his condition remains critical.
No changes.The first prognosis is maybe due by the end of this week,not sooner.

News - Het Koninklijk Huis

The bulletins.

Last edited:
What an effort for the whole family: knowing that a dear one is fighting for his life, keeping the children occupied, dealing with the media attention and travelling to and from the hospital. My deepest respect to all of them.

Lucien ,
Prince Friso came earlier in Lech than his brothers who had to wait until the beginning of the school holidays in the Netherlands.
The end of this week will be very important for HRH future bulletins and the first Prognosis and the Stay of the RF in Lech . Poor RF Family , already 5 days the Prince is fighting for his life .

Do you know if HM books the whole Post Hotel for her stay or are their other Guests in this Hotel ?

Why they do not move all to Insburg?? It should be exhausting to travel 3 hrs perd day!

Why they do not move all to Insburg?? It should be exhausting to travel 3 hrs perd day!

Not for privacy and comfort in an environment they've known most of their lives,no.Not an option,and in this case I very much doubt anyone in the family feels it as an exhausting trip at all,they are pre-occupied with matters far worse then a daily three hour trip.Six hours for Princess Mabel as she visits her husband twice a day.

@ Maria Olivia,no,HM isn't the only guest but as discretion is top priority in establishments as Gasthof Post,it comes natural that no-one lurks at others or is otherwise offensive or respectless.At this level of luxury one can expect there are more then a few people staying who just as much welcome their privacy,and are sometimes just as well or even better known.The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima stay at a place a little down the road from Gasthof Post.I believe it has some 45 or 50 rooms and suites,something like that so it wouldn't be economical to rent that out to just one family even if that is the Royal Family.They are all habitué in the place for years,decades even in case of our RF.

Have a look:

http://www.postlech.com/

Last edited:
Queen Beatrix of the Neatherlands and her daughter-in-law Princess Mabel arrive at the hospital in Innsbruck, Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012, five days after the Queen's second son Prince Johan Friso was rushed to the intensive care unit of Innsbruck's main hospital after he was buried by an avalanche.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0acee1H1W9cRi/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/005z38DfTuaSB/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bw51246Dn8Iw/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aPD3gJ2Zi9Up/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fPaeb40Qr2Hj/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dRa94tdND91R/x610.jpg

Queen Beatrix of the Neatherlands and her daughter-in-law Princess Mabel arrive at the hospital in Innsbruck, Wednesday, Feb 22, 2012, five days after the Queen's second son Prince Johan Friso was rushed to the intensive care unit of Innsbruck's main hospital after he was buried by an avalanche.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0acee1H1W9cRi/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/005z38DfTuaSB/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bw51246Dn8Iw/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aPD3gJ2Zi9Up/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fPaeb40Qr2Hj/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dRa94tdND91R/x610.jpg

thanks for these pictures, although one feels guilty looking through the lens of the papparazi:bang: There is however the opportunity of 'reading' the faces and body language of HM and her daughter-in-law. That slight smile may give rise to optimism perhaps? The Dutch tabloid de Telegraaf reports the expectation that the prince's body temperature is now being brought up to normal levels, so let's hope there will be good news soon. Dum spiro spero:flowers:

Their faces do look a bit more relaxed, and you can see some smiles. Hopefully that's an indication of some optimistic news.

Sad to see them in such a situation but the Queen & Mabel seem to slide a smile but gives hope that there is an improvement or good news.

Sad to see them in such a situation but the Queen & Mabel seem to slide a smile but gives hope that there is an improvement or good news.

No,not so I'm afraid..This afternoon a bulletin was released which,again,stated there is no change in Prince Friso's condition,at all.The medical team says they will come with a prognosis as soon as they think possible,but that is not yet the case.

The bulletin followed immediatly after HM and Princess Mabel had left the hospital after their daily visit.HM and the Princess did smile at one point.
The word by the medical team can indicate a prognosis might be delayed.

That might mean the prognosis might be delayed due to the present condition of Friso,who is still fighting for his life.For 5 days in a row.

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/globale-paginas/taalrubrieken/english/news/

Last edited:
Many thanks for sharing those pics. Yes, it seems their faces are more relaxed and maybe that is a good indication. Really hope that Prince Friso gets better every day !! He is constantly in my prayers.

No,not so I'm afraid..This afternoon a bulletin was released which,again,stated there is no change in Prince Friso's condition,at all.The medical team says they will come with a prognosis as soon as they think possible,but that is not yet the case.

The bulletin followed immediatly after HM and Princess Mabel had left the hospital after their daily visit.HM and the Princess did smile at one point.
The word by the medical team can indicate a prognosis might be delayed.
Thank you Lucien. I always wait for your comments as they are truthful and not "sugar coated", which is what is needed now. My local small church has placed his name on their 'prayer circle list'. It all helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom