Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think W-A canceling at the last minute is a sign for concernn with his brother's condition. Unfortunate that CP Maxima had to endure negative outbursts by herself, as I'm sure having W-A by her side would have have that easier, I suppose

I read elsewhere that the outburst in Paris was directed at an unpopular politican who happened to enter the concert hall at the same time as Maxima - an unfortunate coincidence indeed!

How is prince frisco coming along? Has his condition improved at least a little?

I'm thinking that no news means no change in his current condition. I certainly don't see anything good regarding improvement being reported.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the kind of hypoxic brain injury Friso has is not recoverable. Once the the brain has been denied oxygen for a prolonged period of time, it is basically dead. As he remains in a coma long term, unfortunately other things associated will begin to occur (bloodclots, decubitis, etc). I dont anticipate there being any good news forthcoming. How sad for the whole family.

German Bild-Zeitung is "reporting" that Mabel is visiting Friso every day and that she recently went back to work like before the accident.

The footballer Fabrice Muamba suffered a cardiac arrest on the pitch, stopped breathing and his heart stopped beating for 78 minutes. He has, however, made a good recovery so far and is sitting up and able to speak.

Maybe the 2 situations are completely different, but does anyone with medical knowledge know why Muamba has apparently come through but Friso has not?

The footballer Fabrice Muamba suffered a cardiac arrest on the pitch, stopped breathing and his heart stopped beating for 78 minutes. He has, however, made a good recovery so far and is sitting up and able to speak.

Maybe the 2 situations are completely different, but does anyone with medical knowledge know why Muamba has apparently come through but Friso has not?

I would assume that it has something to do with the fact that Muamba got almost immediate attention, whereas Friso did not receive attention for several minutes because he was buried under the snow. But I am no doctor, so perhaps someone else could comment if they know better than I do.

luisianna said:
I would assume that it has something to do with the fact that Muamba got almost immediate attention, whereas Friso did not receive attention for several minutes because he was buried under the snow. But I am no doctor, so perhaps someone else could comment if they know better than I do.

Yea, they started resuscitation efforts almost immediately so his brain wasn't deprived of oxygen like Friso's.

But, if his heart's not beating for 78 minutes, surely there's no oxygen reaching his brain as the blood isn't pumping. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, my medical knowledge is non-existant.

EIIR said:
But, if his heart's not beating for 78 minutes, surely there's no oxygen reaching his brain as the blood isn't pumping. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, my medical knowledge is non-existant.

CPR keeps the blood artificially circulating. As soon as CPR was started, his brain was receiving oxygen.

I personally think the questions regarding Mumba are legitimate.

I am not a doctor, but from what I can gather...the difference in the condition of Mumba and Prince Friso is that took some time to resuscitate Prince Friso. I thought Mumba was out for 78 seconds not minutes and Friso was out for about 30 minutes to an hour.

Thank you, Zonk. Perhaps I'm not so stupid as certain posters think.

No, Muamba was out for 78 minutes, his heart didn't begin beating again until after he arrived at hospital. I had read in numerous articles that doctors were worried about brain damage because he had been deprived of oxygen for some time. That's where I thought the comparison with Friso came in.

Friso was buried for 25 minutes without oxygen and then when he was taken out of the area, it took another 50 minutes to rescusitate him. Those 25 minutes were very critical. The other fellow received immediate care and CPR.

I do remember reading that there was concern that Muamba had experienced brain damage as well. I thought he wasn't out as long as Friso.

I am sure there is probably more information regarding Friso's condition that we are not privy to that is making the difference. Maybe it was the difference in body temp? With these type of accidents or even brain damage I am sure there are no two cases that are exactly alike.

Either way, its a shame that Friso's outlook isn't the same as Muamba's.

Friso was buried for 25 critcal minutes, before they rescued him and then underwent 50 minutes of resuscitation. That makes a big difference.

Yes perhaps that was it.

I personally think the questions regarding Mumba are legitimate.

I am not a doctor, but from what I can gather...the difference in the condition of Mumba and Prince Friso is that took some time to resuscitate Prince Friso. I thought Mumba was out for 78 seconds not minutes and Friso was out for about 30 minutes to an hour.

Totally agree, the two are related if for no other reason than both are well know people who suffered very public accidents involving a stopped heart. Mumba is said to be doing very well, if only we could say the same for Friso. I think the difference was that Mumba received immediate care and his heart was kept going artificially from within minutes where as Friso was under the snow without nay help and a stopped heart for much much longer. Hopefully Friso will make at least some small steps towards recovery soon.

I think we all need to remember that the forums are an open FORUM for people to share their thoughts and ideas and shouting people down because they don't agree with some one else in unhelpful, unkind and unnecessary.

Friso's recovery is probably not possible. But we have no idea what the family is thinking or going through. And Lucien is a very nice fellow, he is just sensative to this.

Muamba was also incredibly lucky in that a cardiologist Spurs fan was in the crowd and was allowed onto the pitch to tend to him. The cardiologist actually works in the hospital where Muamba is now being treated. I suppose on an off piste ski slope the chances of this kind of luck are much reduced.

Muamba's recovery is still being described as a miracle though. It's so sad that it appears Friso has so little hope of the same good fortune.

Apples and oranges. No comparison, except it was a major cardiac arrest. The prince suffered extreme hypoxia.

:previous:Did we discuss this before....what is extreme hypoxia?

Definitely there is a difference between the conditions of Friso and Muamba, but at the core it appeared that for both of them...the heart stopped beating for a period of time. Of course the major differences are the circumstances of the incident's, the temperature and everything else that happened as a result (ie. Friso was buried, Muamba collapsed, how quick they received medical attention, etc.)

But from what I can understand, if you take the everything else out of it....at some point both of their hearts stopped beating....I think its a fair question to ask why one has a chance of recovery and one does not. But as previously pointed out all the "other stuff (for lack of a better phrase) makes a huge difference.

Yes, you can be sensitive to the subject but that doesn't mean that you can act any way you want. That's not cool.

:previous:
Hypoxia is deprivation of oxygen to the body. It actually causes the cells to die. In Friso's case- he went with no medical attention for about half an hour, which means his brain cells were deprived of oxygen for that period. Those cells died off and that damage is irreversible.

In the other case- medical attention was administered right away. He could not breathe on his own and his heart couldn't beat, but CPR was administered and so was artificial respiration so the cells were still getting oxygen, which kept them from dying and causing permanent damage.

This is why everyone should learn CPR and other basic first aid. When done properly, it does change outcomes and save lives.

It's unfortunate that the circumstances around Friso's accident didn't allow for a better outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you HRHHermonie! So definitely the key minutes when they were digging Friso out made a difference.

Oh, absoluetly. In those 25 minutes, which for the brain is huge, the denial of oxygen causes severe, irreversible damage.

Thank you for your clear explanation, HRHHermione. I didn't mean to annoy anyone with my question.

Thank you for your clear explanation, HRHHermione. I didn't mean to annoy anyone with my question.
I've been wondering about similarities between Prince Friso and Muamba's cases as well.
For some time, given Muamba's recovery, I thought there might still be hope for the Prince; unfortunately, HRHHermione and Countess's highly informative posts dashed those hopes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom