The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Aristocracy

Technology

Toledo, it's a test tube baby! And the gender has been chosen already!

Okay maybe I'm being silly, but they are in Japan, they have giant robots already! ASIMO anyone?

Old 02-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Royal Highness

Imagine, the most technologically advanced nation in the face of the Earth and in the history of the World and still, a woman's right is still behind a man's. I'm a guy, and I'm disgusted.

Speaking of being a guy, got to log off and get into the kitchen to cook dinner for the family and cat :o

Bye for now :p

Old 02-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Imagine, the most technologically advanced nation in the face of the Earth and in the history of the World and still, a woman's right is still behind a man's. I'm a guy, and I'm disgusted.

Speaking of being a guy, got to log off and get into the kitchen to cook dinner for the family and cat :o

Bye for now :p
Damn, I can't cook lol. Later!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Aristocracy

Between the timing of the pregnancy and the earliness of the announcement, it's quite easy to think that this was intentional to prevent the proposed succession reforms from taking place. I realize we don't know what took place behind the scenes, but the mere possibility that gender manipulation could have taken place, IMO, blows me away. While I am sure that the baby - whether it is a boy or girl - will be loved by his/her parents, the thought alone that some rigid bureaucrats could go to such lengths to prevent a little, innocent girl from become empress one day is very, very sad. While I hope Kiko's child is a girl, I fear for the backlash mother and child would experience from the IHA.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
well princesses Martha Louise, Ragnild and Astrid of Norway, Pilar, Elena and Cristina (and maybe even Leonor) of Spain, Margretha, Desiree Brigitte and Christina of Sweden etc etc had the same fate, not to many years ago. So it is not that strange. And with the IHA and all the pressure it might be fortunate for them to be overlooked
Maybe so, but that doesn't make it right. Besides, this is 2006, not 1936. If a country wants to be seen as a progressive and democratic, with equal rights for all, including between males and females, then it only makes sense that the royals, the very 'symbols' of the nation should have this equality.

I do agree with one thing, though: I would not wish to be a Japanese royal.:p
Old 02-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloriana
Maybe so, but that doesn't make it right. Besides, this is 2006, not 1936. If a country wants to be seen as a progressive and democratic, with equal rights for all, including between males and females, then it only makes sense that the royals, the very 'symbols' of the nation should have this equality.

I do agree with one thing, though: I would not wish to be a Japanese royal.:p
What surprises me is that the public isn't even as strongly behind the idea of Aiko's eventual succession as it once was. I think change would have to start at the royal level for the rest of that society to transform, as well.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
What surprises me is that the public isn't even as strongly behind the idea of Aiko's eventual succession as it once was. I think change would have to start at the royal level for the rest of that society to transform, as well.
That's basically what I wrote in the Reform of Imperial Succession-thread. It has to start somewhere.:)
Old 02-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Again, Asians view tradition as something sacred and something to be preserved. Your past has a significant bearing on your future.

Now, I'm not Japanese but Filpino, but I think the main reason that the majority of Japanese were in favor of the reform before the news of Kiko's pregnancy, was because there was no choice. They didn't want to resurect the eliminated branches of the royal family nor bring back the tradition of having concubines. Since Aiko was there when there was no other alternative, then they would back a female Emperor. However, now that there's a chance to preserve the tradition with a male Emperor, they'll take that chance.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Gentry

Well, Congrats to the couple. A baby is always a source of joy. So here's wishing them a happy and sweet baby girl.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Aristocracy

First of all, congratulations to the Prince & Princess. I hope they have a healthy baby, regardless of gender.
Second, the IHA is in dire need of lessons in basic biology. Masako did not fail to have a son, Naruhito failed to give her one. And the same with the younger brother & his two daughters.
Third, I would not be surprised if Masako was to feel relief in the event Kiko has a son- the burden of being Crown Princess has almost destroyed Masako, so she might feel relieved that her own little girl would be spared the burden of being the future Empress. Thus Aiko could live a somewhat more normal life.
Fourth, I think the IHA should be abolished, and its members never allowed anywhere near the Imperial family ever again. I thought the British "grey men" were awful, but they've got nothing on this bunch.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Administrator

BMC...I totally agree with your comment regarding the IHA and the British "grey men". Isn't it funny that the people protecting and working for the royals are sometimes more "royal" than the Royal themselves?! :)

And your right, the IHA is in need of a basic biology lessons. Apparently, they think women have all the power in determing the sex of a baby but don't have the common sense to rule a country. How crazy is that?!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by agisele
It's actually not legal for parents to choose the sex of their child and from what I read in the papers today.
Well, very often we found that no law is above (what they cassify/call as) a nation emergency situation. I am still hoping that many Japanese keep rally for the reformation. Honestly, it gives me a sad by knowing that female (still) has been treath like that:(.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Courtier

I've heard from my Japanese friend that women are really treated as second class and when trying to find a job, never given the better positions as the mgmt (all males) feel it's a waste of time cos women are suppose to get married and hve babies....

Japan has a very conversative and old fashion culture and i don't think if Pss Kiko's baby is a boy, they'll con't wif the reformation, as it is, they're already dropping the subject of reformation.

As much as we all detest the IHA and it's the culture of that country and it'll never change - or at least not for a very long time.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Weekly magazine Shukanjosei features Princess Kiko's pregnancy
#1:www.shufu.co.jp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woman060228_l.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	227682  
Old 02-13-2006, 07:39 PM

I really hope Princess Kiko's baby is a boy. I don't want to see the succession law changed just because the Crown Princess cannot produce an heir. This is tradition down the drain. It should be an Emperor on the throne. The succession law should only be changed if there is no choice.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Aristocracy

I have often wondered: does Masako suffer from infertility, or does her husband?
From reading translated articles on various royal boards, the "blame" seems to fall on Masako, but I wonder if that is because it is taboo to "blame" or criticize the heir to the throne????
Old 02-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namie
I really hope Princess Kiko's baby is a boy. I don't want to see the succession law changed just because the Crown Princess cannot produce an heir. This is tradition down the drain. It should be an Emperor on the throne. The succession law should only be changed if there is no choice.
I'm sorry but this isn't the feudal era.

Also, you're wrong, there have been EIGHT reigning Empresses in the past. Two of them have reigned twice after admonishing a worthless Emperor!

They were powerful women!
Old 02-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Aristocracy

Seriously, what is the big deal about being a boy over a girl? Has it ever occure to them that a child born between Masako and the Cp must have higher IQ than the rest? Well apprently they do not give a damn about high IQ women in that country-I also think PKiko must be so eager to bore a boy just to outdo Masako, since she and her hus seem soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
happy, regardless of the long time suffering of their sis-in-law`s condition.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Aristocracy

^_^

It's definitely, very, very silly.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Aristocracy

Frankly I am appalled that a big, influential, country like Japan with a powerful economy and society would be so timid around a reform like this.

This boils down to FEAR of change. That's all.

Tags
hisahito, kiko, pregnancy, prince hisahito, princess akishino, princess kiko