Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If any photographers are likely to take such photos I would say they'd more likely be Dutch as that would be the market for the photos.

No,we're not interested here either in pics of the family visiting.

In case you haven't noticed but the dutch press took a stance on this a week ago and no more pics of HM and other members of the family will be photographed in relation to this.

A very wise and respectfull decision IMO,and acknowledged as such by the RF yesterday as they made it known to be pleased with the respect shown.

Wont Friso being in a hospital in London make it difficult for his mother and older brother to see him often seeing as how they must remain in their own country?

Wont Friso being in a hospital in London make it difficult for his mother and older brother to see him often seeing as how they must remain in their own country?

Oh no no problem at all,London is just under one hour away.

I understand that completely. I just think it's sad that something that's so nececessary is so expensive.

Insurances are pretty cheap who cover that. It's often included in the membership of an automobile club or cheaper for members and part of a travel health insurance. That's for a transport back to the country of residence in case there happens to be a accident. Maybe even prince Friso had such an insurance!

Within a country necessary ambulance flights are covered by the health insurance which is obligatory in Germany eg.

Do you think this tragedy may move forward an abdication of Queen Beatrix?

In the sense that she would be able to devote more time to visit her son and care for her daughter-in-law and grandchildren.
It would also make it simpler to visit her son in the clinic and also enable her to visit him more often (and not least his family).

Alternatively, is it possible that Queen Beatrix might cede the throne temporarily?
For say six month until they have an idea whether Prince Friso might recover to some degree or until they decide what to do.

Incidentally I read an article yesterday about some Danish research regarding patients who are severely braindamaged and unresponding. Tests had shown that a particular influenza medicine had very beneficial results on such patients.
The drug is called Amantadin.
184 patients have been tested with positive results.

Here is the article, in Danish, but I'm sure you are able to dig up more info yourself: Influenza-medicin vækker svært hjerneskadede til live | Videnskab.dk

ADDED: More on Amantadin, in English: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMo...brain-injuries/story?id=15815964#.T1CKPXmZGkQ

Last edited:
Alternatively, seeing Friso's children without their father to all intents and purposes, maybe it'll make Beatrix more resolved than ever to give Willem Alexander's daughters as much time with their father as possible while they're still so young?

People already said that Beatrix would retire when Claus died, her "everything". But she didnt. I wouldnt expect her to retire now, its tough but she is a trooper.

I dearly hope that the notorious British press will leave this family alone. We don't need to see pictures of whenever Princess Mabel visits her husband.

To be fair neither the Daily Mail or Telegraph which reported the accident have not said anything about Friso being moved to London so I can't see them needing pictures or demand from British press is likely to be low.

Of course they can´t let him die just to end this horrible situation but I think as long as Friso stays in this pitiable unconscious condition this all will overshadow this monarchy probably for years. F.i. any time they celebrate Koniginnendag which was always so full of fun and the Dutch family members in good mood and a public festival for the Dutch people you just can´t stop thinking of Friso. It´s really a dilemma.

Don't you think its better to look into future? Even the situation with Friso is terrible, they should come back to everyday life. That would be good for psyche.

After my fathers death a doctor gave me that advice. I have not forgotten the pain after his death, but the "everyday life" had helped me to handle the situation.

I dearly hope that the notorious British press will leave this family alone. We don't need to see pictures of whenever Princess Mabel visits her husband.

To be honest, the British press don't give a care about foreign royalty, only their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I contradict myself here. I am very much for moving on, but personally I don't think participating in the Queensday celebrations this year is the right thing to do for the Royal Family. I think it is more appropiate to spend this day in a different way than usual.
But, again, they should do what they think is right.
Meanwhile I have great respect for Her Majesty that she is going back to work next Monday.

I have to disagree. Prince Friso has not passed on, which means the family / country is not in mourning. If he had passed, then by all means adjustments or a cancellation would be determined. At this time they are privately grieving as a family for what has happened to Prince Friso, however at this point he is still alive and the future holds many questions that will need to be sorted out as time goes on. Prince Friso is in a place where he is getting the best care available, and until there is a change in his current condition, the RF has to go on with their everyday lives.

Unless Prince Friso passes or there is a drastic change in his condition, the Koninginnedag should go on as planned.

i was talking with a friend who happen to be a nurse, she had one a littlegirl patient she was with down sindrome and she was in coma with brain damage and they were ready afte so long to pull the plug the night before shewoke up in the middle of the night she sat on the bed pull the tuve ofher face and look at hermother, it was a miracle, the doctors couldnt explain and she told me about other 2 cases 2 so miracles happen, ust lets pray for one!

I have to disagree. Prince Friso has not passed on, which means the family / country is not in mourning. If he had passed, then by all means adjustments or a cancellation would be determined. At this time they are privately grieving as a family for what has happened to Prince Friso, however at this point he is still alive and the future holds many questions that will need to be sorted out as time goes on. Prince Friso is in a place where he is getting the best care available, and until there is a change in his current condition, the RF has to go on with their everyday lives.

Unless Prince Friso passes or there is a drastic change in his condition, the Koninginnedag should go on as planned.
I agree with you. Life goes on. Unless Prince Friso dies within a relatively short period of the Queens Day the event is for the people of the Netherland and the royals. Life does not stop at a large company because the boss has a death in the family. Although one might wish the world could stand still for everyone to mourn it will not happen. Regents and other leaders are just that, leader of the rest of the people. Your personal trauma will take a back seat.

You are quite right. Life goes on, whether you want to or not. I lost my first husband when I was 47 and I was always amazed that the sun shone many days and people just continued living and doing things and then you realize that's what you have to do to.

Insurances are pretty cheap who cover that. It's often included in the membership of an automobile club or cheaper for members and part of a travel health insurance. That's for a transport back to the country of residence in case there happens to be a accident. Maybe even prince Friso had such an insurance!

Within a country necessary ambulance flights are covered by the health insurance which is obligatory in Germany eg.

I wish that was the case where I live. Sadly it isn't.

Oh no no problem at all,London is just under one hour away.

Good gracious seriously? My lack of geography is kicking in again; I always thought the Netherlands were in Central Europe and far away from the western islands.

British papers report that HM has visited prince Friso at Wellington Hospital.

German news magazine Focus claims that doctors in the Netherlands would normally end Friso's treatment as soon as possible. While in Germany more than 8000 patients who are comatose are kept alive by machines, it is claimed that in The Netherlands it's only 30, because doctors there stop the treatment if there is no chance of recovery.

http://www.focus.de/panorama/boulev...n-den-niederlanden-aufgegeben_aid_720053.html

Not sure if that is true but if it is true, then he is better off in a London hospital, I believe.

Last edited:
Sorry, I've missed some of the infos on Friso, has there been a confirmation in the meantime whether he IS on life support or not?
Breathing freely or being kept alive by machines is a huge difference regarding the treatment.

I am hoping the London Hospital can provide the Prince with state-of-the-art medical neurological care!

Sorry, I've missed some of the infos on Friso, has there been a confirmation in the meantime whether he IS on life support or not?
Breathing freely or being kept alive by machines is a huge difference regarding the treatment.

From the reports that I've read from the press conference, it never stated anywhere that he was on life support. However, post #841 in this thread seems to state that he is most definitely on life support. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong. :)

If he is in coma he is most likely hooked up to numerous machines. He needs to be fed, medicated and probably assistance with breathing. He is in coma with brain damage. Not likely that his brain is working as the control center of his being as it is designed to do.

If he is in coma he is most likely hooked up to numerous machines. He needs to be fed, medicated and probably assistance with breathing. He is in coma with brain damage. Not likely that his brain is working as the control center of his being as it is designed to do.
You are quite correct and sensible. Refer to Lucien's message #741.

Thanks for the update. When I read that rehabilitation would start now my first thought was rehabilitation from what? My guess is that if there is a breathing assistance it will be oxygen support but he wont be on full live support = mechanical ventilation so that he would die instantly if switched off.

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and Princess Mabel, mother and wife respectively of Dutch Prince Johan Friso, leave The Wellington Hospital in central London on March 2, 2012 where Prince Friso is being treated. Dutch Prince Johan Friso, brain-damaged and in a coma after being caught by an avalanche in Austria last month, was transferred to The Wellington Hospital in London on March 1 the palace said. Queen Beatrix, and the prince's wife and two daughters, also flew to London.
prince friso wellington hospital - News, photos, topics, and quotes

Poor Mabel and Beatrix. They look devastated, as I imagine anyone in their situation would be.

It looks like Mabel's sister (or someone) is with her as well. It must be an extremely trying time for her. Trying to be strong for Friso and her girls, and dealing with just EVERYTHING while also being in a sort of limbo. By limbo I mean waiting and hoping that Friso's situation changes while trying to have some sort of normalcy for the girls. They must be so confused.

I keep checking back on this thread to read the current news on Friso's situation and I can see how disheartening it is. What a devastating toll this is taking on the family and those pictures are just so heartbreaking to see. At this point, we're not looking at members of a royal family; just a mother and wife in pain trying to cope in a traumatic time, not to mention the children who are missing their father as well as Friso's brothers and all else who hold him dear.

I just hope they continue to draw strength from each other.

Last edited:
The situation must be unbearable for the entire Dutch Royal Family, and especially for Queen Beatrix and Princess Mabel. This picture of he two woman is just heartbreaking. :sad:

British papers report that HM has visited prince Friso at Wellington Hospital.

German news magazine Focus claims that doctors in the Netherlands would normally end Friso's treatment as soon as possible. While in Germany more than 8000 patients who are comatose are kept alive by machines, it is claimed that in The Netherlands it's only 30, because doctors there stop the treatment if there is no chance of recovery.

Niederländische Ärzte würden Prinz Friso aufgeben: „Wer nicht atmen kann, ist eigentlich schon tot“ - Boulevard - FOCUS Online - Nachrichten

Not sure if that is true but if it is true, then he is better off in a London hospital, I believe.
If there is, in fact, no chance of recovery, then I would think that the Netherlands has the right way of it. I wouldn't want to be kept alive like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom