Princesses Mako, Kako and Prince Hisahito Current Events 1: July 2005 - April 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
Princess Mako attended the memorial service and was dressed in accordance with the protocol. The Japanese Imperial court strictly adheres to the protocol.

One might find attires worn by Imperial Princesses outdated. At the same time, I am sure that clothes are made from the finest silk/wool/cotton available. This is the most important thing for me. Unlike their western counterparts, Japanese Imperial Princesses are not the walking advertisement for any fashion label.

Last edited:
I agree. The IHA is a conservative organization and seems to have settled on a 1960s "uniform" when the Imperial women are on duty. Lots of skirt suits; nothing too tight or short; lower heels; hats, gloves, and pearl/diamond jewelry. Some individuality is allowed (Empress' cape features, CP Masako's pant suits) and the occasional variation (Princess Nobuko once wore a drape dress with a bigger, fluffy hat and higher heels).

There are photos of the Imperial women in contemporary clothing when off duty.

Princess Mako will be working at the University of Tokyo Museum. Google translation is kinda weird but you get the gist:

"Prince Akishino and his wife of the eldest daughter, Mako recommendation has been appointed to the researcher of the University of Tokyo Museum. Mako-sama is 1 date, it has been appointed to the Researcher of the University Museum, The University of Tokyo. Mako recommendation has been submitted to the public offering of the museum side. Sew the interval of the public service are studied, such as biological specimens about three times a week, it will be paid salary"

Source is the longer caption at this ANN news video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AqnDqW9-xA

On May 14th, Princess Mako attended the 26th forest and festival of flowers "Thanksgiving of Green" ceremony in Tokyo. She represented her father Prince Akishino, who is Honorary President and currently in Italy. At the greeting speech, she expressed condolences for the victims of the Kumamoto earthquake.

Articles and videos:
jiji.com
fnn-news
news.tbs.co.jp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5UNBVpJXI

On May 18th, Princess Mako visited the seabed research vessel "Enlightened" anchored at Tokyo's Ariake pier. She visited the steering room, rang the deck's bell, and observed samples taken from the seabed.

Source: mainichi
mainichi's photo gallery

On May 28th, Princess Mako visited an exhibit about fantasy novels of Naoko's Kamibashi. Some of her works (including Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit) have been adapted to anime, manga, radio, and an NHK drama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilhepycJDyU
ETA: I loved the Guardian of the Spirit anime. Highly recommended, even for non-anime fans.

Last edited:
The IHA announced it is considering sending Princess Mako on a 10-day visit to Paraguay in early September. The visit commemorates the 80th anniversary of Japanese immigration. If finalized, it will be the second foreign trip for Princess Mako following the El Salvador and Honduras visit last December.

Source: mainichi

On June 15th, the IHA announced Princess Mako has been appointed president of the Japan Crafts Association, which "advances the protection and development of traditional craft technology". She is the 3rd generation of the Imperial family to hold the position, following the organization's founder Prince Takamatsu and then Prince Katsura. The position has been vacant since 2014. Princess Mako majored in art and cultural property research.

Sources: Sankei and Mainichi

Masters in museum studies, and a researcher at the University museum in Tokyo, it definitely seems like a perfect pairing for her.

The family impresses me with the high importance they put on education. Both Mako's parents hold PHD's, her father in ornithology and her mother in psychology.

Princess Mako has enrolled at the International Christian University's (ICU) Graduate School's Doctoral program, aiming for a PhD in Arts and Sciences in the field of comparative culture, and will start in September. She already has a Master's degree in Museum Studies from Leicester University and will continue working as a researcher for the University of Tokyo's University Museum.

Sources: Asahi, Mainichi, Sankei

Last edited:
What is her area of research at the University of Tokyo?

Mainichi mentions she's working in the "Inter-media tech" facility.

From Huffingtonpost Japan's article on Princess Mako's appointment:
" Inter-Media Tech " (IMT), the academic culture comprehensive museum in Tokyo Marunouchi of JP Tower. Japan Post and the University Museum, The University of Tokyo is operated in cooperation , the University of Tokyo in 1877 of its establishment of the animal that has been accumulated from the time of the skeleton and stuffed animals, minerals, insects, the Museum specimens of natural history, cultural history and industrial products It is permanent exhibition.

Last edited:
Princess Mako will visit Paraguay from September 6-16 for events commemorating the 80th anniversary of Japanese immigration. She will meet with immigrants and the main settlements. Prince Akishino attended the 70th anniversary in 2006.

Source: Mainichi

ETA: https://imperialfamilyjapan.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/this-weeks-extras-43/
On 8th August, HIH Princess Mako of Akishino attended the banquet held by the ambassador of Republic of Paraguay took place at the ambassador’s residence in Tokyo.

ETA2: Asahi reports she'll also stop by Germany and Brazil.

Last edited:
On August 27th, Princess Mako attended the 33rd National High School Sign Language Speech contest. She signed the greeting and watched the 10 speeches. A second year student from Kumamoto Prefecture won the contest. Princess Kiko attended in previous years and Princess Mako attended for the first time alone in 2014. Princesses Kiko and Kako attended in 2015.

Photos/info at Asahi, Sankei
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRv-kEWkB6k

Princess Mako made the customary visits prior to a foreign visit. On August 29th, she visited the Musashino Mausoleum. On September 2nd, she visited the Three Palace Sanctuaries (Kashiko-dokoro) and Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace.

Sankei Imperial Weekly #450 page 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99WHdki8hMw

ETA: Sankei's special report ahead of Prince Hisahito's 10th birthday on September 6th. Large photo gallery below the text.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Prince Hisahito celebrates his 10th birthday on September 6th and the IHA has released photos, video, and info.
Asahi 1 (2-min video with bigger photo gallery)
Asahi 2 (3 photos)
A summary using Google translate:
  • Self-directed learning is in full swing from the fourth grade. 2nd semester started Sep. 1st
  • Participated vigorously in after-school play with friends and dodge disc and large jump rope
  • He walks the perimeter of his home (near Akasaka)
  • In June, Prince Hisahito climbed Mt. Takao with friends
  • He loves growing vegetables and rice under the guidance of officials. Harvested potatoes, tomatoes, and green beans are sometimes served at family dinners
As the 3rd-in-line to the throne, his education policy and public appearances are drawing attention.
  • Princess Kiko and Prince Hisahito often visit Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko
  • In August, he accompanied his parents to Niigata Prefecture to view restored dwellings and pottery from the Jomon period
  • He attended exhibits on WWII, including the Battle of Okinawa
  • Unlike the Crown Prince's household which has about 50 people, Prince Akishino's household has about 20 people for 3 children but no chamberlain or court physician.
  • IHA requested 1 additional staff for Prince Hisahito's care in the next fiscal budget
  • Tokoro Isao Professor Emeritus at Kyoto Sangyô University says a special curriculum such as political science, ethics, and history will be constructed similar to Emperor Akihito and CP Naruhito's instruction.
ANN has a shorter video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqWJ44LSBJE

Last edited:
I wonder whether Princess Aiko is getting the same attention as her cousin?:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder whether Princess Aiko is getting the same attention as her cousin?:whistling:

I doubt it. Succession isn't going to change at this point. Prince Hisahito will be the future emperor. His meetings with the Imperial couple reminds me of Prince William's meetings with Queen Elizabeth II when William was at Eton. If CP Naruhito decides to share his instruction with Aiko, then that's their business.

I hope the government will eventually allow women to stay in the Imperial Family and start their own branches. There are various reports about how a shrinking Imperial House can handle the many duties in the future. However, change is slow. :ermm:

On September 6th, Princess Mako departed for Paraguay on a civil aircraft. The 80th anniversary of Japanese immigration ceremony is on the 9th. She'll also visit Iguazu Falls in Argentina.

Info/photos at Sankei, Asahi, news.biglobe.ne.jp

Last edited:

Probably not.
It is well-known that Hisahito was born to provide a male heir for the succession. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

However, I think Aiko is better off if she is not in the succession. She will have a better degree of personal freedom, like her female cousins, while Hisahito will be hemmed in by the constraints of imperial tradition.

Prince Hisahito celebrates his 10th birthday on September 6th and the IHA has released photos, video, and info.(..)

Thank you for the summary. I hope that Hisahito will be taught by his grandfather's example.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome! :)

Prince Hisahito and Princess Kiko arriving at the Imperial Palace for the customary birthday greeting: photo

ETA: better photos on Getty Images via Kyodo News
1 2

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Last edited:
:previous: More details of Princess Mako's agenda:
Besides her agenda in Asuncion, Mako will visit Japanese communities in rural Paraguay, the Japanese Embassy said.

The first official act of Mako's visit will be laying a wreath at Independence Hall in the capital.

On Thursday, the princess will meet President Horacio Cartes at Mburuvicha Roga palace and receive the keys to the city from Asuncion Mayor Mario Ferreiro.

Princess Mako will preside over Friday's commemoration of the 80th anniversary of the arrival of a group of Japanese farmers in 1936.
Princess Mako commemorates Japanese migration to Paraguay | Fox News Latino

ETA: arrival video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE5WTItwY60

Last edited:
The princess will be in Paraguay until Tuesday 13 September. Mako, by protocol, does not give statements to the press, and in some cases, photographs are restricted.

In a ceremony at the Silvio Pettirossi International Airport, Her Imperial Highness was received by Deputy Foreign Minister Oscar Cabello national Sarubbi. They exchanged a few words in English, and then, Princess of Japan was greeted by members of the Nikkei Community. Spain's ambassador in Tokyo, Naoyuki Toyotoshi, born in Japan and naturalized Paraguayan, also gave his greetings to Her Imperial Highness.

Deputy foreign minister said that "no country has been visited by the Japanese imperial family as Paraguay", which confirms the close relationship between Paraguay and Japan. He said that not just a political, economic rapprochement and cooperation, but rather of an emotional relationship.
[...]
Asked if the Japanese Princess brings a message of his grandfather, Emperor Akihito, Cabello said "brings a message of friendship and recognition". "The Paraguay at a difficult time for Japan, at the end of World War II, was one of the first countries to Japanese immigration; we have it welcomed with open arms, "he said.
Mako agradece al Paraguay por recibir a los inmigrantes japoneses hace 80 años - Edicion Impresa - ABC Color

Princess Mako participated Thursday in the morning of an artistic celebration in the Japanese Paraguayan Center in Mburucuyá neighborhood of Asuncion, as part of the second day of official visit to our country. In her speech in Japanese and translated into Castilian, thanked the gesture of the intendant Mario Ferreiro to hand over the keys of the city of Asuncion.

"I express my thanks for heart celebrating this great act of welcome and the warm words that I received from the mayor of Asuncion, Mario Ferreiro. I am very grateful to receive the key to the city, which is a symbol of friendship of the city of Asuncion and Asunceno people, "said the princess. At another point she said she was happy to visit Asunción and [hopes] even more lapacho flowers continue to adorn the capital. "I am pleased to visit this beautiful land in this beautiful time when the beautiful lapacho flowers bloom" she confessed.
Mako: "Aguyje" y lapachos - Nacionales - ABC Color

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom