The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
There are no children in these pictures.
Unfortunately there is a little blond girl in two of the pictures - I believe little Luana? I looked up the hospital and it has no private entrance or underground car park, so...

Quote:
I guess the royals are professional enough to recognize that there is public interest in everything they do, good or bad, and in these cases many people are not only sensationalists but also show compassion on the basis of these pictures.
You are right, here. OTOH the pictures gave interesting information as well. The queen and Mabel entered the hospital South. On the hospital's website one can see that the neurological rehabilitation unit is in the North wing, containing of 3 floors and the Intensive Care unit North on second floor, while in the South wing there is only a Intensive care unit and this one is on the Lower Ground floor next to OP theatres and one floor above the neurophysiology where the do mostly testing, not yet rehab....

A friend with knowledge of hospital planning and management said that IHHO this second Intensive Care unit is for worse cases than the other, as this is indicated by the closeness for emergency Ops. Plus the lower ground floor is in a lot of hospitals (eg Munich university hospital Großhadern) reserved for long term or private patients whose relatives should be able to enjoy the outlook into the garden.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Unfortunately there is a little blond girl in two of the pictures - I believe little Luana? I looked up the hospital and it has no private entrance or underground car park, so...
Your are right, the link has updated itself. When I posted it, those pictures werent there (only from March 2nd), there are from yesterday (March 3rd).

While I dont mind the adults being photographed, I think to include the children is wrong.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Aristocracy

grevinan, please refer to post #968 to find out who was quoted at saying the press are vultures. It is not MissJanet.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Listen, I don't think anyone meant any harm here. When you are in public life, you are in PUBLIC LIFE. They are of interest to certain populations and the photographers, today, make their livings selling pictures. The Duke of Marmalade is correct, they could arrive and leave in more closed off areas. But it is what it is. Miss Janet a vulture is a large bird that eats carrion, dead things. They hover over a kill, hence the use of the word. You are not a vulture. No one here has shown disrespect. It is all in what you think is right.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I wonder why Beatrix and Mabel always appear in those mourning-black dresses any time they visit Friso "officially". I mean he his not yet dead but Mabel to me already appears like a widow...

Wonder secondly how long Friso´s little daughters will stay interested in that body who probably will never again show any reactions. Mabel might want them to visit him regularly but IMO in a foreseeable time it will only become a (troublesome) duty because they are IMO relatively young maybe even too young to feel an urge to go on visiting him for month or even years....
In a sense they are in mourning. Life has drastically changed for the family as Friso likely will never be the man he was before. Beatrix will likely never have another conversation with her son the way she used to. Mabel will likely never receive the affection Friso used to giver her. The girls will likely never crawl into their fathers' lap or feel his arms wrapped around them. They all will likely never hear him say "I love you" again. They are mourning a life they likely no longer have.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
In a sense they are in mourning. Life has drastically changed for the family as Friso likely will never be the man he was before. Beatrix will likely never have another conversation with her son the way she used to. Mabel will likely never receive the affection Friso used to giver her. The girls will likely never crawl into their fathers' lap or feel his arms wrapped around them. They all will likely never hear him say "I love you" again. They are mourning a life they likely no longer have.
Well said. Terrible to understand that, being there but not really there !
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

It may be worse than that. She may have to make very difficult decisions in the future. She is a lovely and brave woman. Her shoes are very hard to fill.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder when we will have further information. We CARE about him !
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

TBH I don't expect any new information to be released any time soon. Things are as last stated by the RVD: the prince is in a coma & in a clinic in London. Unless there is a significant change the family probably will prefer to keep whatever the doctors are saying private, which is their good right.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, you are quite right. I, believe, from some information I read, that he can only stay there 2 to 3 weeks, if there is no improvement....on the other hand he is a prince. I don't know. It seems cruel all around.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

We heard so many experts and their information the last weeks! But in the end only the doctors and the family of the prince will know what is really going on. So we will just have to wait and see how things are proceeding. Indeed, it is a terribly cruel fate, both for the prince as for his wife, daughters, mother and the rest of the family.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, may they all find peace in this terrible time.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey 1904 View Post
grevinan, please refer to post #968 to find out who was quoted at saying the press are vultures. It is not MissJanet.
It was me.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I posted those pictures, and I dont think its respectless to do so. As before, the family chose to be out in public, I am sure there would be ways to get into the building without being seen. There are no children in these pictures. The pictures were taking openly and not in long-lense paparazzi style.

I reckon that Friso's case is exceptionally tragic because of his age & circumstances and that the Dutch members are really emotional about it, but there are other topics on this board covering tragic events where pictures are posted and distressed or mourning relatives are shown.

I remeber we already had the same discussion when Letizia's sister committed suicide and with heartbreaking pictures coming up before the funeral. But again, this was IN PUBLIC, like the Dutch Royals show themselves IN PUBLIC, its a choice, it could have been/be IN PRIVATE, if wanted. I guess the royals are professional enough to recognize that there is public interest in everything they do, good or bad, and in these cases many people are not only sensationalists but also show compassion on the basis of these pictures.
No-one needs to tell our Royals what professionalism is.And no-one need to tell them what vultures are.The family kindly requested for some peace and rest from the press after they have been very generous to the press while in Austria visiting Friso in hospital and in Lech despite the immens grief.The Dutch press already came up with that themselves.We here,the Dutch,are not the least bit interested in how people look while grieving.At all.One doesn't,out of respect,continue to picture people full face then still.It says nothing on the Royals,it adds no news,it adds to sales of rags only as Royal grief is apparently much sought after in some circles.Not here,not mine.

It is gutter journalism that seems to thrive on that,and it is the lazy attitudes and the horrendously infantile "we have to see it al!!!" wacko attitude in this time and age that apparently makes some think they really contribute to what in the core is a very sad thread.The daylife pics I refer too,yes.I don't care what some think,I prefer all have the intelligence and good manners not to post griefstricken dutch Royals.Sad as they all may be they've continued living their lives and duties and need rest to find their way in this new and sad situation.And who wouldn't.

I fully agree with Marengo's last post above.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I posted those pictures, and I don't think its respectless to do so. As before, the family chose to be out in public, I am sure there would be ways to get into the building without being seen. There are no children in these pictures. The pictures were taking openly and not in long-lense paparazzi style.

I reckon that Friso's case is exceptionally tragic because of his age & circumstances and that the Dutch members are really emotional about it, but there are other topics on this board covering tragic events where pictures are posted and distressed or mourning relatives are shown.

I remember we already had the same discussion when Letizia's sister committed suicide and with heartbreaking pictures coming up before the funeral. But again, this was IN PUBLIC, like the Dutch Royals show themselves IN PUBLIC, its a choice, it could have been/be IN PRIVATE, if wanted. I guess the royals are professional enough to recognise that there is public interest in everything they do, good or bad, and in these cases many people are not only sensationalists but also show compassion on the basis of these pictures.
I am completely stunned by your callous disregard to the pain and dignity of members of the NRF and any other royal family for that matter.

You seem to believe that if they step out of the door, for whatever reason, they are fair game for the media because they chose to to leave the privacy of their own homes.

Logically if one needs to visit a hospital they have to leave home so, since they chose to do so, it's piccies for everyone right in the face! Same goes for funerals, they have to go to the service and then the cemetery but, since they chose to leave their homes and go into public, its a free for all!

Funny, I didn't think we had developed the technology for site to site transports yet and hospitals, churches, cemeteries, etc. cannot come to them. That being the case, venturing into public in times of great personal stress/grief is totally and utterly unavoidable. Common decency dictates that they be given personal space.

I always wondered why the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret all wore heavy black veils when travelling with the King's body prior to the funeral. Now I know.

Hollywood does big hats and enormous sunglasses, the modern day veil against the probing of the media in times of pain and grief, perhaps we will see a return to such drastic measures as mourning veils to retain a modicum of dignity and space.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Aristocracy

We can't have it only one way. I feel like I'm violently intruding HM Beatrix privacy by even accidently looking at the recent photos. Such pain and grieving should not be exposed to the whole world. But - don't we all love the picture of Victoria and Daniel with little Estelle in the stroller? Same interference, different emotions.

Everyone draws the line differently. Personally I can never get over the published Charles/Camilla telephone conversation, what a horror in breach of privacy, other people found it amusing.

Of course, not only royals are subjects of this. Alot of people never needed to know intimte details about Bill Clinton/Monica Levinsky, other people found it appropriate to discuss a stained dress and the use of a cigar.

The list goes on and on. For every royal wedding is a Ernst-August doing the EXPO, for every happy moment in pictures and text, there seems to be a tradegy.

We talk about this people using their first names only, as if they are well-known or even related to us. In a way, they are, this is how being royal works this days. I care about HM Beatrix, Mabel and the whole family. If possible, I would call and offer some help, like I would do if they were my neigbours. I cannot stand them being exposed, but it is the collective attention that is the main reason for the institution nowadays.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I always wondered why the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret all wore heavy black veils when travelling with the King's body prior to the funeral. Now I know.
At the time this was what mourning women wore. Here, until the mid-sixties, in French-Canadian Catholic churches, women also wore hat to go to mass. Nowadays, outfits are more relax when people go to church but it`s not always a good thing.

Yes we see the sadness of the NRF when they visit Friso but we also see their dignity. We too often tend to act as if pain of having a loved one in a critical condition or pain to lose a loved one did not exist. Human beings need time to heal their pain - emotional pain - when losing someone. But that is often skipped by our productive way of thinking.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Heir Apparent

When in London, I often drive past the Wellington. In the last few days, my thoughts have been with the Dutch royal family in this difficult time.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'd so much love to get information about his state. Out of genuine concern...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop View Post
Yes we see the sadness of the NRF when they visit Friso but we also see their dignity. We too often tend to act as if pain of having a loved one in a critical condition or pain to lose a loved one did not exist. Human beings need time to heal their pain - emotional pain - when losing someone. But that is often skipped by our productive way of thinking.
That is why this case is different from a death. When a royal dies we see their family only at the official funeral. They put their game faces on and walk the walk and then it is over until they decide they can handle the exposure.

Now in Friso's case this doesn't happen because for good or ill he is still alive and so the cameras are trained mercilessly on any member of the family who should visit in the hope they can extrapolate some opinion from the way they look. Did they smile? He might be improving. Are they in pain? Perhaps he has taken a turn for the worse.

I defy anyone to say that this unrelenting media circus was and is either right or fair.

Tags
accident, health problems, prince friso, princess mabel, queen beatrix