A Girl for Johan Friso and Mabel - Emma Luana Ninette Sophie: March 26, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So why is it that she is a Countess just like her cousin Eloise when her parents did not ask for government permission to marry while Constantijn and Laurentien did?

How is the fact that Johan Friso, Mabel and their daughter are not part of the royal household distinguished now?

I like the name.
It sounds a bit exotic, but why not.
I think it's better than a name, which everyone has.

Luana means content and happy.

Julia

Because her father.. Friso official is a Count.. So his child is also count/countess

Congrats to the new family! I like the name Luana!

Genevieve said:
What is he a Count of?

This is from the Dutch Royal Family Official Web Page

On 20 June 2003, the Prince became engaged to Mabel Wisse Smit. The wedding took place in Delft on 24 April 2004.

Through his marriage he is no longer a member of the Royal House. Under the Membership of the Royal House Act (2002), he no longer bears the title Prince of the Netherlands. He still bears the personal title of Prince of Orange-Nassau, and will continue to be addressed as “Your Royal Highness”. The hereditary title Count of Orange-Nassau has also been bestowed on him.

Any children born to Prince Friso and Princess Mabel may use the title of Count or Countess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer or Jonkvrouw van Amsberg, and the surname Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. Should they do so, they will be referred to as Count or Countess. Prince Friso’s wife will not become a princess in her own right through her marriage. However, custom allows a wife to use her husband’s titles.

Ennyllorac said:
This is from the Dutch Royal Family Official Web Page

On 20 June 2003, the Prince became engaged to Mabel Wisse Smit. The wedding took place in Delft on 24 April 2004.

Through his marriage he is no longer a member of the Royal House. Under the Membership of the Royal House Act (2002), he no longer bears the title Prince of the Netherlands. He still bears the personal title of Prince of Orange-Nassau, and will continue to be addressed as “Your Royal Highness”. The hereditary title Count of Orange-Nassau has also been bestowed on him.

Any children born to Prince Friso and Princess Mabel may use the title of Count or Countess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer or Jonkvrouw van Amsberg, and the surname Van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. Should they do so, they will be referred to as Count or Countess. Prince Friso’s wife will not become a princess in her own right through her marriage. However, custom allows a wife to use her husband’s titles.

Thank you Ennyllorac.

I am still confused about how it is that Johan Friso and Laurentien didn't ask for permission to marry yet still seem to have most of the same priviliges and rights that Constantijn and Laurent who did ask permission to marry do. But that is for another thread I guess.

I guess with the couple being in London we can't expect too many royal visits to see Mabel and Luana at the hospital. But I hope we'll see Uncle Constantijn and Aunt Laurentien visiting their new niece when they are in London for Charles and Camilla's wedding.

Beautiful news, I hope we will see a picture of the little girl soon.

Congrats to the couple and Queen Bea.:)

Genevieve said:
Why is the name "vulgar?" Luana is a very different name but that doesn't make it "vulgar" because it is different or uncommon.
The name doesn't sound that as regal or elegant as say Sophie or Emma and it is a purely a cultural issue why the name sounds "vulgar". I personally prefer Emma and Sophie and am not too fond of Ninette and Luana.

Congratulations to Johan and Mabel! :) While I don't necessarily love the name Luana, I think it's the parent’s choice to name their child whatever they like (within reason). All that really matters is that their daughter is healthy and happy. I am a little confused; if her name is Emma Luana .... why is she going to be called Luana when her first name is Emma?

Congrats to Friso and Mabel ! what a great news !! :)

geboorte.png

Left Mabel Now and mabel as baby... Right Friso now and as baby

Danielle said:
if her name is Emma Luana .... why is she going to be called Luana when her first name is Emma?

I´ve asked myself this already in connection with Catharina Amalia. Why is she called Amalia and not Catharina? Maybe the young generation of dutch Royals wants to establish a new tradition.
I can only say, that I´m glad, that Luana can always choose "Emma" as older girl, when she isn´t happy with her fancy name.

Lena said:
I´ve asked myself this already in connection with Catharina Amalia. Why is she called Amalia and not Catharina? Maybe the young generation of dutch Royals wants to establish a new tradition.
I can only say, that I´m glad, that Luana can always choose "Emma" as older girl, when she isn´t happy with her fancy name.
Oh good. I am not the only one wondering. :)

This's really great news.Congrats the parents,Queen Beatrix,the Royal Family and the Dutch.A great year for them.

Lena said:

I've been wondering about the scenario as well. However the analogy with Catharina-Amalia is completely different.

In the Amalia's case Catharina-Amalia is one name connected with a hyphen, and while she is often called Amalia her official name is Princess Catharina-Amalia.

Mabel and Friso's name choices don't make much sense to me as the names are different names Emma Luana Ninette Sophie.

Her first name is Emma, but her official name is Countess Luana van Oranje-Nassau.:confused:

Alisa said:
Mabel and Friso's name choices don't make much sense to me as the names are different names Emma Luana Ninette Sophie.

Her first name is Emma, but her official name is Countess Luana van Oranje-Nassau.:confused:

You're right -- it doesn't make sense that that her official name is Countess Luana van Oranje-Nassau rather than Countess Emma van Oranje-Nassau. It would be one thing if her official name were Countess Emma but her parents and family referred to her as Luana but to make her official name Luana, too -- wouldn't it just make more sense to make her name Luana Emma Ninette Sophie van Oranje-Nassau?

One can't even say that Luana is a "nickname" or a variation of the baby's first name is in Prince Maurits and Princess Marilene's daughter whose full name is Anastasia but is referred to as Anna. Or as the example was given of Catharina-Amalia or Henry/Harry.

Very confusing the entire issue of Johan Friso and Mabel's daughter's name!

But very happy news for the couple and for Beatrix!

Genevieve said:
I am still confused about how it is that Johan Friso and Laurentien didn't ask for permission to marry yet still seem to have most of the same priviliges and rights that Constantijn and Laurent who did ask permission to marry do. But that is for another thread I guess.

Just a quick answer. I think it's because that, though Johan Friso is no longer a part of the Royal House (a.k.a people who can succeed), he is still a part of the royal family because he is the son of a reigning monarch. Actually, Friso hasn't been in much, if any, royal functions as a representative of the royal family.

Anyway, congrats to the new parents! I find the name Luana quite unique, sounds very polynesian/hawaiian. She won't be the first royal baby that has a non-royal sounding name. Very nice choice in my opinion.

Congratulations to the mother and father. It´s always good to hear that the mother and daughter are doing well. I´m sure Johan Friso is still beaming from ear to ear as he rightfully deserves to be.

Luana sounds lovely...however I picture a typical southern hillbilly (forgive me), reminds me of a Mary-Lou-type girl. Would've preferred Emma.

Congratulations:)

I think the names are beautiful. I really like Emma.

It´s not new in the younger generation to use the second name.

Willem-Alexander - called Alexander
Johan-Friso- called Friso

I think every parents have the right to choose the name for their babies themselves.Okay,as the future Queen Catharina-Amalia needed a more traditional and elegant name,but in fact Luana is the decision of Mabel and Friso and obviously they liked these names and should accept....

Why isn't there any news on the website of the Dutch royal house??? I think it's strange...and i hope there wil be a picture of the little countess soon :(

Here is an article. I find it strange that the only the Australian media has said anything about the birth of Luana. They couldn't even spell Johan's name correctly. :mad:

Princess has baby girl
From correspondents in The Hague
28mar05

PRINCESS Mabel, the wife of Dutch Prince Johan Frisco, has given birth to a baby girl.

The child, named Luana, is the fourth granddaughter of Queen Beatrix.

Prince Johan Frisco, Beatrix's second son, married Mabel Wisse Smit on April 24 last year, a union that caused him to renounce his right to the Dutch throne.

The wedding was embroiled in controversy with revelations that the prince's fiancee had a past relationship with a major drug trafficker, Klaas Bruinsma.

Finding that the couple provided "incomplete and erroneous" information about the bride-to-be's past, Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende refused to ask parliament to sanction the marriage.

Johan Frisco was third in line for the Dutch throne after his brother Willem Alexander and Willem's daughter Amalia.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12677299%255E1702,00.html

Many Congratulations to Friso and Mabel and welcome young Luana! :D :D

xxLindaxx said:
Why isn't there any news on the website of the Dutch royal house??? I think it's strange...and i hope there wil be a picture of the little countess soon :(

I think it was discussed at the time of the wedding that without having asked for permission, Johan Friso and Mabel are no longer part of the Dutch royal house even though they are part of the Queen's family. And as I understand it, the website of the Dutch royal house is only for members of the royal house, which would exclude Johan Friso and Mabel and the birth of Luana.

Congratulation to the new parents !:p
.........and log life for the new little princess !

Congratulations to Johan Friso and Mabel. They've been through a lot as a couple. Hopefully their lives will be a lot more peaceful (and more accepted by the Dutch) from now on.

Maybe they liked the name Luana more than Emma but they wanted her to have a more regal first name?

Congratulations to the Johan Friso and Mabel. I hope we get to see a picture of the baby soon. I bet she's beautiful.

This is turning out to be a big baby year for the Netherlands, not to mention two weddings also...Congratulations to the country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom