Prince and Princess Akishino have a son: Prince Hisahito

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laviollette said:
Why is everyone so surprised that it has fallen on Princess Kiko to provide the heir to the Imperial throne? She has children more easily whereas for CP Masako it has been more difficult. This is Kiko's third child. I wouldn't be surprised if she had a fourth.
Maybe becouse Masako as a wife of the Crown Prince (future Emperor) must and should deliver a boy! That's big pressure for (almost) all Crown Princesses. "No matter" what will deliver a wife of the second and any other ruler's son. A male heir should deliver a CPss!

Last edited:
CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
We're not suprised. We know the IHA is shady.

And Aiko should be the heir.
Why do you just assume that this crisis is all the IHA's fault and no responsibility is put on the CP couple, specifically Masako? When there is a conflict, isn't it usually both sides that are to blame? Do you know anyone in the IHA? The bashing of the IHA, Prince and Princess Akishino's decision to have another child and the fact that it's a boy has gone too far, imo.

magnik said:
Maybe becouse Masako as a wife of the Crown Prince (future Emperor) must and should deliver a boy! That's big pressure for (almost) all Crown Princesses. "No matter" what will deliver a wife of the second and any other ruler's son. A male heir should deliver a CPss!
There was pressure on Princess Diana, Princess Mary, Princess Letizia, Princess Maxima, Princess Mathilde and Princess Mette-Marit to name a few. Stress didn't prevent them from having children and many of the princesses have multiple children. Some women just have children more easily than others. Obviously the more children you have it's more likely you will have children of both genders.

Last edited:
King of Spain sent telegram congratulation to Princes Akishino and Kiko

The King sent today a congratulation telegram to Princes Akishino and Kiko of Japan by the birth, the last dawn, of his third son, a man, third in the line of succession to the imperial throne.
Don Juan Carlos, informed to EFE a spokesman into the House into the King, sent the telegram of congratulation in its name and the one of the rest of the Spanish Royal Family.

http://actualidad.terra.es/nacional/articulo/rey_principes_akishino_kiko_1071685.htm

New Japanese heir will happen through the imperial rituals

At the moment, a messenger of the emperor, who along with the Michiko empress is in an official visit in Hokkaido, the greater northern island of Japan, will give “a protective” sword for the small one and he will put it on his pillow. The boy will receive his name during a ceremony that traditionally is place seventh after its birth.
Also a symbol will prevail to him that will be used to mark its properties and that will be chosen by their mother. Although its name is not known at the moment, this one will contain the suffix “- fixed”, that means “virtuous person”; if she had been woman, would have taken at the end of his name the particle” - ko ", that means “girl”.
After knowing the name the baby, who will prevail his father in that special ceremony, the head of the Imperial House, Shingo Haketa, will register it in the registry of the imperial family.
The boy in addition will be put under a series of rituals that do not make differences by their sex hardly; however, some rites will not be carried out, because he is not son of an emperor or an inheriting prince. For example, the ceremony of the bath will not take place, in which it requests by the “literary excellence” and the “good health” of the prince However, through this ceremony yes it passed Aiko, daughter of 4 years of inheriting prince Naruhito and his wife, princess Masako, of 42 years.

http://srv2.vanguardia.com.mx/hub.cfm/FuseAction.Detalle/Nota.563342/SecID.28/index.sal

Last edited:
Laviollette said:
Why do you just assume that this crisis is all the IHA's fault and no responsibility is put on the CP couple, specifically Masako? When there is a conflict, isn't it usually both sides that are to blame? Do you know anyone in the IHA? The bashing of the IHA, Prince and Princess Akishino's decision to have another child and the fact that it's a boy has gone too far, imo.

CP couple is not to blame! Women should be allowed to ascend in the first place! They've had 8 Empresses in the past! So yeah, this is all IHA's fault and the coservative Japanese parliament.

And no, the bashing of IHA has not gotten far, it needs to be abolished. And no one is bashing the Akishino couple, just the IHA. But they probably chose the gender of the baby beforehand, under the IHA's watchful eye.

Either produce the heir or get out of the way and let someone else produce the heir. Stop whining about your privileged life and get on with your duties.

have any non-royals and British royals send telegram news about Japan birth yet?

but that nice of King of Spain send Telegram to Japan congratulations on their birth.

if i would find telegram of Royals or not if you have any royals websites

Laviollette said:
Either produce the heir or get out of the way and let someone else produce the heir. Stop whining about your privileged life and get on with your duties.

When did she whine? I mean, whine in public? AFAIK there has only been statements by the court and her husband telling she has psychological problems. But - we know today for sure how CP Michiko was treated by the IHA - and she had two sons! She was given wrong informations about formal things, eg dress codes for occassions, so she was humiliated in front of all people present because she was dressed in the wrong style. They told her appointments had been cancelled and reported her when she took the time to be with her sons.... things like that abound. And CP Akihito has loved her as much as CP Naruhito loves his wife today - but both were helpless because it was not open fighting but petty intrigues.

So it is easily imaginable how a Crown princess is being treated who does not have a son! How mobbed she must feel, how unloved. There are people openly asking her to commit suicide as she is a burden to the Imperial house. Do you really condone such behaviour and call the suffering from this environment "whining"? That's the impression that I get. I see it differently: I at least believe it is petty, nasty and ,yes, "evil" to behave in such a way towards another human being.

Laviollette said:

She didn't whine. She produced a possible heir, but the gender is female. You need to seriously stop being sexist.

She didn't have to produce a male heir, but the IHA needs to be abolished and they need to stop banning women from ascending the throne.

They've had eight empresses in the past, why can't they have one again?

Last edited:
From what I have heard they do not want an empress because it is felt that they did not do a good job. Therefore, only men are wanted which is rediculous to me.

Laviollette said:
Stop whining about your privileged life and get on with your duties.

Would you give specific examples to back up your statement? You keep saying inflammatory things like this that have no basis in fact. I stand corrected if you will produce the evidence.

Emily said:
Would you give specific examples to back up your statement? You keep saying inflammatory things like this that have no basis in fact. I stand corrected if you will produce the evidence.

She can't. She seems to have a serious problem with Masako. Apparently having a priviliged life of material possessions should be enough for her (Masako) to get over the fact that she most likely has been emotionally abused and belittled by the IHA. Despite the fact that she was an educated diplomat..she has failed at the most basic female level of producing a male heir and therefore doesn't deserve any pity.

But congratulations to the couple on the birth of their healthy baby!

Laviollette said:

Laviollette, if you could be so kind as to post a link or a quote to the last time Masako said anything in public, let alone a whine, I would really love to read it. I would be willing to change my opinion on the situation if she truly has been whining about her privileged life. Thanks!:)

The whole public relations spin around the CP couple is about how bad they've been treated. About how depressed Masako is and how she's been under pressure to bear a male heir. That her prince had to defend her in public against the evil IHA for stifling her personality and career. Isn't all the spin the reason why there are such rude and vicisous remarks upon the birth of a male child to the second princely couple in Japan?

I'm responding to this poor, poor CP couple mentality--'how will Masako handle this? I feel so sorry for her.' Why the anger if this sympathy machine hasn't been orchestrated by the barin CPss and her husband?

Last edited:
Laviolette...while people have definitely expressed their support and gratitude for the birth of a healthy baby, their congratulations to the parents, disdain for the IHA, and the continued support of Masako...you seem to be the only person spouting any venom. If I am to understand your barin comment about Masako correctly? Not to be smart...but do you mean barren..the inability to have children? If that is the case, than that is mean spirited IMO.

Edited: Now if I misunderstood your post, than I apologize.

Head of medical team says Princess Kiko's delivery of baby boy went smoothly
......"The baby boy is in good condition. When I told the Princess, 'The operation is complete. Congratulations. How are you feeling?' she said, 'Thank you very much. I'm feeling fine.' She is recovering steadily," Aiiku Hospital Director Masao Nakabayashi told a press conference at the Imperial Household Agency on Wednesday morning.........."They followed our recommendations that she refrain from performing her official duties. The Princess said she would take everything optimistically and agreed to follow doctors' instructions. She was a good patient," he added.
"When I said, 'You can't see your children for some time, can you?' the Princess said, 'That's the only thing I'm worried about.' She said she was looking forward to listening to Princess Mako's comments on her experience abroad (in Austria)," Nakabayashi told the news conference.
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060906p2a00m0na012000c.html

Crown Prince offers congratulations to Prince Akishino
...Prince Akishino called the Crown Prince at about 8:40 a.m., just 13 minutes after the new Prince was born, and informed him of the arrival.
The Crown Prince was pleased....
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060906p2a00m0na021000c.html

White House congratulates Japanese royal family on prince's birth

....."It's always a wonderful thing when you have a newborn," White House spokesman Tony Snow told reporters.
Separately, National Security Council spokesman Fred Jones said, "We congratulate the Japanese imperial family on the birth of a healthy child."...
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060906/kyodo/d8jvioa00.html

Imperial birth truly a blessed event
After Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino, the next nine babies born to the Imperial family were all girls. This is the first baby boy in 41 years for the Imperial family, and the first Imperial heir born in the Heisei era.
The Emperor and Empress were told of the birth of the prince during an official visit to Sapporo. The Imperial couple must have special feelings for the child, who is their first grandson.....
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/editorial/20060907TDY04007.htm

World media react to news of prince's birth
The BBC's leading news item at 1 a.m. on Wednesday in England was that Princess Kiko, wife of Prince Akishino, "gave birth to a boy." The report added that people were jubilant at the birth of the first prince in about 40 years.
According to a Buckingham Palace spokesman, the British royal family will send a congratulatory message to the Imperial family. Queen Elizabeth II sent a message to the Imperial family wishing Princess Aiko good health when Crown Princess Masako, wife of Crown Prince Naruhito, gave birth to her in Dec. 2001. The royal family is expected to send a similar message this time....
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20060907TDY02007.htm

Imperial family breathes a collective sigh of happiness

...His father, Prince Fumihito, waited in a room across the hall from a delivery room where the Caesarean section was taking place. A sofa and temporary phone line were specially brought in for Fumihito.
Kiko was anesthetized around 8 a.m., and gave birth about 30 minutes later.
Fumihito, who had declared he did not want to know the gender of the baby before birth, first saw the newborn in the incubator.
"It is a prince," he was told by Ichiro Kanazawa, the Imperial Household's medical supervisor.
"Thank you," Fumihito replied calmly.
As Kiko left the delivery room, Fumihito exchanged a few words with her. "I have returned," Kiko told him, happy to have come through the birth without complications. Then he immediately used the phone in his waiting room to call his parents, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. The couple are on an official visit to Hokkaido............On Wednesday, Fumihito also called his older brother, Crown Prince Naruhito. Naruhito reportedly congratulated Fumihito on the smooth delivery, and wished the couple and their baby good health.
Crown Princess Masako also seemed to take encouragement from some of the expectation being lifted from her shoulders, sources said....
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200609060478.html

Nation embraces little prince
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200609060481.html

Royal families, gov'ts send congratulations on Japan's new prince

Royal families and governments around the world including from Britain and Thailand, which have close ties with the Japanese imperial family, congratulated Japan on the birth of a baby boy to Prince Akishino and his wife Princess Kiko on Wednesday.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth sent a personal message of congratulations to Emperor Akihito on the birth of the new prince in the royal household, Buckingham Palace confirmed Wednesday. "Prince Philip and I were delighted to hear of the birth of your grandson. Please convey our warmest congratulations to Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko," the text of the message - signed "Elizabeth R." - read....
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060906/kyodo/d8jvesk80.html

New Prince expected to deliver 150 billion yen economic windfall
The long-awaited birth of a boy to Japan's Imperial Family may shore up the nation's falling marriage and birth rates and give a lift to the overall economy to the tune of 150 billion yen, a private think tank said Wednesday....
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060906p2a00m0na029000c.html

Last edited:
Daily Yomiuri Online
Joy at baby's birth; anger at speculation

The Yomiuri Shimbun

...Following the Feb. 7 announcement that Princess Kiko was pregnant, Prince Akishino and his family had experienced both joyous and anxious days, sources said.

Many magazines published speculative and unsupported articles--on an almost daily basis--regarding the baby's gender, and some reported rumors about arguments within the Imperial household over the issue of Imperial succession.

Prince Akishino was said to have been frustrated with the spurious media reports, and repeatedly requested that the Imperial Household Agency officials create a more peaceful environment for his family, the sources said...

full article: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20060907TDY03004.htm

Will the child 1st be seen at his naming ceremony in a weeks time or will he leave hospital before this time? Will he be hidden until the time of rituals?

crm2317 said:
Will the child 1st be seen at his naming ceremony in a weeks time or will he leave hospital before this time? Will he be hidden until the time of rituals?
We will only be able to see the first glimpse of the prince when he leaves the hospital to return home in about 10 days.
The naming ceremony will be held on Sept. 12th, 2006.

Last edited:
CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
They've had eight empresses in the past, why can't they have one again?
But unlike for example Queen Victoria of Great Britain, whose descendants ruled after her, and unlike the ruling queens of our times, whose sons will be kings after they die, none of these Japanese empresses had children, who inherited the thrown after them. They were only empresses when the "real" heir to the thrown were just little boys. The last ruling empress, who lived in the 1700s, only ruled as long as her little nephew was a minor. Thus, the imperial blood line was unbroken, since none of the empresses had children.

Elspeth said:
Well, since producing a male was the object of the exercise in the first place, it pretty well beggars belief that someone didn't know. Prince Akishino was saying that it was a boy a couple of weeks ago, wasn't he?

Exactly. From what I could gather Elspeth, the 'aim' of this conception was to produce a male heir so if they state that they did not know the sex of the child before the deilvery, I really find this hard to fathom :flowers:

Laviollette said:
I'm responding to this poor, poor CP couple mentality--'how will Masako handle this? I feel so sorry for her.' Why the anger if this sympathy machine hasn't been orchestrated by the barin CPss and her husband?

How should the prince and princess have "orchestrated" the opinions in this forum? Please, I'm really curious to learn how this could have been done. And what don you mean by "barin"? My dictionary doesn't know the word... Help is very much appreciated.

Congratulations to Prince Akishino but especially to Princess Kiko, who took a big risk with pregnancy late in life and dealing with the immense pressure and speculation that she's probably not used to dealing with in order to provide the Japanese Royal house with the much anticipated male heir.
I hope Akishino gives her a huge diamond necklace. :lol:

I actually think this will end being a blessing for Masako. She will still belong to the Royal family and be titled Empress and now perhaps she can be a fabulous ambassador for Japan, which is probably what she would've liked all along.

I hope everyone ends up for the better for this. :flowers:

Furienna said:
But unlike for example Queen Victoria of Great Britain, whose descendants ruled after her, and unlike the ruling queens of our times, whose sons will be kings after they die, none of these Japanese empresses had children, who inherited the thrown after them. They were only empresses when the "real" heir to the thrown were just little boys. The last ruling empress, who lived in the 1700s, only ruled as long as her little nephew was a minor. Thus, the imperial blood line was unbroken, since none of the empresses had children.

You are so wrong, Empress Gemmei had children! Both she and her husband were of imperial blood! She abdicated in favor of her DAUGHTER, Empress Gensho.

As for abdications, Emperors also abdicated as soon as their designated heir reached of age. This wasn't exclusive to females. Also, an Emperor that has abdicated become a cloistered ruler, and he/she has higher authority over the current Emperor because of seniority.

As for the Imperial line, there's no such thing as a male or female imperial line back then because the Imperial family married each other! Cousins married cousins! Uncle married nieces! It's ONE line!

Emperor Mommu's successor was his mother, Empress Gemmei. Her mother was also his FIRST COUSIN ONCE REMOVED.

These people are just making up excuses for their sexism.

{personal comment deleted - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I guess my knowledge on the history of the Japanese imperial house could be better. But can you claim, that any emperor or (ruling) empress of Japan wasn't of imperial blood on their father's side? Every member of the imperial family since forever has had imperial blood on their paternal sides. Empress Gemmei's husband was, you say, as imperial as her, so their children had imperial blood on their father's side. Princesses had to marry a prince with imperial blood on his father's side if her children would become princes or princesses. If Aiko became empress, surely you would want her children to succeed her? But unless she got married to a noble man with imperial blood, these children would be the first princes and princesses for centuries, who wouldn't have imperial blood on their father's side.

Most, if not all, the Emperors before Akihito were imperial from BOTH paternal and maternal side (even the concubines came from the imperial line's cadet branches).

Also the rule that the successor needs to have an Emperor on their father's side wasn't invented until Japan came in contact with Prussia (I think it was Prussia) and adapted their salic law.

Last edited:
Laviollette said:
The whole public relations spin around the CP couple is about how bad they've been treated. About how depressed Masako is and how she's been under pressure to bear a male heir. That her prince had to defend her in public against the evil IHA for stifling her personality and career. Isn't all the spin the reason why there are such rude and vicisous remarks upon the birth of a male child to the second princely couple in Japan?

The whole PR spin about the poor princess? The official PR spin by the IHA has been nothing if not to further denigrate Masako's person; "deny her character" in the words of the Crown Prince. And Naruhito is obviously not a complainer if he let things get to the point that his wife needed hospitalization before he let out even a whimper of a cry for understanding the situation. And "why the anger"? Not too sure what you refer to here -- there is concern for Masako because she has suffered from "an adjustment disorder and depression". And, her primary job, of which she is well aware, was to produce not just an heir -- but a male heir. And, not only has she had trouble carrying a pregnancy to term but her sole child is a girl. Therefore, she is a "failure" in the breeding department in the IHA's eyes and for them, that is really her only job. This from a woman who has been a classic overachiever in many other areas of her life, including other work she has done in her capacity as Crown Princess, if Naruhito's remarks are to be believed. Given how fragile her mental health state has been, it would be odd, if not indecent, not to be concerned. There is anger at the system Perhaps if you would read through some of the discussion on the threads you point us to, you would speak more realistically to this situation. I would be the first to say if I thought Masako was "whining". Instead, I really believe she is in a miserble situation, not unlike that her mother-in-law experienced. Clearly there is a control issue all wrapped up with a "tradition" issue that needs to be addressed in this royal family, perhaps in the whole of Japanese society. Does that mean I don't like Kiko and am not happy for her family and the baby? Of course not. There is room in life to feel many things for many people.

Last edited:
Emily said:
The whole PR spin about the poor princess? The official PR spin by the IHA has been nothing if not to further denigrate Masako's person; "deny her character" in the words of the Crown Prince. And Naruhito is obviously not a complainer if he let things get to the point that his wife needed hospitalization before he let out even a whimper of a cry for understanding the situation. And "why the anger"? Not too sure what you refer to here -- there is concern for Masako because she has suffered from "an adjustment disorder and depression". And, her primary job, of which she is well aware, was to produce not just an heir -- but a male heir. And, not only has she had trouble carrying a pregnancy to term but her sole child is a girl. Therefore, she is a "failure" in the breeding department in the IHA's eyes and for them, that is really her only job. This from a woman who has been a classic overachiever in many other areas of her life, including other work she has done in her capacity as Crown Princess, if Naruhito's remarks are to be believed. Given how fragile her mental health state has been, it would be odd, if not indecent, not to be concerned. There is anger at the system Perhaps if you would read through some of the discussion on the threads you point us to, you would speak more realistically to this situation. I would be the first to say if I thought Masako was "whining". Instead, I really believe she is in a miserble situation, not unlike that her mother-in-law experienced. Clearly there is a control issue all wrapped up with a "tradition" issue that needs to be addressed in this royal family, perhaps in the whole of Japanese society. Does that mean I don't like Kiko and am not happy for her family and the baby? Of course not. There is room in life to feel many things for many people.

Well said Emily. :flowers:

Last edited:
I would like to congratulate the couple on their newborn son I hope that their new addition gives them just as much joy as their daughter does.:flowers:

Emily said:

:clap: Well spoken Emily! I don't believe that one person on this forum has ever wished Kiko and her child ill tidings. It doesn't mean that we can't have other opinions as well.

Back
Top Bottom