Dutch Royals edited Wikipedia Entry on themselves: August 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
According to the RVD prince Friso and Princess Mabel changed the wikipedia page of Princess Mabel. Apparently they made the changes from Palace Huis ten Bosch. They changed the sentense that Princess Mabel provided untruthfull information to the Prime Minister.

Hey! Where did you find that information?

According to the RVD prince Friso and Princess Mabel changed the wikipedia page of Princess Mabel. Apparently they made the changes from Palace Huis ten Bosch. They changed the sentense that Princess Mabel provided untruthfull information to the Prime Minister.

It is not like she committed a crime you know.What she did was to make a change in the "incomplete and false information" sentence,she deleted the "and false" in reference to the letter she and Friso had sent to the PM at the time before their marriage in which they stated they had provided him,the PM,with incomplete information,not incomplete AND FALSE.As we all know any kuckoo can add whatever to Wikipedia (reason I never refer to it,as it is often incorrect brabble).

Mabel must have been under the impression no-one would ever notice,if it wasn't for that new thing,the wikiscanner,that can trace any post back to the IP number/address of the PC used.That all and that's it.The original sentence has meanwhile been restored,with reference to the couples letter to the PM,for accuracy 's sake..

Last edited:
But how did you know that Mabel changed it? :)
(Maybe somebody else did it from Huis ten Bosch)

But how did you know that Mabel changed it? :)
(Maybe somebody else did it from Huis ten Bosch)

The RVD issued a statement this evening in which it said Friso and Mabel changed it.That she changed it,I can understand,it wasn't quite accurate,but it wasn't exactly wise either to use a PC at the private residence of HM.

Last edited:
I really dislike the way this couple keeps dealing with this matter like sulking teenagers who can not stand it that somebody corrected them. If they think they have been treated unjust and false alligations were made they should either open up about it or be silent. Not secretly changing sentences etc. It was the prime minister himself who said that the provided information was false btw, so this change is rather uncredible.

Last edited:
The wikipedia page of Princess Mabel now start with this remark:

Editing of this article by unregistered or newly registered users is currently disabled

I am envisioning Toos Balkenende (mother of the Prime Minister) tryng to correct the page ;)

From expatica:

Royals edited Wikipedia entry

30 August 2007
THE HAGUE (AFP) - Controversial Dutch Princess Mabel and her husband Prince Johan Friso edited a Wikipedia entry about her to take out a reference that she had given false information to the government, the royal information service RVD confirmed Wednesday.

Several media outlets here reported that a computer with an IP address registered to the palace of Queen Beatrix amended a sentence in the entry saying that Mabel had given "incomplete and false information" to the government over her relationship with drugs lord Klaas Bruinsma.

Read the entire article here.

It seems Friso and Mabel are the only ones who change Wikipedia lemmas about themselves!
In the past Bernhard and Beatrix called up reporters to state that a story was not true in 'their' perspective. Beatrix was once rumoured to say that they could make an entire page of a newspaper that contained 'rubbish' disappear in this way. Especially Bernhard befriended journalist and so had some power over them to correct their storys. When later this turned out to be impossible, after lockheed when reporters became more critical, Beatrix once remarked 'de reugen regeert' Lies Rule.
Now with the use of internet Lies Rule most certainly and the habit of the Oranges to change story's they find false hasn't changed. What has changed is that this happened anonymous at first, but almost two years after the famous editing it can be discovered.
Wiki is meant to be a forum of discussion ones you disagree about a certain matter. It is fine that they want to change things, they just have to explain why. Make up a profile so people can't trace your IP! Also I don't think that 'false' is the right translation of 'onjuist' False means foutief I would say.

It does become clear that there are a lot of people who still hold a grudge against friso and mabel, and that they are willing to make something horrible out any (very) innocent matter.

I thought it rather undignified when Friso announced or the RVD did (before his marriage) that he was NOT a homosexuel. Really strange thing to publish, no matter how much people gossip about you.

I really dislike the way this couple keeps dealing with this matter like sulking teenagers who can not stand it that somebody corrected them. If they think they have been treated unjust and false alligations were made they should either open up about it or be silent. Not secretly changing sentences etc. It was the prime minister himself who said that the provided information was false btw, so this change is rather uncredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dutch royals edited Wikipedia entry on themselves

Controversial Dutch Princess Mabel and her husband Prince Johan Friso edited a Wikipedia entry about her to take out a reference that she had given false information to the government, the royal information service RVD confirmed Wednesday
Several media outlets here reported that a computer with an IP address registered to the palace of Queen Beatrix amended a sentence in the entry saying that Mabel had given "incomplete and false information" to the government over her relationship with drugs lord Klaas Bruinsma.

Dutch royals edited Wikipedia entry on themselves

The Wikipedia page in question:

Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The danger with Wikipedia - you never know what qualifications the person writing the articles, or doing the editing has - both in terms of neutrality and in terms of actual knowledge. It is why it never should be seen as the primary and final source for any information gathering.

Oh, what a shame... Mabel & Friso should certainly stick to more important matters...

I really think that they had no right to do it . Even though wikipedia isnt exactly the most respectable site, they should just have left it alone. what's next go around and edit every Magazine and newspaper that tells stories about them that are either unflattering or untruthful. the people know right from wrong.

As to the PM,he added the "and false" himself thus giving his own twist to matters where he shouldn't have,He just messed that up,too.

I really think that they had no right to do it . Even though wikipedia isnt exactly the most respectable site, they should just have left it alone. what's next go around and edit every Magazine and newspaper that tells stories about them that are either unflattering or untruthful. the people know right from wrong.

ditto. they should have known better.

the article also made its way to MSN: Dutch royals caught revising Wikipedia - Online World - MSNBC.com

at least we now know that Mabel and Friso are techno-savvy. ha ha:D

I don't see any problem with it. Who better to set the record straight? Aren't we always saying here, "well its only a rumor" or "this person says". Why not hear it from the people that it actually pertains to?

I don't see any problem with it. Who better to set the record straight?

Far as I can make out, they weren't setting it straight. They were deleting something that was embarrassing to Mabel but factually correct.

^^ got that exactly, Elspeth. that's what they were doing. they weren't setting a record straight; they were glossing it up as if to save face.

Well I have to disagree. Mabel is the only one, besides the ex boyfriend, who knows for sure what was true and what was false about their sexual relationship (or lack thereof). It's up to her if she wants to remove the "and false" terminology from her Wiki page when talking about the letter that was sent to the Prime Minister.

If the original wording in the Wikipedia page was the way it is now, the "incomplete and false" was attributed as a quote made by the Prime Minster, and it appears that that's what he actually did say - or, rather the more correct translation, "incomplete and incorrect."

The present wording says "Later that year, Prime-Minister Jan Peter Balkenende stated that she had given "incomplete and incorrect information" to Queen Beatrix and to him about the duration and extent of her relationship with drug kingpin Klaas Bruinsma," which shows that "incomplete and incorrect" is a direct quote from the Prime Minister. If they changed that to say "...Prime-Minister Jan Peter Balkenende stated that she had given "incomplete information" to Queen Beatrix and to him...", they're falsifying what he said. This isn't a case of the Wikipedia author claiming that they gave incorrect information, it's a case of the Prime Minister saying it, and being known to have said it, and of them changing what he said. That's seriously unethical.

Very interesting. I wonder who else has edited their wikipedia pages. :hmm: :lol:

If it was a matter of changing the Prime Ministers statement, then yes it was unethical.

If the original wording in the Wikipedia page was the way it is now, the "incomplete and false" was attributed as a quote made by the Prime Minster, and it appears that that's what he actually did say - or, rather the more correct translation, "incomplete and incorrect."

The present wording says "Later that year, Prime-Minister Jan Peter Balkenende stated that she had given "incomplete and incorrect information" to Queen Beatrix and to him about the duration and extent of her relationship with drug kingpin Klaas Bruinsma," which shows that "incomplete and incorrect" is a direct quote from the Prime Minister. If they changed that to say "...Prime-Minister Jan Peter Balkenende stated that she had given "incomplete information" to Queen Beatrix and to him...", they're falsifying what he said. This isn't a case of the Wikipedia author claiming that they gave incorrect information, it's a case of the Prime Minister saying it, and being known to have said it, and of them changing what he said. That's seriously unethical.

Hear, hear.

This new sorry episode just proves once again that Mabel just doesn't get it. And probably never will. Friso, ditto.

I'm sure the wikipedia pages of, say, Maxima contain factual errors as well, but does the princess go and muck around in what's now already considered the great internet encyclopedia? No of course she doesn't.

All I can say is, for all Mabel's and Friso's combined academic smarts and phd's and whatnot, they sure know how to put their foot in their mouths. Goes to show that university diplomas cannot buy anyone common sense.

I gave Mabel the benefit of the doubt for eons but am starting to fess up to what she really is: a manipulative person who had affairs with dubious men to end up in the family of, of all people, our great queen. I feel Friso made a big mistake.

This is exactly right and hitting the nail on the head. Editing an on-the-record quote about the matter by, no less, the prime minister of the Netherlands. Again, Mabel, how dumb can you possibly be?!

Another thought, as they say, 'history is written by the winners.', right.. But in this case, it looks like technology is catching up with these 'winners', which is extremely intriguing.

The other thing is that I read somewhere that Wikipedia actively discourages people from writing up their own bios for example for the encyclopedia. I'd argue Mabel went against that here. Unethical indeed.

Last edited:
If it was a matter of changing the Prime Ministers statement, then yes it was unethical.
You bet!

What I'm wondering is: to me, this latest incident regarding Mabel has really been the last straw.

I now just want this woman to go away from the public stage, I mean, who needs a pedantic 'princess' who, mind you, not even a year ago, publicly berated the Dutch media for not sticking to facts and what does she sneakily do? Pot, kettle, anyone? I've had it with this person and wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one, if she becomes a sort of de facto persona non grata among the long-suffering Dutch public.

It was the PM who changed the words in the first place as written down in the letter of the couple to the PM and gave his own twist to it at the time by adding the "and false" bit.Un-ethical?Yes.All in all it was him that didn't handle this situation due to himself and the amateurs in the information/security services of whom he is responsible and should have done their job right but failed hence the mess.PM J-P saved his own,then younger and incompetent,behind.

I am really not familiar with the intricate details of the original letter. Wasn't the whole debate over whether or not she had slept with the drug dealer and had been dishonest about it? Honestly, was that the whole reason that JF had to relinquinsh his claim? It was strictly the dishonesty part, right? Not the actual relationship????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom