The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Aristocracy

Such a tragedy for the family. My prayers are with the family and the difficult road facing them.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Courtier

This is horrible news. I feel so sorry for Mabel, the girls, his parents and siblings and the rest of his family.
I wish that he either wakes up and recovers during rehabilitation or that they can let him go, but to hang between life and death must be awful for those who love him

Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Courtier

I had that bad feeling from the beginning and now it is confirmed. this is so awful. my thoughts are with mabel and her daughters and of course the whole royal family.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
The worst case scenario came true - how sad! Everybody did what they could to their abilities, Florian Moosbrugger, the rescue team, the doctors. However in hindsight I'm probably not alone in wondering if it were better had Prince Friso not been resuscitated!

It's sad for him and his family, it's sad for every family with a loved one with severe brain damage. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope for all of them in the research labolatories of hospitals and medical schools throughout the world.
I think there is; there are new discoveries every day and new innovative techniques coming to the forefront of medical industry.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
What do you mean wrong equipment?
Friso did not wear an "airbag", his friend did and he could free himself.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
What do you mean wrong equipment?
He wasn't wearing the wrong equipment as much as the lack of the right equipment. If he had the airbag his companion was wearing, he wouldn't have remained buried. But it's my understanding this is heavy and you must be accustomed to wearing it, which is likely why the prince decided not to do so.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

HM Queen Beatrix knew this terrible news since the beginning. When I saw her going for the first time seeing her Son all was written on her face. This strong women with her faultless hairdo was just a Mother suffering because she knew her son will never be as before. She already saw her husband the late Prince Claus loosing his health day after day but she was prepared but here it was an accident.
I read once «* The King said Sail , but the Wind said No*»
I dont’ know what will happen the following days She has to go to Her Netherlands and then will wait again in a hotel with such a lot of happy family and holiday remembering.
The Dutch RF is an example for everybody.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy

There is life, and there is death, and right now Prince Friso has neither. How difficult for his family! I feel so sad for the Queen, Mabel, the entire family, and the whole nation.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Aristocracy

I was afraid this was going to be the outcome. I'm so, so sorry that it is. How tragic.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
Maybe someone with medical knowledge can answer this. Why, when they are fully aware of the devastating effects of lack of oxygen to the brain for prolonged periods, did the medical staff at the hospital spend so long in resuscitation(sp?) attempts.

Difficult to answer:

1. He was burried approx. 25 min. Sometime during these 25 min. he ran out of oxygen (probably very soon) and later on his heart stopped. Hard to say when exactly that happened.

Most probably the rescue team started resuscitation immediately. That means they established circulation which supplied oxygen to his organs (and brain) again.

They needed CPR for 50 min. until his heart started beating again. That doesn't mean he was deprived of oxygen during all that time.

People who have a body temperature below normal have a better chance to come out of a situation like this. So the saying goes: Nobody is dead until he is warm and dead.

Transportation during CPR is difficult.

2. Brain cells who lack oxygen take in water which makes them grow. The expansion of the cells leads to damage. (Oedema)

The whole brain expands but is limited by the skull so there is additional damage through pressure.

Life support might only be necessary when there also is a damage of the brain stem (respiratory centre etc.)

3. Prognosis with brain damage is extremely difficult and only time can tell. Nobody would have been able to tell relatives about the outcome during the first days.

4. Damage by a gunshot wound can also lead to oedema but that's mainly restriced to a local area.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
Prominent or not as a doctor you never give up on any patient!! You took an oath! If there is a slim chance of survival on any patient you do yor best to make sure they survive and get to see their families again.

I know that what I am about to say, will probably result in my post being removed, but what you said about the 'prominent' patient is just a horrible thing to say. An inquest on the death of any person can result in litigation if the judge decides that the doctor did not do the best in their power to save the patient. Just because Johan Friso is a prince does not mean that he should get a different treatment than any other person in the same condition.
Well, 50 minutes is a very, very long time trying to reanimate a patient. And what do you mean by give up on a patient? When the rescue team or doctor stops as they do in a normal case, they don't "give up on" the patient, they just believe there is no more hope. But of course you can try even without much hope, even if you know that chances are slim. In some cases it works -but only rarely this means a miracle. Instead you often revive a body, but not the brain....
Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
It is irreversible,beyond repair,recovery.No chance on ever regaining his former self in any which way,sorry.

News bulletin:

Home - Het Koninklijk Huis
Thanks, Lucien.

Then let him find peace, and let his family find peace.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Courtier

I read that he may not wake up. I hope that isn't the case. My prayers are with the family at this time.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wish they all wake up and the whole situation was "only" a nightmare. But I know that this won't take place.

This is all so bad, so unfair, so hard. A man in the best ages is unable to live a life, a mother in permanent sorrow of her son, a wife who must learn that her husband won't put his arms around her, two daughters who never will be spoilt by their father.

I am sure that Prince Claus would not want to have his second son now around him (I now this is very theatralic).

May god have his hands above Friso, Mabel, Beatrix, his daughters and the rest of the family.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Terrible news and the worst situation to be in.

I hope that nature will decide (that he either wakes up and has rehabilitation or his body succumbs quickly and he dies) and this heavy burden is not being placed on his family (in case he stays in coma and is kept alive by machines only).

My heart goes out to the DRF, who are so close, natural and fun-loving. Their lives will be changed forever.
His brains are so dammaged that there is no rehabilitation possible.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Commoner

Prince Friso and resuscitation

Don't know what the usual European practice is, but here in the States, if a patient who has a head injury is otherwise in good health and relatively young, the emergency team -- be it doctors in a hospital or rescue personnel at an accident site -- are VERY reluctant to give up on a patient. They will keep trying for quite a long time. I used to work in a law firm representing people injured in accidents, and we had cases where the ER docs worked for several hours to resuscitate someone.

It's also, very often, not that clear-cut that someone is totally beyond resuscitation. There may be flickers of a heartbeat or respiration, and if that happens, of course the doctors are going to keep trying. It's also hard to know, when you start treatment on an accident victim, exactly how extensive the injuries are.

Also, doctors really, really hate having to tell any family, no matter what their social standing, "hey, we are sorry but we had to give up on your loved one." For their own peace of mind, they need to be able to say, and feel, that they did everything they could.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Nobility

This prognosis is, to me, even worse than had he died last Friday. His poor mother must be in Hell. His wife too ofcourse, but NO mother should experience this. To see such pain on the Queen's face, just breaks my heart. I think this could very well be a reason for her to withdraw from the throne.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

This makes me feel very fortunate to be able to get up every morning, put my feet on the floor and face another day in my so-called routine life, and to thank the Lord that I got through it safely. This situation for the DRF is truly devastating and just horrifying beyond words.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
I think there is; there are new discoveries every day and new innovative techniques coming to the forefront of medical industry.
Unfortunately when it comes to brain damage there are slim to no chances that new discoveries in the medical field will make it possible to recreate the memories (and in essence who a person is) when the cells in the brain where those memories are stored are destroyed. The body may go on living, but what makes a person unique is gone and lost.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Commoner

This is horrible news. My thoughts go to Mabel, the girls, Queen Beatrix, the brothers with families, other family and relatives and friends. It must be a difficult time for everyone. I feel so sorry for both Prince Friso and the entire family. Let them be in peace and give them all the time they need. I wish that everything could be different. But I know the Duch royalties supports each other very well and both the Queen, W-A & Maxima with girls, Constantin and Laurentien with children, the rest of the family and Mabel's family will give Mabel, Luana and Zaria the best support they need.

Tags
accident, health problems, prince friso, princess mabel, queen beatrix