Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko Current Events Part 2: November 2006 - April 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They look elegant as expected: elegant clean unfussy ensembles. It is great that Princess Kako accompanied her mother.
It has been my understanding that Princess Kiko is very popular in Japan.

Last edited:
They look elegant!

Yet I always think Kiko gets overlooked while people fawn over Masako, who does only a small fraction of the work that Kiko does. Yet she is the one who gets the most praise.

Hmmmmmm...there are always two sides to every story...

:previous:So agree with you, yes PK does have that smile that says *the cat ate the mouse*, very smug and sure of herself..not someone to be trusted.

:previous:
Yes he is quite a handsome little boy. I just feel so sorry for him for the life that is mapped out for him now and no chance for a normal life at all. The control that the IAH has on the family is very scary and depressing.
I've noticed that his sisters are already placed behind him in the reception line.

Tommy100 and SElizabeth, could you elaborate further on the comments you have made as I don't understand. Thanks.

I've always had the impression that Princess Akishino is quite popular in Japan. Even compared to the Crown Princess, who has not exactly won hearts with her decade long seclusion. Princess Akishino has established herself as a reliable and active member of the Imperial Family. She will one day be Empress, and mother of an Emperor. I don't know how that makes her untrustworthy.

I've always had the impression that Princess Akishino is quite popular in Japan. Even compared to the Crown Princess, who has not exactly won hearts with her decade long seclusion. Princess Akishino has established herself as a reliable and active member of the Imperial Family. She will one day be Empress, and mother of an Emperor. I don't know how that makes her untrustworthy.

Yes, that's true. I believe Kiko is very popular in Japan. I meant in the Western media, where people are always "Oh, poor Masako, mistreated by the mean old IHA."

The allusion to Kiko's "smugness" is probably an offshoot of this, because she had a son to succeed to the throne.
Some are suspicious that she had one with a long gap since her last pregnancy, and just when the issue of succession was becoming a crisis.

Japan was needing a heir to the Throne and Princess Akishino gave it. Now that makes untrustworthy. What a nonsense.

It's not her fault if the Japanese politicians do not want to change the succession laws.

I agree with your assessment. Princess Kiko is the mother of a future Emperor. I am not sure whether Prince Akishino will succeed his father on the Chrysanthemum throne.

I don't speak or read Japanese, so I don't know how sympathetic the Japanese media is to the Crown Princess. But I suspect not as much as the media in the west. I was in Tokyo for the Emperor's Birthday in 2011, and went to the Imperial Palace to greet the Emperor and his family. We had to line up for nearly two hours, and I thought I might get a chance to talk to some Japanese about their views on the Imperial Family, but it was not to be. I soon discovered how Japanese do not like to speak English to foreigners, even though they have all probably learnt some at school. So they just politely ignored me, even though I stood out like a sore thumb (I was taller than everyone around me, and I have a big, bushy beard). It was quite strange as I had just come from China, where the locals have no such reserve and never left me alone (except in Tibet where, for obvious reasons, the locals were a lot more cautious). Anyway, that night on the news reports on the Emperor's Birthday, a lot of the focus was on Princess Mako as it was her first time on the balcony as an adult member of the Imperial Family. During the three weeks I spent in Japan I did see Princess Akishino featured on the cover of various magazines, more so than the Crown Princess.

The current succession is quite clear: the Crown Prince, Prince Akishino and then Prince Hisohito. Unless the Imperial Household Law is tinkered with, things will take their natural course and, if he is still alive, Prince Akishino will one day become Emperor. He may be quite elderly, and it may be a short reign, but it's enough to make Princess Akishino Empress, and mother of an Emperor.

I don't remember the name of the person nor the site(and this person has extensive knowledge of the royal family)(and it was some years ago) where I got my impressions of PK, it was not nice. It seems there is some how to say, bad blood between the 2 oldest brothers, the CP and PK and this carries over into the 2 ladies that are married to them. I just don't get this family and how they are so controlled by the IHA,men in gray suits is what I call them. It is not up to the women of the world to determine the sex of a child when it is born, goodness that is so backwards, yet PM was more or less crucified because she gave birth to a daughter and not a son. Even science will tell you that, yet that is what this country/family/IHA believe. I feel for PM, she has had a horrible life in that family, no support, no love except from her husband and daughter, I wonder if she is even allowed to see her parents and siblings, to be controlled that way is stifling and depressing. I am glad she didn't have a second child, for to be born into that family would be hell on earth. PM once had a great career ahead of her, she is very intelligent and worldly, and I think that PK is one who will walk the line, talk the talk and do whatever she had to do to get that crown on her son's head. People I have noticed in this world believe anything and mostly everything that is printed by the media who just manipulates the people with anything they want to print. If I can find the website that had that information I will post it, it was very interesting reading.

I don't remember the name of the person nor the site(and this person has extensive knowledge of the royal family)(and it was some years ago) where I got my impressions of PK, it was not nice. It seems there is some how to say, bad blood between the 2 oldest brothers, the CP and PK and this carries over into the 2 ladies that are married to them. I just don't get this family and how they are so controlled by the IHA,men in gray suits is what I call them. It is not up to the women of the world to determine the sex of a child when it is born, goodness that is so backwards, yet PM was more or less crucified because she gave birth to a daughter and not a son. Even science will tell you that, yet that is what this country/family/IHA believe. I feel for PM, she has had a horrible life in that family, no support, no love except from her husband and daughter, I wonder if she is even allowed to see her parents and siblings, to be controlled that way is stifling and depressing. I am glad she didn't have a second child, for to be born into that family would be hell on earth. PM once had a great career ahead of her, she is very intelligent and worldly, and I think that PK is one who will walk the line, talk the talk and do whatever she had to do to get that crown on her son's head. People I have noticed in this world believe anything and mostly everything that is printed by the media who just manipulates the people with anything they want to print. If I can find the website that had that information I will post it, it was very interesting reading.

Thanks SElizabeth for your thoughts on this.

One of the problems we have here is that the lives of the Imperial Family inside the palace seem to be so secretive that we know very little and even day to day activities are a mystery.
The protocols outside the palace such as on official visits are no stricter than other royal families. There are certain cultural expectations inside the palace that will define interests and past-times of the family too.
Certain aspects of Japanese culture are exceptionally refined and completely at the other end of the spectrum when compared with Western cultures.
All this adds up to one simple thing: lack of and strict control of information.

It is easy to imagine members of the Imperial family locked away in their rooms until it's time to attend an official function. It is easy to imagine Crown Princess Masako having been bullied and forced on a daily basis into trying for more and more children (one could apply that dreadful scenario to Princess Kiko before she became pregnant again). But because we do not know for sure, it is human nature to assume the worst.

There is no doubt in my mind that Masako is allowed to see her parents and siblings and able to do other things that will encourage and help her - but in order to preserve the imperial public image, these less formal/more leisurely activities will not be announced and the media cannot see them happening.
For instance, we occasionally see a photo of Akihito and Masako walking along a coast or picking herbs from a field. Sometimes we see Niruhito and Masako with Aiko at a train station on their way to the country for a break. But that's it, nothing more will be seen because there can be no paparazzi shots or media intrusion to show us the informality as that will compromise the image control.

Princess Kiko needs to do nothing at all in order for her son to become emperor, because it will happen one day whatever she does and however she does it.

I don't speak or read Japanese, so I don't know how sympathetic the Japanese media is to the Crown Princess. But I suspect not as much as the media in the west. I was in Tokyo for the Emperor's Birthday in 2011, and went to the Imperial Palace to greet the Emperor and his family. We had to line up for nearly two hours, and I thought I might get a chance to talk to some Japanese about their views on the Imperial Family, but it was not to be. I soon discovered how Japanese do not like to speak English to foreigners, even though they have all probably learnt some at school. So they just politely ignored me, even though I stood out like a sore thumb (I was taller than everyone around me, and I have a big, bushy beard). It was quite strange as I had just come from China, where the locals have no such reserve and never left me alone (except in Tibet where, for obvious reasons, the locals were a lot more cautious). Anyway, that night on the news reports on the Emperor's Birthday, a lot of the focus was on Princess Mako as it was her first time on the balcony as an adult member of the Imperial Family. During the three weeks I spent in Japan I did see Princess Akishino featured on the cover of various magazines, more so than the Crown Princess.

The current succession is quite clear: the Crown Prince, Prince Akishino and then Prince Hisohito. Unless the Imperial Household Law is tinkered with, things will take their natural course and, if he is still alive, Prince Akishino will one day become Emperor. He may be quite elderly, and it may be a short reign, but it's enough to make Princess Akishino Empress, and mother of an Emperor.

Yes, the Japanese can be very reserved with foreigners through shyness and social etiquette, and not least of all their inherent desire to avoid offence by being unable to speak English well enough to be understood by the person asking unexpected questions.

:previous:I went looking for some of the information and where I could find it after my post, I have this book that was not very well received in Japan called :"Princess Masako, Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne", by Ben Hills. It was highly criticized and I am not sure but I heard it was banned at one point from Japan. I understand PM's situation when it comes to being controlled by family/society in general and other people always trying to break a person's spirit. I think in today's society it (controlling) isn't as prevalent as it was say 60 years ago and being an older lady then that, I do know something about the ways of how people then lived as compared to the way people live today.........what a difference and yes times change and sometimes not for the better in some things. Even in today's age, I personally have a hard time trying to figure out why some people think the way they do.......it blows the mind sometimes. Sorry for getting off topic.
I was delighted to see her out with Queen Max and that smile on her face during the dinner where she was wearing her tiara and jewels, that said to me how she is coming out of her depression. The IHA is highly criticized in Japan for hiding the royal family, (hiding is my way of saying what they do to the royal family), I hope when the CP comes to the throne he can make some positive changes but I doubt it, this agency is hundreds of years old and the positions are inherited and they don't have to answer to anyone not even the government...think how if our president didn't have to answer to the people or congress......all hell would break lose........not over there.:)

The Imperial Household Agency is not hundreds of years old. In 1947 the independent Imperial Household Ministry was abolished and replaced by the Imperial Household Agency. It is a government agency tasked to support the Emperor and the Imperial Family. Positions within the agency are not hereditary. It has little autonomy and is answerable directly to the Japanese Cabinet:

As a result of the Central Government Reform which took effect on 6 January 2001 the Imperial Household Agency has been placed under the Cabinet Office. The Agency is headed by the Grand Steward and he is assisted by the Vice-Grand Steward. The main organization of the Agency comprises the Grand Steward's Secretariat, Board of the Chamberlains, Crown Prince's Household, Board of the Ceremonies, Archives and Mausolea Department, Maintenance and Works Department and Kyoto Office.​

If anyone has control over the Imperial Family it is the Prime Minister, not the Grand Steward.

The book by Ben Hills is heavy on opinion and rumour, and light on objectivity and facts. I'm afraid, SElisabeth, that you have not provided one iota of evidence to back up your melodramatic observations. Strip away some of the emotive, heart wrenching language and you might get a little closer to the truth.

Finally, Princess Akishino does not have to do a thing to get "that crown on her son's head"; it will be his in due course because that is the law. What some may call talking the talk can just as easily be called doing her duty. It is not Princess Akishino’s fault that her husband’s sister-in-law is unwell.

Last edited:
The Imperial Household Agency is not hundreds of years old. In 1947 the independent Imperial Household Ministry was abolished and replaced by the Imperial Household Agency. It is a government agency tasked to support the Emperor and the Imperial Family. Positions within the agency are not hereditary. It has little autonomy and is answerable directly to the Japanese Cabinet:
As a result of the Central Government Reform which took effect on 6 January 2001 the Imperial Household Agency has been placed under the Cabinet Office. The Agency is headed by the Grand Steward and he is assisted by the Vice-Grand Steward. The main organization of the Agency comprises the Grand Steward's Secretariat, Board of the Chamberlains, Crown Prince's Household, Board of the Ceremonies, Archives and Mausolea Department, Maintenance and Works Department and Kyoto Office.​
If anyone has control over the Imperial Family it is the Prime Minister, not the Grand Steward.

The book by Ben Hills is heavy on opinion and rumour, and light on objectivity and facts. I'm afraid, SElisabeth, that you have not provided one iota of evidence to back up your melodramatic observations. Strip away some of the emotive, heart wrenching language and you might get a little closer to the truth.

Finally, Princess Akishino does not have to do a thing to get "that crown on her son's head"; it will be his in due course because that is the law. What some may call talking the talk can just as easily be called doing her duty. It is not Princess Akishino’s fault that her husband’s sister-in-law is unwell.

First of all, every one here is entitled to their opinion, just as you are and so am I, you can believe anything you want just as I will believe anything I want....I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you. There are more people then you and me that have information on this family, and yes PK did do just that, after years of not being pregnant, all of a sudden she is going to have a baby....I believe that was done to make sure that a male child inherited the throne.....and nobody is blaming her for PM's depression. I am getting the impression that you are a fan of this family and that maybe nobody should say a negative word about them......I feel for PM and if you don't then that is okay with me. I believe that PM loves her husband as he has come out and complained about the way his wife was treated by the IHA. If you go look up IHA, this organization was under many different names and the name has changed many times within the government and it is very old, believe what you want as I will believe what I want as it should be. And there is no need to be hostile to anyone here for having a different opinion then you........good day.

The IHA was established in the 8th century and it was called the Imperial Household Ministry. I went to Wikipedia to look up the information before I commented. I don't pretend to know everything and will always say that I know very little as I believe in learning something new each day......so go to Wikipedia and change it if you don't like what they wrote there...

This may only be a rumor, but I have heard that, after the birth of Hisahito, some politician suggested to Prince Akishino that a second son would be welcome, for insurance purposes, and the prince refused rather sharply.

This may only be a rumor, but I have heard that, after the birth of Hisahito, some politician suggested to Prince Akishino that a second son would be welcome, for insurance purposes, and the prince refused rather sharply.

I wish there was some way we could verify this, because I would be very happy indeed if it were true.
We have no way of knowing whether the Akishinos planned to have another child for themselves or for the future of the Imperial Line, or whether it was purely something that happened by chance without any planning at all. Whatever it was, Prince Akishino's response to such a question would have been the right one.

:previous:I also read the same about the IHA wanting a second son, this just goes to show that this culture has a very high opinion and regard for the male species and that women are just to be used for that purpose. This is a very backwards culture and attitude towards women in today's day and age, sad that it still goes on not just in Japan but in many parts of the world today that women are viewed as worthless unless they produce a male child.
:)

:previous:I also read the same about the IHA wanting a second son, this just goes to show that this culture has a very high opinion and regard for the male species and that women are just to be used for that purpose. This is a very backwards culture and attitude towards women in today's day and age, sad that it still goes on not just in Japan but in many parts of the world today that women are viewed as worthless unless they produce a male child.
:)

I wonder if this attitude is truly limited to what you refer to as a backwards culture.
I'm not so sure it isn't also an undercurrent in our own Western culture; it simply isn't admitted for PC reasons.

(I recall reading that Princess Diana felt unwanted by her parents, because they were hoping for a son and hadn't even considered a name for a daughter).

:previous:I think there is still an undercurrent in society in general that men/male species is more highly regarded then women. Even though women have risen to higher standards in the world, men in general still show lots of disrespect for women. When I see women dress today showing everything, they are showing that is the only way to get the attention of the opposite sex and that is all they are good for.....not big on self respect, self esteem, or confidence in who you are as a woman.......getting off topic and so sorry I got carried a way on this.........this is a huge sore spot for me in today's society.:)

Princess Kiko attended the finger language skill contest in Tottori on November 23:

** Pic **

Princess Kiko and Princess Kako attended a ceremony to praise mothers bringing up hearing-impaired children at Kensei Kinenkan Hall in Tokyo on December 8.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Princess Kiko attended the opening ceremony of the new Aiiku Hospital in Tokyo on January 21. She had given birth to Prince Hisahito at the old hospital.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Princess Kiko and Princess Kako visited the Japan Quilt Grand Prix exhibition at Tokyo Dome City on January 22:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Thanks for the updates!
It is nice to see Princess Kako training for future solo engagements.

:previous:

You're welcome :flowers:

Yesterday, February 28, Prince Akishino and Princess Kako visited the Ohara Museum of Art in Kurashiki, Okayama.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom