Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien, News & Events Part 3 (Aug 2007 - Dec 17)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they really wanted to settle in the Netherlands at this point, they would have bought a house and not have rented this place. It seems more like a pied-a-terre. And I am sure they would have bought a larger place outside of the city. Prince Constantijn is looking for a new job at the moment as the new Dutch euro commissioner has his own bureau chef. I doubt that they will come back soon though. As the prince said himself, he needs (and most likely wants) to work to support his family. Perhaps that they will increase their activities in the Netherlands slightly, maybe he will even move here eventually and find a regular job here. But it is unlikely that he wants to be a full time royal like Pss Margriet. I don't see a major change in the next years in that respect. Maybe if Beatrix will slow down in a while, but for now she is a major support.

I think WA only started to be a full time royal when he was in his late twenties. Before that only the occassional appearance here and there.

As for the housing: both palaces in The Hague are being renovated and the court has too little space as it is. I think most other real estate that the RF owns is located near the estates in Apeldoorn, Wassenaar and Soest/Baarn. And recently the portfolio has been devided between the 4 sisters of course. I have no idea if they own other properties in the Hague, but if they do, these properties may be rented to other parties.

--
Laurentiens father was selling / renting his own house in The Hague last year btw:

www.bekendeburen.nl/laurens-jan-bri...-beatrix-zet-zijn-statige-haagse-huis-te-huur

Also close to Noordeinde.

Last edited:
The temporary rented appartment of Prince Constantijn and the house of Princess Laurentien's father really are nice medium-sized and extremely well-maintenanced properties, so to see. The prices in The Hague are rocking high because of the many ministeries, embassies, international organizations (UN Court of Justice, International Crimes Tribunal, Europol, etc.). For the same money for these properties really great houses can be found in other parts of the country.

I understood that Prince Constantijn his family were using the house which was always used for the palace steward as their pied-à-terre. With the renovation of Huis ten Bosch Palace and the park around, also these annexes are included.

This means that the Prince and his family can return to a splendidly restored annex, surrounded by a new park, so maybe there is no need to search for new property? It is also possible that Eikenhorst (villa of the King) or Het Nieuwe Loo (villa of Princess Margriet) will be destined for Prince Constantijn? I can not imagine that the children of Princess Margriet will have the right to live in their mother's villa.

Picture: the villa of Princess Margriet on the Crown Domains around Het Loo Palace: http://bin.snmmd.nl/m/m1dzwkea38bk.jpg

Last edited:
On this old aerial picture one can spot the two annexes build together with the palace (so, like the central part of the palace also these houses are 370 years old). The one is next to the swimming pool and tennis court. The other is at the left side of the picture. Compared to the palace these are modest but on itself it are pretty nice, monumental houses in a dreamlike setting to live with a family. Maybe Prince Constantijn will return to this annex indeed.

The aerial: http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/image/143/2257878-800-771.jpg

This is one of these annexes, pictured in the 1950's, used as a pied-à-terre for Prince Constantijn: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Bijgebouw_-_%27s-Gravenhage_-_20086812_-_RCE.jpg/1024px-Bijgebouw_-_%27s-Gravenhage_-_20086812_-_RCE.jpg Of course his main residence is in Brussels.

One of the engagement pictures of Prince Constantijn and (then) Ms Laurentien Brinkhorst, made in one of the buildings on the palace domain: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--umJZx3jm...s640/5a47c3e3-95ce-46b4-bf6c-984439c2cc88.jpg

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if they will look for another place eventually. Staying with your mother is different than staying with your brother/sister-in-law. Even when you are only staying in an annex. Besides, maybe the king and queen will need it for their own guests.

I found the prices in The Hague surprisingly low TBH, compared to the ones here in Amsterdam.

I wonder where Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien do live, their actual residence? I once saw pictures of their two-storey appartment (only the outside) and it was in one of those typical large mansions one can also see alongside the boulevards in Paris.

I suppose Uccle or Woluwe St Lambert/Pierre are the poshest areas to be in Brussels.

-
Constantijn has been named the chairman of the Advisory board of the SIDN fund. The fund supports projects that strenghten the social and economic value of internet.

According to the FInanciele Dagblad, the prince will stay in Brussels now Neelie Kroes left as euro commissioner. Until spring he will act as advisor to the British Robert Madelin, Director General of Communication Networks (I suppose that is an EU department).

Nieuwe functie voor prins Constantijn - Royalty Online

Last edited:
Interesting, it looks like the jobs are simply ready for grab, when you are the brother to His Majesty The King...

;-)

How is the relationship between the Brothers?
Since he was young WA was called Majesteit ...

Princess Laurentien as Patron of the Dutch Listening and Braille Library (NLBB) attended the 2nd Braille symposium of the NLBB association in Utrecht today, November 28. During the event she received a copy of the new book "Braille, an introduction to Braille for adults’".

** ppe gallery ** dpp: Princess Laurentien at Braille Symposium **

On the 28th the princess also went to a debate at a school in Sittard. During a Q&A a painful blunder happened. A student asked how the princess met her husband, but on the screen behind her a picture of the late prince Friso was shown. The princess corrected it and only said ' that is not my husband', the audience laughted nervously.

Prinses Laurentien slachtoffer pijnlijke blunder

via: ATR

Today, December 8, Princess Laurentien gave a speech at the conference "Quality Time!" Expertise of handicap + study in Utrecht and talked about the right for education with students of the Marnixschool in Utrecht.

** ppe gallery 1 ** ppe gallery 2 ** anp gallery **

Last edited:

On December 11 Princess Laurentien attended the launch of the new Dutch magazine Wendy in Amsterdam. It's a magazine and online platform with daily advice on the themes of happiness and positivity.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Princess Laurentien opened the National Education Exhibition (NOT), the largest trade show for professionals in primary, secondary and vocational education, in Utrecht today, January 27.

** ppe gallery **

On the 28th the princess also went to a debate at a school in Sittard. During a Q&A a painful blunder happened. A student asked how the princess met her husband, but on the screen behind her a picture of the late prince Friso was shown. The princess corrected it and only said ' that is not my husband', the audience laughted nervously.

Prinses Laurentien slachtoffer pijnlijke blunder

via: ATR

AWKWARD!!!! :ohmy:

Prince Constantijn is starting this week in his new function as special advisor of Euro Commissioner Andrus Ansip (Estonia) who is responsible for the Internal Digital Market.

He also started working for StartupDelta, a government funded programme to help staring entrepreneurs in The Netherlands. The programme is chaired by Neelie Kroes, his former boss.

In April and May he will be travelling through the US as he was one of the 30 winners of an Eisenhower Fellow(ship). he will mainly be visiting universities and businesses. The fellowship is chaired by Colin Powell.

Prins Constantijn blijft werken in Brussel - Royalty Online

As a member of the StartupDelta circle Prince Constantijn gave a speech at a meeting about young start-ups and innovation in Amsterdam yesterday, March 5:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien will move back to The Hague this summer as was announced by the RVD today.

From Reformatorisch Dagblad:

This summer Prince Constantijn, Princess Laurentien and their children will move from Brussels to The Hague. The reason for the move is that the couple are increasingly working in the Netherlands. This was informed by the Government Information Agency (RVD) on Thursday. The move will take place this summer so that the children of Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien can start at the new school at the beginning of the new school year. The couple have three children: Countess Eloïse (2002), Count Claus-Casimir (2004) and Countess Leonore (2006).

Since March 1st 2015 Prince Constantijn is no longer in the service of the European Commission. However, the Prince remains part-time available as special advisor to the commission in the field of "Internet governance", drawing up rules for the Internet. In the Netherlands the Prince supports Startup Delta, an initiative to strengthen the business climate for start-ups in the Netherlands and attract foreign buyers.

Princess Laurentien continues her work, including being advisor to the port of Rotterdam and as director of the Missing Chapter Foundation, which engages in the minds of children and adults about sustainability and the future of the earth. The Princess also remains committed to tackling illiteracy, both in the Netherlands and internationally, including as honorary chairman of Reading and Writing Foundation and as a special envoy of the UN cultural agency UNESCO.

In Dutch: Prins Constantijn verhuist naar Den Haag - Koninklijk huis - Reformatorisch Dagblad

I wonder where the Prince and his family will live. A while ago it was in the news that the Prince has rented a pied-à-terre in The Hague. Huis ten Bosch is under restoration/modernization and that means the guests' appartments and/or the annex where the Prince has his appartment (one of the houses in the palace park, I thought) is not available during the works.

But now the Prince and his family are going to reside in The Hague permanently, maybe they will become the new residents of Villa Eikenhorst at the royal domain De Horsten in Wassenaar? That villa is now in use by the King but in a couple of years he will move to a splendidly restored 17th C Huis ten Bosch.

Could be, but I think they would want a (semi-)permanent home sooner then a few years from now.

Princess Laurentien -who seems to have trouble with her voice- gave an interview to the Flemish VTM Royalty. She spoke for half an hour wit VTM and were only allowed to ask 6 questions.

She talked about Brussels, where she has lived for 20 years and which she calls her second home. She says she knows all the small streets and lived on many different locations, which helped her to get to know the cit very well. She always felt very welcome.

She says she doesn't want to call herself an expert about Belgian live, but notices that Belgians love life, good food. It is a small and special country ith a big personality.

She talked about the two initiatives that won the Princess Margriet award and calls them brave. She has been president of the ECF for 8 years now. She emphasized the importance of culture.

Laurentien: exclusief gesprek met prinses van oranje | VTM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom