Death and Funeral of Prince Friso: August 12 and 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mabel indeed has been an exemplary wife and mother during this long period after the tragic accident. I am glad he was brought home to die and that Beatrix is no longer Queen with all those pressures on her.

Terribly sad news. He's at peace now, and I hope the family will be able to move on and experience closure.

This may come out as being cold hearted, but I hope that with the past year and a half that Friso has been in a coma, I hope his young family has had a chance to come to terms with his eventual death, so that it may make this time a little easier on them.
As for Pr. Beatrix, having just gone thru this with my parents loosing both of their sons, one expected and one not expected, the grief that consumes a parent is all encompussing. I don't think there is ever total recovery from this. My 2nd brother passed 19 yrs before my 1st brother passed. The pain and grief that I witnessed is unberable, and it was just getting easier for them when my 1st brother passed. The wound was still there and it was like it was torn open all over again. I can just imagine how hard it will be for Beatrix. My heart goes out to her the most. May Friso rest in everlasting peace now and may his guardian angels guide his family in the days ahead....

I completely understand what you mean. Such a very sad situation.

Such sad news. My heart breaks for his entire family but most especially his wife and daughters.

Although it is a sad occasion to lose a husband, a father or a child, I have to believe that even in the time of darkest sorrow and pain, there is the balance of light and good that comes from it. During the long months Prince Friso spent since his accident, I can't help but feel that his loved ones, in solidarity, formed an even closer relationship with each other as they struggled to cope. They were given time to come to understand that while there is always hope, there is also the reality that sometimes recovery is just not to be. They had time to say what they held in their hearts to him and to each other and it gave them time to accept they needed to let him go.

He has gone home and I sincerely hope that the family believes that its never goodbye, but until we meet again.

Although it is a sad occasion to lose a husband, a father or a child, I have to believe that even in the time of darkest sorrow and pain, there is the balance of light and good that comes from it. During the long months Prince Friso spent since his accident, I can't help but feel that his loved ones, in solidarity, formed an even closer relationship with each other as they struggled to cope. They were given time to come to understand that while there is always hope, there is also the reality that sometimes recovery is just not to be. They had time to say what they held in their hearts to him and to each other and it gave them time to accept they needed to let him go.

He has gone home and I sincerely hope that the family believes that its never goodbye, but until we meet again.
Thank you for this positive note as I too always seek the light when times are darkest. My thoughts go out to the family and they are in my prayers, but I also think of the Moosbrugger family in Lech, where there is now much more awareness of the danger of avalanche and better preparedness to overcome sudden confrontation. Dutch newspapers have noted that the Moosbruggers have also asked for privacy so that one can imagine the pain.

May he rest in peace. May the family gain strength from this.

Last edited:
Sad news indeed and my deepest sympathy to all the family. Even though the chances were slim that he would ever recover, everyone I think still held on to the hope for a miracle. I feel for the family but am happy for him as he is now in a different realm where he is o.k. He no longer feels pain or suffering and is now pure light. He is now in the company of his ancestors and is happy and free. I pray that the family he has left behind will find comfort in the fact that they will one day see him again and that he will be waiting with open arms and a smile. Loved ones may be gone but will always be in the hearts and memories of the ones that remain. May God bless all the family. :)

Haven't been on TRF for a while now my private life has gotten in the way unfortunately but I had to log on today after I heard the terrible news. Thoughts and prayers to the whole Dutch royal family. I hope he's finally in a peaceful place.

My deepest sympathies are with the whole Dutch royal family, but most especially Friso's wife, daughters, and his mother. May they all truly know God's peace in this difficult time.

I am so sorry to learn of Prince Friso's passing. RIP

Expected but sad news nontheless. Condolences to the DRF and the Dutch Nation.

I remember how Beatrix and Mabel walked side by side in a procession after her abdication. Two widows. Touching.

sad news but this was an avoidable death. my sympathies go out to the family

This is terrible news for a young family who in a sense is now grieving twice. I know I should know this, but do they "officially" practice a religion and will the funeral be religious?

I pray that he will rest in peace and his terrible accident will be a reminder for all those who ski to use the appropriate safety equipment. I think of the man with him (his instructor?) who was also in the avalanche and had the extra safety wear on. We can always learn from these horrible events and remember, it can happen to anybody.

A sad conclusion to the tragic accident; my respectful and sincere sympathy to those most touched by this. Humbly offering prayers for courage and comfort at this time and in the future.

To me the fact that WAX were on holiday shows that no 'plug was pulled' but he passed away naturally. Coma is hard work for the body, at some point the organs wont work properly anymore. Pneumonia or sepsis are quite common reasons to pass away. Even though very sad, I believe Mabel & the girls will be able to move on and have a happy/satisfying life ahead. Its different for Beatrix though. I don't think she will recover from this, ever. The death of a child is as bad as it can get because its reverse order, parents spend their life in the mindset that they will die with children mourning them, the natural flow of life.

The death of a child is as bad as it can get because its reverse order, parents spend their life in the mindset that they will die with children mourning them, the natural flow of life.
I would say that the mindset that parents will die before their children is a rather new one and only true in the western world, child mortality is still high in the third world, and you only need to go back a hundred years or even less to notice that there were no certainty that grown/adult children would survive their parents, not even among royals.

Last edited:
To me the fact that WAX were on holiday shows that no 'plug was pulled' but he passed away naturally. Coma is hard work for the body, at some point the organs wont work properly anymore. Pneumonia or sepsis are quite common reasons to pass away. Even though very sad, I believe Mabel & the girls will be able to move on and have a happy/satisfying life ahead. Its different for Beatrix though. I don't think she will recover from this, ever. The death of a child is as bad as it can get because its reverse order, parents spend their life in the mindset that they will die with children mourning them, the natural flow of life.

Well said DOM, I agree with everything you've said here.

Whenever possible, royals should be permitted to mourn in private, including the good-byes. Especially so when it's a young, tragic death like this. Obviously, this is not always feasible, such as when a head of state passes.

Condolences over the passing of Prince Friso.

I'm very glad the funeral will be held in private, away from public eyes. The family deserves to grieve in peace especially his wife and daughters. Prayers to them all during this difficult time.

I don't speak Spanish. Does this story confirm that the funeral services will be private. Has this been confirmed by the Royal Court?

You stated that very well. As a parent I totally agree with you about Beatrix - absolutely and unimaginably painful for a children to predecease a parent. I can't even imagine the pain she is going through.:sad:

Beatrix has never appeared to me to have fully recovered from the loss of Prince Claus, and then after the accident with Friso there was something about her that has been different. It's in her eyes. Even at happy occasions like the wedding of HGD Guillaume last fall I noticed it. Her heart is broken.

I was not at all surprised when she abdicated.

There are no words for the terrible loss the Dutch Royal Family has suffered.

To see the beloved husband, father, son and brother going into peace is very hard. Let's hope that he will protect his family as a guardian angel from now on.

Back
Top Bottom