Princesses Mako,Kako & Prince Hisahito Current Events Part 2: May 2017 - October 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Kako is visiting Tottori Prefecture October 6-7 for the 5th National High School Sign Language Performance Contest.

On the 6th, she visited Tottori Prefectural Flower Park and attended a reception for sign language participants.

Photos: Sankei (includes Princess Mako at the Rakuten Open)

ETA: Princess Kako at the 5th National High School Sign Language Performance Contest on the 7th.

Photos: Sankei, Asahi
ETA: Princess Kako also visited a traditional umbrella manufacturer in Yonago, Tottori Prefecture before returning to Tokyo.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Do5juUSUwAEHmCp.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Do5567xU8AE_ZX2.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzX0u9QFh5Q

Last edited:

Princess Mako attended an event to celebrate 10th anniversary of the reintroduction of Sado's Japanese crested ibis in Sado, Niigata Prefecture, today, October 14:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

Princess Mako visited Tokinomori Park (Toki Forest Park) before the ceremony. The birds are also known as Toki. There will be a bird release tomorrow; 308 crested ibis have been released since the program began. An representative from the Chinese Ambassador also attended the ceremony and hopes for new developments in Japan-China relations. 2 new birds will be presented to Japan on the 17th. [Jiji]

Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko attended the first Toki release in 2008.

Sankei gallery

ETA:
ETA: Princess Mako attended the crested ibis (Toki) release on October 15th.

11 birds were released from 19 birds born in various facilities such as Sado Toki Protection Center and Tokyo Animal Park. Those selected for release had acquired the ability to fly high and fast and to catch bait. Due to environmental deterioration and overfishing, native Toki became extinct in Japan in 2003. Captive bred birds from China were reintroduced to Japan in 2008.

Photos: Asahi, Sankei galleries

Princess Mako also visited Sado Kinzan (Sado mine) which is aiming to become a World Cultural Heritage Site.
Photo: Kyodo News

NOTE: Clicking the main photo in Sankei will open a gallery. Sankei's new layout doesn't indicate single vs. multiple photos anymore. I hope they change it.

Last edited:

Princess Mako celebrates her 27th birthday today, October 23, and was seen arriving at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Princess Kako attended a national competition of Seinen-no-Shucho, an essay contest of young people to deliver their opinions, in Tokyo today, November 11:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Last edited:
On December 29th, Princess Kako visited Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko for greetings on her 24th birthday.

Princess Kako, granddaughter of Emperor Akihito, turns 24 - The Mainichi
[...] The princess, who performs official duties while studying at the International Christian University in Tokyo, has drawn attention to the kind of activities she will engage in after she graduates next year.

She has been busy recently writing her graduation thesis, her father said last month. In June, she returned from Britain after spending nine months at the University of Leeds as an exchange student.

The young princess studied performing arts as well as psychology, her major at ICU, at the British university and spent her spring vacation in March in Portugal and Spain.

[...] Since returning home, she has attended youth events and greeted in sign language at a contest for high school students in Tottori Prefecture in October.

[...]

On February 4th, the IHA announced Prince Hisahito will attend Ochanomizu University Junior High School. The prince took the entrance exam on the 3rd and was notified of his success the next day. Other schools were considered but Prince Hisahito and his parents decided to stay within the Ochanomizu University system for now.

[-]There is an expectation he will attend a different senior high school because Ochanomizu University's high school is co-ed.[/-]

Sources: Mainichi, Sankei

ETA: fixed month

ETA: correction -> Ochanomizu University's senior high school is for girls only.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
On February 4th, the IHA announced Prince Hisahito will attend Ochanomizu University Junior High School. The prince took the entrance exam on the 3rd and was notified of his success the next day. Other schools were considered but Prince Hisahito and his parents decided to stay within the Ochanomizu University system for now.

There is an expectation he will attend a different senior high school because Ochanomizu University's high school is co-ed.

Sources: Mainichi, Sankei

ETA: fixed month

So, if I understand it correctly it is considered problematic for Hisahito to attend a co-ed school?

CORRECTION: Ochanomizu University Senior High School is for girls only. Prince Hisahito doesn't have a choice. He has to attend a different senior high school.

Prince Hisahito to enter Ochanomizu University Junior High School in April - The Mainichi
The junior high school's ratio of boys to girls is one to two. As Ochanomizu University High School is for girls only, some male students at the elementary school choose to enter other junior high schools. Ochanomizu University is also for women only.

:previous:

Perhaps he'll be sent to Gakushuin for senior high school? It is a bit surprising in my opinion that the Akishinos chose not to follow the Gakushuin tradition in light of how his parents/the IHA have taken pains to emphasize the traditional activities in his education and upbringing.

:previous:

Perhaps he'll be sent to Gakushuin for senior high school? It is a bit surprising in my opinion that the Akishinos chose not to follow the Gakushuin tradition in light of how his parents/the IHA have taken pains to emphasize the traditional activities in his education and upbringing.

They also seem to be distancing themselves as much as possible from the crown prince and his family. So maybe they don't want him to attend the school until Aiko will have left?

Before Hisahito started at Ochanomizu, every member of the Imperial family attended Gakushuin so I don't think breaking that tradition was 100% due to crown prince family or Aiko. Actually I think it's good someone from the Imperial family goes to a different school. I'm not knocking on Gakushuin; it's an excellent institution. Parents should have options though and no institution should be guaranteed royal attendance.

After Aiko's bullying incident at Gakushuin, perhaps it was a good excuse/opportunity to consider other schools and the Akishinos took the chance to send Hisahito somewhere else. Changing times/attitudes that might not have been available to Aiko or the other cousins who started at Gakushuin in the 80-90s. Princess Kiko has a PhD from Ochanomizu University so there's that connection too.

On March 15th, Prince Hisahito graduated from Ochanomizu University Elementary School. IHA released some photos of his time at school and his essay for the graduation memoirs where he reflected on experiences with nature and the history of Tokyo. Prince Hisahito attended a 3-day, 2-night school field trip to Nagano Prefecture in early March. [Jiji]

His parents, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko, attended the graduation ceremony and accompanied him for greetings with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. Prince Hisahito will enter Ochanomizu University Junior High in April.

AP Images, Getty Images, Asahi

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190315/lif1903150026-p1.jpg

Prince Hisahito graduates from elementary school in Tokyo: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] When he was being congratulated by reporters, the young prince said, “Thank you very much,” while smiling together with his parents.

The Imperial Household Agency on the same day disclosed that Hisahito had written, “Human beings are living in the world of nature,” as his graduation message that carried his signature.

The agency also released details of his essay titled, “Six years at Ochasho,” using the shortened name for the school.

In the essay, Hisahito mentioned the importance of working in a group, keeping pace with everyone else and collaborating with each other.

He wrote that he researched the histories and locally produced items of cities, towns and villages in Tokyo.

[...]

Hisahito concluded the essay with, “From now on, I want to continue living my life while valuing what I am interested in.”

Fumihito and Kiko jointly released a statement to mark their son’s graduation: “We think that (he) had a happy and fulfilling school life while being blessed with excellent friends and teachers.”
Prince Hisahito graduates from elementary school - The Mainichi
[...] In a graduation essay, Prince Hisahito looked back on his years at the elementary school, where he took part in activities such as searching for herbs and trees, as well as conducting research into Tokyo's municipalities.

"We live in the midst of nature," the prince attached a handwritten message to the essay.

According to the Imperial Household Agency, the prince was responsible for looking after the school's rabbits and flowerbeds in his final years at the institution.

He also took part in an overnight school trip to the central Japan prefecture of Nagano in early March, where he enjoyed activities such as pottery and curling.

[...]

Last edited:

Prince Hisahito and Princess Kiko visited visit Musashino Imperial Graveyard in Hachioji, Tokyo, today, March 16:

** ap gallery **

On March 15th, Prince Hisahito graduated from Ochanomizu University Elementary School. IHA released some photos of his time at school and his essay for the graduation memoirs where he reflected on experiences with nature and the history of Tokyo. Prince Hisahito attended a 3-day, 2-night school field trip to Nagano Prefecture in early March. [Jiji]

His parents, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko, attended the graduation ceremony and accompanied him for greetings with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. Prince Hisahito will enter Ochanomizu University Junior High in April.

AP Images, Getty Images, Asahi

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190315/lif1903150026-p1.jpg

Prince Hisahito graduates from elementary school in Tokyo: The Asahi Shimbun

Prince Hisahito graduates from elementary school - The Mainichi

Gosh, I didn't realise how old Prince Hisahito was already - he's a very good looking little boy! I'm sure he'll be breaking a lot of hearts in the future :D
I hope he enjoys middle school.

Princess Kako will graduate from International Christian University on March 22nd.
Source: Asahi Imperial schedule

TBS/JNN* reports there are plans for Princess Kako to visit Austria in mid-September for the 150th anniversary of Austria-Japan diplomatic relations. It will be Kako's first official overseas visit. She might also visit Hungary as it also celebrates 150 years of diplomatic relations with Japan this year. If she visits both countries, the trip will be about 10-days.

* TBS/JNN is the only one reporting this news right now. I assume it's credible as TBS/JNN is a major news network.

Last edited:
Princess Kako graduated from International Christian University on March 22nd.

Photo galleries: Mainichi (includes 2015 entrance photos), Sankei, Asahi, AP Images

Japan's Princess Kako Graduates from University | Nippon.com
[...]

According to the Imperial Household Agency, the second daughter of Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko will not move onto further education nor get a job, and instead broaden the range of official engagements as a member of the Imperial Family.

[...]

Princess Kako started majoring in psychology in her junior year and wrote her graduation thesis on the influence of memories and thoughts on people's reading skills.
ETA: Princess Kako will attend the Sankei Children's Book Award in June, an event usually attended by her mother Princess Kiko. [Sankei]

IHA released Princess Kako's written answers to press questions: Japanese Mainichi has full version (Google translation)

Summary:
- wishes for her sister's happiness
- describes a typical day when her family: giving/getting advice on her parents' duties, watches TV and plays with Prince Hisahito, carefree time and laughter with siblings, chats with Princess Mako about each other's day
- refrains from commenting on declining Imperial family members
- "In addition to my sister's [postponement], I have always felt that when I receive information from the media etc, I think it is important to carefully consider the reliability of the information and the intention of sending information. Through this case, I once again feel the importance of firmly thinking in a society full of information."

Princess Kako wishes for sister's happiness on graduation - The Mainichi
[...] The princess commented on the postponement of the marriage between her sister Princess Mako, 27, and Kei Komuro following reports that Komuro's family is involved in a financial dispute. "I would like my sister's wishes to be met, as I believe the important detail is how they feel about each other," she said.

On her own marriage prospects, the princess wrote, "I wish to get married in time, at a point that isn't too late. My ideal partner would be someone with whom I can be relaxed."

[...]

"I feel grateful that I could lead a wonderful school life," she said.

[...]

"It is not about what I want to do, but about addressing the official duties that have been asked of me," she said. "I do have dreams, but I would like to keep them to myself."

Asked about the abdication of Emperor Akihito, 85, on April 30 and the ascension to the Chrysanthemum Throne of Crown Prince Naruhito, 59, on May 1, the princess said she would be as supportive as possible as she performs her royal duties.

[...]
Princess Kako graduates from university - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...] The princess majored in psychology. Her graduation thesis was about reading comprehension ability, based on experiments involving about 30 people.

She also studied performing arts and psychology as an exchange student at a British university for about nine months.

The princess reportedly hopes to continue her activities as a member of the Imperial family, making use of what she has studied.

She's expected to visit Austria and Hungary for about 10 days in September, for her first official visit abroad.

Last edited:
Princess Kako graduates, addresses media furor over sister: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] She is scheduled to attend a national sporting event for disabled people in October in Ibaraki Prefecture.

In the statement, Kako also thanked her older sister, Princess Mako, for “having always been on my side.”

[...]

“I hope my sister’s wish as a private individual comes true,” Kako said in the statement.

She also urged people to be cautious about the streams of information available from various sources in this day and age.

“This is not limited to my sister’s case, but I have always felt that it is important to consider the credibility of information and intention of disseminating it before accepting the information from the media and others,” she said. “I have a renewed realization for the importance of thinking well in a society brimming with information.”

On her own marriage, Kako said in the statement, “It would be nice to be wed before it becomes too late.”

But she shut down a question on whether she has someone in mind.

“I have no intention of answering that now and in the future,” she said.
ETA: On March 24th, Princess Mako and Princess Kako attended the Chiba Prefecture Youth Orchestra performance at Suntory Hall in Tokyo.

Mainichi, Sankei, AP galleries

Last edited:
Last edited:
Summary:
- wishes for her sister's happiness
- describes a typical day when her family: giving/getting advice on her parents' duties, watches TV and plays with Prince Hisahito, carefree time and laughter with siblings, chats with Princess Mako about each other's day
In the statement, Kako also thanked her older sister, Princess Mako, for “having always been on my side.”

:previous: Her comments reflect a very tight-knit family – a glaringly different image than the one received from her parents more or less saying on Prince Akishino's birthday that they hadn't spoken with Mako and were wondering why she has been feeling gloomy since her wedding was suspended (!).

According to the Imperial Household Agency, the second daughter of Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko will not move onto further education nor get a job, and instead broaden the range of official engagements as a member of the Imperial Family.

"It is not about what I want to do, but about addressing the official duties that have been asked of me," she said. "I do have dreams, but I would like to keep them to myself."

On her own marriage, Kako said in the statement, “It would be nice to be wed before it becomes too late.”

- refrains from commenting on declining Imperial family members

:previous: I would say she had no need to answer the question explicitly. Announcing that

- her soon to be full time official duties will not permit her to enroll in graduate school or launch a career,
- it is not her preference but her duty,
- she would like to be married but possibly will need to delay marriage until it is too late,
- she is going to keep her dreams and wants to herself,

put "her" (actually her family's) state of mind about the declining number of royals in no doubt.

TBS/JNN* reports there are plans for Princess Kako to visit Austria in mid-September for the 150th anniversary of Austria-Japan diplomatic relations. It will be Kako's first official overseas visit. She might also visit Hungary as it also celebrates 150 years of diplomatic relations with Japan this year. If she visits both countries, the trip will be about 10-days.

* TBS/JNN is the only one reporting this news right now. I assume it's credible as TBS/JNN is a major news network.

ETA: Princess Kako will attend the Sankei Children's Book Award in June, an event usually attended by her mother Princess Kiko. [Sankei]

So Princess Kako will be hitting the ground running! I agree with her belief that her education in psychology will enrich her work as a royal, and I hope and believe she will do brilliantly.

Princess Kako started majoring in psychology in her junior year and wrote her graduation thesis on the influence of memories and thoughts on people's reading skills.

Her thesis sounds fascinating. Does anyone know what other royals wrote their theses about?

Seeing as the articles point out her transfer from Gakushuin to ICU, is this kind of transfer out of the ordinary for Japanese? I am under the impression that all of the Akishinos are rather determined and willful, and it would not surprise me if Princess Kako made the decision even if was an unusual one, in order to follow her personal focus.

Last edited:
Maybe the marriage postponement is taboo. There's probably tension between Mako and the parents.

The question about declining family members has been asked before. CP Naruhito got the question at one of his birthday press conferences; it’s customary be vague or refrain from answering as it’ll be seen as being political.

Princess Kako had the same sentiment about official duties when she turned 20.
"I should fulfill my duties and put value in every work I receive rather than focus on whether I am interested in it," the princess said at a customary pre-birthday news conference."
https://www.japanbullet.com/news/princess-kako-turns-20-vows-to-give-her-best-in-official-duties

Kako could go to graduate school or get a job if she wanted to. It’s fine she considers her academic life finished and will take on public service. Former Princess Noriko did not go to graduate school or get a job after graduating from Gakushuin University. Although Princess Yoko worked for the Japanese Red Cross for 6 years, she has been on public service since late 2012. A job is tricky as Japan's royals can't enter the regular job market. Basically limited to NPOs or academia.

I don’t know if transferring is common. When I visited Japan in February, I met a Japanese-American who has been teaching there for 6-7 years. He said the Japanese place great value on finishing a journey/goal/task once started. Japanese articles use “drop out” instead of “transfer” when describing Kako leaving Gakushuin and going to ICU. Princess Tsuguko probably got more flak as she “dropped out” twice (Gakushuin Women’s College and University of Edinburgh) before graduating from Waseda University.

I guess Princess Kako will open the National Sports Festival for Disabled People in October? CP Naruhito usually opens the festival and Princess Hisako closes it. The event should be one of Prince Akishino's duties as Koshi.

Last edited:
On April 8th, Prince Hisahito attended the entrance ceremony for Ochanomizu University Junior High School with his parents.

Photos: Getty Images, Asahi, Mainichi

Prince Hisahito attends entrance ceremony for junior high school - Kyodo News+
[...] The son of Prince Fumihito and Princess Kiko [...] made a pledge as a representative of about 110 new students at the ceremony, saying, "We'd like to develop our individual abilities and broaden our possibilities and perspectives."

[...]

"From now on, I'd like to lead a fulfilling student life," the young prince, clad in a navy blue uniform, told reporters before the ceremony, which was attended by his parents. [...]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom