Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodness has it been a year already. I would never have thought it. This is a nice gesture to hold a service. I will think of him and his family on this anniversary. I often think of their situation and how difficult it is for the family as dear Friso is not really living nor has he passed away. Just stuck in limbo. I would love to see a miracle happen here. One can only just keep a little faith I guess.

I hope this bring them comfort. They carry a great burden, but because of their , obvious, love for one another they lighten each others load. I wish them peace.

I read on another website that the RVD have announced that the royal family will not be attending the church service as had previously been believed. They will however still go ahead with the planned photoshoot.

Last edited:
A year to the day today since the avalange,Lech has not forgotten Friso.
A candle and a picture of Prince Friso at the Old Church
as Lech remembers the Prince.

Cookies op de websites van RTL Nederland

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1420918

http://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1422289

Courtesy Robin Utrecht.

Also,it turns out that contrary to what was thought before the avalange didn't drag Friso along for 200 meters,but for at least an estimated 500 meters.This was revealed in the annual Austrian Avalange Emergency reports.That is a considerable difference in term of chances of survival....200 meters is difficult,but 500 meters...The body gets so shaken..if one can call it that,surviving that is close to impossible.And seen the damage it has caused....It is.Too awfull.

Last edited:
I can't believe it, that it is now one year ago. My prayers are still with him and his family. May soon his condition improve and a miracle happen!

I had to make the hard decision that faces this family. So difficult. Thoughts and prayers with them today.

Principessa: I can't believe it either. I thought Friso would recover quicker than this; I pray that he recovers some time this year. The Dutch Royals (especially Beatrix, Mabel and her children) must be having a sad time at the moment.

Last edited:
:previous: It will take a miracle for Friso to recover - now is the time to be realistic and consider the impact on the family, especially the children.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but he is not with them and he probably will never really be with them again.

How can they ever live a full life?

:previous: It will take a miracle for Friso to recover - now is the time to be realistic and consider the impact on the family, especially the children.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but he is not with them and he probably will never really be with them again.

How can they ever live a full life?

I hope that doesn't happen :sad:. I'm thinking about my previous post and agree with you now, that it would take a miracle for the Prince to recover this year. But I do hope that he eventually recovers, if it's this year, next year, the year after that, or later. I never thought about this before, but this thread is actually very serious! :ohmy:

Last edited:
I hope that doesn't happen :sad:. I'm thinking about my previous post and agree with you now, that it would take a miracle for the Prince to recover this year. But I do hope that he eventually recovers, if it's this year, next year, the year after that, or later. I never thought about this before but this thread is very serious! :ohmy:

Yes it is, very serious. My view is that his family are living a half life; the man they love will not return. If a miracle happens, Friso will not be the same. This is living in limbo.

:previous: I agree with you about the fact that if he wakes up, Friso will be different. It will be difficult for his wife and children, and all of the Dutch Royal Family, I think.

Yes it is, very serious. My view is that his family are living a half life; the man they love will not return. If a miracle happens, Friso will not be the same. This is living in limbo.
I certainly take objection to someone else's life is being called "half" because their circumstances are challenging. We have no inherent right to a perfect life. Our lives are full if we accept the challenges we are given and rejoice in the fact we are alive, have families and/or friends that we can share love and tears with.

The longer someone is in a comatose state, the less likely it is that the person will have some type of recovery or even wake up from the coma. Unless a person can verbalize or communicate to people around them what's going on (whether they feel pain) it's really hard to tell then whether they are aware of what is going on.

I really do believe that if he were to regain consciousness he would be totally helpless and bedridden forever. Is that a life? By this time many muscles would have atrophied and I'm sure his organs would never be able to function normally. Not a pleasant prospect at all.

I am sorry to say that the possibility of a good ending here is virtually nil at this point. Yes, "miracles" do happen, but not this far out, and it's a false hope at this point.

I agree that this state of limbo must be a hell on earth for his wife and daughters and there needs to be closure. JMHO, of course, and his family may see it differently and I respect that.

I do have the feeling that if Mabel decides to terminate supports, if she can legally given his condition, it will be done after Beatrix leaves the throne, so she has the ability to grieve fully in private.

I certainly take objection to someone else's life is being called "half" because their circumstances are challenging. We have no inherent right to a perfect life. Our lives are full if we accept the challenges we are given and rejoice in the fact we are alive, have families and/or friends that we can share love and tears with.

I respect your opinion and I think you should respect alternatives. It all sounds lovely the way you describe it but Friso cannot take on any of the challenges you mention. Tthe children don't have a father, his wife is watching daily as her husband is fading further away and his mother, brothers and wider family are helpless. It is an act of charity to empathise with the issues they face.

People need to be realistic not just about the life that totally relies on support, but the impact on others.

I am sorry to say that the possibility of a good ending here is virtually nil at this point. Yes, "miracles" do happen, but not this far out, and it's a false hope at this point.

I agree that this state of limbo must be a hell on earth for his wife and daughters and there needs to be closure. JMHO, of course, and his family may see it differently and I respect that.

I do have the feeling that if Mabel decides to terminate supports, if she can legally given his condition, it will be done after Beatrix leaves the throne, so she has the ability to grieve fully in private.

I agree fully with what you say about Beatrix. I'm sure that Friso's condition is part of her reason to abdicate. It is so v difficult for all the family.

I do not know if Beatrix is going to abdicate because of Friso. Perhaps, that is true or it was planned and it is time. He is severly brained damaged and, I, believe, does not breathe on his own and half life is a nice term, but not even that. Sorry, Grevinnan, he doesn't have a half live, he has no life and his family lives in a nether world of pain, which you, perhaps, no concept of. A world where he deteriorates each day and little is left of the man they once knew and loved. Miracles happen, but I think not here.

Every so often I come back to this thread when I see it highlighted, thinking that the inevitable has happened. To see that Friso's condition remains the same with no realistic hope of any miraculous recovery is about as sad as it can get. The limbo that his family must be living, as well as his state of existence, must be hell and I just feel so sad for his children. I'm sure a good part of the Queen's decision to abdicate has to do with her son's condition and I hope being out of the limelight as a reigning monarch gives her some relief to cope with this stress and pain. Perhaps a viable decision will now be reached to terminate life support if it is deemed to be the only solution. There's really no easy answer anymore.

Last edited:
I think it's worth keeping two things in mind. First, we actually have very little information regarding the medical specifics of the prince's condition at this point in time. Second, if they're typical of most loving family members in these situations, Beatrix and Mabel are by now the most knowledgeable people on earth regarding Friso's overall status. They've no doubt had endless conversations with multiple doctors, done research and reading on their own, and they're in the best position to know what pre-accident Friso's wishes would have been. Within whatever framework of choices they actually have, they're making the ones they feel are best for Friso and their family - and, as of now, they've decided to NOT terminate any support measures he may be getting.

This situation is all speculation at this point since we don't know the specific facts and I commented that any termination of life support by the family is viable if deemed to be the only solution. That's why I rarely visit this site; I wouldn't presume to put myself in their shoes as far as what they decide is best for Friso and his family.

Last edited:
This situation is all speculation at this point since we don't know the specific facts and I commented that any termination of life support by the family is viable if deemed to be the only solution. That's why I rarely visit this site; I wouldn't presume to put myself in their shoes as far as what they decide is best for Friso and his family.

Indeed Baroness of Books,I fully agree.

Any updates.

According to Wikipedia, 7 months ago he was showing signs of consciousness.

Does anyone know if he attended/watched any of the recent events?

Any updates.

According to Wikipedia, 7 months ago he was showing signs of consciousness.

Does anyone know if he attended/watched any of the recent events?

To the best of my knowledge, Friso still hasn't regained consciousness and unfortunately still is in a coma.

Yes, Prince Friso is in a semi-vegetative state from what I understand, and may show basic reflex type movements- blinking and the like- but he is sadly completely unable to attend or watch any events and it's unlikely that he ever will be.

I agree that I would never presume to put myself in this family's shoes and give my two cents on the subject, esp. as I don't know his actual condition. It's wonderful to see Mabel treated as one of the family.

I'm sure Friso's state must have cast a shadow on what was a wonderful event last week for the DRF.

It was good to see Mabel walking with new Princess Beatrix, as two widows together. What a nice thought to do this! Not that Mabel is yet officially a widow, but her state is similar.

I have a great deal of respect for the Dutch royal family for how they have handled this entire situation. It's very easy for us to lapse into thinking these are just "characters" in some play ... while, in reality, they are real members of real families dealing with some of the very real issues many of us do. I'm happy that Mabel walked in with Princess Beatrix. Very, very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom