Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, unfortunately Friso decided not to wear one.

And even if he had been wearing one that wouldn't be a guarantee against injury or death. The airbags, etc are tools to help in the event of an avalanche, but they aren't 100% fail safe. Of course, with one, the odds would have been MUCH more in his favor. We live close to ski areas in CO, and the very weekend this happened there was an article in our paper about experienced skiers skiing in out of bounds areas and the risks they are taking even with these devices.

Last edited:
No, nothing is ever a guarantee or safeguard no matter how well-equipped you feel you are in a situation. One always hopes the chances of survival increase when you do wear such equipment, though, but it shouldn't give any skier in the general sense a feeling of infallibility when they do go out prepared.

Last edited:
How old are Mabel and Friso's little girls?

Mom asked me last night when I called home, as a friend of ours was asking if I knew anything about what had happened. In our area, if anything Royal makes the news... Anyway, I didn't know, but thought the girls are under the age of four. Regardless, so young for this to happen.

She was going to pray for them during the period of our Church service where it's time to silently ask for help for anyone you would like to. The Dutch RF can certainly use all the Prayers they can get. :eek:(

These days I also think a lot about Prince Kardam of Turnovo.
Although he had a different kind of accident, the outcome is much the same of that of Prince Friso.
They are both in a coma. I still hope, perhaps against hope, for a positive outcome for Prince Friso...
I have a feeling that the Royal Family will wait and see for the next couple of weeks and consult various doctors but that they won't let this situation continue for years to come. I think they will be realistic and what Friso would want in this situation will be in the forefront of their heads.

Skiing is a very dangerous sport and Friso is one of many people who have died or been injured and won't be the last. (Natasha Richardson, Liam Neeson's wife as an example) He obviously knew the risks very well but decided to go without an airbag. Stupid, but that's always later, no?
Case is now to make the best decision possible. Life will either way never return to normal. Even if a 'miracle' happens.

And I believe the oldest is either 5 or 7.

Most people do not wear the air bags to ski. They are heavy and bulky and really not that common.
The off poste slope he skied on had been dynamited 9 times that morning in an attempt to cause an avalanche with no result. Although rated a 4 of 5 it was still considered safe for skiing, certainly no one was barred or warned not to ski there by the resort or ski patrols. There was risk certainly, but there is risk in almost all sports and human activity (try walking across a street).

Lucien, as always I have the feeling you are well placed in your home country to have a good basis of information and I really want to thank you for sharing that with us. :flowers:

But - what you say is so, so bad. Yes, I guess the most fortunate solution might be that the Lord or Nature or whatever High and Mighty takes away the decision making for the poor family.

Let's pray they won't have to go to that point of absolute emotional nakedness when one realises that we are not longer living in paradies, being eternals but are just a bunch of mortals who have to make terrible decisions forever and ever. May the Lord spare them, especially Mabel.

No dear Kataryn,it is not bad.What is bad?His present state of vegetation,that is inhuman.So yes,as awfull and sad as it is,I do hope his Maker will call him home,soon.This is no life,it is only uncertainty.And to be very frank: It was Insane in the first place to have that overzealous over 50 minutes resuscitation in the first place.Emotionally yes,I do understand,but really,it doesn't,and it didn't,make any sense.One useally stops at about say 20 minutes,never longer and if there isn't any sign of life then,then it won't be so ever.This,this is of a inhumanly deep tragedy to all involved,Friso most,only suffer,while those with full awareness,his beloved ones,suffer incredible cruel times no-one wishes for anyone to be in.I am sorry,and I am not,but this is my stance.What happened is that his wife and mother were kept to believing,given hope,and then disaster blew in for the 2nd time within a week,but more intense,no return to good old days,no return to a loving Friso and his beautifull three girls,no more chats and affection between Friso and His Mother,his siblings,anyone he ever cared for.There is just this ordeal,that lasts as long as it does,and no-body knows how long that will be.I am very very sorry indeed,realy really am.But safe this man from this ordeal,and in doing so,safe his beloved family from it too.It is too cruel.

Maybe another thread concerning the present state and ongoing moments can be put in instead of this,initial,thread on Prince Friso's ordeal.Too many if and buts here still.Let it be.Nothing will change soon.And ongoing discussions on what might be possible under Dutch law or not do not really fit in this initial thread,and besides that,the law is very strict,very,it is not as easy as one two three,the more so as the Prince isn't known to have that arranged for as thousands of fellow compatriots have.Whatever is the case elsewhere,it is not here so it doesn't make much sense to keep repeating all the same over and over,sorry,but that doesn;t make any sense at all.We have our laws and possibilities and act accordingly if need be in due time.NOT that there is any mentioning or anything going on in that frame at present at all,there is not.

I truly deeply hope for Friso to be called home to His Maker.And I burn a candle for him and all his family to guide them through these most awfull of times.

Last edited:
No dear Kataryn,it is not bad.What is bad?His present state of vegetation,that is inhuman.So yes,as awfull and sad as it is,I do hope his Maker will call him home,soon.This is no life,it is only uncertainty.

Just a few thoughts to add to this discussion. It is my understanding that Friso is currently in a coma and it has never been stated anywhere that he is either brain dead or in a permanent vegetative state. The MRI that was taken did show that there was severe brain damage. I'd like to refer to the article posted on the portal page of TRF here:

UPDATE 24/02/12 at 07:15: A press conference with the head of trauma and intensive care at the hospital in Innsbruck has just taken place. The doctors gave some details on the Prince’s condition, and their prognosis:

• The Prince was under the snow for 25 minutes.
  • CPR was performed on the Prince for 50 minutes to resuscitate him.
  • A MRI was performed yesterday on the Prince, which indicated that the Prince had suffered severe brain damage from a lack of oxygen.
  • The doctors cannot guarantee that the Prince will awaken from his coma, or give a timeframe as to when this could be expected. If he does wake up, his rehabilitation will take months or years.
  • The Prince’s immediate family are currently looking in to suitable clinics for him.
The part "If he does wake up, his rehabilitation will take months or years." I would think would be a glimmer of hope for all of us rather than thinking that all is lost and hopeless. We have absolutely no knowledge even of what parts of the brain were damaged and how they would affect Friso should he awaken. I am not a medical expert by any means but I know I've heard of people with brain damage that, with rehabilitation, were able to "reprogram" the brain and live happy lives.

Its the waiting that is the biggest suffering for the family but I am sure that the doctors in attendance know what they are talking about and are completely honest and open with the family of the road ahead. One thing I would bet my last donut on is that his loved ones haven't given up hope. We should follow their example.

Just my two cents worth.

anele14 said:
more photos ????

Why? Photos at such a horrible time are not needed. This family should be left alone now.

Prince Friso's companion was in training for avalanche rescue work, and had been working with the heavy equipment. Prince Friso chose not to wear the heavy equipment (which changes the way one skis and takes practice to get used to). People go outside piste every day all over the world, and without those bags.

Hindsight is 20/20.

The news is not good, and again, all we can do is continue to send loving energy toward the family and the prince. It is a very serious situation, but as there is now more information, perhaps the family's stress has eased. Waiting for news (good or bad) is a terrible situation.

There are media reports about a mishap during the re-animation of Friso in the helicopter - the battery went flat because of the cold and had to be recharged while manual heart massage continuted the attempts to bring him back to life.
Prinz Friso: Panne im Rettungs-Heli?

Other articles
DutchNews.nl - Prince Friso unlikely to be cared for in the Netherlands
Prince Friso, a ski accident and the terrible trauma facing the Dutch royal family - Europe, World News - Independent.ie

duke, please stop quoting papers like oe24 - they are quoting bild.de and sorry, but that is all beyond deceny. just don´t give them the feeling of doing right by not looking at these pages.

It is such a tragic and "stupid" event! I mean he did not catch a cancer or another sickness! It happened while skiing, and he has been skiing since his childhood!
The Dutch RF looked so happy, so united.
Everything was said! Nothing more to say. I still wish the best to him, whatever God decides that is this best.

Last edited:
There are media reports about a mishap during the re-animation of Friso in the helicopter - the battery went flat because of the cold and had to be recharged while manual heart massage continuted the attempts to bring him back to life.
Prinz Friso: Panne im Rettungs-Heli?

Other articles
DutchNews.nl - Prince Friso unlikely to be cared for in the Netherlands
Prince Friso, a ski accident and the terrible trauma facing the Dutch royal family - Europe, World News - Independent.ie

Thank you, Your Grace. I just wanted to post as well about the abundance of vulturism that is shown on a Google News search in either Germany or Austria about the prince.

It is terrible and the article about the problem at the helicopter is just the beginning... Much worse and really unpleasant speculation about the prince's future...

BTW - does it really matter if they used mechanical or manual reanimation when it finally worked to get his heart back to beating?

OTOH I personally would be interested to know if they really could reanimate him so his heart beat on his own or if on (successless) reanimation they used the machinery at the clinic to "stabilize" the prince?
I mean - was he already dead and they used medical machinery to revive the body but couldn't revive the person/spirit -call it what you will...

(While I write this my son's rescue beeper started to beep... as he is away working somebody else has to go out on another rescue mission - please include all rescue workers and the people they day after day after day try to help in your prayers as well).

Only interesting thing for me was that the Arlberg region is still going to promote its image as "off-piste and deep snow paradise" - did anyone think they would change that or even stop talking about that till next season?

It so sad, they say he may never wake up. I really do feel for his dear wife Princess Mabel and little girls, Countess Emma and Countess Joanna, I really do hope he makes it.They are such nice people the Dutch royal family, you just can't believe it's happened to them. It just goes to show how fragile life really is. The whole family is in my preys.

No dear Kataryn,it is not bad.What is bad?His present state of vegetation,that is inhuman.So yes,as awfull and sad as it is,I do hope his Maker will call him home,soon.This is no life,it is only uncertainty.And to be very frank: It was Insane in the first place to have that overzealous over 50 minutes resuscitation in the first place.Emotionally yes,I do understand,but really,it doesn't,and it didn't,make any sense.One useally stops at about say 20 minutes,never longer and if there isn't any sign of life then,then it won't be so ever.This,this is of a inhumanly deep tragedy to all involved,Friso most,only suffer,while those with full awareness,his beloved ones,suffer incredible cruel times no-one wishes for anyone to be in.I am sorry,and I am not,but this is my stance.What happened is that his wife and mother were kept to believing,given hope,and then disaster blew in for the 2nd time within a week,but more intense,no return to good old days,no return to a loving Friso and his beautifull three girls,no more chats and affection between Friso and His Mother,his siblings,anyone he ever cared for.There is just this ordeal,that lasts as long as it does,and no-body knows how long that will be.I am very very sorry indeed,realy really am.But safe this man from this ordeal,and in doing so,safe his beloved family from it too.It is too cruel.

Maybe another thread concerning the present state and ongoing moments can be put in instead of this,initial,thread on Prince Friso's ordeal.Too many if and buts here still.Let it be.Nothing will change soon.And ongoing discussions on what might be possible under Dutch law or not do not really fit in this initial thread,and besides that,the law is very strict,very,it is not as easy as one two three,the more so as the Prince isn't known to have that arranged for as thousands of fellow compatriots have.Whatever is the case elsewhere,it is not here so it doesn't make much sense to keep repeating all the same over and over,sorry,but that doesn;t make any sense at all.We have our laws and possibilities and act accordingly if need be in due time.NOT that there is any mentioning or anything going on in that frame at present at all,there is not.

I truly deeply hope for Friso to be called home to His Maker.And I burn a candle for him and all his family to guide them through these most awfull of times.

What a strange post I must say. So you'll burn a candle (?) for him in order to see him dead? Do you know if Prince Friso is in extreme OR intractable pain? I am sure you don't. Did someone tell you that Friso has reached the point at which his body can no longer support life? You don't. So this kind of futile or "loving" wishes for his "end" should never exist.

Is he terminally ill? No, Friso is brain damaged and is in coma. All of his other bodily functions are essentially normal, so praise the Lord (the Maker, as you called Him) because this human being still have chances to get better.

I am glad Prince Friso is still alive. IMO every moment of the Prince's life is intrinsically valuable and his life itself is never futile. Never. Yes, maybe many here won't post again about Friso' current royal events... it doesnt mean he is not valuable anymore.

Trully sad when so Many here decided that Friso is useless. My words are "cruel", right? Then again, we must ask ourselves when we view images of cognitively impaired patients, whether the pain that we feel is for the patient (or the family's) or whether it is our own... It is our own thoughts of the horror of a life without cognition that leads us to project that pain onto Friso who may not be suffering at all.

I'm struly sorry for all this, and I'm praying for the prince and his family, so may God's will be done.

I wonder if we are going to get more info unless something marvellous or horrible happens of course. Such a pity because we CARE for them !

What a strange post I must say. So you'll burn a candle (?) for him in order to see him dead? Do you know if Prince Friso is in extreme OR intractable pain? I am sure you don't. Did someone tell you that Friso has reached the point at which his body can no longer support life? You don't. So this kind of futile or "loving" wishes for his "end" should never exist.....

It sure isn't an easy subject.

(Corrected) Prince Friso is deeply unconscious and helpless. It's not very likely he will ever wake up, let alone recover just reasonably well.
These are the facts that I form my opinion from.

I hope he will find peace, one way or another.
Miracles do happen, the odds are very much against that. He may even be able to live a reasonable meaningful life, the odds are even higher against that.
Science continue to make progress and who knows, the doctors may be able to help at some point. - In 20 years from now? 30 years? 40?
In the meantime he is lying there. Undead. - I'm aware of the connotations, but how else to describe the state he is in.

Just as important to me are the considerations to his family.
What hurts more? That Friso dies now and visiting his grave in the decades to come? Or to visit him in a clinic year after year, decade after decade?
How old is his wife? About 40 or so? She's still reasonably young. - At some point she should get on with her life. At some point she's likely to meet another man and find love again. Should she then divorce Prince Friso, who is lying in the clinic? When can she allow herself to divorce Prince Friso or even allow herself to live openly with a new man in her life?

Then there are his children. If he wakes up in say 25 years from now (pending miracles) and is able to interact with the world around him. He will be a stranger to them. A man they remember from their early childhood and someone they visited a couple of times a week, but not a father-figure. That role will have been filled by someone else, a relative or a friend of the family. He will have to get to know his children all over again and it won't be the same.

There are times when I believe it's more merciful to let people die, perhaps not so much for the person in a coma, (they are hopefully not suffering) but more so for those dear to him.

Last edited:
To Muhler ,
We will never know he exact issue of this tragic Event, this is private.

I feel so sorry for the Dutch Royals which life will be for always changed. Living or not they lost Prince Friso for ever.

To Muhler ,
We will never know he exact issue of this tragic Event, this is private.

I feel so sorry for the Dutch Royals which life will be for always changed. Living or not they lost Prince Friso for ever.

No, we don't.

We can only form an opinion based on what we know and how we feel ourselves. - And hope we will never end in up in a similar situation as Prince Friso's family ourselves.

As I understand it Friso has an irreversably braindamage. He is in a state of deep coma from which, he is likely to never wake up from and even if he did....
He is held alive by machines.
These are the facts that I form my opinion from.

The statement released by the doctors told us that the MRI shows that he has severe brain damage and no where was it ever mentioned that he was on life support. They are unsure at this point if he will ever wake up from the coma but did state that if he did, rehabilitation could take months and even years. It all depends on which parts of the brain are damaged as to how it would affect him I imagine.

We simply do not know what the outcome will be nor do the doctors. Right now it looks like the family is seeking out a rehabilitation clinic to move him to which most likely specializes in these kinds of injuries.

And hope we will never end in up in a similar situation as Prince Friso's family ourselves.

That it why is so important to think about such a situation. With the advancement of medical possibilities, it is possible to help the body survive even under such conditions.

I find I'm at the moment not well enough informed about what medicine can do at present and where it will go from here.But I feel I need to know more to be able to form my own opinion about what I one day want to have done with me or not.

I tried to find more information and on reading found myself at once in a war between modern machinery medicine, life-protectors, activists for the right to choose. anti- and pro-organ donorship.... Uugh...

So that's not where the answer can lie, so many possibilities, so many opinions and no one knows what the people responsible then if such a situation comes up will think, ask, do.

Where do I stand in all this? I can only form my opinion now and be okay with the idea that in another situation I might think differently, but that's all.

It helps if you believe in rebirth or that there is something else after death, I believe. But still, it's a decision that should be made by me and then my nearest and dearest should feel they act according to I would want - and most of all I would want to spare them (and me) any such situation! I personally always would prefer a fast death and done with me. But then I have to say I am curious: what's next, then?

The statement released by the doctors told us that the MRI shows that he has severe brain damage and no where was it ever mentioned that he was on life support. They are unsure at this point if he will ever wake up from the coma but did state that if he did, rehabilitation could take months and even years. It all depends on which parts of the brain are damaged as to how it would affect him I imagine.

We simply do not know what the outcome will be nor do the doctors. Right now it looks like the family is seeking out a rehabilitation clinic to move him to which most likely specializes in these kinds of injuries.

You are right.
I don't know why I was thinking he was still in a coma.
Whatever, he is deeply uncounscious and will very likely never to wake up.
He is in a state where he is completly helpless.
Whether he is supported by machines or "just" dependent on nurses, really doesn't make that much difference to me, if he is likely never to wake up, let alone recover.

(I'll correct a couple of, ahem, minor details in my previous post).

What I understood from the neurologist-intensivist Kuiper who gave explication at the press-conference the prince is on life support at the IC.
He suggested last Fryday that the prince if he could breath on his own could soon leave the IC.
This morning, monday the prince was still at the IC (this according to Austrian news)

Source: de Telegraaf Dossier prins Friso

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom