Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying that the press has no responsibility, other than to get a photo?

Are you saying that the press has no responsibility, other than to get a photo?

It's not a question of whether the media is right or wrong. The fact is, either way, they're going to hound the royals when they're moving around in public in the middle of one of the biggest stories in a long time.

If the prince thinks that asking them to back off will change things, he's being naive. Instead of losing his temper or risking the children being harassed, he'd be wiser to simply keep them out of the line of fire.

He's been through this kind of thing before, so he should know better.

Her Majesty the Queen will return to the Netherlands this coming weekend shortly for private appointments.
According to journalist Marc van de Linden there are rumours that she will have a meeting with Prime Minister Rutte this weekend.
This could well be possible because there must be something really urgent I think for the Queen to return to the Netherlands while her son is still in a critical condition.
Ofcourse they will discuss Friso I think as well as other matters in the country but I must say that, if this rumour that they will meet be true, I am afraid that they could also possibly be discussing how to handle things if Friso were to die (which I seriously hope not!).
The more time passes, the more worried I get.
I pray every day for Friso and his family...

Hendrik-Jan77 said:
Her Majesty the Queen will return to the Netherlands this coming weekend shortly for private appointments.
According to journalist Marc van de Linden there are rumours that she will have a meeting with Prime Minister Rutte this weekend.
This could well be possible because there must be something really urgent I think for the Queen to return to the Netherlands while her son is still in a critical condition.
Ofcourse they will discuss Friso I think as well as other matters in the country but I must say that, if this rumour that they will meet be true, I am afraid that they could also possibly be discussing how to handle things if Friso were to die (which I seriously hope not!).
The more time passes, the more worried I get.
I pray every day for Friso and his family...

Wilhelm is going as well, they're both going for royal engagements and will be back in Austria next week.

I was just wondering when the Queen schedule was supposed to resume. I'm sure it will not be easy to got through the various engagements.

His condition really depends upon how long he was without oxygen. The fact that he was revived is a positive sign. If there is any hope that he will recover - in any way - he will most likely be moved to another hospital. Then, if he continues to improve, he will have a long road of rehab in front of him, because the lack of oxygen would have indeed caused a brain injury, and depending what areas were affected, his rehab will center around that; and will take time to be be diagnosed.
Yes, hypoxic brain injury is the real concern. 20 minutes without oxygen to the brain (and other organs) is very bad. Though because his body was in a very cold environment, that may help.

What is Friso job?

Chief Financial Officer for a uranium enrichment company called URENCO. Urenco has their main offices in Stoke Poges, Berkshire, UK, and have plants in the Netherlands, Germany, Capenhurst UK, and New Mexico in the US. Prince Friso is now taking care of all four plants.

The prince can take his children anywhere he wants. But, he should know that if he's going to take them to the spot where the media are following one of the biggest stories around the royal family in decades, the entire family will be under constant press scrutiny.

If he wants to shield the children from that, he shouldn't bring them into the media circus.

He can control the children; he can't control the media.
So because the paparazzi are such vultures he should send all the children away? You have got to be joking. Taking them to the spot where media are following . . . . excuse me, this is not all about the rights of the media, it is not even about Prince WA "knowing better". It is about family!

The family are where they are because of tragic personal circumstances and like most families, when the going gets tough the family get together to support each other and to protect each other. In families this works both ways. The adults protect the children and try to maintain as much normality as they can. The children provide their parents and extended family with joy, and a belief in the future. They are balm to the lacerated spirits of the adults who understand the severity of the situation.

Are the children of the NRF not entitled to be with their family in such dire circumstances? Are they to be kept out of sight, perhaps even shunted off home without their parents, knowing that a loved parent or uncle could yet die, maybe sent back to school which I am sure the media would stake out with impunity.

So, it is the media that is intruding on a family's pain, grief and distress. Just because Friso is a Prince does not negate common decency with respect to his family.

More details:

It was announced by RVD (the Dutch government information service) that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands will extend her stay in Lech, Austria to remain by His Royal Highness Prince Johan Friso of Oranje-Nassau’s side. As you know by now, the Prince is in a coma at Innsbruck University Hospital.
As a result of the Queen’s extended stay she has cancelled all of her official appointments for next week. RVD also announced that His Royal Highness Crown Prince Willem-Alexander of Oranje will represent Her Majesty during the “…70th anniversary commemoration of the Battle in the Java Sea…” on February 27, 2012. Afterward, the heir to the Dutch throne will return to Lech, Austria to be with the rest of the royal family.

Source: Radio Netherlands via RVD via The Royal Correspondent

I think her schedule is a bit up in the air until there is some resolution regarding her son. She is returning to The Netherlands this weekend, along with the Prince of Orange, to take on engagements early in the week before returning to Austria. I doubt very much if her long terms schedule is known given the present situation. She doesnt like to cancel engagements and I suppose could commute in the short term as needed but I don't think that could continue indefinitely.

Today is the end of the week, so I do hope that there is some news later today that the Dr's or family can say.

Last edited:
What a torture for the family. A week of waiting and hoping before the eyes of the world with the pressure of the press. I hope so much that we hear some positive promising words at 12 today.

I hope so too. I can't even begin to imagine what a terrible week it must have been for Frisco's wife, mother and the rest of the family. I hope so much to hear positive news about him in few hours.

I was just in the Swedish forum to get to know the name of the little new born princess with happy excitement. And now I turned to this site with hope for good news.

What a strange day in the royal world....

The press conference is about to start. They say that HM, Princess Mabel, the prince of Orange and prince Constantijn are on their way to the hospital.

The press conference will be given by the head of the department, Wolfgang Köller; a translator will be sitting next to him.

Added:
- the prince was 25 minutes under the snow
- the prince had a long cpr. the heart stopped, this lasted 50 minutes. during this time the patient was reanimated. This is a very long time, 'one can say too long'.
- yesterday it was for the first time possible to have a neurologic scan without extra danger for the prince. It became clear that the lack of oxygen led to massive damage to the brain of the patient.
- it can not be predicted if and when he will regain conscience. If he does it may take months or years to revalidate.
- the family will look for a suitable clinic for the patient.

End of the press conference. The news couldn't have been worse.

Last edited:
:previous: Translation please anyone? Those doctors sounded so serious and sad.

Actually it's rather clear MARG, as a result of the lack of oxygen there was/is brain damage. A certain long-period prognosis is rather nebulous. Since he can't stay in Austrai during this long and difficult path to recory he will be taken elsewhere.
I wish them lots and lots of patience and strength.
My prayers are with them.

Last edited:
This is such sad news to hear. He will remain in my thoughts and prayers, as will the rest of his family.

Awful news. So it was actually much worse than we thought previously.

I feel very much for his family and friends.

Sad news...shivers down my spine, lump in the throat and tears in my eyes. Feels as if it is a family member of mine. All the best to the DRF especially his wife and children.

Horrible, horrible news.

Oh my, this is really bad. IMHO heart is heavy for the Dutch Royal family. The Prince we all knew, im afraid is forever gone, so sad.

Last edited:
I guess his family, not unlike us, prayed for the best but prepared for the worst. My prayers go to his family as they struggle to cope with the reality of the situation.

We usually think in terms of life or death but as demonstrated by Prince Friso, there is a lot in between. However, it seems clear that the Friso they knew is gone forever whether or not he recovers from his coma. Not an easy situation to come to terms with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom