Death and Funeral of Prince Friso: August 12 and 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pics and video are heartbreaking �� In a video from NOS I saw that Italy's Foreign Minister, Emma Bonino, was present too.

Thank you for identifying Emma Bonino. I was wondering who that blonde woman was, as she was walking just behind the immediate family. Very touching to see everyone return to the palace arm in arm, including King Harald with Laurentien. She is the godmother of one of Princess Martha's girls, so must be close to the family.

No family is completely perfect, but the Dutch Royals seem so simple and natural, yet everything a ruling family should be at the same time.

I really like and admire all of them.

I think Friso was a mommy's boy in all the best possible ways. He was able to connect with his mommy in a way the others didn't.

Dutch Prince Friso's Funeral Attended By Royal Family, Friends
The House of Orange, which jealously guards its privacy, asked the public to stay away from the funeral ceremony, and police closed roads near the church where it took place. They also put up fences to prevent sightseers. Police allowed two Dutch news agencies to photograph and film the ceremony for distribution to media later in the day.
National broadcaster NOS reported that Friso's two brothers – King Willem-Alexander and Prince Constantijn – along with four of his childhood friends, carried Friso's casket to his grave.

Thanks everyone for the picture links. I looked at them and my admiration for the Dutch Royal family just seems to increase. They are such a warm loving family, I am so glad that Mabel and the girls will have a close knit group of family to gather around them and comfort them. I am so glad that Princess Beatrix and Mabel are close, at least she can take some comfort in Friso children. Having lost my brother when I was a teenager, it always helped that he had a son that we could watch grow up and help out. I have to say that the side picture of the Princess of Orange broke my heart. Amalia and Alexia looked heartbroken, I am so glad they have such an amazing loving set of parents. The photo of them all walking away with their arms around each other was priceless!!

Thanks everyone for the picture links. I looked at them and my admiration for the Dutch Royal family just seems to increase. They are such a warm loving family, I am so glad that Mabel and the girls will have a close knit group of family to gather around them and comfort them. I am so glad that Princess Beatrix and Mabel are close, at least she can take some comfort in Friso children. Having lost my brother when I was a teenager, it always helped that he had a son that we could watch grow up and help out. I have to say that the side picture of the Princess of Orange broke my heart. Amalia and Alexia looked heartbroken, I am so glad they have such an amazing loving set of parents. The photo of them all walking away with their arms around each other was priceless!!

Yes, I agree. I noticed The Princess of Orange's face and it was heartbreaking to see such a lovely young woman obviously grieving for her uncle. Very, very sad. But it also speaks of her maturity, sensitivity and character.

I have noticed that Mabel has fitted/closed her jacket with a big bow. I am sure that is intentional. She had bows on her wedding dress and now on the costume wearing when attending his funeral.

I love it that the children wore white. Prince Bernhards daughter did this at his funeral, too, although they already were elderly women when their father died. Nice tradition.

It's so heartbreaking to see the pictures and the video. However, I'm always moved by the closeness and warmth that seem to emanate from the Dutch RF, in good times and bad. I hope that will carry them through this terribly difficult time.

I don't know if this has been asked earlier in the thread. Is it normal practice for Dutch children to wear white at funerals? It's a lovely yet stark picture.

Last edited:
I have noticed that Mabel has fitted/closed her jacket with a big bow. I am sure that is intentional. She had bows on her wedding dress and now on the costume wearing when attending his funeral.

I love it that the children wore white. Prince Bernhards daughter did this at his funeral, too, although they already were elderly women when their father died. Nice tradition.

If I'm not mistaken, recently when Mabel attended Madeleine of Sweden's wedding to Chris O'Neill, the gown she wore had one sleeve in white with a bow that was mentioned to have been part of her wedding dress. I think perhaps the bows had special significance for her and Friso and its a way she keeps him close to her.

Personally I think its a good thing that its not uncommon for white to be worn at funerals. It shows that although we are grieving and sad that a loved one has left us and it hurts, coming together at the funeral of a loved one is a celebration of his/her life.

The images of the family prove how close they are. Also lovely to see King Harald and Princess Laurentien supporting each other:

http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Aug2013/PPE13081647.jpg

I don't mean to sound insensitive but I am just curious as to whether it is Dutch tradition to have a black coffin? It is highly unusual where I live.

I don't know if this has been asked earlier in the thread. Is it normal practice for Dutch children to wear white at funerals? It's a lovely yet stark picture.

Nope, unless there are special wishes for the funeral by the family (or deceased) the more usual dresscode is dark; completely black isn't often seen anymore either by the way...

Such grace and dignity, Mabel, Beatrix and the whole family was a picture of both today. My heartfelt prayers go out to them at this time.

The images of the family prove how close they are. Also lovely to see King Harald and Princess Laurentien supporting each other:

http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Aug2013/PPE13081647.jpg

I don't mean to sound insensitive but I am just curious as to whether it is Dutch tradition to have a black coffin? It is highly unusual where I live.

Again: not tradition, but there are several options considered 'regular' depending on the wishes of family (or deceased). Even caskets with bright colors can be used, but that's still a bit 'different'... white coffins are often used for children, wood-color for adults, but no rules for it..

What religion do they practice?
Dutch reformed (like 'Presbyterian'), i.e. the Calvin-branch of the Protestant churches. Maybe one the Dutch posters will elaborate?

viv

I think Friso was a mommy's boy in all the best possible ways. He was able to connect with his mommy in a way the others didn't.

Which makes my heart break all the more for Beatrix. :sad:

At Catholic funerals at least, it is considered inappropriate to dress young children in black. Generally they wear white, like the grand-children of the late Alix Countess de Lannoy were dressed at her Funeral Mass last summer.

What religion do they practice?

They are Protestant Christians (a couple of familymembers are Catholics, but the family as-such and particularly the reigning monarch are Protestants)

VIDEO of the funeral

Translation of the speech:
(I know there are a few mistakes and
I'm sorry I tried to do the best I can.)

Dear Mabel, Dear Luana and Zaria, Dear mother of Friso, Dear Mother of Mabel, brothers and sisters of Friso and Mabel and you, true friends of both of them.
It is good that you've gathered today to say goodbye to someone exeptional, to remember him in all we have received from him and to burry his body in the earth, in this faithful God
(for de nederlandstaligen onder ons: zegt de Dominee God of grond?)

(...)
Friso was really direct sometimes and had a strong opinion of things. The more familiar his environment was, I'm especially thinking about the "male community" in the family were he grew up, the more avowedly and direct he was able to be, knowing they would never let the other one down. He was able to be truely himself: confident, provocative, even cynic sometimes, his arms folded in a way of saying "come on".
But this wasn't how his Mabel and his foreign friends knew him. He was more free, more open, he dared to show his emotions more. Because he had emotions, as closed as he seemed to be. So did his brothers knew him too. One of you said just after the death of your father "since that day he let more space for his feelings", his father which he loved and trusted very much, which who he spent weekends golfing with.
His father was independent and recognized that part of him in his son.
(...)
The arrival of you, Luana and Zaria, so did you told me, has totally changed Friso. He enjoyed being with you and doing a lot of things together: games with Luana, reading books with her, building technics with Zaria: airplanes, vulcanos. And with both of you: treasure hunts.
(...)
He was always totaly sincere. A friend of him told that he went to Friso for advice when he had to chose a new job. "I already knew what my other friends are going to tell me" he said " But I never knew that from Friso". Some friends of Friso said "We do not know what we'll do without Friso, because he always tought in an independent way, because he gave such a good advice, because he had personal ideas about universities, about specific investisments, about democratic issues, about medical systems. Sometimes he was very firm in his opinion, but he was a really good listener too."

:verysad: :verysad: Rest in Peace Prince Friso...

At Catholic funerals at least, it is considered inappropriate to dress young children in black. Generally they wear white, like the grand-children of the late Alix Countess de Lannoy were dressed at her Funeral Mass last summer.

I guess there are different traditions varying a country; in my Catholic environment children didn't wear white, it's just that they were not obligated to wear black... Bright colors were usually not encouraged (unless specific dresscode was requested by family)

Must've been very hard for Beatrix to bury her son and my heart goes out to his wife and children and the rest of the family.

I guess there are different traditions varying a country; in my Catholic environment children didn't wear white, it's just that they were not obligated to wear black... Bright colors were usually not encouraged (unless specific dresscode was requested by family)

No, you are quite right. They don't have to wear white at all. It's just that you normally don't see little children dressed in black. I remember reading that when JFK was assassinated, his widow Jacqueline instructed their nanny to dress Caroline and John in any color except black, so their nurse put them in powder blue coats.

VIDEO of the funeral

Dear Mabel, Dear Luana and Zaria, Dear mother of Friso, Dear Mother of Mabel, brothers and sisters of Friso and Mabel and you, true friends of both of them.
It is good that you've gathered today to say goodbye to someone exeptional, to remember him in all we have received from him and to burry his body in the earth, in this faithful God (for de nederlandstaligen onder ons: zegt de Dominee God of grond?)

(...)
Friso was really direct sometimes and had a strong opinion of things. The more familiar his environment was, I'm especially thinking about the "male community" in the family were he grew up, the more avowedly and direct he was able to be, knowing they would never let the other one down. He was able to be truely himself: confident, provocative, even cynic sometimes, his arms folded in a way of saying "come on".
But this wasn't how his Mabel and his foreign friends knew him. He was more free, more open, he dared to show his emotions more. Because he had emotions, as closed as he seemed to be. So did his brothers knew him too. One of you said just after the death of your father "since that day he let more space for his feelings", his father which he loved and trusted very much, which who he spent weekends golfing with.
(...)
The arrival of you, Luana and Zaria, so did you told me, has totally changed Friso. He enjoyed being with you and doing a lot of things together: games with Luana, reading books with her, building technics with Zaria: airplanes, vulcanos. And with both of you: treasure hunts.
(...)
He was always totaly sincere. A friend of him told that he went to Friso for advice when he had to chose a new job. "I already knew what my other friends are going to tell me" he said " But I never knew that from Friso". Some friends of Friso said "We do not know what we'll do without Friso, because he always tought in an independent way, because he gave such a good advice, because he had personal ideas about universities, about specific investisments, about democratic issues, about medical systems. Sometimes he was very firm in his opinion, but he was a really good listener too."

THANK YOU!!!!!! I watched the video a couple of times and could pick out some words, being an English speaking person, I never would have gotten the true feeling of the words without your hard work!!!:flowers:

Thank you to all who posted pictures and links. It was heartbreaking to see the family grieve. The Dutch Royal Family strikes me as very close-knit, which will be a blessing during this very trying and sad period.

VIDEO of the funeral

It is good that you've gathered today to say goodbye to someone exeptional, to remember him in all we have received from him and to burry his body in the earth, in this faithful God
(for de nederlandstaligen onder ons: zegt de Dominee God of grond?)

(...)
(...)
(...)

I've heard it said that when a man dies, he holds in his hands only that which he has given away. This speech bears testament that Friso's hands were quite full. He meant a lot to a lot of people and will be sorely missed.

THANK YOU!!!!!! I watched the video a couple of times and could pick out some words, being an English speaking person, I never would have gotten the true feeling of the words without your hard work!!!:flowers:

It's really okay, I'm glad I could help and you understood it despite my bad english ;-) !
I'm happy a lot of people can know how amazing he was! :)

Back
Top Bottom