Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they were skiing off piste and he was in charge, so perhaps it's a criminal negligence thing if he lead them in that direction.

(That's just speculation on my part though)

Even though there was a danger of avalanche, indeed they had tried to manually start an avalanche earlier in the morning, the off piste skiing had not been banned.

His guide should have insisted Friso wear an airbag, that was his duty, even though hindsight is 20/20 I really think he should have. If Friso had said no, he should have declined to lead the party.

The Austrians are strict as far as I know, saw recently on dutch tv a bit about an Austrian husband who went skiing with his wife off piste and because he followed her a bit too soon downhill he started an avalanche I think. Anyway he was sentinced by the Austrian courts.

Europe has less rules and regulations for snowsports than the US and it is time that is adressed.

Curious as to why Florian Moosbrugger is under a criminal investigation regarding this accident. An avalance is an act of nature, not the act of a human being unless I'm missing something here.

That's just an formality. If there is a victim, ther eis an investigation. As the victim is royal, a very thorough investigation was done. Each result of an investigation has to be given to the Public Attorney's office because it's not the police which decides if there was in fact a transgression against the law or not. Police workls for the PA office, so each arrest eg is cleared directly with the PA and there are laws how long somebody can be hold on PA authority till a judge has to be called in. Only if the PA decides to make the results of the investigation against a person into a case for court, proceedings actually start.

so at the moment there is no indication that Florian Moosbrugger has done anything wrong. Just standard procedure - and with so few articles, I guess nothing will come out of it.

As for Willem-Alexander in Lech and not staying at "Post" - AFAIK he and Maxima prefer the neighboring hotel when they are holidaying - as they did last February.

it can not make a difference in the eyes of the law, the austrian legal system would become a laughing stock if they were less thorough with commoners.

That's just an formality. If there is a victim, ther eis an investigation.
HTML:
As the victim is royal, a very thorough investigation was done.
Each result of an investigation has to be given to the Public Attorney's office because it's not the police which decides if there was in fact a transgression against the law or not. Police workls for the PA office, so each arrest eg is cleared directly with the PA and there are laws how long somebody can be hold on PA authority till a judge has to be called in. Only if the PA decides to make the results of the investigation against a person into a case for court, proceedings actually start.

so at the moment there is no indication that Florian Moosbrugger has done anything wrong. Just standard procedure - and with so few articles, I guess nothing will come out of it.

As for Willem-Alexander in Lech and not staying at "Post" - AFAIK he and Maxima prefer the neighboring hotel when they are holidaying - as they did last February.

it can not make a difference in the eyes of the law, the austrian legal system would become a laughing stock if they were less thorough with commoners.

Thorough investigations cost a lot of money. So normally considering the circumstances: the piste was open though there were avalanche warnings, the prince did not wear an airbag etc., without an international diplomatic interest in the report the case would be closed by now. I have no doubt that the findings are that the prince himself took a risk and had an accident because of it and no other people are to blame. With "normal " people it would have been pretty clear that that's that and end of story but of course with the prince any avenue, even the most implausible one, were investigated. No matter the cost.

And Austria is notorious for treating people according to their "rank".

'Prince Friso moved when kissed by Princess Mabel'

Prince Friso has moved slightly when his wife Princess Mabel kissed him recently.
That has been told by Princess Mabel, said Nobel Peace laureate Desmond Tutu Friday on Dutch television.

Tutu and Princess Mabel speak to each other regularly, he said in the tv-program College Tour.
Mabel was topwoman at The Elders, a peace organization, before the misfortune in which the Prince ended up in a coma.
Desmond Tutu is the President of the organization. After the ski-accident of Prince Friso, the Princess stopped with her ​​work for The Elders.
Tutu said he has regular contact with Mabel, "to let her know that we love her." The Princess said Desmond Tutu "is of great assistance in this difficult time."
In the news program Nieuwsuur, Desmond Tutu also said that Princess Mabel told him that Friso looked and smiled at her when she entered his hospitalroom.

I don't think his opennes is appreciated by the Royal Family. I don't know what to make of this after Willem-Alexanders' statement in July that nothing has changed in his brothers' situation...

Unfortunately, this could prove to be nothing, as there are involuntary movement in comatose people and you could be there at that moment. They used to claim that Terri Schiavo followed her family with her eyes, autopsy proved she was blind. He is still on a respirator, which was said by the Dutch MP, who seemed to think the family should be doing otherwise. I, certainly, cannot say what is right.

It means that his family still has hope. There is no way of knowing if it is misplaced or not.
But if I was in Mabel's shoes, I would cling also.

that is at least some hope for mabel.

i think tutu is just communicating candidly about the state of his friend. surely no one will blame him as he meant well. it's a joyful piece of news, i don't believe there is harm in communicating it.

regarding the investigation, i hope no one blames friso's friend who was skiing with him. friso is an adult and, as a frequent, long-time skier, should have known the risks of an avalanche, without the need for his friend to remind him to use the airbag or the localising device. it would have done no harm, but it is definitely not his fault.

everyone is responsible for his or hers own actions. (but again, some posters on another thread seem to disagree with this, seeing their reaction when discussing how another royal's should have taken ownhership of his or her actions, so... :) )

Unfortunately, this could prove to be nothing, as there are involuntary movement in comatose people and you could be there at that moment.

This is very true. The story of Tutu should be taken with a bit of salt. The prince is still in vegative state and chances are very, very slim he will come out of that. Don't let Tutu get your hopes up.

Allthough I understand Tutu in a way. He is a very supportive and positive man, and he will do what he can to provide Mabel with guidance, support and the power to stay positive.

This is so tragic that I really don't know what to say. If it were me that was in Prince Friso's position, I would have to say, "Please set me free, I do not want to "live" like this anymore".

Just my opinion, I send prayers to his entire family. :sad:

You have a valid point of view, Duchessmary. As, I, believe, is correct, he is still on a respirator. He cannot breathe on his own. His chances of recovery are very low. Almost nil. This is a physician's opinion, not a guess. Keeping someone in this state prolongs dying, but the patient is not living. Many of what seem like smiles and movement are just involuntary reflexes.

Tutu's story is too good to be true. If anything did happen, it would've been like a Terry Schiavo incident. I'd like to imagine he'll wake up soon and everything will be fine, but no. That doesn't happen in cases like this.

No, just hysterical, nonsense. Even the, good, Bishop expounded on things that often are nothing, actually, most often are nothing, but reflex reactions. If Mabel believes this, who can blame her. Terry Schaivo's family insisted she followed them with her eyes, she was blind (autopsy) and smiled. And, if it was true, why hasn't the DRF reported these wonders. The worst part is that many push anecdotal incidents to facts.

The story of Tutu should be taken
with a bit of salt. ... Don't let Tutu get your hopes up.

I hate to have to say this even though I wish for a marvel for
Friso:
Tutu's story looks like an attempt to get the euthanasia freaks
off Princess Mabels' back! I understand that there's an ongoing
discussion in Dutch media about the prospects of keeping the
Prince on life support! It must be awful for the Dutch RF (and by
the way: That's the main reason why I'm decidedly against
euthanasia: it's bound to pile pressure on the relatives! )
Though money should never come into the equation we all know
that unfortunately they do but, that's hardly the issue in this case.
I'd be surprised if the Dutch RF didn't pay the costs connected
with the care of Friso, because they're able to!

I'm also convinced that the press office of the Dutch RF will
communicate even the slightest improvement in Friso's general
condition, should it ever happen.

Viv

Last edited:
Miracles indeed happen (the case of a man who woke up after the 18 years of coma!); and Desmond Tutu, as a Christian priest, believes in them and shouldn't encourage anyone to euthanasia, is it so strange?

It's not strange that a bishop is against euthanasia, that's why I pointed it out since noone else had! :flowers:.
As for belief in "miracles": that's a different thing, maybe it's a matter of words? It would be 1. a 'miracle' (defying logic, natural laws and experience) if e.g. a person would wake up after being declared dead, whereas 2. it would be a 'marvel' (something that makes you wonder) if a seriously ill patient recovers against all prognosis! Example one is usually left to powers greater than you and I, whereas example two actually does happen from time to other. The priests I know will stick to the 'marvel' understanding as well!
Hopefully the idea of a marvel would include Prince Friso. I'm convinced that his doctors know an awful lot about his condition and maybe they're absolutely right about his prospects. However dealing with a human being with complex physiological and neurological processes, many of which are not thoroughly researched, IMO they cannot be 100 percent certain about the exact state of his condition and chances of recuperating. Maybe a spark is dormant somewhere!
Any talk of turning off the life support is much too premature in Frisos' case!

viv

Last edited:
No, just hysterical, nonsense. Even the, good, Bishop expounded on things that often are nothing, actually, most often are nothing, but reflex reactions. If Mabel believes this, who can blame her. Terry Schaivo's family insisted she followed them with her eyes, she was blind (autopsy) and smiled. And, if it was true, why hasn't the DRF reported these wonders. The worst part is that many push anecdotal incidents to facts.
...hysterical nonsense... There are lots of things happening with people in coma and other severe conditions that the medical field have no explanations for. Your comment shows much more ignorance that the Bishop's.

I hate to have to say this even though I wish for a marvel for
Friso:
Tutu's story looks like an attempt to get the euthanasia freaks
off Princess Mabels' back! I understand that there's an ongoing
discussion in Dutch media about the prospects of keeping the
Prince on life support! It must be awful for the Dutch RF (and by
the way: That's the main reason why I'm decidedly against
euthanasia: it's bound to pile pressure on the relatives! )
Though money should never come into the equation we all know
that unfortunately they do but, that's hardly the issue in this case.
I'd be surprised if the Dutch RF didn't pay the costs connected
with the care of Friso, because they're able to!

I'm also convinced that the press office of the Dutch RF will
communicate even the slightest improvement in Friso's general
condition, should it ever happen.
Viv

Euthanasia freaks??? What do you mean by that???

There is no ongoing discussion in the Dutch media about Friso and the way to handle his situation.
He got mentioned this week because it is his birthday and because of the speech of Tutu. No further attention to it was given.

Euthanasia freaks??? What do you mean by that???

I'm aiming at people who are quick to judge when it's 'pointless' to keep a person alive and that they should be entitled to be relieved of their ordeal.
It's been seven months since the accident of Prince Friso! He and his family should be given more time to see whether a healing proces is under way!

There is no ongoing discussion in the Dutch media about Friso and the way to handle his situation.

OK thanks! However I still take it as an obvious reason for Bishop Tutus comment! Or else why wouldn't the DRF comment on any improvement of Friso, one way or the other?

viv

Last edited:
Euthanasia is not removing a respirator. A respirator, and that is, if the prince is on one, is extraordinary, meaning the person is not living a machine is breathing for him. Which means he really has no viable life. Euthansia is removing food and medication or giving medication to end a suffering life. The injuries in the persons who came out of comas were quite different that what has happened to the prince.

OK thanks! However I still take it as an obvious reason for Bishop Tutus comment! Or else why wouldn't the DRF comment on any improvement of Friso, one way or the other?

viv

imo: the DRF is very private about their personnel affairs and not fond of 'the media'; i think they will only announce news about prince Friso when something significantly changes and not the small details which (imo) they consider private..

I'm aiming at people who are quick to judge when it's 'pointless' to keep a person alive and that they should be entitled to be relieved of their ordeal.
It's been seven months since the accident of Prince Friso! He and his family should be given more time to see whether a healing proces is under way!

viv
Viv, There is no healing process from brain damage. irreversable brain damage starts at 5 minutes of anoxia. Friso's inability to trigger the vent as well as being deprived of oxygen for such a prolonged period are consistant with brain death

Last edited:
Viv, There is no healing process from brain damage. irreversable brain damage starts at 5 minutes of anoxia. Friso's inability to trigger the vent as well as being deprived of oxygen for such a prolonged period are consistant with brain death

I appreciate your comment! I'm very much a lay person in this field and I had forgotten how serious his brain damage is. So you are basically saying that the family is hoping against hope?

viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom