The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnel View Post
The prince can take his children anywhere he wants. But, he should know that if he's going to take them to the spot where the media are following one of the biggest stories around the royal family in decades, the entire family will be under constant press scrutiny.

If he wants to shield the children from that, he shouldn't bring them into the media circus.

He can control the children; he can't control the media.
So because the paparazzi are such vultures he should send all the children away? You have got to be joking. Taking them to the spot where media are following . . . . excuse me, this is not all about the rights of the media, it is not even about Prince WA "knowing better". It is about family!

The family are where they are because of tragic personal circumstances and like most families, when the going gets tough the family get together to support each other and to protect each other. In families this works both ways. The adults protect the children and try to maintain as much normality as they can. The children provide their parents and extended family with joy, and a belief in the future. They are balm to the lacerated spirits of the adults who understand the severity of the situation.

Are the children of the NRF not entitled to be with their family in such dire circumstances? Are they to be kept out of sight, perhaps even shunted off home without their parents, knowing that a loved parent or uncle could yet die, maybe sent back to school which I am sure the media would stake out with impunity.

So, it is the media that is intruding on a family's pain, grief and distress. Just because Friso is a Prince does not negate common decency with respect to his family.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Aristocracy

More details:

It was announced by RVD (the Dutch government information service) that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands will extend her stay in Lech, Austria to remain by His Royal Highness Prince Johan Friso of Oranje-Nassau’s side. As you know by now, the Prince is in a coma at Innsbruck University Hospital.
As a result of the Queen’s extended stay she has cancelled all of her official appointments for next week. RVD also announced that His Royal Highness Crown Prince Willem-Alexander of Oranje will represent Her Majesty during the “…70th anniversary commemoration of the Battle in the Java Sea…” on February 27, 2012. Afterward, the heir to the Dutch throne will return to Lech, Austria to be with the rest of the royal family.

Source: Radio Netherlands via RVD via The Royal Correspondent

Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I think her schedule is a bit up in the air until there is some resolution regarding her son. She is returning to The Netherlands this weekend, along with the Prince of Orange, to take on engagements early in the week before returning to Austria. I doubt very much if her long terms schedule is known given the present situation. She doesnt like to cancel engagements and I suppose could commute in the short term as needed but I don't think that could continue indefinitely.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Today is the end of the week, so I do hope that there is some news later today that the Dr's or family can say.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Today is the end of the week, so I do hope that there is some news later today that the Dr's or family can say.
Information on the condition of Prince Friso will be given today at 12 o'clock.

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/nieuws/...uari-2012-828/
NOS Nieuws - Vanmiddag mededelingen Friso

There will be a live broadcast
http://nos.nl/nieuws/live/journaal24/
Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Courtier

What a torture for the family. A week of waiting and hoping before the eyes of the world with the pressure of the press. I hope so much that we hear some positive promising words at 12 today.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Royal Highness

I hope so too. I can't even begin to imagine what a terrible week it must have been for Frisco's wife, mother and the rest of the family. I hope so much to hear positive news about him in few hours.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Courtier

I was just in the Swedish forum to get to know the name of the little new born princess with happy excitement. And now I turned to this site with hope for good news.

What a strange day in the royal world....
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The press conference is about to start. They say that HM, Princess Mabel, the prince of Orange and prince Constantijn are on their way to the hospital.

The press conference will be given by the head of the department, Wolfgang Köller; a translator will be sitting next to him.

Added:
- the prince was 25 minutes under the snow
- the prince had a long cpr. the heart stopped, this lasted 50 minutes. during this time the patient was reanimated. This is a very long time, 'one can say too long'.
- yesterday it was for the first time possible to have a neurologic scan without extra danger for the prince. It became clear that the lack of oxygen led to massive damage to the brain of the patient.
- it can not be predicted if and when he will regain conscience. If he does it may take months or years to revalidate.
- the family will look for a suitable clinic for the patient.

End of the press conference. The news couldn't have been worse.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Courtier

So sad news...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Translation please anyone? Those doctors sounded so serious and sad.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Serene Highness

Actually it's rather clear MARG, as a result of the lack of oxygen there was/is brain damage. A certain long-period prognosis is rather nebulous. Since he can't stay in Austrai during this long and difficult path to recory he will be taken elsewhere.
I wish them lots and lots of patience and strength.
My prayers are with them.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Gentry

This is such sad news to hear. He will remain in my thoughts and prayers, as will the rest of his family.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Aristocracy

Heartbreaking...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Courtier

Simply horrible
BYe Bine
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Awful news. So it was actually much worse than we thought previously.

I feel very much for his family and friends.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Courtier

Sad news...shivers down my spine, lump in the throat and tears in my eyes. Feels as if it is a family member of mine. All the best to the DRF especially his wife and children.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Courtier

Horrible, horrible news.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh my, this is really bad. IMHO heart is heavy for the Dutch Royal family. The Prince we all knew, im afraid is forever gone, so sad.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I guess his family, not unlike us, prayed for the best but prepared for the worst. My prayers go to his family as they struggle to cope with the reality of the situation.

We usually think in terms of life or death but as demonstrated by Prince Friso, there is a lot in between. However, it seems clear that the Friso they knew is gone forever whether or not he recovers from his coma. Not an easy situation to come to terms with.

Tags
accident, health problems, prince friso, princess mabel, queen beatrix