Princess Mabel and 'The Elders' and 'Girls Not Brides'

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marilyne

Aristocracy
City
amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
News Summary Royalblog.nl: Princess Mabel takes job with 'The Elders'

Princess Mabel will serve as the first Chief Executive of The Elders,Desmond Tutu, Chair of the Elders, announced on Wednesday. She will oversee the day-to-day operations for the Elders, a group of eminent individuals convened by Nelson Mandela to use their wisdom, independent leadership and experience to tackle some of the world’s toughest problems.

Desmond Tutu, Chair of the Elders, today announced that Mrs. Mabel van Oranje will serve as the group’s first Chief Executive Officer. She will oversee the day-to-day operations for the Elders, a group of eminent individuals convened by Nelson Mandela to use their wisdom, independent leadership and experience to tackle some of the world’s toughest problems.

“My fellow Elders and I are delighted to have found such an accomplished and dynamic individual to steer the operations of our group,” said Tutu, “Mabel brings a strong background of work on some of the most challenging issues and a global perspective to this position, and I believe she will be instrumental in helping the Elders fulfill our mission.”

Van Oranje, who assumes the position on July 1 and will be based in London, currently serves as the international advocacy director of the Open Society Institute, which is part of the Soros Foundations Network. She is also a founder and co-chair, together with Martti Ahtisaari and Joschka Fischer, of the European Council on Foreign Relations. Previously, she was the executive director of the Open Society Institute-Brussels (1997-2003), the representative office of the Soros Foundations Network in Western Europe. She founded and was the executive director from 1993 through 1997 of the European Action Council for Peace in the Balkans, a West-European non-governmental organization dedicated to establishing peace, democracy and stability in the Balkans.

In 2005, the World Economic Forum elected Van Oranje a Young Global Leader. Jane Wales will continue to serve as acting CEO, until June 30th, 2008.

Congrats to Mabel! As Dawn French said about Princess Catherina Zeta Spartacus Douglas Jones, Queen of Wales... ' the things money and influence can buy' ;).

I find it a bit odd that they need a young white woman to be the chair(wo)man of such an distinguished group btw.

Last edited:
Congrats to Mabel! As Dawn French said about Princess Catherina Zeta Spartacus Douglas Jones, Queen of Wales... ' the things money and influence can buy' ;).

I find it a bit odd that they need a young white woman to be the chair(wo)man of such an distinguished group btw.

Odd?Why?Other members are a bit pale in the face compared to Desmond and dear wonderfull Nelson too.What about the former PM of Norway,and the former president of Ireland.

One of the reasons is simply that our dear Mabel,all on her own and before her wedding,already had a more impressive agenda then most kids her age with a literal who's who,from Downing Street 10 to a tiny and dirty gipsy village,never mind her Manolo Blashniks in the mud and never mind pomp and a lot of ado about nothing,you don't fool her and she lets you know,it's always and everywhere the same;"Hi,I'm Mabel",regardless whom she faces.
Dear Mabel is very much underestimated by most dutch,oh well,so be it,I can't cure shortsightedness right here and now.

This huge and important network can be used to the fullest to achieve what The Elders and their organisation stand for,so yes,I fully understand their choice.A great choice,absolutely.
:flowers:

And the situation was worse than imagined, again from royalblog:

'Situation Zimbabwe worse than imagined'

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter said Monday the crisis in Zimbabwe appears "much worse than anything we ever imagined" after the government there blocked his weekend humanitarian visit. Carter and the other The Elders were to be accompanied by Dutch Princess Mabel.
Carter, former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and child advocate Graça Machel called for southern African leaders to halt the "deep suffering in Zimbabwe", where the U.N. says more than 5 million people face imminent starvation.

Read more here (& pictures).

This is a very tragic situation. I am not surprised that Zimbabwe's leader denied visas to the Elders. He has done many terrible things. I am grateful that Mabel and the Elders were able to meet in South Africa. Their high-profile will bring a lot of needed attention to this situation. I really admire Mabel and the good work that she is doing.

:nonono: It's a shame when heartless politicians allow suffering of their own people and outsiders have to step in to help solve the problem. Hopefully Mabel and the others trying to help can do something positive.

HRH Princess Mabel and three memebrs of The Elders are to return to Cyprus after they visit Ankara and Athens in the proces to bring together both communities on the island.

I know that it is not the people,be they turkish or greek,on the island that deliberately slow down a unification process,or even more openness,it is the politicians on both sides who don't want to loose the velvet that covers their butts now.

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Dutch Princess Mabel returns to Cyprus

courtesy hja

Princess Mabel,CEO of "The Elders" is visiting Cyprus from today till the 10th.

Thank you Pam for that video and I'm very impressed with Mabel. Yes, she made serious mistakes in the past, but it appears that she is passionate about the cause she's working for.

October 20, 2010- Princess Mabel and The Elders in Jordan
pic

Thanks for the photo Salma. I do admire Mabel for her dedication to the causes she works for.

I agree with you Katrianna. I wish we saw her more often and hear more about her work.

Princess Mabel has been to Cyprus, with several members of the elders (among them Desmond Tutu) to attend the talks between the leaders of Greek Cyprus and Turkish Cyprus.

Since 2008 the Elders are trying to solve the split of the islands, but with little result thus far.

Source: royalblog.

I admire Princess Mabel for her lifelong zest in democratization, justice and equal opportunities. She did it before her marriage with the Soros Foundation, the Open Society Institute, War Child and she continues it now with The Elders.

HRH Princess Mabel,CEO of " The Elders" travels to North-Korea today on a mission that includes former US President Jimmy Carter,former President of Finland Martti Ahtisaari,former President of Ireland Mary Robinson and former PM of Norway Gro Brundlandt in a bid to ease tensions between the two Korea's.The Princess is the first member of the Dutch Royal Family to visit North-Korea.HRH was in Beijing over the Easter weekend as part of a six day mission to Beijing,Pyongyang and Seoul with The Elders.The group will return to Seoul on the 27th till the 29th of April after which the Princess will leave for The Netherlands to celebrate Koninginnedag with the rest of the Family.Admirable woman indeed.

Mission statement | The Elders

:previous:
After a full schedule the past week,and Queensday celebrations here in The Netherlands,the Princess,CEO of The Elders,just arrived in Cote d ' Ivoire,Africa on yet another Peace mission
with The Elders.Admirable Lady!

Mission statement | The Elders

Princess Mabel was yesterday present for the meeting of The Elders, an independent group of global leaders who work together for peace and human rights. The meeting took place at the Royal Palace in Oslo, Norway on May 7, 2012. Members of the Norwegian Royal Family - King Harald, Queen Sonja, and Crown Prince Haakon - were also present, as was Jimmy Carter (former US President).
- The Picture

I am really glad to see Mabel again. This must be a horrible time for her, but life goes on and she should focus on that.

I am, always, amazed, at someone as knowledgeable as Mabel, allowing this situation to continue, but then, again, it is her situation, and who am I to judge.

The Princess Mabel has resigned as CEO of The Elders as of now due to her "personal situation" .
The Elders accepted the resignation with great and deep regret.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom