Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a terrible situation to be in. I remember my grandfather being only kept alive by machines after a stroke and the doctors advised his children to switch off as there was no hope - he was 88! Still, all of his children (incl. my father), although knowing that it was the right decision, felt guilty about it whenever the topic came up.

And Friso is a young man with two young young children - I cant imagine what must be going through their heads now!!!

Its a different thing to be in the situation or theoretically thinking about it. I guess 99% of all posters here would for themselves say that they wanted machines to be switched off instead of being kept alive without any hope of full recovery but actually doing it - eg by a relative - is a different matter, for the person who is pushing the button!

they just annoced on sky news that he may never regain conceniss how terrible for all:( prayers for the all the family they must be deverstaed :(

This is very sad news indeed .I think the doctor was trying to gently prepare people with the words" One could say too long".I think the family will have some very hard decisions to make in the next few days.The fact that his resuscitation took 50 minutes is a very long time to spend without a proper flow of blood and oxygen and can have very serious consequences to the brain.I am afraid I don't hold out much hope for a rehabilitation but I hope I am wrong.Gaby Gifford's injury is in a way easier for the brain to accommodate to, I know this sounds incredible but it is just the way of the human body.I hope his family continues to support each other in the difficult days ahead.

The worst fears have come true... :sad: Can't say how sad I am to learn about his news. I wish Mabel, the girls and Queen Beatrix all strength in the world...

I didn't know whether to post them here with regards to the family's privacy at this time but over at PPE there are heartbreaking pictures of the Queen, Mabel, Prince Constantijn, Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Margriet leaving the hospital. Constantijn looks like he is holding Queen Beatrix up:sad:

so horrible!!! poor beatrix and mabel! al the energy for them.

Its a terrible situation to be in. I remember my grandfather being only kept alive by machines after a stroke and the doctors advised his children to switch off as there was no hope - he was 88! Still, all of his children (incl. my father), although knowing that it was the right decision, felt guilty about it whenever the topic came up.

And Friso is a young man with two young young children - I cant imagine what must be going through their heads now!!!

Its a different thing to be in the situation or theoretically thinking about it. I guess 99% of all posters here would for themselves say that they wanted machines to be switched off instead of being kept alive without any hope of full recovery but actually doing it - eg by a relative - is a different matter, for the person who is pushing the button!

So true, DoM. I still feel guilty because I had to put my cat down, how must it feel if you have to decide about life and death when it comes to a family member or a friend? It's the toughest decision one could ever face I guess. I do think age does not really matter here, but of course it's even more tragic that Friso is still so young and his daughters just girls. :sad: I was at a similar age like Luana when I lost my father, I really feel sorry for the girls. My thoughts are with the family.

Oh dear, that's simply horrible news. I feel so sorry for the family.

were does frisco and mabel live with the girls?

They live in London. It remains to be seen where they will take Friso, UK or Netherlands. Mabel might return home in order to have relatives around her. The girls will attend international schools anyway, in either country.

crm2317 - I think those pictures can be posted, they are heartbreaking but the family is a public family, they are fully aware of this, in good times and in bad times, and they partly grief in public. They could use other entrances but chose not to. The children are not around them.

The doctors look heartbroken too. And all because of not wearing the right equipment!!!, so terrible.

PPE Agency Hospital

I suppose it's important to keep some sense of hope for the future. Look at Gabrielle Giffords, brain damage doesn't get much more severe than having a bullet shot through it at point blank range. And yet, she continues to make great improvements, although of course it has affected her greatly.

Perhaps all is not lost.

Not quite correct. There is a huge difference between being shot in the head which affected a portion of Gifford's brain where the bullet passed through, versus complete lack of oxygen for over 50 minutes to the entire brain. Gabby Gifford was lucky indeed, and her recovery is due to her strength, immediate excellent medical care and the fact that the portion of the brain that was affected still allows her to think, walk and communicate. Prince Friso's entire brain was oxygen deprived. The damage is catastrophic. Although they are not saying at this point, he is more than likely being kept alive by artificial means. If this is the case, then the family may be faced with a difficult decision in the future when they are ready. My thoughts and prayers to his wife, children and the entire family.

Devastating news, when I read it I got tears in my eyes.
Poor family, and my heart goes out especially to Queen Beatrix, Princess Mabel and the girls.

How sad :sad:
Terrible for Beatrix, Mabel and the little ones.

This is devastating news and so hard for the family to bear. My prayers and sympathy go out to Mabel and her children and all of the DRF.

I didn't realize that Princess Margriet had traveled to Austria until I saw these pictures. Looking at them I wonder if she has come to say good-bye and if the family will soon make a decision to remove Friso from any type of life support system? Do we know if he is indeed on life support?

Oh my God...so sad !!!!!
My thoughts and prayers with all the family and specially with Her Majesty, Mabel and the little ones :(((((

I had also wondered if they'll remove Friso from life support. Such a terrible decision to face.

So true; we had to remove my father from life support several years ago. Heart-breaking, but merciful in the long run.

Last edited:
Maybe someone with medical knowledge can answer this. Why, when they are fully aware of the devastating effects of lack of oxygen to the brain for prolonged periods, did the medical staff at the hospital spend so long in resuscitation(sp?) attempts.

I just saw it one the NOS. Oh what horrible news

Lucien, I went on the swedish board but I am again on this board hoping good news about Friso.
There is almost a week that Friso had his accident, I hope to get more news at the end of this week with a more entire diagnostic.

I am very sorry,but there is no good news at all.The cerebral damage is too an extend that too much harm is done while he was under the avalange for far too long.Any hope the medical team might have had that the damage would be limited,also due to the low body temp of Prince Friso when he was found,was in vain.He will never regain to be his former self in any way.A devastating blow to His dear dear wife and children and ofcourse HM and his siblings.Yesterday a MRI scan was done for the first time since the accident,and that showed the huge cerebral damage.No chance,no hopes.
truly very very sad.

The family now has to look for a long term solution,if that is possible and if Friso makes that too have a 24-7 nursing home or anything simular,or private nurse.But the prognosis is really really the worst expected,and maybe that is not an option.He might just pass away as it already is.
His dear aunt Margriet also visited him as you already know,and I don´t see him returning to The Netherlands,not in his present condition..Sorry.

To answer questions on Friso being on life support systems,yes,he is,and he will not be able to have a life without it.I am so sorry,it is horrible,the worst case scenario.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that Princess Margriet had traveled to Austria until I saw these pictures. Looking at them I wonder if she has come to say good-bye and if the family will soon make a decision to remove Friso from any type of life support system? Do we know if he is indeed on life support?

I don't know if it was ever confirmed if he was on life support. He is in a coma but it is very different for him to be in a coma but breathing on his own than to be only kept alive by machines. If he was resuscitated for 50 minutes does that mean his heart began beating again and he commenced breathing again?

Because as the doctor of a medical team you never give up on such a prominent patient. Just think about the consequences if there was an inquest
and the judge ruled that is should have been right not to stop but the
doctor had done it... Better to go on then to be on the safe side.

Plus there had been the "miracle of Kärnten" in 1997 which has just been made into a film that was screened in Mid January, so anybody is remembering the case. A little girl was brought into a hospital after they had found her in a lake. She was very cold (only 18 + ° C) and had had to be reanimated, but the leading heart surgeon decided to operate against all odds.He was successful and today the little girl (who had not suffered any brain damages) is a healthy teenager.

So I think they stabilized the prince as good as possible and only now that they have proof that there is brain damage they can form an opinion like:"maybe too long".

I think it would be difficult to let the machines be switched off when Friso would be in the Netherlands. If I recall correctly the very liberal laws in the Netherlands concerning "euthanasia" are not valid when it comes to a coma patient. But then I'm no expert and surely don't want to discuss this.

It is difficult to put into words how this tragic and dreadful news makes me feel.

It is as if the accident has happened all over again yet this time, instead of there been some hope of positive news, the news has now come and the full extent of Friso's condition has been realised. My sincere and deepest thoughts go to to the royal family and to the people of the Netherlands.

The love that each member of the royal family has for Friso is unique. For Princess Mabel, Friso is her husband and soul-mate she must surely know Friso better thab anyone in the world and he her. For HM Queen Beatrix, Friso is her son and a mother's love and bond for her child is indescribable, he is part of her. For Willem-Alexander and Constantijn, Friso is their brother, with whom they grew up and shared so much together all these years.

The decision of how to proceed now will be made over time and will not be made lightly. It will be made with love and compassion. As someone said earlier, where there is life there is hope. I hope for all the world that if there is a chance that Friso can come back to his loved ones, that chance will be taken.

I am so sorry to hear this news, my thoughts and prayers with the Dutch Royal Family. I know how hard this must be for them, I have an aunt that suffered brain damage from lack of oxygen to the brain.

I pray that God will be have mercy and take Prince Friso. I know that is harsh but I think that is a better option than not being able have a full life as he once had.
Be swift Heavenly Father and release your servant Friso from his pain and suffering.
I prayer for a swift answer and for all the Dutch royal family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom