Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The medical team has not come out with details of what so kind except that we all know for sure that he is in an induced coma, so the smallest change, I doubt will be mentioned because then they will have to give details which at this point the family is not ready/won't share. The most they can say is that there is no change.

A clip of HM and Princess Mabel leaving the hospital:

Koningin en prinses Mabel: na bezoek woensdag - YouTube

Royalblog notes that they seemed to be in a slightly 'lighter' mood compared to yesterday. princess Mabel seemed to be carrying a drawing (made by her daughters, the blog suggests). But as said: the official announcement is the same as it has been since friday. If there would be an improvement I am sure it would have been told in some way, if only to get rid of the media attention.

Last edited:
i am no expert on medicine, can someone tell why a prognosis is difficult at the early stages after the accident?

I think a prognosis is difficult because some people come out of medically induced comas after quite a while. My uncle was in that state for 32 days, came out of it, lived for 7 years (he was in his mid-70s when he had his accident). Friso is younger and may stand a better chance. That is my hope.

I get the impression that Mabel is uncomfortable with the paparazzi at the hospital. Visiting the hospital is a routine now and she is still leaning on the people with her for support. In the video of her leaving with her sister they walk down the hall separately then as they are coming to the exit she reaches for her sisters hand.

I get the impression that Mabel is uncomfortable with the paparazzi at the hospital. Visiting the hospital is a routine now and she is still leaning on the people with her for support. In the video of her leaving with her sister they walk down the hall separately then as they are coming to the exit she reaches for her sisters hand.

One thought that hit my mind when it was mentioned that Mabel was holding a drawing is that all of the family and close friends that visit Friso are a big part of his recovery. Although he is in a medically induced coma, they are probably urged and encouraged to talk to him about day to day events and memories. It is said that even in a coma, a person can and does hear what's going on around him. One of the girls must have drawn a picture for Daddy and was told all about it.

On an encouraging note, as KittyAtlanta has said, there are people that have been in comas for a longer period of time and have totally recovered. Another case is singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot who during a serious illness was in a coma for 6 weeks. He's recovered fully and is back to performing. He's in his 70s. We really need to remain hopeful and optimistic that the very best is being done and look for a positive outcome.

Where there is life, there is hope.

i am no expert on medicine, can someone tell why a prognosis is difficult at the early stages after the accident?

To give a good prognosis his body temperature has to be to normal again.As he was found that was 32 celsius,in order not to damage vital organs he was at first "kept cool" and then is slowly "warmed-up" to normal temp.That takes time,and in his case more time then expected before so there is no certainty if,and to what extend,damage has been done in the 20 minutes he was buried in the avalange.It is very difficult.
As I said this afternoon,the bulletin might indicate a prognosis will not come this weekend but might be delayed.

This evening Princess Mabel visited again and was accompanied by her brother- and sister in law: Crown Prince Alexander and Princess Máxima.

Last edited:
Thank you Lucien. I always wait for your comments as they are truthful and not "sugar coated", which is what is needed now. My local small church has placed his name on their 'prayer circle list'. It all helps.

Ofcourse it all helps Winnie!What a lovely thing to do!!Ofcourse it helps,please ask them to keep him on the list,at least untill after the prognosis.:flowers:

To give a good prognosis his body temperature has to be to normal again.As he was found that was 32 celsius,in order not to damage vital organs he was at first "kept cool" and then is slowly "warmed-up" to normal temp.That takes time,and in his case more time then expected before so there is no certainty if,and to what extend,damage has been done in the 20 minutes he was buried in the avalange.It is very difficult.

This evening Princess Mabel visited again and was accompanied by her brother- and sister in law: Crown Prince Alexander and Princess Máxima.

Indeed, and the RVD (Dutch Government Information Service) has updated their daily bulletin to the effect that more information will be given once the Doctors feel they can give a prognosis. In other words, Friday is no longer the date that more news can be expected. The Telegraaf, The Netherlands' largest tabloid, published a picture of The Prince and Princess of Orange with Princess Mabel upon their departure from the hospital tonight. Maxima and Willem Alexander were not wearing sunglasses to show the deep concern and worry in their faces. Let's all pray harder.:flowers:

There's no significant brain activity when someone is in a coma, so until he comes out of it, they really can't assess whether the accident caused brain damage.

Even if he were to come out of the coma today, it could be days, weeks, or months before the doctors would be able to give a real prognosis. People don't just snap awake like in the movies.

After that, who knows? He could end up perfectly fine, have long- or short-term problems, or even die.

I hope he'll end up in the "perfectly fine" category very soon. :)

Let's hope those more relaxed faces mean good news.

I'm sure the doctors are being very conservative here. No amount of brain testing is a substitute for actually allowing the patient to wake up and then seeing if any function is impaired. Accurate EEG's cannot be obtained on a patient in a medically induced coma (which is usually only done if brain swelling/bleeding is suspected). I don't think we know anything more about what else they may be doing regarding his core temperature, etc.

We all pray for his recovery and peace for the family. Thank you, Lucien, for your acurate and heartfelt reports.

This has nothing to do with this thread, but I found it very interesting that the news of 'Prince' Pierre Casaraghi's latest shenanigans were in the NY city newspapers. It's really very sad that the editors would post a story about someone, while a 'real prince' well being is just thrown to the wind.

It is indeed very sad. And that is because our tabloid saturated culture would probably be more keen to read up about a young, handsome jet-setting scion of European nobility getting his face rearranged...Grace Kelly's grandson to be exact!

And notice how everytime Stavros Niarchos III is mentioned, the rags remind everyone that he once dated Paris Hilton?? See what I mean?? :sad:

Unfortunately, sometimes one gets more relaxed when you start to accept the situation even if it's awful. To me they all look very distraught, and understandably so. I know one should never lose hope but I fear the worst. This is a very sad time.

Unfortunately, sometimes one gets more relaxed when you start to accept the situation even if it's awful. To me they all look very distraught, and understandably so. I know one should never lose hope but I fear the worst. This is a very sad time.
You are absolutely correct. The initital chock will wear off and acceptance of the situation will set in. Human beings have an amazing ability to continue on even in situations like this. No matter how harsh it may sound but life goes on. Let's hope the family have indeed received some good news.

Very true Juliette & Grevinnan,and very human.It is part of the human survival instinct.

One thought that hit my mind when it was mentioned that Mabel was holding a drawing is that all of the family and close friends that visit Friso are a big part of his recovery. Although he is in a medically induced coma, they are probably urged and encouraged to talk to him about day to day events and memories. It is said that even in a coma, a person can and does hear what's going on around him. One of the girls must have drawn a picture for Daddy and was told all about it.

True,people often do get what is told to them during coma,they might even react emotionally in that one sees tears running down a face.Would be nice,that if,if,he wakes up,he looks at a drawing made by his children.Talking to them is the thing to do,tell them everything but most of all that they are loved.

For the first time in 6 days there is a minimum of posters and guests at this thread,they're all in the maternity room with Victoria and Daniel..Grinning.....A reminder that life does go on and the cyclus never stops.

I am sure HM will send a mesage to Victoria,as HM is her Godmother and besotted with her..A welcome distraction for the time being.

Last edited:
Lucien, I went on the swedish board but I am again on this board hoping good news about Friso.
There is almost a week that Friso had his accident, I hope to get more news at the end of this week with a more entire diagnostic.

For the first time in 6 days there is a minimum of posters and guests at this thread,they're all in the maternity room with Victoria and Daniel..Grinning.....A reminder that life does go on and the cyclus never stops.

I am sure HM will send a mesage to Victoria,as HM is her Godmother and besotted with her..A welcome distraction for the time being.

Where you fear for the life of the one you welcome the life of the other. This is how it goes. Sadness and happyness go on hand in hand sometimes..

I would like and hope that today we will hear for another great news :)

You are absolutely correct. The initital chock will wear off and acceptance of the situation will set in. Human beings have an amazing ability to continue on even in situations like this. No matter how harsh it may sound but life goes on. Let's hope the family have indeed received some good news.

Human brain has so many resources that even the world's best doctors cannot explain. I had a similar experience when I was only 9 due to a severe illness. I had one of the so called 'near death experiences'. I remember that as one of the best experiences I had in my life. So stay hopeful. Prince Friso is a strong, healthy man. I'm sure he'll be staying with his family for more years to come.

Queen Beatrix and the Prince of Orange will return briefly to The Netherlands to attend to official engagements at the beginning of next week and then return to Austria.

Koningin Beatrix blijft langer in Lech - Binnenland | Het laatste nieuws uit Nederland leest u op Telegraaf.nl [binnenland]

Dutch Queen cancels appointments | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Life indeed does go on and there are many decisions that the Dutch Royal Family members are facing. Prince Friso of course cannot remain indefinitely in an Austrian hospital and many wonder what next steps will be taken. The Prince and his family live in London, so will they go back there to fulfil the chidren's school needs? All depends of course on the Prince's condition; one cannot imagine what the family is going through and thoughts and prayers are with them.

Last edited:
His condition really depends upon how long he was without oxygen. The fact that he was revived is a positive sign. If there is any hope that he will recover - in any way - he will most likely be moved to another hospital. Then, if he continues to improve, he will have a long road of rehab in front of him, because the lack of oxygen would have indeed caused a brain injury, and depending what areas were affected, his rehab will center around that; and will take time to be be diagnosed.

I feel bad for the children, but the prince should have known this would happen.

If he didn't want the children to be photographed and followed, he shouldn't have brought them to a public place where the media is covering a dramatic, breaking story about the family. The children would have been left in peace at home or on vacation elsewhere with friends.

Again, I'm not saying the media is right, nor do I think that frightening children is a good thing ever. But, if the prince is that concerned, he can move the children out of the spotlight and end the problem very easily.

Why should Mabel not have her children there? Why should the CP not have his children there? It is the press who are intruding. I'm sure there have been attempts by the press to somehow make their way to Friso's room.

I say let the Prince lose his temper.

This story was in the DailyMail today...I know every situation is different but it does give some hope that there is hope for Friso

British skier Rhianna Shaw's miracle escape from Austrian avalanche | Mail Online
Thanks for this insight into what must be a nightmare experience. The fact that Ms Shaw is alive to tell the tale indeed is encouraging in the case of Prince Friso but, as we don't know the extent of his injuries we must continue our cyber vigil. There is by the way a young man in Utrecht who is holding a vigil for the Prince at the city's famous cathedral:flowers:
Eenmanswake in Utrecht voor Friso - Utrecht - AD

Why should Mabel not have her children there? Why should the CP not have his children there? It is the press who are intruding. I'm sure there have been attempts by the press to somehow make their way to Friso's room.

I say let the Prince lose his temper.

The prince can take his children anywhere he wants. But, he should know that if he's going to take them to the spot where the media are following one of the biggest stories around the royal family in decades, the entire family will be under constant press scrutiny.

If he wants to shield the children from that, he shouldn't bring them into the media circus.

He can control the children; he can't control the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom