The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia
Prince Akishino's wife, Princess Kiko, is three months pregnant and is expected to give birth in late September, Imperial Household Agency announced officially 22 February. The Princess does not want to know the sex of the baby.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...4-043929-5449r
The math isn't adding up in this statement. Three months ago would be end of November -- nine months from that would be end of August.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Japanese palace slams media over princess' pregnancy
The news that Princess Kiko, the wife of Emperor Akihito's second son, is pregnant, possibly with the family's first male heir to the throne in four decades, has triggered a rash of magazine articles about the happenings inside the moat.
But now the secretive palace has had enough. In an unusually harsh statement, the Imperial Household Agency on Thursday accused unidentified magazines of printing errors and urged them to stop it......................
http://english.pravda.ru/news/world/24-02-2006/76461-Japanese-0

Royal pregnancy raises male heir hopes in Japan

TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) -- Japan formally announced that the wife of Emperor Akihito's second son is pregnant with her third child on Friday, raising hopes a male heir to the Chrysanthemum throne may be born for the first time in four decades.
Princess Kiko is three months pregnant and in good health, the Imperial Household Agency said in a statement.
The agency also urged media to exercise "good sense and restraint" in reporting about the princess, who will turn 40 on September 11 and is due to give birth that same month.........................The Imperial Household Agency, which had previously said only that Kiko was "showing signs" of pregnancy, criticized media for breaking the news before father-to-be Prince Akishino had been notified and at a time when there was a risk of miscarriage.
"Utterly unthinkable and inconsiderate coverage directed at one pregnant woman has continued daily since then, and it is truly regrettable that because of that Princess Kiko has suffered an unnecessary mental burden," said the statement............................
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc...ion=cnn_latest

Pregnancy Could Calm Male Heir Worries in Japan
TOKYO, Feb. 24, 2006 — For several years, Japan's royal family has been facing an Armageddon of sorts. Ancient tradition and an imperial succession law mandate that only males ascend to the throne, but Japan's royals are running out of males.
Now comes word of a new royal pregnancy that could save the male-only tradition, just as the Japanese were getting used to the idea of an empress — specifically 4-year-old Princess Aiko, the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako...........................
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Internatio...C-RSSFeeds0312

Princess Kiko expected to give birth in September
................................"Their Imperial Highnesses do not feel that they want to know the sex of the child until birth," he said. (Mainichi)
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na024000c.html

LEAD: Princess Kiko 3 months pregnant, to give birth in late Sept.: agency
Princess Kiko, the wife of Emperor Akihito's second son Prince Akishino, is three months pregnant and is expected to give birth in late September, the Imperial Household Agency said Friday...............
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060224/kyodo/d8fv7jrg5.html

Japan to remain in suspense on sex of princess’s child
TOKYO - Japan will remain in suspense until September on whether it will have another male heir to the throne as a pregnant princess does not want prenatal tests on the fetus’s sex, a palace doctor said on Friday......................
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...ction=theworld

Old 02-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Video news about the official announcement of the pregnancy (links expires soon)
#1: ANN news- http://meta.cdn.yahoo-streaming.jp/c...1&media=wm300k
#2: TBS news- http://meta.cdn.yahoo-streaming.jp/c...1&media=wm300k
#3: FNN news- http://meta.cdn.yahoo-streaming.jp/c...1&media=wm300k
#4: NNN news- http://meta.cdn.yahoo-streaming.jp/c...0&media=wm300k
#5: NHK news
#6: HOLA

Official announcement release from the Imperial Household Agency

皇室医務主管記者会見要旨
 文仁親王(秋篠宮)妃紀子殿下には,ご懐妊のご模様につき拝診したところ,妊娠3ヶ月目との診断であり,これまでのご経過は順調であります。関係の方々のお喜びはいかばかりかと拝察いたします。

さる2月7日,このご慶事が一報道機関のスクープという思いがけない形で明らかになり,宮内庁としても急遽発表せざるを得なくなったことについては,先に宮内庁長官が談話で遺憾の意を表わしたところです。天皇皇后両陛下,文仁親王殿下すらが,テレビのテロップを見た人々からの通報でご懐妊をご承知になるという結果になりました。
 この日の検査は,ご流産の可能性の方がやや高い中での,ご検査であり,1週間前の診断でそのことを知らされていらした妃殿下は,多大なご不安を持ってこれに臨まれました。しかもご検査終了後,しかるべき方々へのご報告がなされる時間的余裕もないまま,報道がなされたということに,妃殿下が如何に驚かれ動揺を覚えられたかは想像に難くありません。さらにそれ以来今日まで,懐妊された一女性に向けられたものとは到底思えぬ,こころない報道が毎日のようになされる状態が続いています。こうした事態によって,妃殿下に無用な精神的ご負担をお与えしていることは,誠に遺憾であります。
 妃殿下の,これまでの2回のご懐妊・ご出産は極めて順調でした。従って,今回の3回目のご懐妊も順調であることを願っております。けれども,今回のご懐妊は,30代後半でのご出産という初めてのご経験ですから,それに向けた様々なお心構えが必要になりますし,ご不安も多いことと拝察いたします。ですから,順調なご出産をお迎え頂くためには,身体的にも精神的にも安寧で健やかな日々をお送り頂くことがもっとも大切なことであります。そのような観点から,報道関係者の良識と配慮を期待します。
平成18年2月24日:宮内庁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20060224-00000023-ann-soci-thumb-000.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	230037   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060224-00000703-fnn-soci-thumb-000.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	230039   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060224-00000028-nnn-soci-thumb-001.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	230040   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060224000065002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	230041  

Attached Images

Old 02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Commoner

The Japanese au pair that we have staying with us is fascinated by this latest development. She believes that the Imperial Family must have pressured Princess Kiko into this pregnancy "the same way they made the Crown Princess crazy"

It seems pretty drastic to me but over the years with 3 different Japanese young women living with us, I have to say that Japanese society does have gender equality issues much worse than the US. On the surface, I bet the Imperial Family is ok with an Empress....but the same court members that have been blaming the Crown Princess for the lack of a male heir (hello! McFly!!! It's the guy who determines the gender!!) are probably desperate to make sure that Princess Aiko does not become empress.

Debby
Old 02-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Since this is the time when Aiko should start Empress training if she's going to do so, you'd think they'd go ahead and do a gender test on the foetus so they know what's what.

I assume the delay is to give public opinion some time to come round to the "don't let's bother with reform" state of mind so that when the boy is born, their work will be half done already.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Aristocracy

*grumbles*

I feel like writing Mr Koizumi a letter. Not that I think it would make a difference or anything, but at least I'll feel that I did something.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlws92
The Japanese au pair that we have staying with us is fascinated by this latest development. She believes that the Imperial Family must have pressured Princess Kiko into this pregnancy "the same way they made the Crown Princess crazy"
I wouldn't be surprised if they did pressure Kiko into another pregnancy. I just hope that they don't indirectly mistreat her if the chips don't fall in their favor.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kiko fit, ready for fall birth
.................It said plans are in place for the 39-year-old princess to deliver the baby at the Imperial Household Agency hospital in Tokyo. Meantime, Masao Nakabayashi, a director of the Aiiku Hospital of the Maternal and Child Health Center who heads a team of doctors caring for Kiko, told a news conference Friday that he examined the princess at her home and confirmed her condition as stable...........................
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-...602250210.html
Old 02-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Courtier

Oh, so Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko don't want to know the gender of their new baby. Very proper. It's their child, no matter if a boy or girl, and that's the important thing. :)

Kindness is the magic elixir of love - The Practice of Kindness
Old 02-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica17
Oh, so Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko don't want to know the gender of their new baby. Very proper. It's their child, no matter if a boy or girl, and that's the important thing. :)
I certainly agree it is their right to know or not, and more than anything, I am hoping for a healthy child. That said, you guys, I'm afraid I am very cynical about what the press releases as "official" and what is really going on. I personally think recent photos of Akishino look like he is the cat who has swallowed the canary -- I am just sure they know it is a boy.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Courtier

I think alot of members will agree that this pregnacy is rather fishy given the circumstances surrounding the IH lack of an heir. That being said, i'm almost positive that the IHA wouldn't risk this 3 pregnacy unless they knew for sure it's a boy and i'm pretty sure it'll be a boy. There's too much at stake.

I think overall it's so sad...the arrival of another baby should a joyous affair and not one marred by whether it's a boy.

Although i respect the tradition of the IH and the customs of the Japanese, i find the IHA disgusting and should all be fired!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
I certainly agree it is their right to know or not, and more than anything, I am hoping for a healthy child. That said, you guys, I'm afraid I am very cynical about what the press releases as "official" and what is really going on. I personally think recent photos of Akishino look like he is the cat who has swallowed the canary -- I am just sure they know it is a boy.

I did think that, too. It's really a murky matter. And all bec. of the IHA and the conservatives. Having a baby is great, but the circumstances are certainly not.... normal.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza
I think alot of members will agree that this pregnacy is rather fishy given the circumstances surrounding the IH lack of an heir. That being said, i'm almost positive that the IHA wouldn't risk this 3 pregnacy unless they knew for sure it's a boy and i'm pretty sure it'll be a boy. There's too much at stake.

I think overall it's so sad...the arrival of another baby should a joyous affair and not one marred by whether it's a boy.

Although i respect the tradition of the IH and the customs of the Japanese, i find the IHA disgusting and should all be fired!
I agree...... the IHA is certainly powerful and they can do what they want or think what is right. And Japan is certainly rich and advanced, so anything is possible.

Your last thought (all the IHA staff and officials being fired) is... impossible. I wonder how it became so powerful... But I'm not giving up on miracles yet. :)

Old 02-28-2006, 05:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica17
That's the official version of the story, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a month or two, everyone know the sex of the child.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

My bet is that the Imperial Household Agency knows its gender, regardless of the wishes of the baby's parents.

The Japanese royals don't seem to have much control over their living conditions, let alone their destinies.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
My bet is that the Imperial Household Agency knows its gender, regardless of the wishes of the baby's parents.

The Japanese royals don't seem to have much control over their living conditions, let alone their destinies.

I completely agree. It's a real shame that this day and age there is such pressure to have the "right" kind of child. Poor Masako and Aiko!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namie
I really hope Princess Kiko's baby is a boy. I don't want to see the succession law changed just because the Crown Princess cannot produce an heir. This is tradition down the drain. It should be an Emperor on the throne. The succession law should only be changed if there is no choice.
I don't agree with you at all, you have to remember that PM had a 'nervous breakdown' due to all the pressure she was put on to have a boy!!!! The sex of a baby is NEVER a guarantee which is why Japan NEEDS to change its sucession laws.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Commoner

Ancient succession-laws

If you go WAY back in japanese history I read somewhere that the throne used to pass through the female line and the man becoming emperor only did so on basis of marrying the heiress to the throne.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maud Alexandra
If you go WAY back in japanese history I read somewhere that the throne used to pass through the female line and the man becoming emperor only did so on basis of marrying the heiress to the throne.
Japan used to be Semi-Salic, all the sovereign have been on the male-line. Females reign if there are no suitable male heirs, but they never really passed on the throne to their descendants because they usually were childless and umarried, or they would abdicate in favor of a new male heir. It wasn't until Meiji's Restoration that they banned females from ruling (They applied Prussian Salic Law)

There was an Empress(Gemmei) that abdicated in favor of her daughter(Gensho). But her daughter later abdicated in favor of her nephew(Shomu). But the sovereign is always a male-line child.

All the sovereign has had Emperor on their father's side. This is what most of the conservatives worry about. They would probably let Aiko reign, but they wouldn't wan't her descendants to rule.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Commoner

I do not know if already it was spoken by here...
I would like that the baby would be a boy, to vary... but I more am inclined than the baby would be a girl, therefore it is as a lesson for the imperial family, so that they accepted the women in the throne and to change the laws. Therefore so far a son was not born. This is interesting well...Well, goes to wait until the birth.

Closed Thread

Tags
hisahito, kiko, pregnancy, prince hisahito, princess akishino, princess kiko