Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Dutch Royal buried in avalanche in Austria?

I just heard on the BBC News that a member of the Dutch Royal Family has been killed in a avalanche in Austria.I hope I heard this correctly,it was just on breaking news!

Last edited:
I hadn't heard killed, but I did just see this Breaking News tweet.

@BreakingNews Member of Dutch royal family buried by avalanche in Austria - Austrian news agency APA via @Reuters

Goodness I wonder which member of the Royal Family was in Austria?

I may have misheard the news as it was on in the background,it could well have said 'buried' & not killed as I posted.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on the Dutch royals, but I believe the Royal Family's annual ski holiday is in Lech, Austria.

I believe Her Majesty The queen is currently in Austria!

Goodness I wonder which member of the Royal Family was in Austria?

I may have misheard the news as it was on in the background,it could well have said 'buried' & not killed as I posted.

It's Johan Friso and he is in the hospital now.

Just saw the news flash on Sky News. Glad to hear he is alive.

According to Kronen Zeitung, he is in critical condition.

He was buried for 15 minuttes and paramedics revived him (So it was in the very last minute apparantly). He has now been brought to a hospital, where his condition is described as critical.

Last edited:
I hope that his condition improves and he recovers quickly.

Dutch Royal buried in avalanche in Austria?

I just heard on the BBC News that a member of the Dutch Royal Family has been killed in a avalanche in Austria.I hope I heard this correctly,it was just on breaking news!

NO!Not true,but the Prince Friso is in a critical condition.

The rest of the group,including HM and the Prince of Orange were not hurt.Allthough not an official piste,it was cleared to ski.

It's awfull enough as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being buried in an avalanche is like being buried in cement. The snow is rock hard and no air to breath. Miracle that he was pulled out alive after 15 minutes. Let's hope he will be ok.

what does the duch press say`?
are there any reports from the hospital?

There will be a press conference at 5pm in the Netherlands by the mayor of Lech and the spokesman of the Royal Family (Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst)

Regierung in Den Haag: „Nicht außer Lebensgefahr“

Laut APA schwebt Johan Friso in Lebensgefahr, dies habe die niederländische Nachrichtenagentur ANP unter Berufung auf den Pressedienst der Regierung in Den Haag mitgeteilt. Sein Zustand sei „stabil“, er sei „aber nicht außer Lebensgefahr“, teilte der Pressedienst mit.

according to the dutch goverment he is stable but sitll not out of danger

Could the administrator change the name of this thread to Prince Friso Hit by Avalanche? The current title Ia mialeading

Regierung in Den Haag: „Nicht außer Lebensgefahr“

Laut APA schwebt Johan Friso in Lebensgefahr, dies habe die niederländische Nachrichtenagentur ANP unter Berufung auf den Pressedienst der Regierung in Den Haag mitgeteilt. Sein Zustand sei „stabil“, er sei „aber nicht außer Lebensgefahr“, teilte der Pressedienst mit.

according to the dutch goverment he is stable but sitll not out of danger

Yes,his condition is critical but he does stand a chance in the shock-room of the hospital in Innsbruck,20 minutes is long but he can be saved still, please hope and pray he will be lucky.For Him,his own family,HM,and the entire Dutch RF.

Allthough not an official piste,it WAS cleared so could be used,and they did...

Last edited:
More details from Kronen Zeitung: Arlberg: Prinz Johan Friso von Lawine verschttet - Drama um Prinzen - Stars & Society - krone.at

Friso was skiing off piste.
He was buried under half a metre of snow.
Someone accompanying him ensured he was dug out within 20 minutes.
He was flown to the hospital.
He had to be revived while in the air.
There were no ski-guides or instructors in the group the Prince went with.
Avalance risk was set at level 4.
He was in a group of four.
His condition is described as "stable but not out of danger".
A search party forming a chain was on hand very quickly.

Last edited:
justina said:
Niederländischer Prinz von Lawine verschüttet - vorarlberg.ORF.at

He was skiing outside the pists, thouhg we have avalanche warning 4 (highest level is 5) - so it was quite irresponsible of him to do so.
He is in the shock-room of the university-hospital in Innsbruck at the moment

According to the mayor, that slope was deemed safe for skiing. Perhaps still not a wise thing to do geven the conditions. But if an area is cleared as safe....

Thoughts and prayers are with Her Majesty and the Dutch Royal family at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom