Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Wikipedia article on MCS:
...Those with minimally conscious state and non-traumatic brain injuries have a better chance of recovery than those with traumatic brain injuries while those in vegetative states have an all around lower to minimal chance of recovery.
Out of the 100 patients studied,3 patients fully recovered (had a DRS score of 0). These 3 patients were diagnosed with MCS and had suffered from traumatic brain injuries.
However unlikely, there is a chance Prince Friso's condition will improve, and I'm sure that's a hope his loved ones are clinging to.
MCS is actually a huge improvement because, from what I understand, now there is a hope where there wasn't one when the Prince was in vegetative state.

Although MCS is mostly regarded as a positive sign for those with non-traumatic brain injuries, even with traumatic brain injuries (as in case of Prince Friso), there is still a chance. Not of full recovery - that would be nothing short of a miracle - but of some improvement.

Let's hope for a miracle. In these dark days (war, economy) a miracle would do the world good!

Must say I am very very moved,really am,by the news bulletin today by the RVD Government Information Service that as of late Prince Friso shows slight signs of conscousness,known as minimal conscousness.The prognoses however remains uncertain and it will take months to actually have more certainty.

It is an unusual step by the RVD to issue this statement as they've always stressed they would only bring out statements in case of significant changes.This is but a minor change,and still it moves...As the communique says...Nothing is certain yet on any real improvement,that will take many more months,for the RF,and for this forum.Experience hasit that situations like these alter for the worst sooner then for the best.Keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

Princess Mabel says that this is the most difficult period in her life but that her love for Friso,the support of the family,friends and all those who have shown they care carry her through this awfull time,and she thanks everyone wholeheartedly,again.

The news was issued one hour ago at 13.30PM local time,GMT+1

Thank you, Lucien. These situations are not good. Many times, they evolved into more critical situations. Sort of the beginning of the end. Those who think that he is coming into the the "light" so to speak, are folling themselves. Princess Mabel knows this, from her comments.

For someone like me to be in this type of situation with my own father. I feel bad for the family and hope that his two little girls will be better than ever in their lives.

Thanks to those who have shared this news w/all of us. From the little I understand of this type of a situation, while there's always hope, it does sound like the beginning of the end sadly. If Princess Mabel's statement had more of an optimistic tone to it, I wouldn't be thinking this, but it just doesn't sound good at all.

I can't even begin to know just how hard it's going to be for Mabel, the girls and the entire DRF this coming Christmas. Especially for Mabel trying to give the girls as good a Christmas as she can under the circumstances. My heart just goes out to her. :(

Last edited:
Such a tragedy, I cannot even begin to think what the family is going through. I cannot help but wonder how much longer they're going to let him "live" like this. The decision is ultimately theirs, and it must be heartbreaking.
:sad:

i wonder what a state of minimal conciousness actually means. in any case, it obviously seems like an improvement although i guess it adds up to the uncertainty the family is suffering, particularly if they are debating taking him out of life support.

It is not a sign of improvement at any rate!!!It is just that some reflexes set in...That is all there is to it.Normal in simular situations.Nothing more.
I don't know what got in to the RVD to blabber this out...It is typical tho,and understandeble in a way,that those close hold on to any last straw at any time...That is what it is...and that is all the sadder,actually.

Perhaps they wanted to correct the statement of bisshop Tutu that the prince reacts to Princess Mabel?

It is not a sign of improvement at any rate!!!It is just that some reflexes set in...That is all there is to it.Normal in simular situations.Nothing more.
I don't know what got in to the RVD to blabber this out...It is typical tho,and understandeble in a way,that those close hold on to any last straw at any time...That is what it is...and that is all the sadder,actually.
So understandable and so so sad :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Of course it is a sign of improvement, as little as it may be.
It is a "medically significant change" and that's why the RF made an official announcement (according to the press release, News - Het Koninklijk Huis).

MCS is more than "just reflexes setting in". Please see the Wikipedia article:
Although MCS patients are able to demonstrate cognitively mediated behavior, they occur inconsistently. They are, however, reproducible or can be sustained long enough to be differentiated from reflexive behavior....
One of the defining characteristics of minimally conscious state is the more continuous improvement and significantly more favorable outcomes post injury when compared with vegetative state.
It's difficult to diagnose MCS and I think the doctors and the royal family waited until they were sure about the diagnosis before they went public with it.

The prognosis (fore-seeing, predicting the outcome) is - of course - still uncertain. His condition might get better, it might stay as it is now or it might get worse again. All his family can do is to hope.

Last edited:
Of course it is a sign of improvement, as little as it may be.
It is a "medically significant change" and that's why the RF made an official announcement (according to the press release, News - Het Koninklijk Huis).

MCS is more than "just reflexes setting in". Please see the Wikipedia article:
It's difficult to diagnose MCS and I think the doctors and the royal family waited until they were sure about the diagnosis before they went public with it.

The prognosis (fore-seeing, predicting the outcome) is - of course - still uncertain. His condition might get better, it might stay as it is now or it might get worse again. All his family can do is to hope.

You are quite right in some repsects, but Friso does not breathe on his own, a very big problem and his injury was caused by excessive anoxia, which is far different that a traumatic brain injury. Everyone, wishes he could recover, but hailing this small change in diagnoses, as that event, is not only premature, it may be foolhardy.

Has anyone thought what Prince Friso would want. A highly intelligent man, now reduced to this.
As most of us would say, and our families tell us as well, "please never let me live if this is what 'being alive' is".
Surely he would not want to be like this, and would wish for an end....

Given how long his brain was deprived of oxygen I can only see one outcome in all of this. It may seem harsh but I firmly believe death with dignity is much better than a prolonged life with out quality of life.

NGalitine, this is my point exactly!!!!

However with personal experience (I had to turn off machines of my 23 year old son after 3 weeks of illness) it takes a VERY brave person to take the step. And it would appear that the family are not there, yet!

I wish them the best and to make the best decision for Prince Friso, not for themselves. That is the difference, and often this is blurred!!!

Given how long his brain was deprived of oxygen I can only see one outcome in all of this. It may seem harsh but I firmly believe death with dignity is much better than a prolonged life with out quality of life.

I, believe, you are correct. But, his family loves him and it is not so easy to let go, even if there is just a glimmer of hope. Many people confuse traumatic brain injury and anxoia, there is a dramatic difference.

I strongly agree with you NGalitzine, and this is a prime example of why one should decide if you, in a situation like Prince Friso's, wanna live on by the help of a life support machine, and not leave it up to your loved ones. The same goes for donating organs, it should be mandatory for people to fill out forms themselves and not leave such hard decisions up to their family.

You are quite right in some repsects, but Friso does not breathe on his own,..
AFAIK it was NEVER officially announced that Friso does not breathe on his own. This is pure assumption of board members.
AFAIR it is not even known for sure how long he was deprived of oxygen under the snow.

Back in February the doctor only said that Friso has extensive brain damage and it may take months or even years to recover.
Now - after 9 months - we have an announcement that Friso has minimal conscience. That's all we know for a fact.

I am sure Friso has the best doctors and the best care which money can buy. He also has a wife who gave up her job to be able to concentrate more on him (and her children). So, his chances of improvement are probably better than those of other patients.

It also takes a VERY brave person to go on hoping in such a situation of uncertainty and to live with a handicapped person (since the chance of a full recovery is indeed very near zero).

Last edited:
I hope this is the correct thread for posting this. But, I've been thinking of Queen Beatrix and Princess Mabel and children especially. I would think that Christmas will be difficult for them and I pray for the Lord's comfort.

AFAIK it was NEVER officially announced that Friso does not breathe on his own. This is pure assumption of board members.
AFAIR it is not even known for sure how long he was deprived of oxygen under the snow.

Back in February the doctor only said that Friso has extensive brain damage and it may take months or even years to recover.
Now - after 9 months - we have an announcement that Friso has minimal conscience. That's all we know for a fact.

I am sure Friso has the best doctors and the best care which money can buy. He also has a wife who gave up her job to be able to concentrate more on him (and her children). So, his chances of improvement are probably better than those of other patients.

It also takes a VERY brave person to go on hoping in such a situation of uncertainty and to live with a handicapped person (since the chance of a full recovery is indeed very near zero).

As much as I remeber, they doctors said in the press conference, that Friso was 50 Minutes without air.
BYe Bine

Zijne Koninklijke Hoogheid Prins Friso, 24 februari 2012 - 13:10 - Het Koninklijk Huis

Official announcement in february concerning the accident, mentioned is that he had to be reanimated (and that his heart stopped beating..) for 50 minutes

And the doctors also mentioned that that was long...perhaps too long as was the statement...Too long was an understatement of sorts if there ever was one.....It is not done,for over 20 minutes,THAT is the limit..Everywhere...and even shorter,but never longer then that....Never.Anywhere. Totally bezirk,rediculous and overzealous to a fault......And,really,it will never get any better,or rather worse,then this present situation,never,nunca,ever,as a result.What tragedy.Too sad.

There will be a special Holy Mass commemorating the accident that involved HRH Prince Friso at the Sankt Nikolaus Church in Lech,Austria this coming sunday,february 17th.A year to the day since the Prince was caught by an avalange in the winter resort where the Dutch Royal Family takes up residence every winter since 60 years.

Princess Mabel and other members of the Royal Family will attend the Mass for Friso and the media are kindly requested not to photograph or film & videotape.It is expected that the whole village will be in attendance again too as they all know the RF and
have a strong bond of friendship,warmth and discretion.

There will be a special Holy Mass commemorating the accident that involved HRH Prince Friso at the Sankt Nikolaus Church in Lech,Austria this coming sunday,february 17th.A year to the day since the Prince was caught by an avalange in the winter resort where the Dutch Royal Family takes up residence every winter since 60 years.

Princess Mabel and other members of the Royal Family will attend the Mass for Friso and the media are kindly requested not to photograph or film & videotape.It is expected that the whole village will be in attendance again too as they all know the RF and
have a strong bond of friendship,warmth and discretion.

That's so touching,I read this article earlier.

Prayers for Prince Friso in Church of St Nicolas in Lech.

Prayers for Prince Friso in Church of Lech - News Summary ROYALBLOG.NL

:previous:
That's a really touching gesture. I hope the press will comply with the request.

This trip is going to be a very emotionally trying experience for the Royal Family but hopefully, it will bring some kind of closure as well.

This is very sad. I hope the poor fellow passes away peacefully, for his sake, and quickly, for everyone's sake.

:previous:
That's a really touching gesture. I hope the press will comply with the request.

This trip is going to be a very emotionally trying experience for the Royal Family but hopefully, it will bring some kind of closure as well.

The press may respect the families privacy, and I hope they do, but no doubt some member of the public will pull out their cell phone and take some pics or video of the event, and if they can make a quick buck sell the pictures. As a poster said on another thread if you are out in public they would have no qualms about taking pics and making money off of another person. People no longer respect their own privacy so it may be too much to expect them to respect other peoples privacy.

:previous: That's a rather low blow. The circumstances are very different. In any event, I doubt there's the same market.

:previous: That's a rather low blow. The circumstances are very different. In any event, I doubt there's the same market.

I agree. The circumstances are different. But according to some, nobody is more entitled on this planet than a certain 30-year-old man and his pregnant wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom