The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Every so often I come back to this thread when I see it highlighted, thinking that the inevitable has happened. To see that Friso's condition remains the same with no realistic hope of any miraculous recovery is about as sad as it can get. The limbo that his family must be living, as well as his state of existence, must be hell and I just feel so sad for his children. I'm sure a good part of the Queen's decision to abdicate has to do with her son's condition and I hope being out of the limelight as a reigning monarch gives her some relief to cope with this stress and pain. Perhaps a viable decision will now be reached to terminate life support if it is deemed to be the only solution. There's really no easy answer anymore.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Courtier

I think it's worth keeping two things in mind. First, we actually have very little information regarding the medical specifics of the prince's condition at this point in time. Second, if they're typical of most loving family members in these situations, Beatrix and Mabel are by now the most knowledgeable people on earth regarding Friso's overall status. They've no doubt had endless conversations with multiple doctors, done research and reading on their own, and they're in the best position to know what pre-accident Friso's wishes would have been. Within whatever framework of choices they actually have, they're making the ones they feel are best for Friso and their family - and, as of now, they've decided to NOT terminate any support measures he may be getting.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

This situation is all speculation at this point since we don't know the specific facts and I commented that any termination of life support by the family is viable if deemed to be the only solution. That's why I rarely visit this site; I wouldn't presume to put myself in their shoes as far as what they decide is best for Friso and his family.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
This situation is all speculation at this point since we don't know the specific facts and I commented that any termination of life support by the family is viable if deemed to be the only solution. That's why I rarely visit this site; I wouldn't presume to put myself in their shoes as far as what they decide is best for Friso and his family.
Indeed Baroness of Books,I fully agree.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Any updates.

According to Wikipedia, 7 months ago he was showing signs of consciousness.

Does anyone know if he attended/watched any of the recent events?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Any updates.

According to Wikipedia, 7 months ago he was showing signs of consciousness.

Does anyone know if he attended/watched any of the recent events?
To the best of my knowledge, Friso still hasn't regained consciousness and unfortunately still is in a coma.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, Prince Friso is in a semi-vegetative state from what I understand, and may show basic reflex type movements- blinking and the like- but he is sadly completely unable to attend or watch any events and it's unlikely that he ever will be.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Royal Highness

I agree that I would never presume to put myself in this family's shoes and give my two cents on the subject, esp. as I don't know his actual condition. It's wonderful to see Mabel treated as one of the family.

I'm sure Friso's state must have cast a shadow on what was a wonderful event last week for the DRF.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

It was good to see Mabel walking with new Princess Beatrix, as two widows together. What a nice thought to do this! Not that Mabel is yet officially a widow, but her state is similar.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Courtier

I have a great deal of respect for the Dutch royal family for how they have handled this entire situation. It's very easy for us to lapse into thinking these are just "characters" in some play ... while, in reality, they are real members of real families dealing with some of the very real issues many of us do. I'm happy that Mabel walked in with Princess Beatrix. Very, very nice.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
It was good to see Mabel walking with new Princess Beatrix, as two widows together. What a nice thought to do this! Not that Mabel is yet officially a widow, but her state is similar.
I don't agree. Being a widow is sad and difficult, especially when there are young children but the position is clear cut and the widow can move forward planning her future and that of the children. I am in no way saying that this is easy.

Mabel is in limbo - there is no certainty. It must be truly awful; her future at present is linked to Friso and his condition.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't imagine the pain the family must be going through esp Friso & Mabel's children. They are so young.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Nobility

Willem-Alexander spoke about Friso in his pre-inauguration interview on April 17, 2013.

Interviewer: On April 30, your brother Friso, of course, will not be present. What does his absence mean for you?
PRINCE OF ORANGE: We are a very close family and we are three brothers who grew up within 2.5 years apart. We have been through a lot together. And then, of course, you want everyone there. And such an accident in a family, any family whatsoever, is just awful. Yes, so I find it tragic ...

Interviewer: Difficult question to ask, perhaps even more difficult to answer, but I want to ask it anyway, because many people will want to know. How is it going with your brother right now?
PRINCE OF ORANGE: Unfortunately, we have no new messages and we would let people know if there were substantial changes. So it is still the same, same situation. But he is in the best of hands and Mabel and my mother really do everything for him to make it as good as possible ...
PRINCESS MAXIMA: To give him a chance.
PRINCE OF ORANGE: To give him a chance. So yes, I have deep respect for Mabel and my mother for what they do for my brother.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I don't agree. Being a widow is sad and difficult, especially when there are young children but the position is clear cut and the widow can move forward planning her future and that of the children. I am in no way saying that this is easy.

Mabel is in limbo - there is no certainty. It must be truly awful; her future at present is linked to Friso and his condition.
You are quite right. Here the grief never stop or has a chance of healing. Not that you do not grieve for life, but it is a softer grief, this is still raw and never ending.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

some news about friso's condiction?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

In an interview three weeks ago WA said that the situation has not changed.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can't help wondering how long they'll leave him in that state?
I really can't think there's anything worse.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nor can I. I hope they will not keep him 'alive' in that state for much longer. People do not recover from hypoxic brain injury.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Nor can I. I hope they will not keep him 'alive' in that state for much longer. People do not recover from hypoxic brain injury.
I recently saw a documentary about people in comateuze or vegative state (not P.Friso himself)
and if his condition is anything like those people, than i don't think it's a matter of 'leave him in this state' or 'keep him alive'....
These people were not 'near death'...!
They were sitting in special wheelchairs not just lying down, they were breathing on their own without a breathing tube, and were in various states of 'awareness'... some had brainactivity when the name of a loved one was mentioned etc etc...

If there's any chance of some awareness to return, like recognize the family, maybe even learn to communicate again a little bit... I'm sure every family would jump at that chance...
Old 05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Different brain injury levels create different circumstances and prognoses. Friso is not breathing on his own. The vent has been breathing for him since the initial resuscitation.. He's not going to be able to sit up. Permanent brain damage occurs at 5 minutes. Friso was without Oxygen for 50 minutes. This is not a 'recoverable' injury. At the time of the accident, the doctor treating Friso said he had been without oxygen for 'too long'.

Tags
accident, health problems, prince friso, princess mabel, queen beatrix