The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Majesty

Will Mako be allowed to visit him there?

Old 06-28-2018, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I see this as Kei Komura's chance to redeem himself/his family in the eyes of the Japanese public. He's going to go away, work hard, keep his nose clean, and prove that he has the diligence and commitment to be a good husband for one of the Imperial princesses. (That's obviously the plan, anyway.)

We'll see how it ends up playing out, but I actually think this is a very good idea. Whether the relationship will survive remains to be seen, but either way this gives both Mako and Kei Komura a chance to save face.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Sadly I believe this is the case. Hope it works out.

I doubt Mako can visit. She has her work, royal duties, and graduate school. Private trips aren't truly private for the Imperial family. There were photo ops when Mako and her father visited Hungary privately last year. Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, and CP Naruhito's private visits around Japan are reported in the news. While she doesn't receive much media coverage, the IHA announces Princess Akiko's private research trips and speaking engagements abroad.

NHK reports Kei's work will sponsor his studies in the US in addition to scholarships.

Japanese Princess Mako's Fiance to Study Law in U.S. - JIJI PRESS
Quote:
Komuro is set to study at a law school in New York for bar qualification.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:56 AM
Courtier

I wonder how much the IHA helped him in gaining this opportunity....
Old 07-03-2018, 01:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Having just watched Ayako's and Kei's press conference it occurred to me that maybe Mako will be introduced to a series of suitable young men in these coming two years? Perhaps Ayako's good fortune and it's swiftness from engagement to marriage will hearten Mako to reconsider her own choice? Never know, that might be behind the strange length of time. It's as though they want the couple to cool their ardor with Mako being shown that a really nice match might be in the cards for her like it has been for Ayako. Just some thoughts.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 AM
Heir Apparent

The IHA insists Mako and Kei intend to marry. It would be difficult and awkward to set up Mako with someone else. Even if the postponement is a cover for an eventual breakup, introducing men to Mako however discreetly during the delay seems shady and dishonest. IMO it's better to breakup/cancel engagement plans, deal with the fallout, and then find someone else.

Japan Princess Mako's fiance to study in U.S. from summer - Kyodo News
Quote:
Kei Komuro will attend the law school of Fordham University in New York starting in August, the school announced Thursday.

According to the announcement, Komuro will enter the law school's one-year program for an advanced law certification on a full scholarship and hopes to continue for two more years to receive a degree required to practice law in the United States.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if this means the couple intends to live in the US:
Quote:
"According to the announcement, Komuro will enter the law school's one-year program for an advanced law certification on a full scholarship and hopes to continue for two more years to receive a degree required to practice law in the United States."
Why else would he be trying to get a degree that allows him to practice law in the US? Also, looks to be 3 years in the US, not 2 years, so the wedding will take place during his studies and they will spend their first year of marriage in the US?

Sounds very complicated to me. Oh, to be a fly-on-the-wall with this one, not so?
Old 07-06-2018, 01:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, if they marry, she won’t be a member of the imperial family anymore. So she’s free to live wherever.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I see this as Kei Komura's chance to redeem himself/his family in the eyes of the Japanese public. He's going to go away, work hard, keep his nose clean, and prove that he has the diligence and commitment to be a good husband for one of the Imperial princesses. (That's obviously the plan, anyway.)
I think even prior to the scandal, there was pressure on Kei Komuro to prove himself to be a worthy husband for a princess. Princess Mako accepted Kei's marriage proposal in December 2013, but the announcement of their engagement was supposed to occur in autumn 2017 and the wedding in November 2018. I suspect their waiting to marry for 4-5 years was because Kei was seen as a better match as a working paralegal than as a college student who grew up with a single mother going through financial hardships due to the death of her husband.

There were both positive and negative opinions in anonymous interviews with IHA officials following the postponement, some speaking out against the Komuro family and one encouraging the couple to deal with the problem and then get married. Maybe that is an indication that there was infighting within the IHA or the imperial family over Kei Komuro's acceptability.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I think even prior to the scandal, there was pressure on Kei Komuro to prove himself to be a worthy husband for a princess. Princess Mako accepted Kei's marriage proposal in December 2013, but the announcement of their engagement was supposed to occur in autumn 2017 and the wedding in November 2018. I suspect their waiting to marry for 4-5 years was because Kei was seen as a better match as a working paralegal than as a college student who grew up with a single mother going through financial hardships due to the death of her husband.

There were both positive and negative opinions in anonymous interviews with IHA officials following the postponement, some speaking out against the Komuro family and one encouraging the couple to deal with the problem and then get married. Maybe that is an indication that there was infighting within the IHA or the imperial family over Kei Komuro's acceptability.
Agreed, and I also suspect that once Komura qualifies as a lawyer, he will look a lot more stable and acceptable than he did as a paralegal. They've already been together for a long time, so we'll see how this separation affects the relationship, and whether they are able to stay the course.

It would also be interesting to know what CP Naruhito and CP Maskao's views are on this proposed marriage, since they will be Emperor and Empress by the time Komura is finished with his schooling in the US.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The couple's decision to wait after the 2013 proposal is prudent and realistic. They were full-time students and unemployed. The initial engagement/marriage plans for 2017-2018 make sense. They've graduated and are either working full-time (Kei) or part-time (Mako) while pursuing graduate degrees and in Mako's case, attending royal duties. I hope this postponement/US law school separation makes them stronger.

Found Fordham University's announcement: Kei Komuro, fiance of Princess Mako of Japan, to attend Fordham Law
Quote:
Kei Komuro, a paralegal at the Okuno & Partners law firm in Japan [...] He has received the Michael M. Martin Scholarship. The Martin Scholarship is a merit scholarship covering the full cost of tuition from Fordham Law based on his strong academic and other credentials. The Martin Scholarship is not a loan and does not need to be repaid. He will enter the law school’s one-year LL.M. program and then hopes to continue for two more years to receive a J.D. [...]
Will he take the Japanese bar exam? I don't know how that works with a foreign degree. There was some chatter from Japanese royal watchers on twitter but the google translation was wonky.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
The announcement comes off as appreciative of Kei, emphasizing his position as the fiancé of a princess and his "academic and other" merits that deserved a full scholarship. Did Fordham University issue the announcement because it suited them or did the IHA advise them? It's apparent that this (foreign) university sees a Japanese royal fiancé as good PR for them, not - as his critics see him - as a social climber with questionable family finances.

Quote:
The couple's decision to wait after the 2013 proposal is prudent and realistic. They were full-time students and unemployed. The initial engagement/marriage plans for 2017-2018 make sense. They've graduated and are either working full-time (Kei) or part-time (Mako) while pursuing graduate degrees and in Mako's case, attending royal duties. I hope this postponement/US law school separation makes them stronger.
I really hope that it was indeed the couple who made the initial decision to wait and that through overcoming the unexpected postponement, they will set a precedent for later royal fiancés/fiancées from not wealthy families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Well, if they marry, she won’t be a member of the imperial family anymore. So she’s free to live wherever.
As seen from Kayo and Kei Komuro's difficulties, as well as Hisashi Owada's forced retirement from the International Court of Justice, even the members of the Emperor's family who are not royal are supposed to adapt and avoid causing detriment to the monarchy. If following her marriage Mrs. Mako Komuro wants to live and work abroad, I am sure she will get advance permission from the IHA and the emperor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I wonder if this means the couple intends to live in the US: Why else would he be trying to get a degree that allows him to practice law in the US? [...]
The initial reports communicated that he plans to return to his law firm in Japan following his graduation. I think it's possible he thought it was wiser to enroll in a foreign law school to relieve the scrutiny on him and his mother. Per Fordham's announcement, "This spring, 181 students were enrolled in the LL.M. program, six of them from Japan". That makes it an apparently rational choice - he will not be cut off from other Japanese people, but the limited number of Japanese students hopefully will discourage any of his classmates from dealing with the gossip magazines in Japan.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Sent away for three years?! That's quite a long period if they already were dating for years (including a year in which Mako was in the UK) and were looking forward to get married in a few months time. In that case Mako could have joined her husband; now they will be separated for years and probably only see each other once a year during summer break?
Old 07-08-2018, 02:27 AM

This sounds like princess Margaret and Peter Townsend when he was sent away. Sorry I have been watching the crown.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Sent away for three years?! That's quite a long period if they already were dating for years (including a year in which Mako was in the UK) and were looking forward to get married in a few months time. In that case Mako could have joined her husband; now they will be separated for years and probably only see each other once a year during summer break?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
This sounds like princess Margaret and Peter Townsend when he was sent away. Sorry I have been watching the crown.
It's pretty intense. Makes no sense in normal terms. Wasn't it reported that Mako was seen crying coming away from a visit to her grandparents at the time all this was happening? I thought so.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 AM
Heir Apparent

On July 17th, the IHA issued a letter to Fordham University to clarify that Kei Komuro is not Princess Mako's fiancé. Based on Imperial tradition, the Nosai-no-Gi ceremony formalizes an engagement.

Source: Sankei

Awkward… I wish the IHA left it alone. News about Kei's law school plans was starting to slow. Now the agency's letter puts the spotlight back on Kei and his limbo status.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 AM
Courtier

This is so awkward... It's like they are emphasising this point as a preamble for the marriage not going forward in the future, because it was never 'formalized'.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow, that's bad. They organized a press conference to announce they would get engaged.

The IHA really wants the two of them to break up. I feel so sorry for the couple who are clearly in love but their powerful surroundings are in attack mode and might not rest until the relationship is broken off.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
On July 17th, the IHA issued a letter to Fordham University to clarify that Kei Komuro is not Princess Mako's fiancé. Based on Imperial tradition, the Nosai-no-Gi ceremony formalizes an engagement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Wow, that's bad. They organized a press conference to announce they would get engaged.

The IHA really wants the two of them to break up. I feel so sorry for the couple who are clearly in love but their powerful surroundings are in attack mode and might not rest until the relationship is broken off.
Agree, Somebody. When I read that I found it aggressive. Not a good sign.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Nobility

I think what they need is a generational change at both the throne and the household, which seems to be running the monarchy in name of the Emperor. Horrible and very awkward, as Carina wrote.