The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Kiko's daughter Mako returns from homestay in Austria
......................She returned to her residence in Tokyo around 9 a.m. and met with her pregnant mother Princess Kiko, who was to be admitted to a hospital in Tokyo later in the day to prepare for a Caesarian-section delivery in early September.The third-year junior high school student stayed at the home of Norbert and Gabriele Orac in the suburbs of Vienna from Aug. 3 through Tuesday. Princess Kiko's father Tatsuhiko Kawashima has been friends with the couple since the Kawashimas lived in Vienna about 30 years ago. During her homestay, the princess visited museums and a palace and strolled around the woods near the capital. She also rode horses and cooked at the couple's residence.
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060816/kyodo/d8jh9ct80.html

Princess Mako returned home to Tokyo on Aug. 16, 2006.
Photo of her arriving at Narita Airport
#1: JIJI press
#2: Sankei web
#3: NNN news
#4: www.yuko2ch.net

Old 08-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Aristocracy

Seeing that expression today on her face came as a shock to me after all the smiling she did while on vacation. I guess it's back to business for her.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Serene Highness

Wow -- does she look like her dad! I think her eyes are the same shape as Akishino's. And as for her expression -- they must be socialized in concealing emotion because she does have that neutral expression again.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Commoner

Does anyone notice all the royal children of Japan has very strong and simiar facial features? It is simply because they have married their co-royal first and second cousins for generations and they have never really brought outside bloodline until Empress Michiko. Two generations of marrying commoner will not wipe out the royal features which was build up over 2600 years of history.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

My translation of news from Asahi news
Princess Mako was greeted by her family upon her arrival back home at the Akishino Residence within the Akasaka Palace grounds. The family took a photograph together to remember this special moment upon Mako's arrival from her 1st solo overseas trip.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Pity that it was so short
Old 08-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I'm amazed watching the pics of the Princess arriving to Austria, staying there for a while and turning back to Japan. In the first set of photos, she seemed to be extremely sad or sacerd. In Austria she was ahppy and relaxed...and now, arriving to her country, her face was the one of someone who must go to a funeral. What is going on here? :unhappy:

Princess masako seems no to be happy of going back to home and this is not natural. In all the trips I made, I was always happy to be able of seeing my old friends and family again. But maybe it is not of it, and simply is the "Imperial Way" in japan and I'm totally wrong, and the Princess is perfectly happy.

I read in the book "Pivot of The Universe", by Abbas Amanat (it's a biography of the Persian Shah's Nasser-es-Dinh, from Qajar dynasty) that it was custommary in some not European Royal Houses, to ask to princes not to show any expression of joy, nor even to smile in front of persons that were not family or very close friends. This was required to show a perfect "Royal or Imperial face", something similar to a mask with no emotion on them. Royals must be beyond all this. Emotions were said to be "too commoner". Egyptian ancient Pharaos must act this way, and for the same reasons, as Inca's in Peru or Chinese Monarchs.

Then, maybe Princess mako is not sad, nor scared and we are judging her very harshly.

However I still have a complain about her: this awful "Orphan Annie" dress returned in one of the sets of photos that Mandyy posted! Poor girl! She is much more beatiful (and she is beatiful, indeed) without it!

Vanesa.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Commoner

I think her expressions in the photos could be misread. Leaving home alone to travel to another country would make anyone scared. But think about this-maybe her smiling or not smiling has to do with other things. Leaving and returning home, she was probably swarmed by media and very nervous or maybe even shy. The ones during her vacation were probably taken by a single person. It can be hard to smile when you know so many people are swarming and staring at you.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyy
My translation of news from Asahi news
Princess Mako was greeted by her family upon her arrival back home at the Akishino Residence within the Akasaka Palace grounds. The family took a photograph together to remember this special moment upon Mako's arrival from her 1st solo overseas trip.
Below is the photo I believe Asahi news was reporting about
from www.yuko2ch.net
Old 08-28-2006, 10:33 AM

off-topic: when was this picture taken? her hairstyle looks different, almost like.. a normal layered japanese hair. O.O usually her hairstyles are with bangs or no bangs.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

from www.yuko2ch.net
#1: photo of Mrs. Bush holding baby Mako when she and the president visited Japan shortly after Mako was born
#2: cute photo of Mako bowing
#4: Photo of Mako and Kako bidding farewell to Empress Nagako during the Empress' funeral
Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Nobility

Such darling girls and I love their names the first time I heard them I thought 'how sweet'!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

These girls are adorable..and when they were toddlers, they were such pair of darlings!

Vanesa.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 AM
Serene Highness

Princesses Kako and Mako are lovely girls. Mako seems similar to Kiko, while Kako looks more like Akishino, especially her eyebrows are like her dad's. I wonder what their names mean in Japanese. I only know that the part of their name -ko means 'child' in Japanese.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 10-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Yes! I never notice that, Lakshmi...One of the girls is the spitting image of her father, and the other the one of h mother...I wonder to whom Prince Hisahito is similar in physical features.

Vanesa
Old 10-31-2006, 05:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi
Princesses Kako and Mako are lovely girls. Mako seems similar to Kiko, while Kako looks more like Akishino, especially her eyebrows are like her dad's. I wonder what their names mean in Japanese. I only know that the part of their name -ko means 'child' in Japanese.

Mako inherited her parents' bad looking features while Kako inherited her parents' good features.

Mako means "trueful". Kako means "excellence".
Old 11-14-2006, 03:20 AM

Nov. 12, 2006

http://www.toonippo.co.jp/news_kyo/n...2010001471.asp
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 AM

I think Mako looks really cute.

while Kako looks pretty.

Thank-you for those?
- Georgie.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyberiaWinx
I think her expressions in the photos could be misread. Leaving home alone to travel to another country would make anyone scared. But think about this-maybe her smiling or not smiling has to do with other things. Leaving and returning home, she was probably swarmed by media and very nervous or maybe even shy. The ones during her vacation were probably taken by a single person. It can be hard to smile when you know so many people are swarming and staring at you.

It's true having t face the media in huge masses like that can be scarey.
I suppose what she could have liked in Austria was that yes she was treated with the highest respect but she could have still been treated normally,
instead of in Japan where everyone know's she's a princess and the media will follow every single thing she does.
Can be very intimidating.
- Georgie.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Living in a different country than yours, hearing people speaking in a language you don't understand and being so far from your own family ,could be sufficiently scary for a young girl, even if she is not a princess. I think that she was a little afraid of being alone in a foreign country, like myself would have been also scared having her age.

Vanesa,

Tags
hisahito, prince hisahito, princess kako, princess mako