The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

Charlotte -- do you know if people besides the Imperial family use the hospital on the grounds of the Palace?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

My best wishes to the Princess for a safe delivery of a healthy baby- hopefully a little girl!!!

And if the IHA knows that the baby is a boy, why haven't they said so? Why all the suspense??? I would think they'd shout it to the heavens- it is a boy, no female Empress for Japan nyah nyah nyah

Old 08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Majesty

Knowing Akishino's views on concubines, I wouldn't be surprised if there were half a dozen or so concubines delivering at the same time as Kiko and the odds are one of them would certainly deliver a boy. Pull a switch and you have a new heir!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Charlotte -- do you know if people besides the Imperial family use the hospital on the grounds of the Palace?
Staff of the Imperial Household Agency also use the IHA hospital in the palace grounds.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Courtier

I can only imagine the stress this lady is going through regarding both the health of her pregnancy and providing a male heir to the throne. If she should have a girl, I can imagine the resentment and anger of the traditionalists that want a baby boy and may even become mad at her even though nature helps that along. As much I would like a girl again, I hate to see her go through the rest of her life really she let the family and country down. Too much to bear for her.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
Knowing Akishino's views on concubines, I wouldn't be surprised if there were half a dozen or so concubines delivering at the same time as Kiko and the odds are one of them would certainly deliver a boy. Pull a switch and you have a new heir!
Has Akishino expressed a favorable view to the use of concubines? I hadn't read that. I certainly hope that is not the case here even though we have really not been privileged to photos of the pregnant Kiko!
Old 08-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know why but since few years I can't find any reason to start to like these two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyy
wouldn't be surprised if there were half a dozen or so concubines delivering at the same time as Kiko and the odds are one of them would certainly deliver a boy.
Or Imagine possibility: Kiko's not really pregnant but one of his possible concubines - about which exist we doesn't know, and one of them give a birt to a baby-boy and after that thay will say that Kiko've done that.

Question about posibilities: What If he has few concubines and f.ex. few of them will give a birth to a boys but they'will need only one - what will happen with the others?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Gentry

I don't remember Prince Akishino publically stating that his brother should take a concubine, but he did once attack his brother that he found it disgracefull that the Crown Prince had spoken so openly about his wife's problems adjusting without any notice to the Emperor, the Empress and the rest of the Imperial Family. I do however seem to remember that he did once suggest that his brother should divorce Masako in order to marry someone else.

A nephew or uncle of the Crown Prince did suggest that the Crown Prince should take a concubine, but unfortunatly I've seem to have forgotten his name.

Back to Kiko's baby then: I'm hoping for a girl, but I still fear it's going to be a boy. I'm a firm believer in the theory that this is an IVF-baby. How else explain the timing of the pregnancy? Why was the pregnancy announced just as the prime minister wanted to take the first steps in order to allow Aiko to become Empress? Why hadn't they tried to conceive another baby sooner after the birth of their youngest daughter?
I guess we will know soon enough...
Old 08-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fie
I'm a firm believer in the theory that this is an IVF-baby. How else explain the timing of the pregnancy? Why was the pregnancy announced just as the prime minister wanted to take the first steps in order to allow Aiko to become Empress? Why hadn't they tried to conceive another baby sooner after the birth of their youngest daughter?
I don't have an opinon if it's an IVF baby or not. That's just something that I don't think we'll ever know.

However, just because this baby comes years after the arrival of their youngest daugther doesn't necessarily mean that the baby had to been conceived via fertility treatments. There are many reasons why a baby is born years after its other siblings. Consider Constantine and Anne-Marie of Greece who have admitted called their youngest children, Theodora and Phillippos "after thought" kids. Theodora was born in the early eighties while Nikolaos was born in the late sixties -- that is more than 10 years between the siblings. But I've never read that Anne-Marie conceived her youngest children via fertility treatments.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fie
I don't remember Prince Akishino publically stating that his brother should take a concubine, but he did once attack his brother that he found it disgracefull that the Crown Prince had spoken so openly about his wife's problems adjusting without any notice to the Emperor, the Empress and the rest of the Imperial Family. I do however seem to remember that he did once suggest that his brother should divorce Masako in order to marry someone else.
It seems more than coincidence that he publicly sided with the IHA against his brother, his wife gets pregnant, the announcement of the pregnancy is made with a discrepancy between how far along she was and the expected birth date, and then some complication happens which doesn't require immediate attention but does require a caesarean delivery which means we'll never know when the real due date was. And that the Crown Princess has been let out of the country for the first time in years, just when this complication means that the birth will be taking place while the Crown Prince and his family are safely out of the way so there'll be no focus on them and it'll all be on the next little heir.

Quote:
A nephew or uncle of the Crown Prince did suggest that the Crown Prince should take a concubine, but unfortunatly I've seem to have forgotten his name.
That would have been Prince Tomohito.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2005/...110News039.asp

Quote:
Back to Kiko's baby then: I'm hoping for a girl, but I still fear it's going to be a boy. I'm a firm believer in the theory that this is an IVF-baby. How else explain the timing of the pregnancy? Why was the pregnancy announced just as the prime minister wanted to take the first steps in order to allow Aiko to become Empress? Why hadn't they tried to conceive another baby sooner after the birth of their youngest daughter?
Indeed we will, and I don't suppose many betting shops are taking long odds on it being a boy.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Courtier

Akishino definitely did not make the statement that the crown prince should take a concubine. That statement was made in a newsletter by Prince Tomohito ( cousin of the Emperor) when he was stating his disagreement with changing the sucession laws. It was only the beginning of his sentence ( and naturally the only part that gets quoted as it's the most sensational!) the end of the sentence was that he said that in this day and age that was not socially acceptable. His solution was to reinstate the nobles who were disenfranchised after WW2. Things do change in the Imperial Family, Emperor Taisho ( the current emperor's grandfather) was the son of the Emperor and a concubine, tactfully called a 'lady in waiting'. The current Emperor's father Emperor Hirohito was urged to take a concubine in the 1930s after his wife had given birth to 4 daughters, he refused. The Empress then went on to give birth to 2 sons and another daughter, 7 children in all.

Akishino was critical with his brother that he went public with Masako's problems but that also was to do with the attitude "you don't discuss your problems publically" the Imperial Family are always to be quietly in the background and not newspaper fodder.

As far as the timing of Naruhito and Masako being out of the country, that has more to do with Japanese holiday season. Around the festival of O-Bon ( Aug 15th) Japanese get a week's holiday, M & N are holidaying when it's the Japanese holiday season. They didn't leave until Aug 16th as Naruhito went and paid his respects to his ancestors for O-Bon, photos have been posted by mandyy in the Naruhito thread. ( it's the festival honouring your ancestors. Like the catholic 'All Souls Day' where people visit family grave sites) Their trip to The Netherlands and the dates were announced before the news that Kiko was going into hospital. The original hospital date for Kiko was Sept 8th and at that time N & M would have been back in Japan. Kiko couldn't have gone into hospital earlier as her daughter Mako didn't come back to Japan from her Austrian Homestay until Aug. 16th.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
mandyy has already answered this question. I'll just add a bit about the hospital. It's expensive to run. In a book by Yohei Mori into the costs of the Imperial Family published in 2003, he writes that the $2million dollar clinic has 8 medical departments, a staff of 42 and averages only 28 visitors a day! Basically staff.

It seems now-a-days if the condition of the Imperial Family member is serious they go to a general hospital in Tokyo, not the one in the grounds of the Imperial Palace. Emperor Akihito was treated for prostate cancer at St Luke's International Hospital, so I think his cousin Prince Tomohito recently for throat cancer. Princess Takamatsu ( elderly aunt) died at St Luke's International hospital. Kiko I've noticed has entered a regular hospital for her baby's caesarian birth, her daughters I'm pretty sure were born at the palace hospital.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fie
I do however seem to remember that he did once suggest that his brother should divorce Masako in order to marry someone else.

No he did not. The divorce stories are from traditionalists who suggest that's a way to get a male heir. Tabloid newspapers, particularly outside Japan circulated this story. Members of the Imperial family's interview transcripts are on the Imperial Family website and what they actually say can be verified. They give very few interviews, on their birthdays and before an official overseas trip.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Nobility

How is the princess? Any news of the delivery date?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Courtier

Greetings to all!

I heard this morning (on a talk show) that Masako was not on good terms with Kiko, that they "hated each other" or "Masako hated Kiko" ...I don't remember exactly which phrase they used. But the reason for the animosity was that Kiko is pregnant and that they are all so sure that's it's going to be a boy... How true is this? Because you know you just can't trust all those gossip mags and shows.... I'm sure Masako feels something, but not hate. She might be feeling hopful that it's a boy that way the pressure is off of her, or a little resentful because if it's a boy then her little daughter stands no chance of being empress...who knows!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Gentry

Japan lives with restlessness the final days of the pregnancy of
princess Kiko

The news of the hospitalization of princess Kiko already has untied some rumors of imminent birth. Quickly discarded by Kiodo agency that, mentioning official sources, it emphasized that the entrance of the Princess tries to guarantee the conditions of security the childbirth, by means of Caesarean, takes place without problems and for taking care of any bled sign in these previous days to the operation....

source: hola.com (the article is in spanish)
http://www.hola.com/actualidad/imgAc...6&currentImg=4
Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

The last hope...

I wish a safe delivery for Princess Kiko.
If she gives birth to a boy, the last hope is that Crown Prince will find courage to amend laws of succession upon ascending the throne to show the Imperial Household Agency its place.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Courtier

I'm just trying to think positively that if Kiko delivers a baby boy then I guess IH will not annoy princess Masako anymore. Masako will get fully recover and more relax....with this condition who knows that one day she will be pregnant again and this time will be a brother for princess Aiko . But I think being able to get rid from that annoying IH is already a good gift for Princess Masako, no matter she could have another baby in the future or not .
Old 08-17-2006, 04:39 PM

I'm rather sure the baby will come soon, while the crown princes are in Holland.

I have just read the book "Princess Masako, - the imprisoned butterfly" from Yoko Kobayasi. The book gives an idea how life is in the imperial family, and for princess Masako it has been very difficult.
When she came into the imperial family, her mother-in-law and her sister-in-law, princess Kiko, had already a very good relationship. In the eyes of the imperial couple, princess Kiko is an ideal princess. Educated in Japan, she has a degree in psychology, a very "feminine" study, and she had no troubles adjusting to life in the imperial family. For princess Masako it was all very different, she has a totally different background and education.
According to the book, the pressure princess Masako has experienced from the Imperial Household, comes directly from the imperial couple.

That is why I believe the third child of prince and princess Akishino will be a boy, a well-planned boy.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I don't think that Princess Masako and Princess Kiko "hates each other". This is really strong as a statement and you all here knows how the newspapers goes on in exagerations. When they have not a new, they simply made them up. That's a fact.

But now, I'm worried about Princess KikoĦs health. I don't think she must be hospitalized until 6-7 September...That's a little strange and suspicious. However, I'm not a doctor and perhaps is common to act this way with her pregnancy problem. Any doctor here to tell us about how doctors would act in this kind of cases?

Vanesa.

Tags
hisahito, kiko, pregnancy, prince hisahito, princess akishino, princess kiko