Death and Funeral of Prince Friso: August 12 and 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bah what did I look at those vids and pics for omg now I'm sitting here crying my eyes out. Tbh I never followed the Dutch royals much I'm much more in the know about the British royals but looking at all those pics and such I truly felt like P. Friso was part of my family.

What is the title of the song the choir was singing? (last minute of the video)

Up until the time Friso was moved from Wellington Hospital in England and sent home to the Netherlands, I held out a small sliver of hope that he might regain at least some of his faculties and live out his days.

Now after reading more about the way he lived his life I can see that it was better for it to have completely ended. It's not a good thing for a person who has existed full tilt to continue some shadowy semblance of life...not for them and not for the people who love them.:sad:

RIP Friso.

I am very greatful that through the images and footage, we have been able to share in some small way the grief and sorrow felt today at Prince Friso's funeral. It has allowed us to feel closer to this remarkable and close royal family. I do feel that the obvious strength, comfort and courage they have shown is an example and inspiration to all families.

If I'm not mistaken, recently when Mabel attended Madeleine of Sweden's wedding to Chris O'Neill, the gown she wore had one sleeve in white with a bow that was mentioned to have been part of her wedding dress. I think perhaps the bows had special significance for her and Friso and its a way she keeps him close to her.

Personally I think its a good thing that its not uncommon for white to be worn at funerals. It shows that although we are grieving and sad that a loved one has left us and it hurts, coming together at the funeral of a loved one is a celebration of his/her life.

I believe that Princess Mable wore the black dress with white bow sleeve to the Inauguration Ceremony of King Willem-Alexander.

Princess Christina wore a white silk scarf with her black outfit today.

White has many symbolisms, such as purity of heart, hope, simplicity etc. It has been a mourning colour before at Dutch Royal funerals and Queen Fabiola wore white at the funeral of King Baudouin.

I believe that Princess Mable wore the black dress with white bow sleeve to the Inauguration Ceremony of King Willem-Alexander.

Princess Christina wore a white silk scarf with her black outfit today.

White has many symbolisms, such as purity of heart, hope, simplicity etc. It has been a mourning colour before at Dutch Royal funerals and Queen Fabiola wore white at the funeral of King Baudouin.

Thanks for the correction on where Mabel wore the dress. You're absolutely correct.

Going through these pictures I've wept and I can only imagine what his family is going through now.

You can clearly tell how affected not just Princess Mabel, Princess Beatrix and the children are but also how affected the rest of the family is (the King, Queen, their children, Prince Constantijn and his family).

The picture of Amalia can melt any heart.

Mabel looks devastated.

I hope Go gives them strength to bear this loss and move on with their lives.

VIDEO of the funeral

Translation of the speech:
(I know there are a few mistakes and
I'm sorry I tried to do the best I can.)

Dear Mabel, Dear Luana and Zaria, Dear mother of Friso, Dear Mother of Mabel, brothers and sisters of Friso and Mabel and you, true friends of both of them.
It is good that you've gathered today to say goodbye to someone exeptional, to remember him in all we have received from him and to burry his body in the earth, in this faithful God
(for de nederlandstaligen onder ons: zegt de Dominee God of grond?)

(...)
Friso was really direct sometimes and had a strong opinion of things. The more familiar his environment was, I'm especially thinking about the "male community" in the family were he grew up, the more avowedly and direct he was able to be, knowing they would never let the other one down. He was able to be truely himself: confident, provocative, even cynic sometimes, his arms folded in a way of saying "come on".
But this wasn't how his Mabel and his foreign friends knew him. He was more free, more open, he dared to show his emotions more. Because he had emotions, as closed as he seemed to be. So did his brothers knew him too. One of you said just after the death of your father "since that day he let more space for his feelings", his father which he loved and trusted very much, which who he spent weekends golfing with.
His father was independent and recognized that part of him in his son.
(...)
The arrival of you, Luana and Zaria, so did you told me, has totally changed Friso. He enjoyed being with you and doing a lot of things together: games with Luana, reading books with her, building technics with Zaria: airplanes, vulcanos. And with both of you: treasure hunts.
(...)
He was always totaly sincere. A friend of him told that he went to Friso for advice when he had to chose a new job. "I already knew what my other friends are going to tell me" he said " But I never knew that from Friso". Some friends of Friso said "We do not know what we'll do without Friso, because he always tought in an independent way, because he gave such a good advice, because he had personal ideas about universities, about specific investisments, about democratic issues, about medical systems. Sometimes he was very firm in his opinion, but he was a really good listener too."

:verysad: :verysad: Rest in Peace Prince Friso...

Thank you for this so very much. I am not ashamed, being a mom myself, to admit I wept while reading this, it pierced my heart.:sad:

What religion do they practice?

The Dutch Royals are a mixed bunch. Princess Irene and her family and Princess Christina and her family are Catholics. Princess Beatrix and her family are Dutch Reformed except Queen Maxima who is Catholic. Princess Margriet and her family are mainly Dutch Reformed although two of her daughters in law and their children are Catholic. I think that's right, very confusing!

How could Queen Maxima be dressed like this ?

What on earth do you mean??HM was perfectly dressed for the occasion,and then what!?All were!It was not a fashion show remember!Who cares!Really,this is not the time nor the place to discuss fashion

Last edited:
Princess Margriet and her family are mainly Dutch Reformed although two of her daughters in law and their children are Catholic. I think that's right, very confusing!

Which ones?

Beautiful photos...:sad::sad::sad:

Which ones?

Beautiful photos...:sad::sad::sad:

Not confusing at all,no-one here gives a whatever.Love is love.

Princesses Marilène and Maurits is a "mixed"couple,as are TM The King and Queen.We are not that frumpy here,and thank goodness for that!!
We like it that way,and we keep it that way.

How could Queen Maxima be dressed like this ?

She looks lovely. I see nothing inappropriate about what she's wearing. The focus is where it should be, on Mabel, Princess Beatrice and Luana and Zaria. One can always find problems if that's all you're looking for.

Looking the many pictures in my royals, I found that HM should have had a more closed upper part of her black coat or dress.
This is only my personal opinion and am sorry to have written about this. kind regards MO

To Mum ,
I apologize in thread 324 , its over !

Last edited:
This pic just broke my heart... http://i43.tinypic.com/2nbum93.jpg

Yes, it is indeed heartbreaking... And the little girls all dresssing white dresses... it's so moving... They look like angels. The whole family looks so close, lovingly supporting each other... I hope God in His mercy will give the family the strenght, the courage and the wisdom to overcome this tragedy and carry on, united and loving as a family should be. P. Mabel and her girls will need that. And so will P. Beatrice. But i believe that Queen Maxima, as the smart and outwitted woman she seems to be will be able to find a way to keep the family together...

R.I.P. Prince Friso

:dutchflag: :easter::dutchflag:

The photos are really touching and sad, everyone seems to be greatly effected by the death of Prince Friso (particularly the children). :cry: I really liked this paragraph in the speech that Blue_ posted:

The arrival of you, Luana and Zaria, so did you told me, has totally changed Friso. He enjoyed being with you and doing a lot of things together: games with Luana, reading books with her, building technics with Zaria: airplanes, vulcanos. And with both of you: treasure hunts.

It sounds like they had a lot of fun together. I'm sure Friso will be greatly missed by Luana and Zaria.

Last edited:
At Catholic funerals at least, it is considered inappropriate to dress young children in black. Generally they wear white, like the grand-children of the late Alix Countess de Lannoy were dressed at her Funeral Mass last summer.
I think I disagree with you, it's not a rule, but a family will and wish.
Usually at Catholic funerals (and I've been to a lot), children are dressed in dark colors just for the respect of the deceased and other people, if they choose black, dark blue, brown, dark green, etc... is up to the family to decide what's better and appropriate. Princess Elisabeth and Prince Gabriel wore black for the funeral of their maternal grandfather, there's nothing wrong with black.
My country is Catholic, and I never seen white at a funeral so far, but it depends on the country traditions and the families will.

So moving... The Netherlands have been an important part of my life for several decades and I especially care for their Royal Family... I really feel the pain !

I see nothing wrong with what Maxima was wearing for her brother-in-law's funeral. It looked more appropriate than the dish Mabel was wearing on her head. I've never seen children wear white to funerals, either. In fact, the only time I saw a girl child wear white was when the Luxembourg family had an audience with Pope John Paul II. Princess Alexandria(?) was the only one wearing white. Her mother and grandmother were wearing black, and all the males had black suits on. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom