The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Prince Friso and Princess Mabel and family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Aristocracy

Mabel's Job: 'The Elders', An African Policy Institute

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Princess Mabel takes job with 'The Elders'

Princess Mabel will serve as the first Chief Executive of The Elders,Desmond Tutu, Chair of the Elders, announced on Wednesday. She will oversee the day-to-day operations for the Elders, a group of eminent individuals convened by Nelson Mandela to use their wisdom, independent leadership and experience to tackle some of the world’s toughest problems.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Majesty

Absolutely great news,a most impressive job,and group of people,indeed.

The Elders :: theElders.org

Congratulations HRH!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Desmond Tutu, Chair of the Elders, today announced that Mrs. Mabel van Oranje will serve as the group’s first Chief Executive Officer. She will oversee the day-to-day operations for the Elders, a group of eminent individuals convened by Nelson Mandela to use their wisdom, independent leadership and experience to tackle some of the world’s toughest problems.

“My fellow Elders and I are delighted to have found such an accomplished and dynamic individual to steer the operations of our group,” said Tutu, “Mabel brings a strong background of work on some of the most challenging issues and a global perspective to this position, and I believe she will be instrumental in helping the Elders fulfill our mission.”

Van Oranje, who assumes the position on July 1 and will be based in London, currently serves as the international advocacy director of the Open Society Institute, which is part of the Soros Foundations Network. She is also a founder and co-chair, together with Martti Ahtisaari and Joschka Fischer, of the European Council on Foreign Relations. Previously, she was the executive director of the Open Society Institute-Brussels (1997-2003), the representative office of the Soros Foundations Network in Western Europe. She founded and was the executive director from 1993 through 1997 of the European Action Council for Peace in the Balkans, a West-European non-governmental organization dedicated to establishing peace, democracy and stability in the Balkans.

In 2005, the World Economic Forum elected Van Oranje a Young Global Leader. Jane Wales will continue to serve as acting CEO, until June 30th, 2008.
Congrats to Mabel! As Dawn French said about Princess Catherina Zeta Spartacus Douglas Jones, Queen of Wales... ' the things money and influence can buy' .

I find it a bit odd that they need a young white woman to be the chair(wo)man of such an distinguished group btw.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Congrats to Mabel! As Dawn French said about Princess Catherina Zeta Spartacus Douglas Jones, Queen of Wales... ' the things money and influence can buy' .

I find it a bit odd that they need a young white woman to be the chair(wo)man of such an distinguished group btw.
Odd?Why?Other members are a bit pale in the face compared to Desmond and dear wonderfull Nelson too.What about the former PM of Norway,and the former president of Ireland.

One of the reasons is simply that our dear Mabel,all on her own and before her wedding,already had a more impressive agenda then most kids her age with a literal who's who,from Downing Street 10 to a tiny and dirty gipsy village,never mind her Manolo Blashniks in the mud and never mind pomp and a lot of ado about nothing,you don't fool her and she lets you know,it's always and everywhere the same;"Hi,I'm Mabel",regardless whom she faces.
Dear Mabel is very much underestimated by most dutch,oh well,so be it,I can't cure shortsightedness right here and now.

This huge and important network can be used to the fullest to achieve what The Elders and their organisation stand for,so yes,I fully understand their choice.A great choice,absolutely.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Majesty

The Elders visited Zimbabwan refugees after they were refused entry to that country by that degenerate fool Mugabe.

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Princess Mabel & Elders visit Zim refugees

courtesy HJA's Royalblog.nl.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

And the situation was worse than imagined, again from royalblog:

Quote:
'Situation Zimbabwe worse than imagined'

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter said Monday the crisis in Zimbabwe appears "much worse than anything we ever imagined" after the government there blocked his weekend humanitarian visit. Carter and the other The Elders were to be accompanied by Dutch Princess Mabel.
Carter, former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and child advocate Graça Machel called for southern African leaders to halt the "deep suffering in Zimbabwe", where the U.N. says more than 5 million people face imminent starvation.

Read more here (& pictures).
Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

This is a very tragic situation. I am not surprised that Zimbabwe's leader denied visas to the Elders. He has done many terrible things. I am grateful that Mabel and the Elders were able to meet in South Africa. Their high-profile will bring a lot of needed attention to this situation. I really admire Mabel and the good work that she is doing.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Courtier

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Princess Mabel interviews Desmond Tutu

Princess Mabel interviewing Archbishop Tutu July 8.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Majesty

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Princess Mabel & The Elders to visit M. East

courtesy hja
Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Nobility

any pics of Mabel in the Middle East?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's a shame when heartless politicians allow suffering of their own people and outsiders have to step in to help solve the problem. Hopefully Mabel and the others trying to help can do something positive.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Commoner

Luciana

[QUOTE = emilieweber2004; 985997] cualquier fotos de Mabel en el Oriente Medio? [/ QUOTE]

A nice video and pics in this link

Mission statement | The Elders
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Majesty

HRH Princess Mabel and three memebrs of The Elders are to return to Cyprus after they visit Ankara and Athens in the proces to bring together both communities on the island.

I know that it is not the people,be they turkish or greek,on the island that deliberately slow down a unification process,or even more openness,it is the politicians on both sides who don't want to loose the velvet that covers their butts now.

News Summary Royalblog.nl: Dutch Princess Mabel returns to Cyprus

courtesy hja
Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Princess Mabel,CEO of "The Elders" is visiting Cyprus from today till the 10th.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

TEDxAmsterdam: Mabel van Oranje on Vimeo

here's a video of Mabel speaking at TEDx in Amsterdam.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you Pam for that video and I'm very impressed with Mabel. Yes, she made serious mistakes in the past, but it appears that she is passionate about the cause she's working for.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

October 20, 2010- Princess Mabel and The Elders in Jordan
pic
Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Thanks for the photo Salma. I do admire Mabel for her dedication to the causes she works for.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Thanks for the photo Salma. I do admire Mabel for her dedication to the causes she works for.
You are welcome

One more pic
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2950/180263787.jpg
Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you Katrianna. I wish we saw her more often and hear more about her work.