Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko Current Events Part 2: November 2006 - April 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Akishino will succeed his brother, and then Hisahito after him.

HIH the Princess Akishino Kiko was present at the 58th Sankei Children's Publishing Award ceremony on June 9th, 2011 in Tokyo.

**Pic** - credits Kyodo

Kiko looks very nice; I like her in pastel colors.

TIH the Prince Akishino and the Princess Kiko have visited Iwaki City, Fukushima Prefecture to encourage people affected by earthquake and destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant on June 17th, 2011.

**Pic** - credits Kyodo

HIH the rince Akishino took part in a commemorative ceremony of the "Source of Innovation: Back to the Origin,” the IEEE International Communications Conference (ICC 2011) in Kyoto June 28th, 2011.
The Prince thanked all IEEE ICC 2011 participants and expressed their sympathies to the many individuals suffering losses during the country’s recent tragic events. - Source

TIH the Prince Akishino and the Princess Kiko visited Kesennuma (Miyagi pref) on June 27th, 2011.

Video **Pic** - credits Mainichi

Not only Princess Haya holds an umbrella for her beloved hubby!:flowers:

Last edited:
I think Kiko looks cute with her umbrella! I like the way she is consistently pleasant and never looks put out or bored.
(But I wish she would wear brighter colors sometimes).

Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko visited the annual Tokyo International Book Fair in Tokyo on July 7,
2011. Some 1,200 publishers and book sellers from 30 countries exhibit at a four-day trade show.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/daylife **

During the visit to Ishinomaki (Miyagi pref) last week.

**Pic** - Mainichi

Prince Akishino, Princess Kiko and Prince Hisahito viewed an exhibition at the
Fire Museum in Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo on August 19, 2011.

** Pic **

They look so interested, especially Hisahito.
I like Kiko's striped jacket.

Prince Akishino watched the quarter final match between Mardy Fish of the US against Bernard Tomic
of Australia at the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships 2011 at Ariake Colosseum in Tokyo,
Japan on October 7, 2011.

** Pic **

Since HM the Emperor is ill, and HIH the Crown Prince travels to Nadai (Yamanashi pref.), it was HIH the Prince Akishino who greeted this year's recipients of autumn decorations on behalf of the monarch.
The Prince read the address from the Emperor to this year's winners.
This is the first time that Prince Akishino meets 2 000 people on this occasion at the Imperial palace on November 15th, 2011.

photogallery - credits tbs.co.jp

TIH the Prince Akishino and the Princess Kiko met the Chairman of the National Assembly of SAR and his wife at the Imperial palace in Tokyo on November 15th, 2011.

**Pic** - credits FNN
Article in Japanese

Last edited:
Japanese Princess Kiko standing near the Bhutanese Queen Jetsun Pema during the welcoming ceremony at the Imperial palace in Tokyo on November 16th, 2011.

**Pic** - credits Getty

Thanks for the updates!:flowers:
The Bhutanese visit seems to be going well. It is nice that Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko joined Her Imperial Majesty and Crown Prince Naruhito.
On a different note, Princess Kiko's ensemble has autumn appropriate colours. Her pearls are magnificent.

HIH the Princess Kiko has visited children's hospital at Sendai pref. on November 19th, 2011. There are almost 130 patients with incurable deseases in the hospital.

**Pic** - credits Asahi.com

TIH the Prince and Princess Akishino praying for the Emperor's health at Meiji shrine.

**Pic** - Kyodo

Kiko seems to wear white quite frequently. She looks lovely.

Does she attend many events on her own?
In photographs, she mostly seems in company with her husband or other family members.

...Does she attend many events on her own?
In photographs, she mostly seems in company with her husband or other family members.
The Princess has a lot of solo engagements.
You can find it out youself if you read this thread for a few minutes, for example here, here, here and here. ;)
The Princess Kiko has honorary positions:

• Patroness of the Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Association
  • President of the Imperial Gift Foundation Boshi-Aiiku-kai
  • Honorary Vice-President of the Japanese Red Cross Society
  • Honorary Research Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
Since she is princess by marriage, she accompanies her husband during his engagements often. Just like Princess of Asturias. It makes sense.:)
The official page of the Prince and the Princess Akishino

HIH the Prince Akishino's birthday is on November 30th.
I understand that there are no new official photos for Prince and his family this year.:whistling:

Prince Akishino turns 46, gives press conference

Prince Akishino, the younger son of Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, was present at a news conference he held together with his wife, Princess Kiko, 45, ahead of his birthday.
[...]
Looking back on events in the last year, including the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis, Prince Akishino said his father was particularly busy with official duties.
The prince noted the need for the Imperial Household Agency and doctors to cooperate and be flexible to reduce the heavy burden on his father, who was discharged from the University of Tokyo Hospital last Thursday.
On recent reports that the government is looking into the possibility of allowing women to retain their Imperial status and set up a new royal family after marriage, the prince said it is up to the Diet to discuss systemic reform, but reiterated his call for listening to him and his elder brother in the course of the discussions. - Full article

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** - credits Kyodo

Pics of the Akishino family, taken on occasion of Prince Akishino´s birthday (daylife)
Pic1

Pic2
Does not Prince Akishino look quite funny with those glasses? ;)
Princess Kako is imo as pretty as her mother was at her age. pic I am so glad about that. Shortly after Hisahito´s birth I found her looking rather like some sort of "ugly duckling", especially in those grown-up dresses and with that horrible haircut (imo). (pic1, pic2) I was so sorry for her at the time. Having been such a very cute child and with such a beautiful mother (pic1, pic2) she should have been entitled to good looks. Well, obviously and luckily it seems to have been only a passing stage that most teenagers go through. It is such a pleasure to look at her now!

English articles covering the birthday news conference

Japan prince urges retirement age for emperor

Japan prince calls for imperial retirement age

Japan Prince Akishino wants emperor 'age limit' debate

Japan prince calls for imperial retirement age

Prince Fumihito, growing presence in imperial family, turns 46

Last edited:
Another pic of the news conference, article at sponichi
Another article in english (with lots of comments):
Prince Akishino says there needs to be discussion on retirement age for emperor

I agree with warnerbro when he says:
There's no need for a retirement age. The emperor's father was doing fine at 77. What is needed is a mechanism for abdication. Before the Meiji period, when State Shinto made the emperor into a god, it was very common for emperors to abdicate after only a few years.
People age differently. Some get Alzheimers at 60, others are still as lively as their grandchildren (or even more...) when they are 88. The emperor should have the possibility to abdicate if he wants to. (Although I doubt that he wants. Already some years ago, the crown prince said that he was indeed worried because of his father´s huge workload but that, according to his perception, the emperor cherished his imperial duties and would not take kindly to being "freed" of them.)
However, I am strictly against a law that would compell the emperor to step down at a certain age, if he wants it or not.

Mainichi article on the news conference:
Prince Akishino notes need to debate age limit for emperor

Last edited:
HIH the Princess Akishino Kiko at the National Olympic committee event in Tokyo today.

**Pic** - Mainichi

HIH the Princess Kiko during the luncheon with the Costarican president on December 8th, 2011.

**Pic** - Fuji TV screencapture

Like her kimono's colour and pattern.:flowers:

HIH the Princess Kiko during the luncheon with the Costarican president on December 8th, 2011.

**Pic** - Fuji TV screencapture

Like her kimono's colour and pattern.:flowers:

I like it too, very delicate.

HIH the Prince Akishino on behalf of the Emperor Akihito has performed the purification ceremony at the Imperial mausoleum in Hachioji shrine, Tokyo.
The ceremony was held to commemorate the Emperor Showa who died January 7th, 1989.
TM the Emperor and the Empress were not present due to their health.

TIH the Prince and the Princess Akishino attended the 52nd National Convention for Safe Road Traffic in Tokyo on January 17th, 2012.
PM Noda awarded prizes to the winners of best family campain for safe traffic.

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** **Pic 3** - Asahi

The prince Akishino's speech - video netTV

HIH the Princess Akishino attended the opening of 11th Tokyo International Great Quilt festival at Tokyo Dome on January 20th, 2012 on behalf of HM the Empress Michiko.
The Princess liked the quilt dedicated to the restoration of Japan after the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.

**Pic** - credits Yomiuri

Prince Akishino, Princess Kiko and Princess Kako attended a preview of a Japanese film in Tokyo on January 25, 2012.

** Pic **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom