Prince Friso in Critical Condition Following Skiing Accident: February 17, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only heard this news and my thoughts and prayers are with the Dutch royal family and everyone else involved.

The avalange that hit the Prince and Mr.Moosbrugger was larger then first thought,not 50 but 200 meters wide according to the police investigation.Furthermore the slope was checked that morning and they had tryed to get an avalange going with the use of dynamite,9 times even (!) but nothing moved so it was cleared as safe.The Prince and Mr.Moosbrugger felt completely safe because of it.

A police investigation is customary in these cases,also Mr.Florian Moosbrugger was heard today.He and the Prince are friends ever since they were todlers and he is also the propietor of Gasthof Post.

I feel sorry for Florian Moosbrugger and hope will not feel any guild in this,it wasn't his fault,I hope his loved ones can convince him of that.

I just can't get over the turn of events here; that the area was dynamited 9 times with no avalanche, then one occurs when the prince and his friend are on the trail. What a terrible, unfortunate situation that no one could foresee; the area was tested for danger, after all, and they thought they were safe. You just can't predict what can happen, even when you think you're prepared for any situation.

Kalnel,thank you,I know full well what it is.Ok,for the love of translation errors lets call it medical induced M.

Just for the love of accuracy. :flowers: Being sedated would imply he has a much less serious condition than being kept in a coma.

On top of being in an induced coma he is probably also being kept somewhat artificially cold and will be warmed up gradually so that all his organs and brain tissue don't suffer from a rapid transition in temperature.There is a protocol to do this and it takes time.

Dear people,

Some videos from Dutch television:

The moment Dutch press heard about the accident, our prime minister was giving his weekly conference. Media asked him about the accident. He answered the only thing he knew was that our Queen was still okay.

NOS Nieuws - Rutte: het betreft niet de koningin

Princess Mabel and her sister leave the hospital

NOS Nieuws - Mabel vertrekt bij ziekenhuis

Queen Beatrix and Princess Mabel visit Friso on the intensive care

NOS Nieuws - Koningin Beatrix en prinses Mabel aangekomen in Innsbruck

This may be a translation issue, but a medically induced coma is quite different from sedation. In a medically induced coma, doctors use drugs to slow brain metabolism in order to avoid brain damage and give the body a chance to rest.

Sedation is when a person is anesthetized to the point that they may not feel pain and/or may go into a deep sleep.

I believe there are a lot of other technical differences, too.
Thanks for the explanation of the two different types of procedures. Here is the link to the website of American Society of Anesthesiologist Induced Coma vs Anesthesia

Has there been any official word whether he is in coma or sedated?

I hope he feels better soon.

Thanks for the explanation of the two different types of procedures. Here is the link to the website of American Society of Anesthesiologist Induced Coma vs Anesthesia

Has there been any official word whether he is in coma or sedated?
Medically induced coma seems most likely given his accident and comments made that a prognosis likely won't be possible until the end of the week.

I just saw the video of Mabel and her sister going out of the hospital. Her face is less edgy, less tense with pain and anxiety. The face is an open book and can be very expressive. Maybe we can see a hope for improvement, a briefing with doctors that suggest a positive outcome.

Although the official diagnosis will be published in the weekend, We can be pretty sure doctors make daily reports to the family that can be kept private as it is not yet won.

The smile Mabel gave to her daughter yesterday was already revealing. She could have made a hand signal, but it was a true spontaneous smile. I really want to see a positive sign. Willem seems equally to be less tensed.

The time for questions and criticisms will come much later. The time does not lend itself.

On top of being in an induced coma he is probably also being kept somewhat artificially cold and will be warmed up gradually so that all his organs and brain tissue don't suffer from a rapid transition in temperature.There is a protocol to do this and it takes time.

True,they kept him cool at first and are warming him up gradually.That is correct.

To those that missed this bit,the Princes body temp was down to 32 celsius when he was found.

Lucien, thank you very much for keeping us updated.:flowers:

What (little, little) luck in all this sadness that it happened at the beginning of the family holiday, so that the whole family can be together in this. One cannot imagine how HM could have visited her son so often if she was on work in The Hague.

As a doctor, I have every confidence he is being treated by the best in the world and no doubt many outside consultations are taking place. All that has been said on this thread is very correct; his situation is very grave indeed and we will have no idea of anything until more time passes and information is released. His accident, happening in such extreme cold, is a plus, and we can only hope (and pray) that there are other positive indications we know nothing of - at this time. My immediate reaction to this terrible accident was dismal, but I must admit my hope has increased since Saturday.

As a doctor, I have every confidence he is being treated by the best in the world and no doubt many outside consultations are taking place. All that has been said on this thread is very correct; his situation is very grave indeed and we will have no idea of anything until more time passes and information is released. His accident, happening in such extreme cold, is a plus, and we can only hope (and pray) that there are other positive indications we know nothing of - at this time. My immediate reaction to this terrible accident was dismal, but I must admit my hope has increased since Saturday.

Thank you for trying to lift our spirits up a bit.But my hope didn't increase since saturday.Sadly enough,and there is no reason for that too until quite some time,if ever.In Friso's case it will be a sheer miracle if,and to what extend,he regains consciousness.I really couldn't wake up to a sadder explanation then this as it reflects the present condition.Sorry.

Yesterday the Prince of Orange had a little incident with the press as they again,came to close to the children and he said;"Don't you have any decency at all ? "..There had been a request on sunday to not photograph the children anymore,some of the pulp boys didn't think much in doing excatly that,so the Prince was furious.In what normally is a relaxed family holiday,due to the accident there is a barrage of press at the door of the Hotel Post.So each and every time one goes in and out flashlights almost blind you.The senior members of the RF accept even that to an extend,but not ofcourse when HM grandchildren are involved.

Last edited:
The entire interview of ORF with Kristl Moosbrugger:

Königin zeigt "wahre menschliche Größe" - Vorarlberg heute

----

I must say tht Mr. Tulleken's arrogance is more nausiating ('we kenden de familie een beetje' - please pass me the bucket!) than I thought. Indeed one of those doctors who think that he is god himself! Tulleken had an interview with Pauw & Witteman yesterday. Of course Tulleken knows that there is very little action that can be done against him, it was the Austrian doctor who violated his hippocrtic oath, not Tulleken (the prince wasn't his patient). He says that he was called by the RVD on saturday already. He blames the RVD for not doing their job in informing people, and he took it upon him to do that for them (and for the family).
Pauw & Witteman: ma 20 feb 2012, 23:00 - Uitzending Gemist

-------------

Apparently the crownprince was getting irritated with an AP journalist:
Kroonprins botst met AP-journalist: Heb je dan geen enkel respect? - Prins Johan Friso bedolven onder lawine - VK
In 'Wakker Nederland' the reporter says that it is mainly the foreign and esp. the AP press who are the most intruisive.

Last edited:
The entire interview of ORF with Kristl Moosbrugger:

Königin zeigt "wahre menschliche Größe" - Vorarlberg heute

----

I must say tht Mr. Tulleken's arrogance is more nausiating than I thought. Indeed one of those doctors who think that they are god himself! He had an interview with Pauw & Witteman yesterday. Of course Tulleken knows that there is very little action that can be done against him, it was the Austrian doctor who violated his hippocrtic oath, not Tulleken (the prince wasn't his patient). He says that he was called by the RVD on saturday already. He blames the RVD for not doing their job in informing people, and he took it upon him to do that for them (and for the family).
Pauw & Witteman: ma 20 feb 2012, 23:00 - Uitzending Gemist

Pffhoei..you say it,awfull guy!!!He has to answer his conduct as he is summoned to see the Inspector General of the Ministry of Health for flagrant breach of confidential information on a patient.

His conduct is condemmed by all in the "hospital business,and all layers within",he is practically ousted as he absolutely went beyond what is done.If he thought the Austrian doctor violated the Oath,then he should have told him that!But no...he and that dumb creature he's married to stayed and tought they'd concur the world with the skoop of skoops leaving not only everybody fooled but also in disbelief of their actions.

He will have to face the consequences.He will,for starters,be looked upon by his collegues as a paria,because that is how they deem him.Good!

Lucien, thank you very much for keeping us updated.:flowers:

What (little, little) luck in all this sadness that it happened at the beginning of the family holiday, so that the whole family can be together in this. One cannot imagine how HM could have visited her son so often if she was on work in The Hague.

That is something else as of next week the holidays are over and there's a full agenda waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have not seen any pictures of Princess Laurentien or her husband are they in Lech as well

This morning Princess Mabel and HM visited the prince. They entered through the main entrance, according to royalblog.

picture: http://gpdhome.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c648253ef016762b9afa6970b-pi
clip: NOS Nieuws - Koningin Beatrix en prinses Mabel bezoeken Friso

--

Eveline Wisse-Smit is supposed to have gotten married last year and now seems to be pregnant. She is the assistent director of Artis, the Amsterdam zoo.

---
Rob Zavelberg, correspondent for the Telegraaf, said on Radio 2 that the Austrian police put Florian Moosbrugger in a 'state of accusement' for neglegence with grave consequences. Police research will show if he can be held responsible for causing the avelanche. I assume that if the prince wakes up he will be accused of the same offence.

Last edited:
It is great that the authorities try to identify people responsible for avalanche. However, plebeians bear the full brunt of law, while the others get a slap on wrist.

Last edited:
This morning Princess Mabel and HM visited the prince. They entered through the main entrance, according to royalblog.

picture: http://gpdhome.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c648253ef016762b9afa6970b-pi
clip: NOS Nieuws - Koningin Beatrix en prinses Mabel bezoeken Friso

--

Eveline Wisse-Smit is supposed to have gotten married last year. She is the assistent director of Artis, the Amsterdam zoo.

---
Rob Zavelberg, correspondent for the Telegraaf, said on Radio 2 that the Austrian police put Florian Moosbrugger in a 'state of accusement' for neglegence with grave consequences. Police research will show if he can be held responsible for causing the avelanche. I assume that if the prince wakes up he will be accused of the same offence.

Telegraaf....They should accuse the snow from falling Marengo......nah,leave it to them to invent something out of nothing.....

Ofcourse,they dynamited the slope 9 times that morning and nothing happened,it was then cleared and deemed safe until Friso and Florian popped-up said boe...et voila...an avalange...Really too far fetched to put it very mild...as is your remark al bina

But there is ofcourse an investigation as always is the case after avalanges in which people fall victim one way or the other,it is NOT as if Florian Moosbrugger is a criminal or even suspected in any which way.It is a normal procedure.

Last edited:
I'm following the news concerning Friso since days. So very, very sad. I hope for a miracle - that he will wake up in a few days and that he will fully recover, without any permanent injuries. :lucky: His wife, his two little daughters and his mother need him.

Last edited:
I agree. Now is not the time for criticism. The Prince has skied in this area for years, without incident. Hopefully he will be skiing again next winter.

The Dutch Royal family is probably not use to being in the middle of a media circus - they doe not generate the same media spotlight as William, Catherine or Diana.

There is already some good from the Prince's accident and the recent deaths in the US from avalanches. It has focused attention on new safety equipment.

I have always admired Friso and Mabel. I've got candles burning and prayers going up to the Heavens.

I have not seen a single report in any U.S. media outlet. I'm not surprised, but you'd think as a member of the Royal Family, there would be one line somewhere. If anyone has seen a mention in the U.S. let me know. Thx.

I have always admired Friso and Mabel. I've got candles burning and prayers going up to the Heavens.

I have not seen a single report in any U.S. media outlet. I'm not surprised, but you'd think as a member of the Royal Family, there would be one line somewhere. If anyone has seen a mention in the U.S. let me know. Thx.

Here are just a few of the many reports appearing in US media.

Dutch Prince Friso
Prince Friso, Dutch Queen's Son, Life Remains In Danger After Skiing Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom