Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Were he in The Netherlands I think it would be a whole different story. No doctor is going to ignore the Queen and Mabel would be of secondary importance. In the UK I believe his wife would be his Next-of-kin but I understand the family are very close and if so, would never do anything to hurt Mabel as she is Friso's wife and he is a husband and father, not a small child (even if he will always be the Queen's child).

I don't believe Mabel would ever force anything against HMs wishes.

Mabel and Queen Beatrix have always been fond of eachother and it's likely that they are of great support to eachother through this tragedy and will probably discuss decisions that need to be made... however, I'm not completely sure what Friso's situation is, but for christian people like the dutch royal family, there may not be any choice to be made here, as turning off artificial feeding might be perceived as a form of euthanasia...

After 6 months people can not be in a coma, but they are in persistent vegetative state.
That could mean the Prince can open his eyes and react to stimuli.
I don't think the Prince is on a respirator, because he would be braindead in this situation. In that case, I am in no doubt that the Royal Family would have turned off the life support after consultation with the doctors.
That is what most families do in simular situations.
Whether their decision would have been made public is another thing. Most probably there would only be an announcement that the Prince had died and the public could only guess to how and what. That is the privacy the Royal Family is entitled to and they would not have to explain anything.
Several members on this forum are talking about turning off life support because mainly Luciën has said in this forum that the Prince is on life support, but this claim is based on nothing.
In a persistent vegetative state there is no question of turning off anything because the Prince can breath on his own and perhaps he can also swallow food.
In this case the family can only decide to have the Prince not treated when he is suffering from pneumonia for example.
That is why it is so awful for the Royal Family; they can't do anything, just sit and wait...

Some how I trust Lucien, but you are right I have no idea if he is still on a respirator. If not, they are between a rock and a hard place. No one here has any real information.

Some how I trust Lucien, but you are right I have no idea if he is still on a respirator. If not, they are between a rock and a hard place. No one here has any real information.

But we can perhaps assume that if the Prince had been getting better we would have been informed. That would have been such a relief to so many people so it most likely would have been shared.

Mabel and Queen Beatrix have always been fond of eachother and it's likely that they are of great support to eachother through this tragedy and will probably discuss decisions that need to be made... however, I'm not completely sure what Friso's situation is, but for christian people like the dutch royal family, there may not be any choice to be made here, as turning off artificial feeding might be perceived as a form of euthanasia...

Not necessarily. Religious beliefs might play a part, but my guess is that if the doctors see no change in his condition and are doubtful anything would change, the family would do what is most humane. They don't want to see him suffer and would want him to be at peace. Prolonging the situation just makes it that much worse for his wife, children, and parents.

In Holand it would be a team of doctors and hospital protocol would be followed.

I imagine that if the situation in London is hopeless the schedule of his children will be very important, nothing near birthdays, christmas, easter etc.

:previous: Were he in The Netherlands I think it would be a whole different story.
HTML:
No doctor is going to ignore the Queen
and Mabel would be of secondary importance. In the UK I believe his wife would be his Next-of-kin but I understand the family are very close and if so, would never do anything to hurt Mabel as she is Friso's wife and he is a husband and father, not a small child (even if he will always be the Queen's child).

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Religious beliefs might play a part, but my guess is that if the doctors see no change in his condition and are doubtful anything would change, the family would do what is most humane. They don't want to see him suffer and would want him to be at peace. Prolonging the situation just makes it that much worse for his wife, children, and parents.

We can't possibly know what the family is feeling, even if we've been in a similar situation.

You are right, Kitty, no one can walk in another's shoes. No matter what anyone's thoughts are, it is their pain and their decision, and whatever they decide it is correct for them.

If this facility is like most, the doctors are in contact with the family regarding the Prince's condition.
The Prince is not the first patient in his condition to be treated by this facility, so they probably have specific protocol in place for such exact situations.

It there is no improvement, the Prince may be transferred to another facility, in the US it could be a nursing home. The Palace may not make any announcement if this happens, especially since he is not in line for succession. It would depend on the family's wishes.

Protocol is one thing and then there is VIP Wishes. I am sure there is a medical protocol, but at his station it may not apply. Someone in the family will call the shots. If he is transferred, someone will get wind of it and report on it. It is the way of things, today.

I think the family have actually been pretty open so far so if Friso were to be moved to another facility I am sure they would announce it.

The Public Prosecutor in Austria, who have researched the skiing accident of Prince Friso have completed it's investigation. A spokesperson of the PP in Feldkirch has confirmed the news in the Austrian media.

The research focuses on the role played by Florian Moosbrugger, an Austrian hotel owner with who Friso was skiing. Friso and Moosbrugger were friends.

Possibly, Moosbrugger will be prosecuted for causing bodily harm and dangerous behavior. The PP would not comment on the conclusions of the study.

The research report has been given to the Public Prosecutor in Innsbruck. The PP now needs to make a decision about whether a lawsuit will be started. It may also be that this assessment will be left to the Minister of Justice.

Prince Friso was struck by an avalanche while skiing in the Austrian ski resort of Lech on February 17th. He's in a coma in the Wellington Hospital in London. There is doubt whether he will ever regain consciousness.

I think the family have actually been pretty open so far so if Friso were to be moved to another facility I am sure they would announce it.

This 'story' appeared in Holland last weekend:

German magazine Bunte comes with the story that the Royal Family is considering transferring Prince Friso to the Netherlands, so the prince can die.
The magazine Bunte fuels rumors that there are plans to transfer Prince Friso to the Netherlands. When the Prince will arrive in the Netherlands, the treatment may be stopped after which the Prince will probably die. The Government Information Service will not substantively respond to the story in Bunte.
It is said that it is not possible to terminate treatment in the Wellington Hospital in London, where Prince Friso is currently nursed. In Holland, doctors have other directives and termination of treatment is an option. Indeed, in Holland, the treatment would probably already been discontinued. After six months in a coma, the chances of full recovery are extremely small.
The health of Prince Friso is headline news in Germany.

Possibly, Moosbrugger will be prosecuted for causing bodily harm and dangerous behavior. The PP would not comment on the conclusions of the study.

The research report has been given to the Public Prosecutor in Innsbruck. The PP now needs to make a decision about whether a lawsuit will be started. It may also be that this assessment will be left to the Minister of Justice.

I wonder if he has been kept alive so that homicide is not a possible charge against his colleague. My heart goes out to all involved.

Prince Willem-Alexander was in Lech last weekend:

Meanwhile, Mayor Ludwig Muxel on Monday confirmed to APA rumors that the Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander was staying the weekend in Vorarlberg. "He was on a short visit in Lech," said Muxel. The Prince had stayed there for two days and had gone hiking, among other things. His family had not accompanied him. "It was a private visit", Muxel would give no further information. Willem-Alexander did not stay in hotel Post.

This 'story' appeared in Holland last weekend:

German magazine Bunte comes with the story that the Royal Family is considering transferring Prince Friso to the Netherlands, so the prince can die.
The magazine Bunte fuels rumors that there are plans to transfer Prince Friso to the Netherlands. When the Prince will arrive in the Netherlands, the treatment may be stopped after which the Prince will probably die. The Government Information Service will not substantively respond to the story in Bunte.
It is said that it is not possible to terminate treatment in the Wellington Hospital in London, where Prince Friso is currently nursed. In Holland, doctors have other directives and termination of treatment is an option. Indeed, in Holland, the treatment would probably already been discontinued. After six months in a coma, the chances of full recovery are extremely small.
The health of Prince Friso is headline news in Germany.

Interesting. One wonders wether there is a shred of truth behind this or it is all fabricated. Of course, rumors are just that rumors.

Interesting. One wonders wether there is a shred of truth behind this or it is all fabricated. Of course, rumors are just that rumors.
It would make sense to have prince Friso moved to the Netherlands if the family have reached the conclusion that there is no hope for a change in his condition. It would be easier for the members of the family to be with him in the end, and the criteria for when doctors can end the treatment of a patient are different in the Netherlands compared to the U.K. there would be less ethical and legal problems when considering that option if prince Friso was in the Netherlands.

I can't wait for infos about that... the problem is that Mabel and the girls have made their life in London...

Yes, but they are Dutch and Dutch subjects and he is the queen's son. As far as I am concerned, it is still Mabel's call. He is her husband. She is the next of kin, no matter whom her mother-in-law is. They all seem to care for each other and, so, whatever happens I expect that it was agreed upon.

In the medical profession there is a saying when doing CPR, "you are not dead until you are warm and dead".

It means that if you need resuscitation (as Prince Friso did) and you are cold, they may not stop with CPR (cardio - pulmonary resuscitation) until you have become warm. The reason is that the heart may not want / cant start as it is too cold. Hence the patient needs to be warmed up sufficiently and then only can CPR stop. You may not stop CPR before that time, once you start, you dont stop until warmed to normal body temperature...

This is also for cases of near-drowning or falling into frozen lakes in the winter. Many people have been succesfully resuscitated to live full lives in this scenario. but the CPR really MUST be done very well to perfuse the brain with sufficient oxygen.

In Prince Friso case he was without oxygen for a prolonged period, before CPR was commenced. This was probably where the brain damage has occurred. Well we all know it was....

An awful situation for all, especially Mabel and QB.

My sense (and god knows, only MHO) I think that the family decided to give Friso 6-months in London to see if a miracle would occur and that he would regain consciousness. There was also the other factor of providing Mabel and her two daughters with some degree of normalcy or learning what their "new normal without Dad" would be like. If and when a decision is made to move him to The Netherlands will be a family decision agreed upon and blessed by Mabel who, as his wife, has the decision making power in this situation. After seeing Queen Beatrix interact with Mabel over the past few months, I have no doubt that there is a great amount of respect between both women.

It's a very sad situation. I can only hope that Mabel and the girls can rebuild their lives in peace and happiness.

You are very right. It is so sad. It is time to bring him home to peace for him and for the family. It is time to heal and go forward, which no one can do under the circumstances.

Curious as to why Florian Moosbrugger is under a criminal investigation regarding this accident. An avalance is an act of nature, not the act of a human being unless I'm missing something here.

Curious as to why Florian Moosbrugger is under a criminal investigation regarding this accident. An avalance is an act of nature, not the act of a human being unless I'm missing something here.

Well, they were skiing off piste and he was in charge, so perhaps it's a criminal negligence thing if he lead them in that direction.

(That's just speculation on my part though)

He may have been in charge, but they were adults, you can say no!!!

Perhaps the man was hired to look after the Prince in some capacity. We don't know the details. We just know they were over the boundaries.

Perhaps the man was hired to look after the Prince in some capacity. We don't know the details. We just know they were over the boundaries.
Florian Moosbrugger is a childhood friend of prince Friso and owner of a hotel in Lech, he's also a mountain rescuer and as such should know about the dangers of starting an avalanche. He was also wearing an airbag while the prince wasn't, the outcome of the accident could have been different if the prince had been wearing an airbag. Prince Pal Survived Because of Avalanche Airbag - General News - Austrian Times Online News - English Newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom