Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We heard so many experts and their information the last weeks! But in the end only the doctors and the family of the prince will know what is really going on. So we will just have to wait and see how things are proceeding. Indeed, it is a terribly cruel fate, both for the prince as for his wife, daughters, mother and the rest of the family.

Yes, may they all find peace in this terrible time.

I posted those pictures, and I dont think its respectless to do so. As before, the family chose to be out in public, I am sure there would be ways to get into the building without being seen. There are no children in these pictures. The pictures were taking openly and not in long-lense paparazzi style.

I reckon that Friso's case is exceptionally tragic because of his age & circumstances and that the Dutch members are really emotional about it, but there are other topics on this board covering tragic events where pictures are posted and distressed or mourning relatives are shown.

I remeber we already had the same discussion when Letizia's sister committed suicide and with heartbreaking pictures coming up before the funeral. But again, this was IN PUBLIC, like the Dutch Royals show themselves IN PUBLIC, its a choice, it could have been/be IN PRIVATE, if wanted. I guess the royals are professional enough to recognize that there is public interest in everything they do, good or bad, and in these cases many people are not only sensationalists but also show compassion on the basis of these pictures.

No-one needs to tell our Royals what professionalism is.And no-one need to tell them what vultures are.The family kindly requested for some peace and rest from the press after they have been very generous to the press while in Austria visiting Friso in hospital and in Lech despite the immens grief.The Dutch press already came up with that themselves.We here,the Dutch,are not the least bit interested in how people look while grieving.At all.One doesn't,out of respect,continue to picture people full face then still.It says nothing on the Royals,it adds no news,it adds to sales of rags only as Royal grief is apparently much sought after in some circles.Not here,not mine.

It is gutter journalism that seems to thrive on that,and it is the lazy attitudes and the horrendously infantile "we have to see it al!!!" wacko attitude in this time and age that apparently makes some think they really contribute to what in the core is a very sad thread.The daylife pics I refer too,yes.I don't care what some think,I prefer all have the intelligence and good manners not to post griefstricken dutch Royals.Sad as they all may be they've continued living their lives and duties and need rest to find their way in this new and sad situation.And who wouldn't.

I fully agree with Marengo's last post above.

Last edited:
I posted those pictures, and I don't think its respectless to do so. As before, the family chose to be out in public, I am sure there would be ways to get into the building without being seen. There are no children in these pictures. The pictures were taking openly and not in long-lense paparazzi style.

I reckon that Friso's case is exceptionally tragic because of his age & circumstances and that the Dutch members are really emotional about it, but there are other topics on this board covering tragic events where pictures are posted and distressed or mourning relatives are shown.

I remember we already had the same discussion when Letizia's sister committed suicide and with heartbreaking pictures coming up before the funeral. But again, this was IN PUBLIC, like the Dutch Royals show themselves IN PUBLIC, its a choice, it could have been/be IN PRIVATE, if wanted. I guess the royals are professional enough to recognise that there is public interest in everything they do, good or bad, and in these cases many people are not only sensationalists but also show compassion on the basis of these pictures.
I am completely stunned by your callous disregard to the pain and dignity of members of the NRF and any other royal family for that matter.

You seem to believe that if they step out of the door, for whatever reason, they are fair game for the media because they chose to to leave the privacy of their own homes.

Logically if one needs to visit a hospital they have to leave home so, since they chose to do so, it's piccies for everyone right in the face! Same goes for funerals, they have to go to the service and then the cemetery but, since they chose to leave their homes and go into public, its a free for all!

Funny, I didn't think we had developed the technology for site to site transports yet and hospitals, churches, cemeteries, etc. cannot come to them. That being the case, venturing into public in times of great personal stress/grief is totally and utterly unavoidable. Common decency dictates that they be given personal space.

I always wondered why the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret all wore heavy black veils when travelling with the King's body prior to the funeral. Now I know.

Hollywood does big hats and enormous sunglasses, the modern day veil against the probing of the media in times of pain and grief, perhaps we will see a return to such drastic measures as mourning veils to retain a modicum of dignity and space.

We can't have it only one way. I feel like I'm violently intruding HM Beatrix privacy by even accidently looking at the recent photos. Such pain and grieving should not be exposed to the whole world. But - don't we all love the picture of Victoria and Daniel with little Estelle in the stroller? Same interference, different emotions.

Everyone draws the line differently. Personally I can never get over the published Charles/Camilla telephone conversation, what a horror in breach of privacy, other people found it amusing.

Of course, not only royals are subjects of this. Alot of people never needed to know intimte details about Bill Clinton/Monica Levinsky, other people found it appropriate to discuss a stained dress and the use of a cigar.

The list goes on and on. For every royal wedding is a Ernst-August doing the EXPO, for every happy moment in pictures and text, there seems to be a tradegy.

We talk about this people using their first names only, as if they are well-known or even related to us. In a way, they are, this is how being royal works this days. I care about HM Beatrix, Mabel and the whole family. If possible, I would call and offer some help, like I would do if they were my neigbours. I cannot stand them being exposed, but it is the collective attention that is the main reason for the institution nowadays.

I always wondered why the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret all wore heavy black veils when travelling with the King's body prior to the funeral. Now I know.

At the time this was what mourning women wore. Here, until the mid-sixties, in French-Canadian Catholic churches, women also wore hat to go to mass. Nowadays, outfits are more relax when people go to church but it`s not always a good thing.

Yes we see the sadness of the NRF when they visit Friso but we also see their dignity. We too often tend to act as if pain of having a loved one in a critical condition or pain to lose a loved one did not exist. Human beings need time to heal their pain - emotional pain - when losing someone. But that is often skipped by our productive way of thinking.

When in London, I often drive past the Wellington. In the last few days, my thoughts have been with the Dutch royal family in this difficult time.

I'd so much love to get information about his state. Out of genuine concern...

Yes we see the sadness of the NRF when they visit Friso but we also see their dignity. We too often tend to act as if pain of having a loved one in a critical condition or pain to lose a loved one did not exist. Human beings need time to heal their pain - emotional pain - when losing someone. But that is often skipped by our productive way of thinking.
That is why this case is different from a death. When a royal dies we see their family only at the official funeral. They put their game faces on and walk the walk and then it is over until they decide they can handle the exposure.

Now in Friso's case this doesn't happen because for good or ill he is still alive and so the cameras are trained mercilessly on any member of the family who should visit in the hope they can extrapolate some opinion from the way they look. Did they smile? He might be improving. Are they in pain? Perhaps he has taken a turn for the worse.

I defy anyone to say that this unrelenting media circus was and is either right or fair.

No-one needs to tell our Royals what professionalism is.And no-one need to tell them what vultures are.The family kindly requested for some peace and rest from the press after they have been very generous to the press while in Austria visiting Friso in hospital and in Lech despite the immens grief.The Dutch press already came up with that themselves.We here,the Dutch,are not the least bit interested in how people look while grieving.At all.One doesn't,out of respect,continue to picture people full face then still.It says nothing on the Royals,it adds no news,it adds to sales of rags only as Royal grief is apparently much sought after in some circles.Not here,not mine.

It is gutter journalism that seems to thrive on that,and it is the lazy attitudes and the horrendously infantile "we have to see it al!!!" wacko attitude in this time and age that apparently makes some think they really contribute to what in the core is a very sad thread.The daylife pics I refer too,yes.I don't care what some think,I prefer all have the intelligence and good manners not to post griefstricken dutch Royals.Sad as they all may be they've continued living their lives and duties and need rest to find their way in this new and sad situation.And who wouldn't.

I fully agree with Marengo's last post above.

:previous: Just because someone goes out in public doesn't mean that anyone should be able to do what they want to them. Everyone has a right to privacy, and just because they are out in public does not give others the right to violate a person's right to privacy. We need to think how we would feel if someone did the same to us. Just because a person is famous doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to have private family time even if they are out in public. Should celebrities never be able to take their children to an amusement park or somewhere else every child wants to go just because it is a public place and some people think that this gives them the right to do whatever they want?

Those times have past, for good or evil. Today's "stars" flaunt all kinds of things in public, they then cannot ask for privicy. The RDF family is going through some very difficult times. Unfortunately, they are public personages, so people want to know. Should they know is another discussion. Actually, which press is taking these pictures and who is looking at them. Here in the States, most people have no idea who Prince Friso is, nor do they care. Not because they are uncaring, but they do not know who he is. They barely know who Queen Beatrix is. Some don't at all. So where are these photos being sold the most? That is the real question.

In a sense they are in mourning. Life has drastically changed for the family as Friso likely will never be the man he was before. Beatrix will likely never have another conversation with her son the way she used to. Mabel will likely never receive the affection Friso used to giver her. The girls will likely never crawl into their fathers' lap or feel his arms wrapped around them. They all will likely never hear him say "I love you" again. They are mourning a life they likely no longer have.
Reading the newspaper tonight, I came across this story of a Canadian soldier who had been hit in the head by an axe in Afghanistan and returned home to his wife, who was told he was brain dead and would never wake up again. Together two years later, they have written their story in a book called March Forth, showing how sometimes miracles do happen, helped by a lot of hard work!
Trevor Greene

So where are these photos being sold the most? That is the real question.

Non-Dutch (out of respect) european tabloid media that lives on royal stories. There is a whole industry depending on it (weekly magazines "selling" royals like celebrities). The vast majority of people only know / or are interested in royalty because of these stories, its like a celebrity soap opera.

I think that the black armband should come back, seriously. It says, "I've recently been bereaved. Be gentle with me."

Hollywood does big hats and enormous sunglasses, the modern day veil against the probing of the media in times of pain and grief, perhaps we will see a return to such drastic measures as mourning veils to retain a modicum of dignity and space.

Agreed. Royalty is being reported more often in the "entertainment" sections of newspapers, too. They've become perceived by some as info-tainment, like celebrity-watch shows on t.v. It's a shame, because royalty serves a serious role.

The vast majority of people only know / or are interested in royalty because of these stories, its like a celebrity soap opera.

Queen Margrethe has been interviewed by Billed Bladet, while skiing in Norway and this is what she had to say about Prince Friso:

Prince Friso is also a topic and QMII says: "It's dreadful what happened. It's a terrible tragedy. It doesn't look good. It's so tragic for the whole family, I think. You can only hope for,... no, I don't even know what to hope for now".

Q: Do you know him?
QMII: "Not frightfully well, but I do know the whole family and I know exactly how old they are. The oldest is born the year before my boys, and then the three Dutch Princes come, like one two three.....".

"....I don't even know what to hope for now".

It's funny, after all the media coverage, the deluge of commentary and opinions, etc, this simple statement comes the closest to getting at the heart of the issue, IMO.

Agreed. Royalty is being reported more often in the "entertainment" sections of newspapers, too. They've become perceived by some as info-tainment, like celebrity-watch shows on t.v. It's a shame, because royalty serves a serious role.[/QUOTE

To some extent, but mostly they are, todays, entertainment. Their lavish lifestyles and beautiful clothes and exciting trips, are the " meat" to the public. This was an "enviable", family holiday, that turned into a major tragedy and nightmare. And, some would say, they have had chocies that the average person would not have available to them. It does not make this any less a tragedy. I look at Beatrix face and I know the internal scars she is carrying. For Mabel, it is unthinkable. And what Queen Margarethe has stated, she doesn't even know what to hope for, is spot on. A tragic situation. If things were better, it would be reported. It is an awful waiting period, in which, one doesn't know "what to hope for".

Londres, 2 mar (EFE).- El príncipe Friso de Holanda continúa ingresado hoy en el hospital Wellington de Londres, tras ser trasladado desde Austria para recibir "el mejor tratamiento posible" al coma en el que se encuentra, según confirmó a Efe la clínica.
El pasado 17 de febrero, el segundo hijo de la reina Beatriz, esquiaba en los Alpes austríacos cuando un alud lo sepultó bajo la nieve durante veinte minutos, lo que le causó un daño cerebral irreparable por privación de oxígeno y le indujo un coma del que aún no ha despertado.
El príncipe Friso, de 43 años, fue trasladado ayer en un avión medicalizado desde el Hospital Universitario de Innsbruck (Austria) a la clínica privada londinense, según confirmó ayer la Casa Real holandesa en un comunicado, que recoge la revista británica "Hello".
"Su Alteza Real el Príncipe Friso llegó a Londres, donde ha vivido durante muchos años. Los expertos recomendaron el hospital Wellington. Considerando su condición, el Príncipe Friso recibirá el mejor tratamiento posible allí", dice la nota.
El príncipe Friso y su mujer, Mabel, residían habitualmente en la capital británica, junto con sus dos hijas, Luana, de siete años, y Zaria, de seis.
Hasta 2003, el segundo hijo de la reina Beatriz trabajó en Londres como vicepresidente de inversiones del banco estadounidense Goldman Sachs International, tras lo que ejerció como director financiero para la empresa de uranio URENCO, hasta su accidente.
La princesa Mabel pidió ayer a los medios de comunicación que respeten su privacidad en su nueva etapa en Londres y les dejen el espacio necesario para hacerse a la idea de que el príncipe Friso quizás nunca vuelva a despertarse. EFE

IN ENGLISH:

London, March 2 (Reuters). - Prince Friso of the Netherlands continues today entered Wellington Hospital in London, after being transferred from Austria to receive "the best possible treatment" to the point where you are, confirmed to Efe clinic.

On 17 February, the second son of Queen Beatrix, skiing in the Austrian Alps when an avalanche buried him under the snow for twenty minutes, which caused irreparable brain damage from oxygen starvation and induced a coma from which has not yet awakened.

Prince Friso, 43, was taken yesterday in a medicalized aircraft from the University Hospital of Innsbruck (Austria) to the private clinic in London, confirmed yesterday the Dutch royal family in a statement, which includes the British magazine "Hello".

"HRH Prince Friso came to London, where he lived for many years. The experts recommended the Wellington hospital. Considering his condition, Prince Friso receive the best possible treatment there," says the note.

Prince Friso and his wife, Mabel, habitually resident in the British capital, along with his two daughters, Luana, seven, and Zaria, six.

Until 2003, the second son of Queen Beatrix worked in London as vice president of U.S. investment bank Goldman Sachs International, after which he served as CFO for URENCO uranium company, until his accident.

Princess Mabel yesterday asked the media respect their privacy in their new stage in London and leave them space to get the idea that Prince Friso may never wake up again. EFE

Last edited:
I understand we are all here out of genuine concern for Prince Friso, and to support his family. However, I wish those highly intrusive pictures were never taken and/or posted, especially the ones featuring the couple's daughters. It just feels incredibly wrong to look at the daunting and hopeless faces, not to mention such a breach of privacy!
The situation would be unbearable in any case, but it is probably even more difficult because of constant media presence. :sad:

You are right Artemisia but I confess I am guilty too by watching. You see I care very much for them.

:previous:
I understand. And the same goes for me: I am very fond of the Dutch Royal Family and share their pain. And unfortunately, I also looked at some of the pictures, which probably makes me a hypocrite. It's just the whole situation feels so wrong.

Oh!!! My heart is bleading for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The situation is so sad for all involved. No one can feel their pain. You, really, can't feel anotrher persons pain, unless you have lived a similar experience, but I know everyone here cares. They are neither "vultures", nor voyeurs. What happens is you start to feel you know these people and in some way part of their lives, so you want to know what is happening. It is a caring act.

Can we all just forget the stupid photogs, please? The main fact is that a family is in pain because a member of theirs will probably never recover from a skiing accident. His family is trying their best to carry on with their official engagements again. His wife is probably trying to hold it together for their childrens' sake. Those stupid photographers will be around until the next big story takes them away. They then won't even have to think of the NRF again. But HM and her family will have to deal with the aftermath. The should be commended for how they are holding up, not ridiculed because they cover their eyes when probing lens want a picture.

Can we all just forget the stupid photogs, please? The main fact is that a family is in pain because a member of theirs will probably never recover from a skiing accident. His family is trying their best to carry on with their official engagements again. His wife is probably trying to hold it together for their childrens' sake. Those stupid photographers will be around until the next big story takes them away. They then won't even have to think of the NRF again. But HM and her family will have to deal with the aftermath. The should be commended for how they are holding up, not ridiculed because they cover their eyes when probing lens want a picture.

You are right. First of all, as I stated, they must be selling these photos somewhere other than in the U.S., as none have appeared, because there is no interest. So, the European magazines and such, will hang around, until there is another story. On the other hand, as they have returned to their official duties, part of that is being photographed and no one is compalining about that. It is a mixed message.

COUNTESS said:
You are right. First of all, as I stated, they must be selling these photos somewhere other than in the U.S., as none have appeared, because there is no interest. So, the European magazines and such, will hang around, until there is another story. On the other hand, as they have returned to their official duties, part of that is being photographed and no one is compalining about that. It is a mixed message.

My stand on the whole issue is I do not open any of the pictures. They requested privacy so I wish not to gawk. We read and we get updates because we care but to gawk at them at this time had to be hard to feel the eyes watching you.

I wonder who the poor person was who had to call or visit the hotel in Lech to give The Queen and Princess Mabel the bad news about the avalanche. I don't envy them their task on that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom