Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was new student orientation. ANN even asked students about Kei... :ermm: :ninja: :argh:
Folks in Japan are wondering who's paying for security. There were police, a media zone, etc.

Last edited:
I red that Princess Mako has postponed her wedding till 2020. Saying she doesn't feel mature enough to get married. But many people are speculating, that the postpone announcement is a clear indication of cancelation of engagement. Some people even say that, talk about leaving their title and heritage for love sounds romantic but it's far from reality.

I think it is a good move to wait and see. Also separating him from the princess to allow her to think rationally and objectively. Obviously She loves him and convinced her parents to accept him. But from Kei side, I think people are right to worry and be concerned:

1. He proposed to her way early, while both were still students and now we know neither he nor his family have money to support his marriage. He even wanted his relatives to loan him money for the engagement gifts.

2. About his mother loan's. In some culture his mom loan is his loan and by marriage his wife loan. The issue people have with this is if kei and his mom are not financially stable, why does he want to marry early? to a princess (rich woman) non the less? romantic ideas aside, he could be a gold digger.

3. He and his family refused to hold press conference to explain the situation. while it’s true it could be to avoid further debates, it can be seen as shady and hiding some facts.

I think it is a good move to wait and see. Also separating him from the princess to allow her to think rationally and objectively. Obviously She loves him and convinced her parents to accept him. But from Kei side, I think people are right to worry and be concerned:

1. He proposed to her way early, while both were still students and now we know neither he nor his family have money to support his marriage. He even wanted his relatives to loan him money for the engagement gifts.

2. About his mother loan's. In some culture his mom loan is his loan and by marriage his wife loan. The issue people have with this is if kei and his mom are not financially stable, why does he want to marry early? to a princess (rich woman) non the less? romantic ideas aside, he could be a gold digger.

3. He and his family refused to hold press conference to explain the situation. while it’s true it could be to avoid further debates, it can be seen as shady and hiding some facts.

1. Kei and Mako have know each other for 6 years--that is hardly rushing into marriage.

2. And in other cultures Kei's mother's debt is only Kei's mother debt--if it is even a debt since the ex-boyfriend only came forward when he thought he could get money from the Imperial family.

3. Personal business should not be aired in the tabloids.

In this case other cultures don't matter, only the Japanese does. The thing with Kei's mother's debt situation is it reflects badly on him and his family, even if himself did not have anything do with it in the first place.

Family connections is a huge thing in Japan, more so if you are marrying a royal princess. Every person, man or woman, who marries a Japanese royal will have his/her lifelong resume ready to be examined by the media and the public, and any scandal will reflect negatively on the person. That's just the way it is.

There are many more tabloid stories and rumours surrounding the family (both the Akishinos and Komuros) at the moment if you know where to look.

Last edited:

agree with you

You're welcome! Those twitter responses... ouch. :sad: The departure videos have so many down votes on YouTube. However, he does have some support. In one of the videos, I heard some encouraging "ganbatte" to Kei at the airport. Ganbatte means "to do their best" or "to not give up."

Yes, I was shocked by the disproportionate amount of harsh comments (some comments elsewhere were even worse than the quoted tweets) and dislikes. Interesting that there were those cheering him on at the airport; I wonder who they were.

It does not surprise me to read that Prince Fumihito and Princess Kiko want their daughter to be financially provided for by her prospective husband after marriage (in contrast to earning a wage high enough to provide for herself or both spouses). Mako and Kako have spoken about being given a strict upbringing while their brother is pampered, which is revealing of gendered divisions underpinning Fumihito and Kiko's ideals for their family. (Or perhaps they merely realize that a large gender disparity in earnings remains part of Japanese society, but I suspect the emperor's granddaughter has much improved odds of entering high-level positions when compared to other women.)

It's also not wholly unexpected that "winning the public's blessing" for the imperial family is more important to Fumihito and Kiko than their daughter's desire to marry. That they acquiesced to having a son in 2006, eleven years out from their younger daughter's birth, could be understood as a response intended to terminate the public conflicts over the role of women in the imperial family.

However, I can't understand who leaked those reports. Assuming that the emperor and empress or Mako's parents want the engagement to be canceled, I imagine they would rather privately pressure Mako and Kei instead of leaking to the press, which lets the public continue obsessing over the story.

Thanks to Prisma, loool, and carina_a for stating such clear explanations of the problems. carina_a: If links to those tabloid stories, etc., are available, I would be interested in seeing them.

Kei should have a degree in business law from Hitotsubashi University, according to this Kyodo News article.
While working at the Tokyo law firm, Komuro attended Hitotsubashi University's graduate school at night to study business law. He graduated from the school this spring [...]

Journalist Hiroyuki Shinoda's 8/12 editorial on the coverage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/shinodahiroyuki/20180812-00092833/

- Asahi first reported on August 8 about Prince and Princess Akishino supposedly stopping the engagement.
- TV and other publications rushed to follow, leaving many people confused, thinking there as an official announcement.
- It's strange as Imperial news is under the IHA's strict control. Most newspapers and TV programs do not report anything other than official news.
- The source of the information is ambiguous. "According to stakeholder…"
- The IHA seems to be struggling against the weekly magazines, issuing 2 complaints so far.
- Excessive coverage of Kei's farewell visit to the Akishino residence on August 4. Reporters were placed at all gates of Akasaka Estate and even Kei's departure around 9pm was captured.
- Kei entered via the gate closest to the Crown Prince's residence (Togu Palace) which caused negative weekly magazine reports as that entrance is limited for the Imperial couple, Crown Prince family, and Togu Palace guests. (FYI: the CP family were away that weekend; Naruhito and Masako visiting Hyogo Prefecture and Aiko still studying abroad)
- Prince Akishino likely anticipated the media watch and sanctioned the use of Togu Palace's gate rather than a gate closer to his own residence. (IMO, the ploy failed and caused more Kei negativity.)
- Mr. Shinoda can't deny the possibility that someone is leaking information.
- Weekly magazines asked the IHA about Fordham University describing Kei Komuro as "fiancé" which resulted in the IHA issuing an unusual statement.
- There was some concern in magazines that Mako and Kei would meet in NY during her overnight layover returning from Brazil. That turned out to be false since Kei was still in Japan then.
- It's worrisome weekly magazines only report negative views on the marriage despite Mako's strong intention to marry.
- The uproar is spreading to foreign media although the coverage is different. The NY Times article criticizes the Japanese media bashing Mr. Komuro and the IHA’s reaction.
- Besides the debt dispute, there is sentiment in Japan that Mr. Komuro is unworthy because he was raised in his mother's family after his father's suicide.
- The bashing puts considerable pressure on Mako and Kei. Weekly magazines are fueling the negativity and the situation is abnormal.
- While it is important for the media to present objections or opposing views to the majority, Mr. Shinoda is worried about this one-color reporting.

Last edited:
Tabloids in Japan unafraid to question Imperial scandals | The Japan Times
[...]

The weeklies and tabloids have no direct access to the royal family, at least not through the Imperial Household Agency, and so they write whatever they want. [...] At the moment, they’re fired up about Kei Komuro, [...] in December, Shukan Josei started reporting that Komuro’s widowed mother owed money to a former boyfriend. The story was picked up by other weeklies and then the major media, the result of which has been a full-blown scandal that now incorporates sideshows about the Komuros’ religious beliefs and the deaths of Kei’s father and grandfather, both allegedly by suicide.

On Feb. 6, the Imperial Household Agency announced that the formal engagement ceremony for Mako and Komuro had been postponed until 2020, raising eyebrows across the board and prompting high-fives in the editorial offices of the weeklies. Then Josei Seven ran a scoop about Komuro going to the United States to gain an American law degree, a process that would entail three years of study. More rumors flew, the gist of which was that the Imperial Household Agency and, more specifically, Mako’s father and grandmother, Empress Michiko, wanted the couple to break up. [...] Eventually, the Imperial Household Agency announced that Komuro would attend Fordham University in New York from August. More high-fives and raised eyebrows.

These developments are regularly updated by Hiroyuki Shinoda in his column about the weeklies in Tokyo Shimbun and other publications that toe the Imperial Household Agency line when it comes to royal coverage. When Shinoda wanted to express disgust with the weeklies’ treatment of Komuro he referred to a New York Times article that said the tabloids were persecuting Komuro. The New York Times also talked about the Imperial Household Agency’s demand that Fordham remove from its home page a statement saying Komuro was the fiancee of Princess Mako, [...]

Shinoda called the Imperial Household Agency’s demand abnormal, and cited Shukan Josei as one of the instigators of Komuro-bashing, since the weekly relied on anonymous negative comments about the marriage sent to the Imperial Household Agency [...]

[...]

Another media person who has come out publicly against this narrative is Masahiko Motoki, a former editor-in-chief of Shukan Gendai. [...]

Motoki takes issue with the reporting of the debt scandal. The only “source” of information about the money owed to the former boyfriend is the boyfriend himself, who remains anonymous. Komuro and his mother have declined to speak on the record about it. Explaining that weeklies present both sides of a story even if the sources are nameless, Motoki finds it suspicious that the original revelation was based on one man’s uncorroborated version. Similarly, all subsequent quotes about dissatisfactions within the royal family come from anonymous acquaintances of the principals.

It also appears that Komuro’s intentions to seek a law degree in the United States were prompted by his employer, which offered to pay the attendant fees. In fact, he applied for a slot at Fordham before the Imperial Household Agency’s February announcement about the engagement, [...] In Motoki’s version, Komuro is a hard-working young man who wants to build a career and start a family.

Compare the coverage of Mako’s situation to that of Princess Ayako, [...] She recently announced her intention to marry commoner Kei Moriya. There’s no problem with their union because it was arranged by Ayako’s mother, Princess Hisako, but afterward it’s open season.

Hisako also arranged the marriage of Ayako’s older sister to a Shinto priest that the weeklies believe is now on the rocks. Coincidentally, the husband of the Emperor’s daughter, Sayako [...] was recently spotted by a weekly eating at a chain restaurant by himself, sparking rumors that their marriage isn’t going smoothly either. That one was supposedly arranged by Prince Akishino.

[...]

what do you mean by 'redeem itself' and by forced separation? could you explain further?

does this mean the engagement will not take place? i thought it could if the debt was repaid.

By going to the States to study for 3 years he can show the IHA, the imperial family and the people of Japan that he is a hard-working man who is able to support his hopefully future wife. These 3 years of study automatically force a long seoaration between Kei and Mako as she will remain in Japan (they've been apart for long times before when Mako studied in the UK, and their relationship survived...)

The engagement was announced about a year ago but the official ceremony is still to take place. Whether it will ever hapoen remains to be seen.

Well, if I were Mako’s parents, I wouldn’t have done the same - pause the engagement. The fiancé has got way too many rumours around him and his mother. Japanese Imperial Family is very sensitive about anything that has a potential to get them into public scandals or embarrassment.

I'd say the way they handled the case so far is what got them into a public scandal and embarrassment (but the Japanese might seenit differently).

I red that Princess Mako has postponed her wedding till 2020. Saying she doesn't feel mature enough to get married. But many people are speculating, that the postpone announcement is a clear indication of cancelation of engagement. Some people even say that, talk about leaving their title and heritage for love sounds romantic but it's far from reality.

That's indeed what was announced in early February and which seemed a forced announcement. It's not necessarily the couple that feels that they are immature (they had been together for about 5 years when their engagement was announced) but the people around them (or at least they decided that would be the best excuse to use).

This whole thing has been handled in a very odd fashion. It's surprising, because usually the Imperial family/IHA has all the i's dotted and t's crossed before any kind of public announcement. I don't suppose we'll ever know the exact sequence of events, and how we got from announcing the informal engagement, to Komura Kei heading off to law school in the US, but whatever those events were, they must have been cataclysmic. At this point I'm not sure whether the the Komura family are to blame, or Prince Akishino decided to play the stern father, or any one of dozens of other possibilities. It will be interesting to see what happens in 3 years time, with a new emperor on the throne, and Prince Akishino having assumed the status of crown prince.

I am of the opinion postponing is wise. No not everyone can come from a wealthy family. But it doesn't seem like his career is that well established either....

She may not think she cares, but she has never lived the life of a commoner..Or known that not having enough money could be a real issue...I think with the public scrutiny it could be a lot for a marriage. Their kids would potentially be the future Emperor's nieces and nephews.

Finances DO matter when choosing a partner. I care if someone has a job/career dating it matters. And I'm not speaking as a gold digger. I just look at it if someone has a steady job. I also have a steady job and working to increase my own salary for a potential family.
In my case, I am not use to the finer things in life, so a paralegal's salary combined with my own would be enough for me to be happy content. But I'm not sure it would be the case for Mako.

It seems wise for them to give him some time to build his career. Her father did mention if a few years from now they still want to marry then fine.

Really they should let the members of the female royal family at least carry on duties after they marry IF they want. But even then surely a husband should have a steady income.

Kei should have a degree in business law from Hitotsubashi University, according to this Kyodo News article.

Journalist Hiroyuki Shinoda's 8/12 editorial on the coverage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/shinodahiroyuki/20180812-00092833/

- Asahi first reported on August 8 about Prince and Princess Akishino supposedly stopping the engagement.
- TV and other publications rushed to follow, leaving many people confused, thinking there as an official announcement.
- It's strange as Imperial news is under the IHA's strict control. Most newspapers and TV programs do not report anything other than official news.

- The source of the information is ambiguous. "According to stakeholder…"
- The IHA seems to be struggling against the weekly magazines, issuing 2 complaints so far.
- Excessive coverage of Kei's farewell visit to the Akishino residence on August 4. Reporters were placed at all gates of Akasaka Estate and even Kei's departure around 9pm was captured.
- Kei entered via the gate closest to the Crown Prince's residence (Togu Palace) which caused negative weekly magazine reports as that entrance is limited for the Imperial couple, Crown Prince family, and Togu Palace guests. (FYI: the CP family were away that weekend; Naruhito and Masako visiting Hyogo Prefecture and Aiko still studying abroad)
- Prince Akishino likely anticipated the media watch and sanctioned the use of Togu Palace's gate rather than a gate closer to his own residence. (IMO, the ploy failed and caused more Kei negativity.)
- Mr. Shinoda can't deny the possibility that someone is leaking information.
- Weekly magazines asked the IHA about Fordham University describing Kei Komuro as "fiancé" which resulted in the IHA issuing an unusual statement.
- There was some concern in magazines that Mako and Kei would meet in NY during her overnight layover returning from Brazil. That turned out to be false since Kei was still in Japan then.
- It's worrisome weekly magazines only report negative views on the marriage despite Mako's strong intention to marry.
- The uproar is spreading to foreign media although the coverage is different. The NY Times article criticizes the Japanese media bashing Mr. Komuro and the IHA’s reaction.
- Besides the debt dispute, there is sentiment in Japan that Mr. Komuro is unworthy because he was raised in his mother's family after his father's suicide.
- The bashing puts considerable pressure on Mako and Kei. Weekly magazines are fueling the negativity and the situation is abnormal.
- While it is important for the media to present objections or opposing views to the majority, Mr. Shinoda is worried about this one-color reporting.

:previous: That is what is most confusing about this scenario.

It was said by Richard Lloyd Parry of The Times when Akihito's wish to abdicate was reported that "Jpnese news organisations TERRIFIED of getting reporting on Imp family wrong - they wd rather miss a scoop.. ..so source must be impeccable." (Naturally, his insight applies to the mainstream Japanese news organizations, not the tabloids.) As a consequence, quoting Prisma's summary of Mr. Shinoda's editorial, "Most newspapers and TV programs do not report anything other than official news" about the imperial family.

So it is hard for me to believe that the mainstream newspapers and television programs would have begun to reinforce the gossip magazines' negativity towards Kei Komuro and his mother without a quiet sign-off from at least one person in the highest levels of the hierarchy, for instance the emperor/prince Akishino, the PM's office, or the IHA. (Mr. Shinoda seemingly believes it, if I correctly understand the implications of being "unable to deny" the possibility of someone leaking information).

But is there no concern that abetting the negative slant could compromise the reputation of the imperial family and the IHA, who were caught unawares by the controversy? Further, why issue complaints about the weekly magazines if the IHA and the Imperial Family are the source of the leaks?

I'm afraid I don't understand what the concern was. That she might meet her "not formalized fiancé" in the absence of a chaperone, or that she might meet him at all?

And one assumes people with that sentiment will not be very supportive of the idea of female-headed imperial branches.

I am of the opinion postponing is wise. No not everyone can come from a wealthy family. But it doesn't seem like his career is that well established either....

She may not think she cares, but she has never lived the life of a commoner..Or known that not having enough money could be a real issue...I think with the public scrutiny it could be a lot for a marriage. Their kids would potentially be the future Emperor's nieces and nephews.

Finances DO matter when choosing a partner. I care if someone has a job/career dating it matters. And I'm not speaking as a gold digger. I just look at it if someone has a steady job. I also have a steady job and working to increase my own salary for a potential family.

[...]

By way of contrast, for Princess Mako, what she cares about when choosing a partner no longer matters at this time. (In any case, the couple have been privately engaged since 2013, and both have had established careers since graduation, so I am inclined to believe they have already made their choice of partner with knowledge of how much income their future family can depend on.) It is now her parents and grandparents, the Prime Minister's Office, the Imperial Household Agency, magazines and social media who will choose whether she can marry her partner, and it is the things they care about which matter now.

Last edited:
:previous: That is what is most confusing about this scenario.

[...]

So it is hard for me to believe that the mainstream newspapers and television programs would have begun to reinforce the gossip magazines' negativity towards Kei Komuro and his mother without a quiet sign-off from at least one person in the highest levels of the hierarchy, for instance the emperor/prince Akishino, the PM's office, or the IHA. (Mr. Shinoda seemingly believes it, if I correctly understand the implications of being "unable to deny" the possibility of someone leaking information).

But is there no concern that abetting the negative slant could compromise the reputation of the imperial family and the IHA, who were caught unawares by the controversy? Further, why issue complaints about the weekly magazines if the IHA and the Imperial Family are the source of the leaks?
Good points Tatiana Maria. :flowers:

The IHA is a huge organization and perhaps some departments / Imperial households are tighter lipped than others. It would be hard to prevent all leaks from happening. However, the agency managed to keep Emperor Akihito’s abdication wish a secret for several years and Princess Ayako's engagement was a surprise. I believe Akihito allowed his abdication wish to leak in a roundabout way so he and his immediate staff had deniability.

Poking around Japan's royal fandom, I see Crown Prince family supporters suspect Akishino of being the leaker to NHK. NHK leaked Princess Kiko's 3rd pregnancy, Princess Mako's marriage plans and Emperor Akihito's abdication. One user pointed out Keiji Emori of Mainichi Shimbun is close to Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko. Emori either worked for the IHA or was Mainichi's royal reporter when Mako was born and is an Akishino couple confidant. I'm not clear about his past employment. Mainichi interviewed Emori after Mako's marriage leak.

The Imperial family and IHA have largely escaped negativity - despite the embarrassment and tabloid fodder - because Mako and the Akishinos are the innocent party. Even the Togu Palace gate blunder was (wrongly) blamed on Kei. After all, Kei isn't driving himself into Akasaka Estate. He was picked up and driven by Akishino staff. Most people missed that nuance, bashing Kei for breaking protocol, being conceited, etc. Only Crown Prince family fans pointed out that Prince Akishino was at fault. I wonder if it was deflection... magazines briefly focused on the gate "problem" instead of New York/postponement.
I'm afraid I don't understand what the concern was. That she might meet her "not formalized fiancé" in the absence of a chaperone, or that she might meet him at all?
For the most part, Japan’s mainstream media has stopped reporting on the Komuros. The tabloids are keeping up the hoopla. As for the layover in New York, it was much ado about nothing. Unfortunately, Kei is the current bunching bag. I believe the magazines were building the narrative that Kei is a negative influence on Mako. As in, why that particular route to Brazil? Mixing business and pleasure? That's bad even though the hypothetical meeting would have been brief AND the official tour was over. How expensive was that detour? When CP Naruhito visited Brazil a few months earlier, his stopover was in Miami.

There's also the perceived cost and "celebrity" perks given to Kei. He was escorted to the gate at the airport. There was security when he arrived for orientation at Fordham University. Some people believe he's undeserving of the scholarships, that he only got them as Princess Mako's boyfriend. This tabloid alleges police guard his mother Kayo's home in Yokohama and wonders how long taxpayers' money will have to fund the protection. Until 2020? It also bemoans the additional security costs when Kei returns to Japan for Christmas and New Years. Pfft, the Komuros wouldn't need security if Japan's media left them alone but that's conveniently forgotten.

Some are cynical of the IHA complaints, pointing out that both were issued about tabloids claiming Empress Michiko was pressing for a break up. It wasn't so much about protecting Mako or quieting the controversy than about protecting Michiko.

Masako gets negative press? no statement
Aiko gets negative press? no statement
Mako or Akishino negative press? no statement
Michiko gets negative press? 2 statements
By way of contrast, for Princess Mako, what she cares about when choosing a partner no longer matters at this time. (In any case, the couple have been privately engaged since 2013, and both have had established careers since graduation, so I am inclined to believe they have already made their choice of partner with knowledge of how much income their future family can depend on.) It is now her parents and grandparents, the Prime Minister's Office, the Imperial Household Agency, magazines and social media who will choose whether she can marry her partner, and it is the things they care about which matter now.
I agree. It was widely reported Princess Mako was preparing for marriage anyway and both of them had jobs. I'm not convinced all paralegals need to become lawyers or change careers to survive in/near Tokyo.

Last edited:
:previous:

Thank you, Prisma. You are extremely well-informed on the imperial family!

Poking around Japan's royal fandom, I see Crown Prince family supporters suspect Akishino of being the leaker to NHK. NHK leaked Princess Kiko's 3rd pregnancy, Princess Mako's marriage plans and Emperor Akihito's abdication. One user pointed out Keiji Emori of Mainichi Shimbun is close to Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko. Emori either worked for the IHA or was Mainichi's royal reporter when Mako was born and is an Akishino couple confidant. I'm not clear about his past employment. Mainichi interviewed Emori after Mako's marriage leak.

Very interesting! That friendship is sure to be beneficial on both sides.

The Imperial family and IHA have largely escaped negativity - despite the embarrassment and tabloid fodder - because Mako and the Akishinos are the innocent party. Even the Togu Palace gate blunder was (wrongly) blamed on Kei. After all, Kei isn't driving himself into Akasaka Estate. He was picked up and driven by Akishino staff. Most people missed that nuance, bashing Kei for breaking protocol, being conceited, etc. Only Crown Prince family fans pointed out that Prince Akishino was at fault. I wonder if it was deflection... magazines briefly focused on the gate "problem" instead of New York/postponement.

For the sake of Mako and Kei, I hope that it was nothing more than a well-intentioned blunder from Prince Akishino and not an action to discredit Kei by fooling him into committing a faux pas.

For the most part, Japan’s mainstream media has stopped reporting on the Komuros. The tabloids are keeping up the hoopla. As for the layover in New York, it was much ado about nothing. Unfortunately, Kei is the current bunching bag. I believe the magazines were building the narrative that Kei is a negative influence on Mako. As in, why that particular route to Brazil? Mixing business and pleasure? That's bad even though the hypothetical meeting would have been brief AND the official tour was over. How expensive was that detour? When CP Naruhito visited Brazil a few months earlier, his stopover was in Miami.

There's also the perceived cost and "celebrity" perks given to Kei. He was escorted to the gate at the airport. There was security when he arrived for orientation at Fordham University. Some people believe he's undeserving of the scholarships, that he only got them as Princess Mako's boyfriend. This tabloid alleges police guard his mother Kayo's home in Yokohama and wonders how long taxpayers' money will have to fund the protection. Until 2020? It also bemoans the additional security costs when Kei returns to Japan for Christmas and New Years. Pfft, the Komuros wouldn't need security if Japan's media left them alone but that's conveniently forgotten.

Kei's fault-finders are enlightening. I would never have expected that being under threat from intruders (or worse) to the extent of needing the police was a perk, or learned that a non-celebrity who knows his place should request the police to leave his mother's security at risk. :ermm:

Based on their own assessment of Kei, he is sufficiently intelligent to convince a dutiful prince to be discourteous to his beloved older brother, manipulate an innocent princess to purchase additional miles for her flight itinerary, and oblige the imperial family and IHA to seek out scholarships during their pauses in criticizing him. That ought to put their minds at rest about his capabilities. ;)

Some are cynical of the IHA complaints, pointing out that both were issued about tabloids claiming Empress Michiko was pressing for a break up. It wasn't so much about protecting Mako or quieting the controversy than about protecting Michiko.

Masako gets negative press? no statement
Aiko gets negative press? no statement
Mako or Akishino negative press? no statement
Michiko gets negative press? 2 statements

With regard to the imperial family, the cynics often emerge as correct. I wonder if the IHA will be so protective of Masako when she is empress?

Sankei reports Kei Komuro will release a document stating the financial dispute between his mother Kayo and her former fiancé has been resolved.

In the document, he wrote "I have confirmed that all financial problems have been solved." Sankei includes these quotes: "I bothered many people because I did not explain clearly." and "I am thankful for the support from the former fiancé, and I'd like to seek to obtain understanding from [him]."

Nikkei has additional details. The document repeats marriage plans are unchanged and explains the circumstances surrounding the exchange of money. It also refers to countermeasures to prevent trouble in the future. Seems like he will closely interview anyone his mother dates.

Ok, so it seems at least things are moving forward. It's been about a year since their wedding was postponed and it must be weird to be in a position that you have to 'interview' your mother's dates just because of who you are dating/(semi-)engaged to/hope to marry...

This is very interesting, but not especially surprising. One can only wonder what kind of pressure or inducements were offered to the fiancé to make him either drop his claims, or accept some kind of settlement. With Kei Komuro's connection to the Imperial family, I'm sure there were some heavy-hitters involved in the negotiations.

If I were Kei Komuro's mother, I'd be very, very careful about who I got involved with in the future.

Yeah, after this debacle, I wouldn't be surprised if Kei's mother stays single for a long time or stops dating completely. I hope the ex-fiancé and Prince Akishino are satisfied.

Asahi hasn't reported the news yet. Mainichi did but the article requires membership/subscription.

I suppose we'll only know Prince Akishino's acceptance whenever the IHA announces new dates for the engagement/marriage ceremonies or maybe he'll talk about Mako at his next birthday press conference?

ETA: English Mainichi updated ... Princess Mako's boyfriend to announce money problems resolved - The Mainichi
Kei Komuro, the longtime boyfriend of Princess Mako, will soon announce his family has resolved financial issues that have caused the couple's marriage to be postponed, sources close to the matter said Monday.

The 27-year-old Komuro will release a written statement, apparently responding to a remark by Prince Fumihito [...] that Komuro and his family should make a certain response if they want the wedding to go ahead.

In the statement, Komuro will say he has "confirmed all of the financial issues were resolved," according to the sources. He will also apologize for causing "trouble to many as I did not explain clearly."

Princess Mako, also 27, has been informed that Komuro will release the statement. They maintain a strong intention to marry, the sources said.

[...]

Last edited:
Sankei reports Kei Komuro will release a document stating the financial dispute between his mother Kayo and her former fiancé has been resolved.

In the document, he wrote "I have confirmed that all financial problems have been solved." Sankei includes these quotes: "I bothered many people because I did not explain clearly." and "I am thankful for the support from the former fiancé, and I'd like to seek to obtain understanding from [him]."

Nikkei has additional details. The document repeats marriage plans are unchanged and explains the circumstances surrounding the exchange of money. It also refers to countermeasures to prevent trouble in the future. Seems like he will closely interview anyone his mother dates.

Thank you for the update, very interesting! I wonder if "he will closely interview anyone his mother dates" is a euphemism for "the IHA will closely interview ..."

Thank you for the update, very interesting! I wonder if "he will closely interview anyone his mother dates" is a euphemism for "the IHA will closely interview ..."

Or at least "the IHA will exhaustively investigate..."

I am so pleased for Princess Mako! She has looked so miserable since the announcement that the wedding will be postponed. I also commend Kei Kumoro for working hard to show how much he wants to marry Princess Mako.

Hopefully all the required ceremonies can now go forward.

Hmm... Kei's statement is out. Sankei's quotes were misleading and Nikkei was mostly wrong. Nothing about Kei interviewing Mom's future partners.

Google translation

Main points:
- Kei is very sorry to have troubled many people because he did not explain properly.
- He outlines the relationship with his mother’s former fiancé. Kayo and the man were engaged in September 2010 and preparing to start a new life together. Kei was happy for his mother’s remarriage; he was very close with this man. At the time, the trio’s relationship was like a family already.
- Kei received financial support during the engagement period and he is very thankful for the man's kindness.
- In September 2012, the man informed Kayo he wanted to cancel the engagement. She was shocked and saddened as he did not give clear reasons yet accepted when he did not change his mind.
- After inquiring about the support received during the engagement period, the man confirmed all finances and compensation have been resolved. He did not want repayment.
- Nearly a year later, in August 2013, Kayo received a letter from her former fiancé requesting the return of expenses paid during the engagement period.
- His mother was surprised as this contradicted his previous stance. She consulted an expert for advice after which she met with her former fiancé to reject his request. The ex-fiancé said he would consult an expert but the Komuros didn’t hear back.
- After that, they met by chance but the money issue never came up.
- Thus, Kei and his mother understood the matter resolved.
- They were distressed when the matter resurfaced in December 2017 based on the former fiancé’s comments.
- He and his mother are grateful for the former fiancé’s support.
- Kei would like to reach an understanding with the gentleman.

Asahi quickly got an interview with the former fiancé who asserts he does NOT consider the matter resolved. He broke off the engagement because requests for financial assistance were becoming commonplace and life had become painful. He claims during the break up, Kayo said she could only return 10,000 Yen (about $91 USD) per month; [-]an amount so small she asked him to reconsider.[/-] [Correction: he rejected the offer as too low and asked Kayo to reconsider.] He does not want gifts or meal fees returned but insists the living expenses and tuition were loans.

Princess Mako's boyfriend Komuro says money troubles settled - Mainichi
[...] Komuro acknowledged that he received financial assistance from his mother's fiance after their engagement in September 2010. However, the man unilaterally told the mother that he wanted to cancel the arrangement two years later, and told her that he had no intention of asking for the return of the money when she sounded him out about the issue. "The two confirmed that the financial matter, including assistance and compensation, had been settled completely," the statement said.

Then in around August 2013, according to Komuro, his mother received a letter from the former fiance asking for the repayment of the financial assistance. The mother, surprised by the abrupt demand that was against his previous word, sought the advice of an expert. She also told the man to his face that she could not accept his demand. The former fiance replied that he would talk to an expert, but he never contacted them about the issue again, the statement said.

"Because of these developments, my mother and I understood that the issue of assistance from the former fiance was a settled matter," Komuro wrote. However, reports about financial issues began to be reported based apparently on the fiance's comments in December 2017. "We became extremely upset because we couldn't figure out the intention of the person," he stated. [...]
ETA: I doubt this statement will convince Prince Akishino the matter is resolved... :ninja:

Last edited:
This news was also in Estonian TV ja online news. They said that, everything goes ahead as planned. But don´t think that the matter is resolved.
News about imperial family are very rare here.

I agree. It's far from resolved. The situation hasn't moved at all. Nothing really new came out.

CORRECTION: the ex-fiancé deemed Kayo's monthly 10,000 yen repayment offer too small and asked her to reconsider.

Mako’s intended asserts money woes are settled, but perhaps not: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] The former fiance of Komuro's mother issued a rebuttal to Komuro's assertion that the issue has been resolved, saying, “The trouble has not been settled.”

The man spoke to The Asahi Shimbun to respond to Komuro's statement issued earlier in the day.

He explained that he shouldered expenses that Komuro's mother had difficulty paying, such as for her son's education. The man said he was happy to do so, as he thought they would marry. But when the relationship fell apart, he decided to ask for the money back.

[...] Komuro said his mother told her former fiance that she would repay the funds she received during the engagement period, but that the man said it would not be necessary as he had “no intention to receive it back.”

[...]

It said that around August 2013, the man wrote to his mother asking for the return of expenses he shouldered during the engagement period.

The statement said his mother responded that it would be difficult to meet his request, having sought advice from legal experts.

After that, his mother didn’t hear from the man directly, the statement said.

[...]

The man who was engaged to Komuro’s mother said he spent more than 4 million yen ($36,500) on living expenses and Komuro’s school tuition in Japan and overseas due to the woman's repeated requests for financial assistance.

“I offered to break off the engagement because her demands for financial support became so frequent, and I struggled to make a living.”

According to the man, when the relationship ended, Komuro's mother said, “I can only repay about 10,000 yen a month.”

The man said he spurned the offer on grounds the sum was so small.

“It is too little, so please reconsider it,” he said he told her. “I haven’t said that I want her to return money for dinners or gifts while we were engaged."

"As for their living fees or school expenses, I intended them as a loan. I haven’t changed my mind about that, and I want my money back,” he said.

Oh dear. This is not good at all.

I have three thoughts about this. My first thought is that Kei Komuro genuinely thought this press release was a good idea and didn't think of the reprecussions of such a statement.

Second - Kei wants out of the engagement and knew this would give him that.

Thirdly - like the first, but Prince Akishino told him not to do it and he went ahead and released the statement anyway.

I honestly believe that it's the second - he wants out of the engagement. He would have known the protocols of the Imperial Family. This goes against it. If he truly wanted to fix this situation, he would have found a way to repay the sum of money and proven it to Royal family. Yet it's clear mother and son haven't and won't. To me, this is gutless and immature.

The person I feel pain for is Princess Mako. :sad:
She may have dodged a bullet...

Well, this is not good. Way to throw gasoline on a fire, Kei. I cannot imagine what he was thinking, or how he expects this to end well, especially for him, engagement or no engagement.

Back
Top Bottom