The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness

Japan's inheritance issue is a very complicated issue as I think the discussion on this thread reflects -- there are suspected sibling issues, mental health issues, issues of the role of religion and the emperor, issues of societal duty over individual duty, as Charlotte has pointed out, and the issue of a very conservative Imperial household to name a few. If there is "venom" against Akishino and Kiko it is probably because Akishino has brought this on himself by some of his "venomous" remarks about his brother which, IMO, indirectly "blame the victim"... Masako. Akishino and Kiko have not had near the pressure to produce an heir nor near the pressure in terms of level of responsibility to the Imperial Family, as has been placed on the other couple. In addition, Masako spent much more time outside Japan during her formative years than did Kiko, was educated quite differently and therefore experienced much more freedom which she then had to stifle. Masako married later and had started a career and all that came to a grinding halt when Naruhito chose her as his one and only. The girl has made enormous sacrifices, not all of which are of her choosing if you look at the demands placed upon her by Japanese society. I think it was rather shallow of Akishino to take it upon himself to respond to Naruhito's remarks. I simply view it as Akishino having some ego problems. Or could it have been to ingratiate himself to the inner circle once more after he was reported caught en route to an assignation with another woman in Thailand?

Old 09-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Courtier

Maybe the reason Akishino spoke out against his brother is because he was concerned about the way the Imperial Family would be perceived around the world. And if his big ego led him to plan the birth of an heir he sure has been brilliant at it. While Naruhito was attending to his ill wife, his brother was planning a coup. While Masako was continuing to be ill, her sister-in-law was being impregnated with the possible heir to the throne. It sure came out of no where. The CP couple didn't see it coming. They were self-absorbed in their own problems. Apparently not speaking to your brother and being alienated from the family was not a good idea.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Akishino and Kiko have not had near the pressure to produce an heir nor near the pressure in terms of level of responsibility to the Imperial Family, as has been placed on the other couple.
I think that this is a really good point Emily. As many of the articles I read following Masako's miscarriage stated and in the years to follow, the stress of having a son was partly to blame for the miscarriage and then the lack of ability to conceive. As the second son, the pressure wasn't there since the assumption for many years by everyone was that Masako and Naruhito would have a son and that Akishino and Kiko could have a relatively quiet life with their daughters away from the limelight. Even if Akishino and Kiko were trying to have a third child for many years, the burden of conceiving wouldn't have been as high/strong for them as for Masako and Naruhito. Even the littlest amount of stress can make conception hard, and when you think that Masako had an entire country watching her belly, the stress and pressure must've been immense.

I know that I was never watching Kiko's belly to see if she would have a third child and when the announcement was made, it was surely a surprise for me. For all we know, Kiko could've been trying for several years now and without all the public pressure Masako has had.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Commoner

It is currently 3am in Tokyo, Japan - I wonder what time the new royal baby will be born at? I wonder what time they'll make the announcement at.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
Maybe the reason Akishino spoke out against his brother is because he was concerned about the way the Imperial Family would be perceived around the world. And if his big ego led him to plan the birth of an heir he sure has been brilliant at it. While Naruhito was attending to his ill wife, his brother was planning a coup. While Masako was continuing to be ill, her sister-in-law was being impregnated with the possible heir to the throne. It sure came out of no where. The CP couple didn't see it coming. They were self-absorbed in their own problems. Apparently not speaking to your brother and being alienated from the family was not a good idea.
Maybe you should read the threads -- your arguments are simply off the mark and lack depth. Akishino was "brilliant" at planning this? Maybe the physicians were brilliant -- and Kiko was, uh, ?brilliant to agree to go through with it -- but Akishino? I don't think so. They were all told to have more kids - this didn't come out of no where. No one was blindsided by this pregnancy.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Courtier

Maybe they'll do the c-section at 6, 7 or 8 in the morning. That's just a few hours away on U.S. eastern standard time. We should know by this evening. Perhaps 5-7pm tonight.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Maybe you should read the threads -- you're arguments are simply off the mark and lack depth. Akishino was "brilliant" at planning this? Maybe the physicians were brilliant -- and Kiko was, uh, ?brilliant to agree to go through with it -- but Akishino? I don't think so. They were all told to have more kids - this didn't come out of no where. No one was blindsided by this pregnancy.
I was simply responding to all the conspiracy theories about this conception and birth. Princess Kiko and Prince Akishino are expecting their third child. What is so terrible about it? If they have a son, what is so terrible about that? Poor, poor Masako will be left in peace. What's the problem?

And I'll bet that the CP couple were surprised by the pregnancy.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Commoner

Laviollette - come to think of it...it'll probably be on the 11 o'clock news (I'm in Toronto) because then it would be 1 pm in Japan. They are 13 hrs ahead of us.
I'm so back and forth on this issue! I want it to be a girl so that they'll change the laws but at the same time I want it to be a boy so that the pressure is taken off of Masako. I mean, if its a girl she'll have to stress about the law change.
I guess we'll soon find out!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
If Kiko has a male child then it will be over for Masako. The pressure is off so why is everyone so hostile? You're right. She and Naruhito had no control over which sex their child was born as and that's why Akishino and Kiko gave it another go; to see if they could have a male child. What's the problem? Wouldn't this make Masako's life easier or would she simply find something else to whine about?
Laviolette..to be quite honest...at least in my opinion...the only hostility is coming from you. While there are certainly members who have expressed the opinion that the succession laws should be changed, have heaped criticisms on the IHA and as a result have hoped for the birth of a girl. No one has wished harm on Kiko, Akishino or the baby. Instead you have demeaned Masako for her constant whining, her illness, her inability to have a male child and Naruhito for speaking out against the treatment of his wife. Isn't he supposed to stand up for her? Isn't that what marriage is about...a partnership?

Yes, there are tons of conspiracy theories about this birth. And yes, why shouldn't Kiko and Akishino have a third child? They are married and they can do what the please. But even you have to admit that the timing is just too suspicious. Continued harrasment and pressure on Masako to get pregnant, and all of sudden 12 years after the birth of her last child Kiko shows up pregnant. And this is not to say that this baby wouldn't or couldn't be the "late life" baby that other people have...but there are just too many concidences to ignore.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEna
Laviolette..to be quite honest...at least in my opinion...the only hostility is coming from you. While there are certainly members who have expressed the opinion that the succession laws should be changed, have heaped criticisms on the IHA and as a result have hoped for the birth of a girl. No one has wished harm on Kiko, Akishino or the baby. Instead you have demeaned Masako for her constant whining, her illness, her inability to have a male child and Naruhito for speaking out against the treatment of his wife. Isn't he supposed to stand up for her? Isn't that what marriage is about...a partnership?

Yes, there are tons of conspiracy theories about this birth. And yes, why shouldn't Kiko and Akishino have a third child? They are married and they can do what the please. But even you have to admit that the timing is just too suspicious. Continued harrasment and pressure on Masako to get pregnant, and all of sudden 12 years after the birth of her last child Kiko shows up pregnant. And this is not to say that this baby wouldn't or couldn't be the "late life" baby that other people have...but there are just too many concidences to ignore.
I have not demeaned Masako for being ill or not having a male child. But I do criticize her for what I perceive to be her whining. If she can't have another child than she can't have another child. That's not a big deal to me. But Kiko is having another child and I say good for her if she can do it. I also don't care if her pregnancy was an accident, planned or helped along with IVF. What difference does it make? That's not an issue as far as I'm concerned. This child is obviously a wanted child and Kiko glows with happiness.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Commoner

Can we all stop arguing and just wait for the end of the day when we'll actually be able to make valid points? No use in arguing until we know whether there is a Prince or Princess.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

I don't understand why they are making such a big deal about a girl possible inheriting the throne. Other countries have changed their succession laws to allow women to rule. Why can't Japan? Gone are the days where women where considered inferior to men. (Unfortunately there are some people who still think that way) I know Princess Aiko is only four years old but if she's given the chance to grow up and with the proper training I think she will make a wonderful Empress of Japan. I want Princess Kiko's baby to be a girl so they can at least consider changing the succession law but something tells me she's going to have a boy. Besides I read somewhere a while ago that a poll showed that Japanese would favour a female ruler.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Commoner

I live in the easter US...how many hours is Japan ahead of me?

I doubt a boy child would make life any easier for Masako at all. And think of the enormous pressure and protection that will be placed on this kid if it is a boy. I mean, sure, the parents will love him, but he will be the "last hope" for the traditional succession.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Japan is 13 hours ahead of the US east coast at the moment. They don't do daylight savings, so the time slips by an hour in winter.

This is my favourite way of checking the time in Japan (although it can be expensive if you get distracted by some of their items for sale!); on the dark blue band at the top of the page you'll see the local time in Osaka:

http://www.ichiroya.com/index.php
Old 09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Commoner

Anyone interested in starting an im chat to talk about the upcoming birth and other royal issues in Japan?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Courtier

When are they going to do the c-section surgery?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Kiko to give birth to third child soon
................A team of about 10 medical professionals will attend the princess during the operation, with Masao Nakabayashi, the princess' chief physician and head of the hospital, performing the Caesarean. The whole process is expected to take about an hour if it goes smoothly.
Wednesday falls in the 37th week of the princess' pregnancy and was chosen as the delivery date after taking into account the condition of her placenta and the fetus, according to the Imperial Household Agency. Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko are away in Hokkaido due to their official duties and are expected to return to Tokyo on Saturday...................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060905/kyodo/d8juvd5o0.html

A video from CNN about the tale of 2 princesses
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc...ion=cnn_latest
it's in the left hand side of the website
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Commoner

Supposedly, Wednesday morning...which it is over there, I believe.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Courtier

It's 8 am now! I wonder if the C-section has started yet?
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Commoner

Well it is 8am in Japan. They may wait to release the news though.

Tags
hisahito, kiko, pregnancy, prince hisahito, princess akishino, princess kiko