Death and Funeral of Prince Friso: August 12 and 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't speak Spanish. Does this story confirm that the funeral services will be private. Has this been confirmed by the Royal Court?

No, so far there has been no news about the kind of funeral he will have.

The Spanish press has reported that it will be private, with only family.

I have lost an adult child. There is no way to recover from it, that I have found. I also saw the sadness in Beatrix's eyes.

Officially no news yet concerning funeral arrangements,

more than 20000 people have left messages on the online condolence-registers in one day... must be a great support for the family that so many people all over the world are expressing their sympathy and thinking of them in these difficult times...

Just anounced:
The funeral will be private and held on Friday the 16th.

Yes, announced at 6 PM, his funeral wil be in the village of "Lage Vuursche" (near Baarn, where he grew up), and he will be buried at the local cemetery.

Several members of the dutch royal family are buried in the family tomb in the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft, but he is not a member of the royal house anymore.. i also think the family will have a lot more privacy in Lage Vuursche...

Last edited:
And this way Mabel and the girls will also be able to visit his grave if they want to.

Yes, announced at 6 PM, his funeral wil be in the village of "Lage Vuursche" (near Baarn, where he grew up), and he will be buried at the local cemetery. (So not in Delft..)

I'm quite surprised he won't be buried in the royal crypt.

Yes, announced at 6 PM, his funeral wil be in the village of "Lage Vuursche" (near Baarn, where he grew up), and he will be buried at the local cemetery.

Several members of the dutch royal family are buried in the family tomb in the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft, but he is not a member of the royal house anymore.. i also think the family will have a lot more privacy in Lage Vuursche...

Good, thank you for the info. They should have the utmost privacy. Poor family

I'm quite surprised he won't be buried in the royal crypt.

Well, there is not much room in there. Even after the renovations will be done.
The last time the child of a Monarch (and not the heir) died was in the 19th century with the son of King Willem III (prince Willem-Alexander). King Willem's other son died and was buried in France, I believe.
Don't know what happened to his third son, who died young.

Last edited:
Do you think that King Harald of Norway will attend the funeral?

I have lost an adult child. There is no way to recover from it, that I have found. I also saw the sadness in Beatrix's eyes.
I too saw the sadness in Princess Beatrix, having lost an adult brother, my mom learned to go on but never really recovered either. God Bless You MsPam!!

Well, there is not much room in there. Even after the renovations will be done.
The last time the child of a Monarch (and not the heir) died was in the 19th century with the son of King Willem III (prince Willem-Alexander). King Willem's other son died and was buried in France, I believe.
Don't know what happened to his third son, who died young.

Willem III's second son Maurits died young and is now in the royal burial crypt in Delft as are his brothers Willem and Alexander. All three sons died during the reign of their father.

However, Friso is not the son of the reigning monarch, and the choice for Lage Vuursche is very much his style of preferring not to be in the royal spotlight...

Funeral of Prince Friso

The funeral of Prince Friso will take place on friday afternoon August 16th at Lage Vuursche.After a service in the Stulpchurch the Prince will be interred at the cemetery
there.A private moment.

A Memorial service for HRH Prince Friso will be held later this year.

Lage Vuursche also is the village where his mother has her own private residence of Drakensteyn Castle.She will be close to her son in the vicinity of where he had such a happy youth,and close to where Princess Beatrix will move end of this year,beginning of 2014.

King Harald of Norway,his Godfather,will most likely be in attendance as will the members of the Moosbrugger family from Lech.

I feel so sad for the girls, my father died when I was 2 and my mother was pregnant with my borther, so I know what this girls will go through, the only difference is that my mother had a hard time to bring us up because she didn't work when my father died and my father was a CEO making a lot of money too young no life insurance in those days....from one day to the other my mother had to figure how to put food on the table and pay the bills and give us education, in Mabel case this will not be a problem. but the most important for the girls is to find in one of their uncles a father figure to grow up this will be so important when they are teenagers, I know it was the most difficult time for me! just when I net my husband 30 years older than me I found the peace . Such a terrible tragedy for all the family and all close to them, feel for them a big sadness today, hope God illuminate their path! R.I.P. Friso

King Harald of Norway,his Godfather,will most likely be in attendance as will the members of the Moosbrugger family from Lech.

Although King Harald is his Godfather, I don't think he will attend the funeral.
I believe the funeral will only be attended by members of the Dutch Royal Family, members of Prince Claus' family and close friends.
I have a feeling that King Harald and many other members of foreign Royal Families will be invited to the public Memorial Service which will probably be broadcast on Dutch television.
I think it is wise decision: a private funeral and a Memorial Service in which the public can participate and will probably only be attended by the adult members of the Dutch Royal Family.

Willem III's second son Maurits died young and is now in the royal burial crypt in Delft as are his brothers Willem and Alexander. All three sons died during the reign of their father.

However, Friso is not the son of the reigning monarch, and the choice for Lage Vuursche is very much his style of preferring not to be in the royal spotlight...

Ouch, really bad memory on my part.
Thank you for the correct information. :)

Colleague Adam Anders from Australia spoke about his good friend Friso in a touching interview today with NOS.
Some of his comments about Prince Friso:

~ "Amazing intellect, extremely good friend, great listener"

~ "A father who loved just spending time with his daughters"

~ "Very aware of being a part of the royal family ... something he was proud of and [he] wanted to do a good job."

~ "Watching Friso and his mother together was joy; the two of them make each other glow. You see such a big smile on both faces when they are together. Friso has a unique way of teasing his mother, simliar to the way he teases his friends, but ... more electric... with that mother and son warmth... it's special."

~ "Friso can also be perceived as shy or arrogant ... from my impression that is the silent listener in Friso."

~ "Mabel for Friso meant a true soulmate ... someone who is going to stimulate him and someone who is going to make him laugh ... While Friso speaks at the end of a conversation with few words, he did absolutely adore watching Mabel speak at the beginning of a conversation with many words."

http://nos.nl/koningshuis/video/539718-pieter-winsemius-en-adam-anders-vertellen-over-friso.html

Last edited:
Colleague Adam Anders from Australia spoke about his good friend Friso in a touching interview today with NOS.

~ "Very aware of being a part of the royal family ... something he was proud of and [he] wanted to do a good job."

~ "Watching Friso and his mother together was joy; the two of them make each other glow. You see such a big smile on both faces when they are together. Friso has a unique way of teasing his mother, simliar to the way he teases his friends, but ... more electric... with that mother and son warmth... it's special."

~ "Friso can also be perceived as shy or arrogant ... from my impression that is the silent listener in Friso."

~ "Mabel for Friso meant a true soulmate ... someone who is going to stimulate him and someone who is going to make him laugh ... While Friso speaks at the end of a conversation with few words, he did absolutely adore watching Mabel speak at the beginning of a conversation with many words."

http://nos.nl/koningshuis/video/539718-pieter-winsemius-en-adam-anders-vertellen-over-friso.html

Wow, this makes me even more sad for Princess Beatrix.

I remember how important support he was for his mother on the funeral of Prince Claus... There you could see how close they were to eachother. :sad:

Last edited:
I remember how important support he was for her mother on the funeral of Prince Claus... There you could see how close they were to eachother. :sad:

Oh jeez, that's right. She looked like she was about to collapse at Prince Claus's funeral, and Friso held her. How very very sad.:sad:

I'm so sorry this family - and country's loss and will pray for them all. I think it was a very wise move for Beatrix to abdicate when she did. I also remember how Prince Friso not only emotionally supported her, but physically held her up. She did indeed look like she was going to collapse. I cannot imagine how much more difficult this will be for her - and this time with no Prince Friso to hold her up. Now she can attend and grieve privately and not be required to continue with public appearances, etc. She can take as much time as she needs. My heart goes out to her.

I'm so shocked to hear about this! My deepest condolences goes to the Dutch Royal Family! :(

:easter:

The Stulpchurch and cemetery at Lage Vuursche

http://www.henri-floor.com/plaatjes/2010/11/13/foto43.jpg

It looks like a very very tranquil and a peaceful place.

It is a beautifull tranquil place indeed!And immediatly adjacent to the Drakensteyn Castle grounds,his childhood home and soon to be residence again of his mother as off the end of this year.

De Stulpkerk, Nederlands Hervormde Kerk, Lage Vuursche | Index

PPE Agency

http://www.anpfoto.nl/event.pp?eventid=917133&flush=1

Courtesy PPE & ANP

The small church and graveyard appear to be the most wonderful place to have one's final resting place.
And a stone's throw from the future home of his mother. Tranquil and so unpretentious. A quite spot where family can come to on occasions should they wish to.
Fitting for a Prince who shunned the limelight.

Back
Top Bottom