Prince Friso and the Line of Succession

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
Do you think, that HRH Prince Johan Friso will get back on the line of the succession with his two daughters in nearer or further future?

No, once you are out, you´re out. There isn´t a way of getting back into the line of succession.

I don't remember discussing this before, but how do you remove yourself from the line of sucession?

Did Friso just announce that, or did he have to do something? Is there some sort of procedure?

I don't remember discussing this before, but how do you remove yourself from the line of sucession?

Did Friso just announce that, or did he have to do something? Is there some sort of procedure?

They didn't ask for the Consent of the Parliament for their marriage. These in line of succession to the dutch throne must have the Consent of the Parliament for the marriage.

Oh- that's what I figured. I would have thought there would be some more bureaucratic red tape, though.

Short of marrying someone without permission, how else would someone renounce their claim to the throne?

Well, he also married someone of whom the Dutch parliament did not approve. They (Friso and Mabel) were not entirely truthful from the get go about her previous relationship with a drug dealing mobster.

Is this why they are not on the Dutch Royal Wesite? It seems so harsh. How does the queen or other members feel about their son/brother being "wiped out"? I am very curious about this.....please elaborate.

That is indeed why they are not in the main index of the website, just like prince Pieter-Christiaan, prince Floris and their wives, and as princesses Irene and Christina.

But on the Dutch version he is still available, by clicking on his name in the biography of the queen: Het Koninklijk Huis

The same for his van Vollenhoven cousins btw.

Last edited:
The system seems a very good one because it protects the institution of the monarchy by preventing the possibly of unsuitable candidates getting close to the throne. It also allows people further down the line of succession the opportunity upon marriage to free themselves from the burdens of being in line to the throne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom