Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found the information that prince Friso did not wear an airbag because of the heavy weight of that. Seems that Florian Moosbrugger, his friend, is an active member of the "Bergwacht" rescue team and thus is trained in carrying heavier weights while going skiing, so he took the airbag-equipment while the prince who might not have been so trained, decided against it.

Not be so trained?He was born with ski's on instead of pampers!Friso,as all members of the RF,is an absolutely excellent skiier regardless what slopes.They all rather take the black and off slopes,all of 'm.But hey,an avalange never announces itself.

I can only imagine how awfull FM must feel,poor guy.

Her_Majesty said:
That's something I'll never get... I was in Austria myself last week and all over Tyrol people were warned again and again several times NOT to leave the safe piste.
People were warned via radio, TV, signs at the piste itself etc.. As mentioned before the warning of a descent of an avalache was 4 on a scale of 5. WHY do people have to leave the piste anyway? It's just not responsible.

However: What happened to Friso is horrible. I really hope he'll recover. My thoughts are with his family.

I ski avidly and have since I was a little girl. Skiing off trail (or piste) means an opportunity to ski in the most amazing fresh powder and a lot of times one can be tricked into a false sense of security because the groomed trail are so (relatively) safe, you just sort of forget in the moment.

I wear avalanche beacons whenever I ski, purely out of precaution. If I'm tempted to ski of trail, I at least have the beacons. While I listen to the reports, it's still my decision to go or not and 9 times out of 10, I choose off trail when presented the chance.

I am praying for the Dutch Royal Family and Prince Friso I the aftermath of this horrible accident. And also for the others effected. The other skier who was with him must be in a horrible place right now as far as guilt goes and I do hope he realizes he's not to blame.

It won't stop speculation I fear (yesterday several medical experts were interviewed if the 'no news' -thing was a good or a bad sign), but at this point very little will stop it.

It's a variation of 'Horror Vacui' - fear of the empty space! We don't like empty spaces and seek to fill them with whatever we have to fill them with. In journalism the filling matter is called speculation, which - by the way - is what a lot of us TRF members are guilty of too :blush:!
I suppose it's only human....it's certainly a way of communicating and sharing our interests in all things royal!

Regarding the photos in#363: Now we'll start speculating why Princess Mabel is smiling!

viv

Last edited:
Maybe she was thinking about happy moments with Prince Friso!

Maybe that too,but the Princess was smiling at her oldest daughter Countess Luana,and all the other grandchildren of HM The Queen as they were off to the slopes with uncle Alex and aunt Máxima while Mabel herself was off to Friso with HM,her mother and youngest daughter Countess Zaria.....

Alexander & Mäxima,and Constantijn & Laurentien.These four have my greatest admiration for being the enormous wonderfull uncles and aunts any kid could wish for.They keep the children out of the spotlights & misery and into the fun day to day while they themselves are worried and saddened they smile and make fun with the children..Admirable!

Last edited:
Lucien, many thanks for all your information and updates. You always do a great job in this forum !!

I agree with you, I think they are admirable trying to keep the kids out of this situation and being with them !! I really love the Dutch Royal Family, I think all of them are really great human beings !!!

My best wishes for Prince Friso, he is in my prayers every day !!

Not be so trained?He was born with ski's on instead of pampers!Friso,as all members of the RF,is an absolutely excellent skiier regardless what slopes.They all rather take the black and off slopes,all of 'm.But hey,an avalange never announces itself.

I can only imagine how awfull FM must feel,poor guy.

I didn't want to imply that prince Friso is not an excellent skier. But it's a difference if you are trained to ski with a heavy rucksack like the mountain rescue team members are or if you are out to enjoy the perfect skiing day as a tourist. For untrained skiers carrying the avalanche rucksack takes a bit of the easy going fun out of the experience, that's all I wanted to say. :flowers:

My son's a member of a medical rescue team and they train regularily to run longer distances carrying their heavy equipment uphill. They couldn't do their job without being well-trained and fit.

What is the avalanche rucksack?? It is a kind of equipment which might be carried by a "simple" skieur and not only by medical/rescue team??

I didn't want to imply that prince Friso is not an excellent skier. But it's a difference if you are trained to ski with a heavy rucksack like the mountain rescue team members are or if you are out to enjoy the perfect skiing day as a tourist. For untrained skiers carrying the avalanche rucksack takes a bit of the easy going fun out of the experience, that's all I wanted to say. :flowers:

My son's a member of a medical rescue team and they train regularily to run longer distances carrying their heavy equipment uphill. They couldn't do their job without being well-trained and fit.

Don't worry Kataryn,I understood as much..;)

Yes Fandesacs,it's like a backpack which will work like an airbag if in a avalange and it has a transmitter in it so one is easyer found by emergency units.

This accident involving the Prince brought about a huge discussion in Austria and one of the plans now is to make these ABS rucksacks/backpacks mandatory.Maybe a bit uncomfortable in the beginning,but live-saving just in case.

Last edited:
They group did not use the main entrance this time, as was to be expected.

--
The Telegraaf reports that the Austrian Times claims that Mr. Moosbrugger was the one who saved the prince and dug him out of the snow with his bare hands. Mr. Moosbrugger is a member of the rescue team in Lech.
Skivriend redde Friso met blote handen - Binnenland | Het laatste nieuws uit Nederland leest u op Telegraaf.nl [binnenland]

They say that out of respect Mr. Moosbrugger doesn't talk to the press. He himself lost his father due to an accident in the Himalaya btw.

His mother Kristl Moosbrugger tells an Austrian newspaper that her family is deeply shocked by what happened & tht they can only pray and hope for the best.
Innsbrucker Ärzte kämpfen um Prinz Frisos Leben - Lawinendrama - Vorarlberg Online

---------------

The volkskrant has an article about the media reaction: either go along with the hype or stay behind. Millions are watching, liveblogs have 100.000s clicks per hour BUT: there is no news. The former director of the NOS news calls it all 'disgusting' and gutter journalism. What is obvious is that the media is struggling in the amount of reporting of these kind of events.
Meehypen of achterlopen? Media worstelen met Friso-nieuws - Internet & Media - VK

Florian Moosbrugger apparently did give an interview to the Austrian Times in which he tells he himself dug out Friso.So FM did talk to the press himself....hero for a day....for what it's worth......

Yes Fandesacs,it's like a backpack which will work like an airbag if in a avalange and it has a transmitter in it so one is easyer found by emergency units.

Thanks

So, IF he worn this bag he would not be now in such critical condition!

This IF, in accidents is dramatical.

I don't think I was criticising CNN, Lumutqueen. I first heard about the accident when I logged on to this forum Friday night. In the US, royalty is not such a big topic. Obama gets more coverage. Except for William and Catherine's wedding last April and when Grace Kelly got married, then died 26 years later, royalty has really not been in the news much across the pond. I did see an article in my newspaper about Emperor Akihito having a bypass operation and was surprised to see that. When Joachim and Mare had their second child, there was a picture from the NY Times in the celebrity news section that said: 'Princess Marie and Prince Joachim of Denmark leaving the hospital with their new baby boy'. I guess no one on the Times staff cared enough to change the error. I'm just stating a fact which I think is right as far as coverage of royal visits in my country go. I am aware that Queen Elizabeth has been here from time to time to see Presidents and an occasional horse race, but other royals are hardly metioned.

Dutch royals thank public for support with Prince Johan Friso still in critical condition
HelloMagazine.com

Alexej we are aware of all that,don't bother,it's ok.You heard it after all.Good.

I wish they would call him Prince Friso,just Prince Friso.That is what the Princes name is and the only one he uses and how he wants it,without the Johan bit let alone Johan alone...:whistling:

Alexej we are aware of all that,don't bother,it's ok.You heard it after all.Good.

I wish they would call him Prince Friso,just Prince Friso.That is what the Princes name is and the only one he uses and how he wants it,without the Johan bit let alone Johan alone...:whistling:

I just noticed what you said! Prince Friso (where this Johan comes??)

And I noticed into the official website, that he is not a member of the Royal Family. I knew that he lost his rights to the throne, but I thought he still was a member, but apparently not.

Johan Friso sounds more "royal" than just Friso.
And Johan is a lovely, biblical name.

And I noticed into the official website, that he is not a member of the Royal Family. I knew that he lost his rights to the throne, but I thought he still was a member, but apparently not.

Ofcourse he is still a member of the Royal Family,not of the Royal House thus not in line.The Johan bit I mention is because that was as he was called in that Hello link that was provided by Dazzling.

Alexey 1904 said:
I don't think I was criticising CNN, Lumutqueen. I first heard about the accident when I logged on to this forum Friday night. In the US, royalty is not such a big topic.

Indeed it isn't. But you first comment was about not hearing it on the news until that day, when someone mentioned CNN had covered the story previously, you said it just shows how news channels rehash old stories. I assumed you were referring to Prince Johan Friso's accident.

fandesacs2003 said:

His full name is Prince Johan Friso Bernhard Christiaan David. He's known as Prince Friso though. The same situation applies to his daughters who aren't known by their first names either.

His full name is Prince Johan Friso Bernhard Christiaan David. He's known as Prince Friso though. The same situation applies to his daughters who aren't known by their first names either.

correct. From wikipedia:
Referred to from birth as Prince Johan-Friso, in 2004 the royal court announced that he requested his first name to be simply "Friso" without the prefix "Johan".

I ski avidly and have since I was a little girl. Skiing off trail (or piste) means an opportunity to ski in the most amazing fresh powder and a lot of times one can be tricked into a false sense of security because the groomed trail are so (relatively) safe, you just sort of forget in the moment.

I wear avalanche beacons whenever I ski, purely out of precaution. If I'm tempted to ski of trail, I at least have the beacons. While I listen to the reports, it's still my decision to go or not and 9 times out of 10, I choose off trail when presented the chance..

Most skislopes are so crowded with people that any reasonable skiing is almost impossible unless you leave the crowds. Besides a lot of people should not even be there if one judge by their skiing ability. There are lots more serious accidents on the slopes than off piste.

The dutch neuro-surgeon Tulleken who talked with an apparent doctor of the Prince with his journalist wife as a witness will be heared by the Inspection General of the Ministry of Health for breach of medical ethical rules in publicly speaking on the health of the Prince on matters confidential and a breach of the privacy of the patient,in this case Prince Friso.Dr.Tulleken apparently talked with someone who said he was in the team of the doctors attending to Friso while he wasn't.Tulleken,and his wife,took all that was said for thruth,but it is now evident that the whole story told by Austrian so-called neuro surgeon Claudius Thomé was made up and way besides the actual situation concerning Friso as he isn't at all a member of Friso's medical team as it turned out.....Are you all still with me?..

He said that the Prince did not have injuries except for being without oxygen for 20 minutes.That was wrong.Friso's situation is much more complicated and life-treatening then they made us believe,then I hoped to believe too due to their story inspite of it being not ethical.

Incredible but tonight his wife,the journalist Jannetje Koelewijn,is in one talkshow while he is in the other...what sick wacko's are that!?

I am very very worried for Prince Friso,I'm afraid.Keep him in your thoughts and keep him and wife & children,HM and the RF in your prayers,burn a candle even tho there is nothing else to say on the matter and all we all can do is wait.Even his mother and wife and other loved ones can do nothing else but that.What a tragedy,what ordeal to them.Truly sad.

Incredible but tonight his wife,the journalist Jannetje Koelewijn,is in one talkshow while he is in the other...what sick wacko's are that!?

Just a sad reflection of modern society's addiction to "reality" shows. Everyone wants their "15 minutes of fame".

Austrian tv had a short interview with Kristl Moosbrugger who eems to be very shocked still:
NOS Nieuws - 'Koningin heeft Florian als eigen zoon behandeld'

She said that HM took Florian in her arms and comforted him. She treated him like her own son. Mrs. Moosbrugger also adds that the two thought they were safe as there were a lot of trails in the snow. I can not imagine Mrs. Moosbrugger (or her son) will talk to the press without the approval of the RF. They have NEVER uttered a word before (and the family goes to Gasthof posts for 3 generations already), so ....

----
About Jannetje Koelewijn: she did seem odd indeed. And her case is very weak, and what she said didn't help it at all. She doesn't seem the sensationalistic type -at all- and neither is the NRC though.

-------

According to royalblog's twitter Princess Mabel is tonight accompanied by her younger sister Eveline Wisse-Smit.

Last edited:
No, I wasn't referring just to the skiing accident. There were a few other blurbs on the bottom of the screen that had been first shown on Thursday and Friday that were still being run on the weekend. Case in point: 'The US Postal service is seeking a .50c stamp.' So, when I saw the story 'Dutch prince(they didn't even know his name)severely injured in Austrian avalanche' I thought: 'Gee a new story', and then I thought, 'how awful'. Lucien, thank you for your comment. I appreciated it very much.

lucien said:
The dutch neuro-surgeon Tulleken who talked with an apparent doctor of the Prince with his journalist wife as a witness will be heared by the Inspection General of the Ministry of Health for breach of medical ethical rules in publicly speaking on the health of the Prince on matters confidential and a breach of the privacy of the patient,in this case Prince Friso.Dr.Tulleken apparently talked with someone who said he was in the team of the doctors attending to Friso while he wasn't.Tulleken,and his wife,took all that was said for thruth,but it is now evident that the whole story told by Austrian so-called neuro surgeon Claudius Thomé was made up and way besides the actual situation concerning Friso as he isn't at all a member of Friso's medical team as it turned out.....Are you all still with me?..

He said that the Prince did not have injuries except for being without oxygen for 20 minutes.That was wrong.Friso's situation is much more complicated and life-treatening then they made us believe,then I hoped to believe too due to their story inspite of it being not ethical.

I am very very worried for Prince Friso,I'm afraid.Keep him in your thoughts and keep him and wife & children,HM and the RF in your prayers,burn a candle even tho there is nothing else to say on the matter and all we all can do is wait.Even his mother and wife and other loved ones can do nothing else but that.What a tragedy,what ordeal to them.Truly sad.

I pray for Prince Friso, his family and the whole dutch royal family every day and will continue to do that. That idiotic neuro surgeon and his idiotic wife should be in prison and not in a tv show !

No, I wasn't referring just to the skiing accident. There were a few other blurbs on the bottom of the screen that had been first shown on Thursday and Friday that were still being run on the weekend. Case in point: 'The US Postal service is seeking a .50c stamp.' So, when I saw the story 'Dutch prince(they didn't even know his name)severely injured in Austrian avalanche' I thought: 'Gee a new story', and then I thought, 'how awful'. Lucien, thank you for your comment. I appreciated it very much.

No, we don't get the level of detail here in the U.S. media the way the European coverage is. All in all, a terrible ordeal for the family and for Prince Friso's skiing companion as well, I can imagine.

Is the prince still in a medically induced coma, or are the doctors attempting to rouse him at this point?

@ Baroness of Books:No,he is still sedated as we call it,medical induced coma and I dont believe the doctors even attempt to rouse him'.one reason being he is still in a extremely critical condition and is much more comfortable in the present state.I know that sounds awfull,and it is,sorry.

The avalange that hit the Prince and Mr.Moosbrugger was larger then first thought,not 50 but 200 meters wide according to the police investigation.Furthermore the slope was checked that morning and they had tryed to get an avalange going with the use of dynamite,9 times even (!) but nothing moved so it was cleared as safe.The Prince and Mr.Moosbrugger felt completely safe because of it.

A police investigation is customary in these cases,also Mr.Florian Moosbrugger was heard today.He and the Prince are friends ever since they were todlers and he is also the propietor of Gasthof Post.

I feel sorry for Florian Moosbrugger and hope will not feel any guild in this,it wasn't his fault,I hope his loved ones can convince him of that.

Last edited:
@ Baroness of Books:No,he is still sedated as we call it,medical induced coma and I dont believe the doctors even attempt to rouse him'.one reason being he is still in a extremely critical condition and is much more comfortable in the present state.I know that sounds awfull,and it is,sorry.

This may be a translation issue, but a medically induced coma is quite different from sedation. In a medically induced coma, doctors use drugs to slow brain metabolism in order to avoid brain damage and give the body a chance to rest.

Sedation is when a person is anesthetized to the point that they may not feel pain and/or may go into a deep sleep.

I believe there are a lot of other technical differences, too.

This may be a translation issue, but a medically induced coma is quite different from sedation. In a medically induced coma, doctors use drugs to slow brain metabolism in order to avoid brain damage and give the body a chance to rest.

Sedation is when a person is anesthetized to the point that they may not feel pain and/or may go into a deep sleep.

I believe there are a lot of other technical differences, too.

Kalnel,thank you,I know full well what it is.Ok,for the love of translation errors lets call it medical induced M.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom