Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weird story. Although I do believe Kei in that they (or he) genuinely thought that the money provided for Kei's education was a gift. The former fiancé seems to imply it was supposed to be a gift until he decided that he didn't want to marry her and at some point decided the money was a loan after all only to become a gift when they got married. And in the end, he wanted his money back (maybe when he found out that Kei was dating a rich girl, i.e. a princess, or when he was in need of money himself).

I still feel very sorry for both Mako and Kei. I am afraid 'image/name' is everything in Japan, so it will be really hard (if at all possible) to undo the damage caused primarily by others.

So 5 1/2 years ago the former fiancée spurned the offer of 10,000 yen a month in payments as too little. But if he had accepted the offer of monthly installment payments on the “gift turned loan” he now would have already received over 600,000 yen and still be getting installments. Instead he has nothing.
I wonder if he thought he could get paid off by the Imperial family?

Last edited:
Oh dear. This is not good at all.

I have three thoughts about this. My first thought is that Kei Komuro genuinely thought this press release was a good idea and didn't think of the reprecussions of such a statement.

Second - Kei wants out of the engagement and knew this would give him that.

Thirdly - like the first, but Prince Akishino told him not to do it and he went ahead and released the statement anyway.

[...]
Kei isn't exactly going against Prince Akishino though. Last August, Mainichi reported the Akishino couple wanted the Komuros to have a press conference explaining the situation to gain public support.
Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko made multiple requests to the Komuros to explain about the reports. They asked the Komuros, who said the matter was "not a problem," to hold a press conference on the subject to seek the public's understanding, but their requests have not been fulfilled.
More pressure came at Prince Akishino's birthday interview in late November. [Mainichi]
The Komuro side "needs to clear the issue," Prince Akishino said of the financial dispute hanging over the family, asking them to make their explanations publicly.
Clearly Prince Akishino wanted a public response. This written statement addresses the essentials. Kei and his mother are sticking to the former fiancé’s initial decision that repayment was not needed. The man changed his mind and for whatever reason, did not follow up after Kayo declined his 2013 request until Kei turned out to be Mako's intended husband.

Even if he found Kayo's initial repayment offer too small, why not accept it then? He would have gotten a small fraction back by now. Besides the money, I think he feels sour that he missed out on the chance to be connected with the Imperial family however remotely.

There doesn't seem to be any legal document clarifying gift vs. loan so technically, it's correct the Komuros are not bound to repay what was willingly given between 2010-2012. However, morally / as a matter of honor, the Komuros should repay the man... This is a bigger issue than "who gets to keep the ring after a broken engagement."
Well, this is not good. Way to throw gasoline on a fire, Kei. I cannot imagine what he was thinking, or how he expects this to end well, especially for him, engagement or no engagement.
He's probably stuck between his mother and Prince Akishino.
Weird story. Although I do believe Kei in that they (or he) genuinely thought that the money provided for Kei's education was a gift. The former fiancé seems to imply it was supposed to be a gift until he decided that he didn't want to marry her and at some point decided the money was a loan after all only to become a gift when they got married. And in the end, he wanted his money back (maybe when he found out that Kei was dating a rich girl, i.e. a princess, or when he was in need of money himself).

I still feel very sorry for both Mako and Kei. I am afraid 'image/name' is everything in Japan, so it will be really hard (if at all possible) to undo the damage caused primarily by others.
It would have been better to admit defeat, apologize, and negotiate with the former fiancé and then release a statement... However both parties are digging in. Who's to say the former fiancé will adhere to any agreement? Apparently he already changed his mind once.

Last edited:
It would have been better to admit defeat, apologize, and negotiate with the former fiancé and then release a statement... However both parties are digging in. Who's the say the former fiancé will adhere to any agreement? Apparently he already changed his mind once.

Yes, this had occurred to me too. The former fiance is the essence of unreliable, and it certainly looks as though he sees Kei Komuro's connection to the Akishino family as his ticket to some hefty compensation.

Less and less am I seeing this ending in a way that will allow the Komuros to save face, and for the marriage to take place, but I would love, so much, to be wrong.

It would have been better to admit defeat, apologize, and negotiate with the former fiancé and then release a statement... However both parties are digging in. Who's to say the former fiancé will adhere to any agreement? Apparently he already changed his mind once.

I honestly thought that was what the statement would be - that the debt/loan/whatever-it-is had been paid in full and that the matter is now closed.

This statement is just plain weird.

On January 23rd, the ex-fiancé received a letter requesting a meeting from Kayo via the Komuro's attorney.
Source: Sankei

At a regular press conference on January 28th, reporters asked Vice Grand Steward Yasuhiko Nishimura about Kei Komuro's statement and Prince Akishino's reaction. Nishimura replied "It is a matter of the Komuro family. I am not in a position to comment; I have not thought about any special measures." He had not heard how Prince Akishino received the statement, whether it satisfied the public explanation the prince wanted of the Komuros.
Sources: Sankei, Asahi

Last edited:
On January 23rd, the ex-fiancé received a letter requesting a meeting from Kayo via the Komuro's attorney.
Source: Sankei

At a regular press conference on January 28th, reporters asked Vice Grand Steward Yasuhiko Nishimura about Kei Komuro's statement and Prince Akishino's reaction. Nishimura replied "It is a matter of the Komuro family. I am not in a position to comment; I have not thought about any special measures." He had not heard how Prince Akishino received the statement, whether it satisfied the public explanation the prince wanted of the Komuros.
Sources: Sankei, Asahi

Do we know who made the information public about the requested meeting between the ex-fiance and Kayo? It sounds as though the pressure on the ex-fiance might be ratcheting up. Does he actually want to settle this matter, or does he want to milk it for as long as he can?

The Vice Grand Steward's statement is to be expected, and also taken with a grain of salt.

my intake of the situation is the fiancé wanted the money back but since Kei and his mother were poor, he postponed or dropped the request but when he knew the son is planning to marry a princess, he changed his mind. He probably thought if their finances improved, they should pay him first

Im surprised by the people who insists to fault prince Akishino. What should the man do? his daughter brought this guy home and wanted to marry him. He agreed and Kei disappointed him and put him and his daughter in center of public scandal.

Kei and his mom didn't calculate things correctly and didn't expect the media to find every detail about their lives. They insisted to keep silent initially. Now kei released a statement that the fiancé is contradicting. Should the prince pay this money? put pressure to solve the issue for kei. People who claim it’s a gift. Maybe at one point it was but the amount of money is big for Kei and his mom to accept it shamelessly ( it would be a different story if the marriage took place and this guy became Kei step dad). I hope for princess sake the matter settled in honorable way for her to marry.

That poor girl.
She is a pawn in a chess game that went wrong.
When she told her parents she wanted to marry I am sure they ordered her to wait for the right moment. The imperial family is desperately trying to establish female branches in order to keep the princesses in the family. If Mako marries before they have successfully established legislation that allows her to stay a member of the family, she will – in all probability – be out for good.

The wish to keep her and her sister and Aiko around is quite understandable, and it makes a lot of sense. The emperor and empress, being experts in what they do, know quite well that if people who have lived as commoners for two generations (or more) were suddenly confronted with the restrictions and demands of imperial life, this could end in a catastrophe. So, bringing back the ōke is not an actual option. They know, too, that Hisahito cannot do all by himself. As a consequence, they need the princesses. Urgently.

But, politically speaking, the outlook for them is very gloomy. Abe seems resolved on staying Prime Minister forever, and he is strictly opposed to female branches. So, Mako had to wait until the right opportunity came: the moment when Abe – much against his inclination – was forced to face the „imperial problem“ and change legislation in order to let Akihito abdicate. He would not have done it but for the overwhelming support Akihito gained from the public for his wish.
From the point of view of the imperial family, that was the right moment for Mako to go public with her engagement - in the hope of making it blatantly clear to the Japanese people that the imperial family faces extinction in the near future if they let her and her sister and cousin leave the family and in the hope of using public support in a second instance and forcing Abe to pass a second law he did not want.

It could have worked – as we saw during the abdication debate, the questions of the imperial line and workload could indeed not be avoided. But, unfortunately (from the imperial point of view), Abe was successful in keeping the (by him) unwanted change to the absolute minimum by saying they would discuss the question of imperial workload and female branches leisurely - after Naruhitos ascension... If everything had gone as originally planned, Mako would have already been a commoner by the time of that debate. It would have needed extra legislation then to bring her back – extra legislation that nobody reasonably can hope for.

I would have had some understanding for the proceedings of the imperial family, namely the empress and Prince Akishino (and, behind them, the emperor), if they had asked the couple just for a little bit more time. But by letting the press loose on them, they have destroyed all prospects for them to ever marry (unless they elope to the US which I doubt).

For me, that´s inexcusable. I understand that they want to save the monarchy, and I see their point. But there should be a limit to the cruelty. By their treatment of the current crown princess they have crossed the line, and now, they are crossing it again by separating Mako from her chosen partner.

And yes, I do believe that the imperial family knew before the engagement all that there was to know about Kei and his family. Further, I do believe that they could have gotten the press to deal with the Komuros in a much nicer way if they had wanted to. Actually, I happen to think that it´s the imperial family who leaked the info about the fiance to the press in the first place, in order to stop the marriage when they saw that Abe would not relent. They have their means of „inofficially leaking things“ - Akihito used it (quite justly, imo) when his wish to abdicate was being ignored by the government for years. Michiko is famous for her skills in dealing with the press.

I am sure they wish Mako all the best – but they are still intent on sacrificing her happiness to the monarchy. In my opinion, a cause that is good in itself can be finally rendered evil if it is attained by cruel and inhuman means. Akihito and Michiko will probably not live to see it. But I am afraid they are creating a monster.

Last edited:
That poor girl.
She is a pawn in a chess game that went wrong.
When she told her parents she wanted to marry I am sure they ordered her to wait for the right moment. The imperial family is desperately trying to establish female branches in order to keep the princesses in the family. If Mako marries before they have successfully established legislation that allows her to stay a member of the family, she will – in all probability – be out for good.

The wish to keep her and her sister and Aiko around is quite understandable, and it makes a lot of sense. The emperor and empress, being experts in what they do, know quite well that if people who have lived as commoners for two generations (or more) were suddenly confronted with the restrictions and demands of imperial life, this could end in a catastrophe. So, bringing back the ōke is not an actual option. They know, too, that Hisahito cannot do all by himself. As a consequence, they need the princesses. Urgently.

But, politically speaking, the outlook for them is very gloomy. Abe seems resolved on staying Prime Minister forever, and he is strictly opposed to female branches. So, Mako had to wait until the right opportunity came: the moment when Abe – much against his inclination – was forced to face the „imperial problem“ and change legislation in order to let Akihito abdicate. He would not have done it but for the overwhelming support Akihito gained from the public for his wish.
From the point of view of the imperial family, that was the right moment for Mako to go public with her engagement - in the hope of making it blatantly clear to the Japanese people that the imperial family faces extinction in the near future if they let her and her sister and cousin leave the family and in the hope of using public support in a second instance and forcing Abe to pass a second law he did not want.

It could have worked – as we saw during the abdication debate, the questions of the imperial line and workload could indeed not be avoided. But, unfortunately (from the imperial point of view), Abe was successful in keeping the (by him) unwanted change to the absolute minimum by saying they would discuss the question of imperial workload and female branches leisurely - after Naruhitos ascension... If everything had gone as originally planned, Mako would have already been a commoner by the time of that debate. It would have needed extra legislation then to bring her back – extra legislation that nobody reasonably can hope for.

Welcome! A nice and informed comment, and I hope you will post your thoughts again in the future.

Your summary of the developments aptly brings to attention the Emperor's (and Empress's) skill at maneuvering the media and public opinion to support his stances and wishes – as well as the fact that the Prime Minister has proven himself to be adept at outwitting them all.

From your post, I can understand that the "coincidence" of the informal public engagement of Mako and Kei (many years after they became engaged privately) occurring at precisely the moment when it was most likely to persuade the public to support female branches was likely not accidental. Unfortunately, at this point the engagement too has been spun in Abe's favor - when Kei is held in contempt merely as a potential husband of a commoner removed from the imperial family, he would certainly not be held in any less contempt as a potential imperial prince.

I would have had some understanding for the proceedings of the imperial family, namely the empress and Prince Akishino (and, behind them, the emperor), if they had asked the couple just for a little bit more time. But by letting the press loose on them, they have destroyed all prospects for them to ever marry (unless they elope to the US which I doubt).

For me, that´s inexcusable. I understand that they want to save the monarchy, and I see their point. But there should be a limit to the cruelty. By their treatment of the current crown princess they have crossed the line, and now, they are crossing it again by separating Mako from her chosen partner.

And the tragic irony is that the anticipated dire straits from which they are trying to save the monarchy were set in motion by the very sacrifices to which the emperor and empress compelled their children(-in-law) (and then-Prime Minister Koizumi) to submit in the 2000s.

- It was their attempts to force the production of a male heir that lessened the number of senior royals working for the monarchy, since the Crown Princess fell seriously unwell from the pressure for an extended time, and with still no guarantee that she will ever be able to undertake full-time public activities.

- Their treatment of Masako and Naruhito also multiplied the strains in the family and provoked the public family feud, which for years contributed to undermine the crown prince and crown princess's credibility with the public. As you pointed out, the much-admired emperor was at least capable of forcing Abe to concede a watered-down abdication. But I cannot see Naruhito enjoying a level of respect from the people that would pressure Mr. Abe or future prime ministers to comply with his wishes regarding female branches or other issues.

- Their actions to prevent the enactment of Koizumi's planned bill in 2006 were what finally ensured the imperial family would become radically smaller over the next 40-50 years - likely shrinking to 2 working royals at the lowest point (whereas as many as 16 just in Aiko's generation would have been possible had they just passively allowed Koizumi's reforms to succeed).

And yes, I do believe that the imperial family knew before the engagement all that there was to know about Kei and his family. Further, I do believe that they could have gotten the press to deal with the Komuros in a much nicer way if they had wanted to. Actually, I happen to think that it´s the imperial family who leaked the info about the fiance to the press in the first place, in order to stop the marriage when they saw that Abe would not relent. They have their means of „inofficially leaking things“ - Akihito used it (quite justly, imo) when his wish to abdicate was being ignored by the government for years. Michiko is famous for her skills in dealing with the press.

I am sure they wish Mako all the best – but they are still intent on sacrificing her happiness to the monarchy. In my opinion, a cause that is good in itself can be finally rendered evil if it is attained by cruel and inhuman means. Akihito and Michiko will probably not live to see it. But I am afraid they are creating a monster.

I have doubts about the imperial family playing a role in the first leaks. Ms. Komuro's ex-fiancé has seemed extremely willing to do his part in tarnishing the reputation of his former fiancée and her son. Assuming the imperial family were aware of the financial dispute from the beginning, they had the wherewithal to leak it at an earlier stage, but apparently did not take that route, and indeed Prisma noted that they seemed to be shutting out the tabloid reports and hoping for the best during the initial few weeks of bad press.

But I agree with you that the emperor and empress and Prince and Princess Akishino have made it apparent that they condone the shaming of Kei Komuro and his mother. As unfeeling as it may seem, the more blame is focused on the Komuros, the more sympathy the imperial family and Imperial Household Agency can garner as a distraction from their own responsibility.

Last edited:
Welcome! A nice and informed comment, and I hope you will post your thoughts again in the future.
Thank you very much, for the friendly welcome and for the compliment.

From your post, I can understand that the "coincidence" of the informal public engagement of Mako and Kei (many years after they became engaged privately) occurring at precisely the moment when it was most likely to persuade the public to support female branches was likely not accidental.
I am, for one, convinced that it was not.
At the time of the expert hearings concerning the imperial succession, female branches etc., several years ago, Prince Akishino was on his birthday press conference asked for his thoughts on the issue. He said he´d prefer the lawmakers to come to a decision quickly as he wanted his daughters to marry early. I found that odd at the time because Akishino never struck me as the type of father who would pay that much attention to the emotional needs of his daughters as to have a strong opinion on when they should marry. So, when Mako´s engagement was published and it was made known that the couple had been together for years, I had a lightbulb moment: when Akishino made that remark about early marriage, he clearly was already aware of Mako´s commitment to Komuro.

Their actions to prevent the enactment of Koizumi's planned bill in 2006 were what finally ensured the imperial family would become radically smaller over the next 40-50 years - likely shrinking to 2 working royals at the lowest point (whereas as many as 16 just in Aiko's generation would have been possible had they just passively allowed Koizumi's reforms to succeed).
Yes, it is indeed ironic that the emperor and empress are now fighting and struggling to get a law passed that they themselves helped to prevent but a few years ago.
Had Princess Kiko´s third pregnancy been published but a few months later than it actually was, imperial princesses would by now in all probability have the right to stay in the family when they marry.

I have doubts about the imperial family playing a role in the first leaks. Ms. Komuro's ex-fiancé has seemed extremely willing to do his part in tarnishing the reputation of his former fiancée and her son.
I suppose there are - in the lives of all of us - some people who would be quite happy to tarnish our reputation (particularly if they had the additional hope of getting a financial benefit from it) if the opportunity arose. Fortunately, that is not that often the case as most of us don´t intend to marry a royal.
The imperial family is used to dealing with the pitfalls that come with a life in the spotlight. They are known to usually ignore that sort of nastiness (and at the utmost comment it by saying they won´t comment). By asking Komuro for a press conference, Prince Akishino lent a credibility to those tabloid stories that they could not have attained in any other way.
I may be wrong in my guess that the imperial family leaked the rumours. But if they did not they certainly made the most of them to put down Komuro. Much more imo than was necessary in order to save their own face. Besides, I think the timing is highly suspicious. Why did not the fiancé come forward right after the engagement was made public? Why wait such a long time? From his point of view, the timing makes no sense whatsoever. From the point of view of the imperial family, in contrast, it would be perfectly logical...
Besides, if you take a closer look it´s a really really harmless story. I tend to believe Komuros explanation. He may be naive but he is honest. Compare the accusations against his mother to those against the grandfather of the crown princess (Egashira). I do not think that there is any room for debate in that her family background is much worse than Komuros in that respect. Still, she is the crown princess and will be the empress. But Komuro would not be deemed worthy of marrying a princess who would become a commoner anyway after the wedding? Give me a break.

The imperial family is making this much bigger than it had to be. They could have done the contrary. After the engagement, there were tabloid stories quoting people close to Komuro who said he was such a noble character that he would be worthy of being a prince. I think we see the influence of the imperial family there clearly... If they did not leak the rumours against Komuro it, at least, would have been in their power to get other tabloids to defend him. But they did not. Komuro´s reputation does not matter to them. That of the Empress, however, obviously matters very much as someone - was it you? sorry, I forgot - already took the trouble of pointing out in this thread.

Last edited:
The IHA released Princess Kako's written answers to press questions for her graduation from university. She was asked about Mako's marriage postponement and rather than avoiding the topic, Kako fully supports her sister and subtly takes a swipe at the media.

Princess Kako wishes for sister's happiness on graduation - The Mainichi
[...] The princess commented on the postponement of the marriage between her sister Princess Mako, 27, and Kei Komuro following reports that Komuro's family is involved in a financial dispute. "I would like my sister's wishes to be met, as I believe the important detail is how they feel about each other," she said.

[...]
Japanese Mainichi article has the full written answers

Google translation regarding the media: "In addition to my sister's [postponement], I have always felt that when I receive information from the media etc, I think it is important to carefully consider the reliability of the information and the intention of sending information. Through this case, I once again feel the importance of firmly thinking in a society full of information."

ETA: English Asahi has better translation

Princess Kako graduates, addresses media furor over sister: The Asahi Shimbun
[...] “I hope my sister’s wish as a private individual comes true,” Kako said in the statement.

She also urged people to be cautious about the streams of information available from various sources in this day and age.

"This is not limited to my sister’s case, but I have always felt that it is important to consider the credibility of information and intention of disseminating it before accepting the information from the media and others," she said. "I have a renewed realization for the importance of thinking well in a society brimming with information."

[...]

Last edited:
Kei Komuro graduated from Fordham University with a Master's degree in law. He did not attend the graduation ceremony on May 20 but Japan's ANN media covered the event anyway, showing his seat placeholder and interviewing his classmates.

Kei is expected to continue at the same university for a Juris Doctorate degree in August. His representative reports Kei has no plans to return to Japan during the summer.

Sources: news.tv-asahi.co.jp, news.tv-asahi.co.jp2

Kei Komuro graduated from Fordham University with a Master's degree in law. He did not attend the graduation ceremony on May 20 but Japan's ANN media covered the event anyway, showing his seat placeholder and interviewing his classmates.

Kei is expected to continue at the same university for a Juris Doctorate degree in August. His representative reports Kei has no plans to return to Japan during the summer.

Sources: news.tv-asahi.co.jp, news.tv-asahi.co.jp2
So, the poor guy is forbidden to return to Japan for the summer, just to make sure he won't spend time with his (unofficial) fiancée?

But are Princess Mako and Kei Komuro still together?

But are Princess Mako and Kei Komuro still together?

As far as I know they are. He is to redeem himself by his studies in the US to show that he is worthy of his princess it seems...

That’s true love if we ever saw it.....Princess Mako waits for her ‘prince’ and when Kei Komuro is allowed home after he shows he is worthy of her, she will give up being a princess for him. I would not be surprised if they moved from Japan to start their life. He could be a international lawyer, working anywhere. It might be for the best without royal family pressure. I hope their dreams come true. Time will tell.

Hm

I am, for one, convinced that it was not.
At the time of the expert hearings concerning the imperial succession, female branches etc., several years ago, Prince Akishino was on his birthday press conference asked for his thoughts on the issue. He said he´d prefer the lawmakers to come to a decision quickly as he wanted his daughters to marry early. I found that odd at the time because Akishino never struck me as the type of father who would pay that much attention to the emotional needs of his daughters as to have a strong opinion on when they should marry. So, when Mako´s engagement was published and it was made known that the couple had been together for years, I had a lightbulb moment: when Akishino made that remark about early marriage, he clearly was already aware of Mako´s commitment to Komuro.

Yes, it is indeed ironic that the emperor and empress are now fighting and struggling to get a law passed that they themselves helped to prevent but a few years ago.
Had Princess Kiko´s third pregnancy been published but a few months later than it actually was, imperial princesses would by now in all probability have the right to stay in the family when they marry

Prince Akishino gains nothing from this engagement with kei komuro. The timing of the leak about mako's engagement by NHK... is about the same time of Emperor Akihito's living abdication plan leak and a few days before that Mako was having a car accident on her way to airport.

As for the press who try to fish some remarks from akishino by asking hard, political and controversial questions... That's nothing new. They asked him about what he thinks about the imperial household law revision. Can he answers "women shouldn't inherit the throne" or "women should be allowed to inherit"? He can't say either, so the "concerned parent" answer is the most safe.

Also, The press shouldn't ask unrelated questions in any press conference. They ask about Mako's engagement in the press conference about the current Poland-Finland trip. What was he supposed to say? The Japanese don't like Kei Komuro and expecting a break up (this is especially true for fans of Akishino family who always expect perfection).

They expect Prince Akishino to forcefully break Mako's engagement.The newspaper will have their headlines about how cruel Prince Akishino is as a father and how controlling he is, how the Monarchy is outdated, etc.. They will also compare him against his brother and father, since both Emperors gave passive acceptance to this engagement eventhough the criticism on the internet is boiling. And the international opinion will.... some of you will probably riot here. Prince Akishino as a father can't stop this engagement, he is not the Emperor who have veto power for that.

Besides the disapproval for kei komuro also leads to the opinion that Prince Akishino failed Mako's education as a princess and there's no way Hisahito will be a proper Emperor.

Kako was also bashed for her support remarks to Mako.
"Both princesses are too free" they said.

"Make Aiko the Emperor, banish all of Akishino family!"
While supporting Aiko they make Mako miserable by spreading ugly rumour about kei and mako. How can i ignore this hypocrisy?

Prince Akishino is not that cunning. He's always the "free brother with no responsibility" since he's young.
Even if he's ambitious, why would he risks anything if he already have Hisahito?
The ones who try to include female inheritance was probably Emperor Akihito.

This Kei Komuro issue also spread to Hisahito's disinheritance theory, i don't think they'll continue the engagement if they keep continuing like this.

Prince Akishino gains nothing from this engagement with kei komuro. The timing of the leak about mako's engagement by NHK... is about the same time of Emperor Akihito's living abdication plan leak and a few days before that Mako was having a car accident on her way to airport.
The leaks were nearly a year apart and Mako’s car incident was super minor. Her marriage plans leaked during government discussions to get the abdication legislation passed.

July 13, 2016: NHK leak of Emperor Akihito’s desire to abdicate
April 26, 2017: minor car incident where the car carrying Princess Mako from work (not the airport) hit a median and got a flat tire
May 16, 2017: NHK leak of Princess Mako’s marriage plans
As for the press who try to fish some remarks from akishino by asking hard, political and controversial questions... That's nothing new. They asked him about what he thinks about the imperial household law revision. Can he answers "women shouldn't inherit the throne" or "women should be allowed to inherit"? He can't say either, so the "concerned parent" answer is the most safe.

Also, The press shouldn't ask unrelated questions in any press conference. They ask about Mako's engagement in the press conference about the current Poland-Finland trip. What was he supposed to say? The Japanese don't like Kei Komuro and expecting a break up (this is especially true for fans of Akishino family who always expect perfection).
Everyone gets asked about succession / shrinking Imperial family / current Imperial law at some point. The royals are expected to refrain from answering to maintain a non-political stance.

The IHA prescreens all questions and allowed it probably because they know everyone is curious after Kei Komuro’s statement in January. I expect the question again at CP Akishino’s birthday press conference in November. There are only a few opportunities for the media and Imperial family to interact.
They expect Prince Akishino to forcefully break Mako's engagement.The newspaper will have their headlines about how cruel Prince Akishino is as a father and how controlling he is, how the Monarchy is outdated, etc.. They will also compare him against his brother and father, since both Emperors gave passive acceptance to this engagement eventhough the criticism on the internet is boiling. And the international opinion will.... some of you will probably riot here. Prince Akishino as a father can't stop this engagement, he is not the Emperor who have veto power for that.

Besides the disapproval for kei komuro also leads to the opinion that Prince Akishino failed Mako's education as a princess and there's no way Hisahito will be a proper Emperor.
I haven't seen the media, at least Japan's media, claiming the monarchy is outdated or blaming Prince Akishino. Western media certainly doesn't see the debt dispute as a problem. In Japanese press, the wife is usually blamed instead of the born-royal husband. There have been rumors of a rift between Mako and Kiko. I'm not sure about the comparison with the retired and new emperors. They gave their acceptance/congratulations before the debt rumors surfaced and have been quiet since. The media dragged Michiko into the drama, forcing her to issue 2 denials.

Akishino fans blame the Komuros. Sure, they were conflicted about Mako leaving on marriage but now the drama is allowing Mako to stay a princess longer. They probably want a break up so Mako can find a better/richer partner.

ETA: Emperor doesn't have veto power and doesn't need to approve the marriage. I believe Japan's constitution states marriage is mutual consent between the individuals. Of course, in reality parental/societal approval is sought after/desired by an engaged couple.
Kako was also bashed for her support remarks to Mako.
"Both princesses are too free" they said.

"Make Aiko the Emperor, banish all of Akishino family!"
While supporting Aiko they make Mako miserable by spreading ugly rumour about kei and mako. How can i ignore this hypocrisy?
Who are "they"? Media? Aiko fans? Akishino fans are just as bad, spreading rumors and negativity about Aiko. The media cycles through targets. Masako and Aiko were bashed for years while the Akishino family got glowing reports. Wait a while and I'm sure Masako will be targeted again once the positivity after enthronement fades.
Prince Akishino is not that cunning. He's always the "free brother with no responsibility" since he's young.
Even if he's ambitious, why would he risks anything if he already have Hisahito?
The ones who try to include female inheritance was probably Emperor Akihito.

This Kei Komuro issue also spread to Hisahito's disinheritance theory, i don't think they'll continue the engagement if they keep continuing like this.
I don't think Prince Akishino is so carefree anymore. His family has the unexpected burden of succession. Their security and lifestyle will change dramatically although he's trying to keep some of benefits of an Outer Court royal. What is Akishino risking? I very much doubt Hisahito will be disinherited.

Last edited:
As expected, the status of Princess Mako's marriage surfaced again at the press conference for Crown Prince Akishino's 54th birthday.

His stance is unchanged and he hasn't spoken to Mako about the sensitive topic but the Crown Prince appears to want a response by February.

Japan crown prince urges daughter to update public on marriage - Kyodo News+
Crown Prince Fumihito, the younger brother of Emperor Naruhito, has urged his daughter Princess Mako to update the public on her marriage to university boyfriend Kei Komuro by February, two years after their wedding postponement was announced.

"This coming February marks two years (since the postponement announcement)," the crown prince said at a press conference held before his 54th birthday on Saturday. "I believe something must be announced about it."

[...]

Last year, the prince urged Komuro's family to resolve outstanding issues if they want the wedding to go ahead, saying their marriage should be something that is "celebrated by many people."

The crown prince said this time that his stance "has not changed" from what he said last year, adding he has not spoken with Princess Mako about her marriage or contacted the Komuros.

[...]
Some magazine articles:

bunshun: Akishino will be formally invested as Crown Prince on April 19 next year. He or the IHA probably want a decision before then as the uncertain marriage status has been a distraction long enough.

jisin.jp 1: Allegedly, neither Princess Mako nor Princess Kako have inclinations to remain in the Imperial family and lead female branches due to possible upcoming legislation. They were raised with the expectation they will become private citizens on marriage and look forward to freedom from the limitations of royal life.

jisin.jp 2 alleges Princess Mako has temporarily suspended her doctoral program due to poor physical condition/absences. She enrolled in September 2016 and should have finished this August.

news-postseven claims Princess Mako remains resolute about marrying Kei Komuro and her parents avoid the topic. She is accustomed to self-control and patience due to her upbringing/royal life. It seems Mako and Kei are in frequent contact despite not seeing each other for more than a year.

Last edited:
Princess Mako’s Postponed Marriage: The Controversy and Its Impact on the Imperial Household | Nippon.com
[... Most of the article is a recap of Mako's marriage limbo ...]

The marriage problem is also impacting the debate on whether women should be allowed to head imperial households, a change being considered in response to the dwindling size of the imperial household. In 2020, the Diet will deliberate on the proposal to allow a woman to ascend to the imperial throne and the right of matrilineal succession, as well the proposal to allow women to remain members of the imperial household after marriage and continue to play a public role as such.

The possibility of a women heading an imperial household was envisaged in the case of Emperor Emeritus Akihito’s granddaughter Princess Mako. The aim of the proposal was to assist the emperor and stem a decline in the activities of the imperial household. The idea was that when her younger brother, Prince Hisahito, ascends to the throne, which would occur under the present system, she could provide him with needed support in an imperial household with a drastically reduced membership.

The succession debate will consider whether to allow spouses of female members of the imperial household and their children to also gain status as royals. But in the wake of the current marriage controversy, it seems likely that there will be passionate opposition to allowing a woman to head an imperial household, and it is possible that public opinion will also be divided over the issue.

[...]

:previous:

Thank you! The article serves as a helpful recap for anyone for whom, like me, the timeline of previous developments has faded from memory.

I've wondered too if the imperial household debate may be playing into Crown Prince Akishino's truculence.

I am in agreement with those who think the timing and rollout of Mako and Kei's engagement were calculated to strengthen the Imperial Family's argument for allowing women to head imperial households. I do not think the quotes in the press from Kei's acquaintances describing him as "prince-like" when the engagement was announced were made without the Palace's acquiescence.

Public opinion about suggested reforms will of course depend on the players involved. The update to allow female succession in Denmark in 1953 was supported by the negative feelings about the male heir. In Japan, public opinion of woman-headed households will tend to be more positive if the potential members of those households (in this test case, Princess Mako and her future husband) have won the goodwill of the public.

So, in purely political terms, I can understand why Crown Prince Akishino would prefer Princess Mako to select as a potential prince a man who the public felt had never put a foot wrong.

Last edited:

Thank you! The article serves as a helpful recap for anyone for whom, like me, the timeline of previous developments has faded from memory.

I've wondered too if the imperial household debate may be playing into Crown Prince Akishino's truculence.

I am in agreement with those who think the timing and rollout of Mako and Kei's engagement were calculated to strengthen the Imperial Family's argument for allowing women to head imperial households. I do not think the quotes in the press from Kei's acquaintances describing him as "prince-like" when the engagement was announced were made without the Palace's acquiescence.

Public opinion about suggested reforms will of course depend on the players involved. The update to allow female succession in Denmark in 1953 was supported by the negative feelings about the male heir. In Japan, public opinion of woman-headed households will tend to be more positive if the potential members of those households (in this test case, Princess Mako and her future husband) have won the goodwill of the public.

So, in purely political terms, I can understand why Crown Prince Akishino would prefer Princess Mako to select as a potential prince a man who the public felt had never put a foot wrong.

Thank you for this update about making female participation in imperial households possible in 2020. I remain nevertheless shocked that the Emperor's daughter is not included in this discussion and wonder whether she has been completely written out of the Japanese imperial playbook? Feminists in Japan (and there must be such people in this day and age) must be enraged that Princess Aiko is made non existent:bang:

I think that Princess Mako's parents would prefer someone with an aristocratic background.

Why should they? AFAIK, Princess Kiko is not of aristocratic background herself.

Why should they? AFAIK, Princess Kiko is not of aristocratic background herself.
Princess Kiko is of a middle-class background and was initially nicknamed "the apartment princess" because of that. Needless to say old Empress Nagako and the Imperial Household Agency fought with teeth and nails against the marriage.

Princess Kiko is of a middle-class background and was initially nicknamed "the apartment princess" because of that. Needless to say old Empress Nagako and the Imperial Household Agency fought with teeth and nails against the marriage.

Don't remember such stroys from the time of the engagemnt and marriage but miore about the marriage Emperor Akithito and Michiko. And before Kiko 2 of the Mikasa Princes had already married commoner too.

What I remember of the time period was that it was reported that the then Kawashima Kiko's father had objected to the newspaper reporting concerning the relationship of his daughter with the prince , feeling that it was harming his daughters reputation . Perhaps HIH Princess Mako's parents feel that in marrying a member of the former aristocracy there might be less , " hidden scandals/unexpected personal history ". Also with the current discussion on allowing Female members of the Imperial Family to form " new Imperial Families " after marriage , if the princess were to marry into a former Imperial family it would seem more "stable ".

As expected, the status of Princess Mako's marriage surfaced again at the press conference for Crown Prince Akishino's 54th birthday.

His stance is unchanged and he hasn't spoken to Mako about the sensitive topic but the Crown Prince appears to want a response by February.

Japan crown prince urges daughter to update public on marriage - Kyodo News+

Will there be any clear opportunity (press conference) in February for Princess Mako to respond, or is a written statement more probable?

Some magazine articles:

bunshun: Akishino will be formally invested as Crown Prince on April 19 next year. He or the IHA probably want a decision before then as the uncertain marriage status has been a distraction long enough.

jisin.jp 1: Allegedly, neither Princess Mako nor Princess Kako have inclinations to remain in the Imperial family and lead female branches due to possible upcoming legislation. They were raised with the expectation they will become private citizens on marriage and look forward to freedom from the limitations of royal life.

jisin.jp 2 alleges Princess Mako has temporarily suspended her doctoral program due to poor physical condition/absences. She enrolled in September 2016 and should have finished this August.

news-postseven claims Princess Mako remains resolute about marrying Kei Komuro and her parents avoid the topic. She is accustomed to self-control and patience due to her upbringing/royal life. It seems Mako and Kei are in frequent contact despite not seeing each other for more than a year.

If there is truth to the story about Princess Mako taking medical leave, I hope it is not related to the pressures of her dispute with her father and the removal of Kei to the United States - though that is sadly all too easy to believe.

Whether the princesses view royal life as limiting or not, I'm sure the couple would rather be married soon as commoners than wait many more years to be married as royalty.

Thank you for this update about making female participation in imperial households possible in 2020. I remain nevertheless shocked that the Emperor's daughter is not included in this discussion and wonder whether she has been completely written out of the Japanese imperial playbook? Feminists in Japan (and there must be such people in this day and age) must be enraged that Princess Aiko is made non existent:bang:

I think it is broadly expected that any changes to the laws of House membership would cover all three granddaughters of the Emperor Emeritus. (The Mikasa and Takamado princesses are another story because, fairly or not, they are perceived as dispensable.)

But it happens that Princess Mako is the only granddaughter whose choice of husband has been announced. Naturally it is her boyfriend who comes up for discussion. If and when Princess Aiko announces a serious boyfriend whom she wishes to marry, their proposed marriage will certainly become a topic of public conversation as well.

Will there be any clear opportunity (press conference) in February for Princess Mako to respond, or is a written statement more probable?
I expect a written statement like the postponement announcement in February 2018. She's had 2 press conferences so far: 20th birthday and (unofficial) engagement announcement.

If there is truth to the story about Princess Mako taking medical leave, I hope it is not related to the pressures of her dispute with her father and the removal of Kei to the United States - though that is sadly all too easy to believe.

Whether the princesses view royal life as limiting or not, I'm sure the couple would rather be married soon as commoners than wait many more years to be married as royalty.
I hope they will marry. Somehow the debt to Mrs. Komuro's ex-fiancé must be paid. Doesn't matter that legally they don't have to. It's a matter of honor now. I don't know if the Komuros are being stubborn and refusing to concede. Even if Kei or his mother have some savings, he probably wants to use it for his marriage/future. Perhaps the ex-fiancé is also bitter and is prolonging the drama/asking for more compensation because he missed the chance to be distantly connected to the Imperial family.

Back
Top Bottom