Death and Funeral of Prince Friso: August 12 and 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bah what did I look at those vids and pics for omg now I'm sitting here crying my eyes out. Tbh I never followed the Dutch royals much I'm much more in the know about the British royals but looking at all those pics and such I truly felt like P. Friso was part of my family.
I really had the same feeling...

I think I disagree with you, it's not a rule, but a family will and wish.
Usually at Catholic funerals (and I've been to a lot), children are dressed in dark colors just for the respect of the deceased and other people, if they choose black, dark blue, brown, dark green, etc... is up to the family to decide what's better and appropriate. Princess Elisabeth and Prince Gabriel wore black for the funeral of their maternal grandfather, there's nothing wrong with black.
My country is Catholic, and I never seen white at a funeral so far, but it depends on the country traditions and the families will.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am Catholic too and I have never attended a requiem where young children were dressed the way you describe.

In the end it's up to what the family prefers and perhaps isn't even that important.

I was sadden to hear of the death of Prince Friso. I saw many of the pictures and the one that stands out to me is the picture of Prince Friso as he was in life. I thought about his children, his wife and his family and how much he loved them. This almost brought me to tears (especially when thinking about his mother (the Queen and his children).

My condolences to the Dutch Royal Family.

Princess Beatrix, Mabel , Countesses Luana and Zaria ,
all dutch royal families... they are look so sad:cry:
I hope finally Prince Friso rest in peace.

Children wearing white

Regarding the children wearing white:
When Queen Wilhelmina died, her daughter, Queen Juliana and her adult grand-daughters (including Crown Princess Beatrix) all wore white. The queen wanted a white funeral because it represented the entrance into heaven. Her hearse and coffin and horses were all in white.

Queen Juliana's funeral followed the same.

Maybe this is a reflection of a family tradition in some way? Just a thought.

I'm affected by Friso's death and the grief of his Family like everyone else. It's so sad and the pain and loss is chiselled in the faces poor Mabel and Beatrix. However what's worse IMO is the plain truth that Prince Friso would still be alive had he not ventured into avalance prone areas against better advice, and it will probably haunt the Dutch RF for years.

viv

I'm affected by Friso's death and the grief of his Family like everyone else. It's so sad and the pain and loss is chiselled in the faces poor Mabel and Beatrix. However what's worse IMO is the plain truth that Prince Friso would still be alive had he not ventured into avalance prone areas against better advice, and it will probably haunt the Dutch RF for years.

viv
that is for the family of Florian Moosbrugger to bear, as it was he who survived the accident because he wore a safety airbag.

How crushingly, crushingly sad.

My heart breaks for the entire family, but in particular, Mabel, Luana, Zaria and Beatrix.

This is very sad. They all looked composed but terribly, terribly sad. I feel deeply for them, especially Mabel and her daughters obviously.

In Sweden men close to the person who dies wear white ties
So also in sweden white is a colour worn at fuberals

At princess Lilians of Swedens funeral Daniel and Carl Philip wore white shirt with white ties chirstopher o' Neal wore white shirt but black tie.

I saw the heartbreaking funerals of Prince Friso on NOS yesterday at 6 pm. I was very impressed by the Speech of Minister Carel van der Linden (thanks to Lucien). Could someone provide the text in Dutch , I presume it is printed in your newspapers of to-day.
Grateful thanks.

Also, all Christians believe that the death is the entrance into eternal life. So, in the midst of sorrow, there is typically a spiritual sense of joy at knowing the person has entered the Kingdom of God. That's why "feast days" are usually celebrated on the day the person died, not the day they were born. White represents the Resurrection of Christ. Children - depending on their age - either mourn with the family or are encouraged to think of this is their living parent's "birthday" in heaven. As for wearing white when meeting the Pope, I believe the rule is if you are a reigning Catholic monarch, you have the privilege.

What on earth do you mean??HM was perfectly dressed for the occasion,and then what!?All were!It was not a fashion show remember!Who cares!Really,this is not the time nor the place to discuss fashion
Thank you dear Lucien for this reply after a rather unsensitive remark! There is a time and a place for everything!! I keep the people of the Netherlands in my thoughts!

that is for the family of Florian Moosbrugger to bear, as it was he who survived the accident because he wore a safety airbag.

No, i'm sorry, but no... just because he survived doesn't mean his family should feel guilty... and the fact that the royal family already returned for a wintervacation to Lech, imo means that they feel the same way

The Moosbrugger family is in no way to blame for the terrible accident of last year...

Queen Fabiola of Belgium had a white dress on her husbands funeral. It was as a symbol of hope and of faith in redemption. She chose to be happy and hopeful instead of mourning. This is now a trend that is more and more coming up.
As for kids, as a catholic living in a catholic country, I see both. At my grandpa's and uncles funerals being a kid I've always worn black, but some choose for dressing kids in white at funerals, black being a "sad colour".

mange tak Muhler as always, but if you have a chance to listen to Maaike Ouboter on youtube 'dat ik je mis' with English subtitles you will cry anyway. The singer based her song on having lost her parents, so that one can easily imagine why she was chosen to sing at Prince Friso's funeral.

Indeed, a very poignant song about what parents means to a child.

I just saw pictures from Queen Wilhelmina and Queen Juliana's funeral and all of the sisters wore white. So maybe it's tradition in th DRF for the children of the deceased to where white. In fact, for Queen Wilhelmina a large portion was done white. Even the horses were draped in white.

Last edited:
Behind king Harald are Mabel's mother, sisters and niece. Here niece was a bridesmade at their wedding.

This is simply heart breaking. Looking at the pictures put me to tears. I really feel for the whole family.

Prince Friso was also the godfather of Eloise (Prince Constantijn's oldest daughter) and Princess Alexia (King W-A second daughter). Even if they are only 11 and 8 years old, I think it's going to be pretty hard on them... :sad:

Last edited:
Prince Friso was also the godfather of Eloise (Prince Constantijn's oldest daughter) and Princess Amalia (King W-A second daughter). Even if they are only 11 and 8 years old, I think it's going to be pretty hard on them... :sad:

Princess Alexia is King WA and Maxima's second daughter.

Anyone whose discussion is what whom wore, is talking nonsense. It was a serious and heart rending scene. It is so unimportant what color or what outfit. God Bless them all and help them to heal.

I see nothing wrong with what Maxima was wearing for her brother-in-law's funeral. It looked more appropriate than the dish Mabel was wearing on her head. I've never seen children wear white to funerals, either. In fact, the only time I saw a girl child wear white was when the Luxembourg family had an audience with Pope John Paul II. Princess Alexandria(?) was the only one wearing white. Her mother and grandmother were wearing black, and all the males had black suits on. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

You are talking about a widow. The hat was not what I would wear, but I don't wear hats. Calling it a "dish" is nitpicking.

It was a funeral. People should concentrate on the family's grief and not on fashion.

What people choose to wear at a funeral of a friend or family member doesn't matter. They're in mourning. Mabel lost a husband, Max and Laurentien lost a brother in law, WA & Constantine lost a brother and Bea lost a son. The last thing they care about is how they look.

No, i'm sorry, but no... just because he survived doesn't mean his family should feel guilty... and the fact that the royal family already returned for a wintervacation to Lech, imo means that they feel the same way

The Moosbrugger family is in no way to blame for the terrible accident of last year...

I agree 100%. I have also read that he urged Friso use the anti-avalanche safety device but Friso refused.:sad:

Moosbruggers bear not even the slightest bit of responsibility for this tragedy but that probably hasn't stopped them from feeling guilty all the same...it's human.

Were any of Beatrix's sisters/nieces/nephews present at the funeral?

Were any of Beatrix's sisters/nieces/nephews present at the funeral?

Yes I believe most if not all. I certainly saw all of Princess Margriet's children and spouses, Princess Irene's daughter Margarita and her husband and Giuliana Guillermo.

Begrafenis prins Friso begonnen - NOS Nieuws

At about 1'12 you can see Beatrix' sisters walking together, and Margriet arm-in-arm with her husband Pieter van Vollenhoven.
A few paces behind them are (among others) their children and their respective spouses; all nieces and nephes can be seen walking to the church (grandchildren of Beatrix' sisters are not visible in the video, I don't know if they were there or not)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom