Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being buried in an avalanche is like being buried in cement. The snow is rock hard and no air to breath. Miracle that he was pulled out alive after 15 minutes. Let's hope he will be ok.

Horrifying. How terrible for his family. Just awful. Thoughts are with them.

According to the mayor, that slope was deemed safe for skiing. Perhaps still not a wise thing to do geven the conditions. But if an area is cleared as safe....

The actual slopes are said to be safe with an avalanche warning of 4 out of 5, but Johan Friso went off slope into an area that has new and untouched snow. Quite an irresponsible thing to do, let's hope that everything turns out fine. My hopes and prayers are with him and his family.

According to the mayor, that slope was deemed safe for skiing. Perhaps still not a wise thing to do geven the conditions. But if an area is cleared as safe....

I am not sure about the safety-status of the pist, as I know the area rather well, I guess, they shouldn´t have gone there - it was no pist and risk 4 is an absolute no-go. I hope though, he weill be all right within the next hours.

BBC news say he's in a critical but stable condition.

I am not sure about the safety-status of the pist, as I know the area rather well, I guess, they shouldn´t have gone there - it was no pist and risk 4 is an absolute no-go. I hope though, he weill be all right within the next hours.

The RF is absolutely fond of skiing of the beaten track and are known to look for non-official but cleared,pistes.They do that every year,an avalange comes suddenly and can happen everywhere.

Be that as it may,awfull for him,his family,the RF and more even to HM almost,my symphaty goes out especially to her,I don't want her to loose one of her children.
Poor woman,poor RF.

Thanks to the Mod for changing the caption of this thread,thank you.

Announcement of the accident by the RVD on behalve of HM the Queen who is at the side of her son in hospital.:

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/nieuws...rins-friso-opgenomen-in-ziekenhuis-innsbruck/

Last edited:
ohh god!!! please let him stay out of this safely!!! Queen Beatrix, his wife and children must be so worried, cant wait to hear more news about it and hopefully good news.

Thanks to the Mod for changing the caption of this thread,thank you.

I thought it looked too extreme with the original title and changed it that way.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Prince Johan Friso and the family!

A BBC article says he was resuscitated at the scene, so he either fell unconscious whilst buried or just before.

NO!Not true,but the Prince Friso is in a critical condition.So please get that news of the world sort of headline out of here please AnnArd Di.

Thank you in advance.The rest of the group,including HM and the Prince of Orange were not hurt.Allthough not an official piste,it was cleared to ski.

It's awfull enough as it is.

Two day ago I posted the fact that Lech was not longer reachable by car because of avalanches and that by now in that area avalanches even reach prepaired downhill slopes. My question in the Queen Beatrix current events thread was if it wasn't better for the Dutch RF to get a flight out of Lech and return home?

So horrible to hear that in fact something happened to one of the fasmily members!

One seems to have to live in the Alps to know when they are really getting dangerous.... My best wishes to the Dutch RF.

Photo session of Monday is cancelled.

Queen Beatrix and Princess Mabel are with Prince Friso in the hospital.

The press conference is postponed till in about 15 minutes from now...

The Prince does have a fractured skull,more on his condition is difficult to say,it will take a few days more to have a clearer picture on his condition and many more tests are needed.

He is in a coma at present,probably sedated due to his condition and fighting for his life.

My heart and thoughts go out to Him,Princess Mabel and the children Zaria and Luana and ofcourse to Her Majesty.

Last edited:
Prince Johan Friso wore a beeper, enabling the rescuers to locate him so quickly.
The area covered by the avalanche was 30 X 40 metres.

He fell prey to the most common type of avalanches. A wind-avalanche. I.e. unstable snowdrifts formed by the wind.

He was still being resuscitated while on the way to the hospital in the helicopter.

He and his party went to the second highest slopes, where the avalanche warning was at level 4. There they went off-piste.

Last edited:
Is there an online stream?

The NOS and RTL sites have live-updates and there will be live updates on RTL tv all evening.

NOS.nl - Nieuws, Sport en Evenementen op Radio, TV en Internet | Nederlandse Omroep Stichting

RTL.NL

HRH The Prince of Orange and his family as well as TRH Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien are on their way to Lech by government aircraft KBX right now.He and Máxima and the children are still here as the children's school holidays only started today.

The photo-shoot of the entire RF has been canceled

Last edited:
HRH The Prince of Orange is on his way to Lech by government aircraft KBX right now.He and Máxima and the children are still here as the children's school holidays only started today.

I'm sort of surprised the government is allowing WA to travel to Austria. I'm sure he wants to see his brother and support his family, but I would think his advisers would want to keep him safe on the ground in the Netherlands.

It's not like he is going on the slopes to ski kalnel, he's going to visit his brother in the hospital, where it's pretty safe.

Also Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien are with them.

According to reports, Friso is in a coma. I'm generally an optomistic person, but I'm not right now. Hope my vibes are incorrect.

What is very striking tho is the enormous outpoor of sympathy and affection towards the prince,HM and the entire RF at this difficult moment.Truly remarkeble,and not...we always stand with them be it in happy moments,or in grief and despair,but we are all united in hope for recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien are with them.

They're on the KBX flight with WA and Máxima and their families at this very moment yes as the children are just off from school for the winter holidays since today.

Friso ofcourse lives in London with his family and the dutch school holidays do therefore not apply to him and his girls there.

What all are so afraid of is that he was without oxygen for almost ten minutes,and what effect that may have had on his bodily functions...Too awfull to contemplate.

Last edited:
Dear Friso,

stand up and fight for your life. I am sure, your father does not want to see you at his side, he want to see you in the circle of your family with your wife, your daughters, your mother and your brothers. It might be a hard struggle, but isn't it worthy?

With best wishes,

principessa

I'm sort of surprised the government is allowing WA to travel to Austria. I'm sure he wants to see his brother and support his family, but I would think his advisers would want to keep him safe on the ground in the Netherlands.

please, just because there was the skiing accident, austria is save
he will not be skiing today I guess - an even then, if he stays on the slopes nothing will happen. sty on the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom