Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't tell when and where the rumours came exactly as I first heard it from my friend who live in Japan (in the begin it's more like a gossip, later the local press dug deeper and deeper which makes the whole thing turned serious), but I try to give you some news and information. P.S. I don't read Japanese but I can roughly get the meaning by reading Kanji (it's similar/same with Chinese character) plus Google translation. I can't translate the whole article but I would try highlighting some key point/important part.

Source 1

Summary: [1] Kei's mother was introduced to the organization "A" (see Source 2) after her husband died because someone in "A" said "he can see the spirit" (she wanted to connect or communicate to her husband via the psychic). [2] Some believers of this organization caused a horrible murder case in Fujisawa in 1987 (see Source 4).

Source 2

Summary: [1] The organization "A" mentioned in Source 1 is 大山ねずの命神示教会 (see Source 3). [2] Kei's grandmother also is a believer of that organization and the imperial family doesn't feel good about that.

Source 3

Summary: The organization was founded in 1953, is a new belief which developed from Shinto.

Source 4

Summary: A man was killed and dismantled by his wife and friend (who were also believer of the organization) after he withdrew from the organization, because they believed he was possessed by devil.

It's difficult to say whether the organization is involved in it or not (or whether it's a cult or not), but I guess it does have a pretty poor reputation in Japan because of that incident. We don't know if Kei is a believer of this organization, but the press is worrying he is influenced by his family's religious preference, especially he has a very close relationship with his mother after the father died. Probably it's also doubtful to the imperial family.

BTW I put the organization's name on Google search, and one of the suggestion from Google search is "大山ねずの命神示教会 被害者", which mean victims of that organization. (I find some website say it practises mind control/brain washing but I don't see other reliable source). I know it can mean nothing but I found a bit uncomfortable.
Thank you very much for this interesting info !:flowers:

I find that the most surprising part. In any other Royal Family I could understand it possibly but the IHA has such control and access to the Imperial Family they can't have known about this and indeed we know they did know before the actual official announcement was made so why let it go on? Nothing makes sense about it IMO - the abdication was always there. Either something has come out in the press or private that has made Mako reconsider how she sees Kei but that would have to be something major, would money really just be it?!
The IHA has a bad, controlling reputation yet they do not appear to be overly involved in Mako's relationship. I'm sure the agency would have preferred to avoid the embarrassing, unprecedented postponement.

Princess Mako, Komuro met in 2012, dated with bodyguards at distance - The Mainichi
[…]

Bodyguards from the Imperial Guard are supposed to accompany Princess Mako when she goes out. However, at the request of her parents Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko, who supported Princess Mako's relationship with Komuro, the bodyguards tried to keep a distance from the couple by blending into the crowd.

[…]
Japanese culture has strong (sometimes overwhelming) emphasis on honor, family obligation, duty, loyalty, etc. I can easily imagine a big fuss over Mrs. Komuro's money dispute.

Unfortunately her debt is Kei's debt and will become Mako's debt after marriage. I'm upset with Mrs. Komuro's ex-fiance. Since he isn't letting the matter drop, can't he be discreet?

This has me wondering, what would happen if Mako or any royal princess simply went and got married without the whole rigmarole? I know she wouldn’t get the money, but would anything else be different? I mean she loses her title and is out of the family anyway, so what difference would it make.
[...]
Huge scandal, massive shaming and dishonor. The couple would be considered immensely selfish.

I can't tell when and where the rumours came exactly as I first heard it from my friend who live in Japan (in the begin it's more like a gossip, later the local press dug deeper and deeper which makes the whole thing turned serious), but I try to give you some news and information. P.S. I don't read Japanese but I can roughly get the meaning by reading Kanji (it's similar/same with Chinese character) plus Google translation. I can't translate the whole article but I would try highlighting some key point/important part.

Source 1

眞子さまの婚約相手・小室圭さんの母が頼る霊媒師の存在
Title: Princess Mako's fiance, Kei Komuro 's mother believes in/depends on psychic.

[...]
Thanks. The article was posted July 2017. If the religious organization was that troubling I don't see how the IHA could have gone ahead with the informal engagement announcement and press conference in September.

If the magazines are to be believed, the IHA and Akishino family took action following the money dispute reports.

Jprime 眞子さまと婚約者・小室圭さんの「結婚延期」に借金トラブル被害者が胸中告白 claims Kei visited the Akishino residence January 6, 13, 14, and 19. Mrs. Komuro also visited on January 19. Princesses Kiko and Mako visited the Imperial Palace on January 20th and the decision was made to postpone the wedding. However, Mako and Kei did not move until after February 2 when Their Majesties had dinner with the Akishino family. It is speculated that Empress Michiko edited Mako's statement because "充分" was used, a term/phrase associated with Michiko. The IHA usually use "十分" in documents to express "sufficient".

The Akishino family will move into a temporary residence while their current home is renovated in preparation for abdication and the prince's new position as "koshi." Since Mako was to be married this autumn, she wasn't given rooms in the temporary residence and that had to be quickly updated.

news-postseven is dragging CP Masako into the drama. It claims Masako voiced concerns early on about Mako's boyfriend. Allegedly she could foresee trouble ahead because she worked in the real world before joining the Imperial family. However, the situation was difficult to know for certain as it's truly another family's business.
CP Naruhito and Prince Akishino are born royals and usually isolated from the general public. Princess Kiko had a short time in society before marrying.

Nifty reports some anxiety among royal watchers when Mako attended a movie screening with her parents on February 16th. The trio walked into the theater in order of Fumihito, Kiko and Mako but the parents swapped seats leaving the prince sandwiched between wife and daughter. A royal watcher sensed some distance between Kiko and Mako. (IMO, not a big deal. The CP and Akishino families have sat "out of order" before. Can't conclude a rift.)

CP Naruhito and Prince Akishino met with Emperor Akihito on February 14 for their monthly meeting. CP Naruhito departed the Imperial Palace at 13:30 whereas Prince Akishino didn't leave until 14:45. Empress Michiko had business at her alma mater University of the Sacred Heart that morning, returning around 13:30; it's speculated Prince Akishino needed to consult with his parents about the postponement. An IHA "source" says it's too long of a chat if the marriage is simply "postponed."

Last edited:
Kei Komuro visited the Akishino residence on March 9th for the first time in three weeks. He entered Akasaka Estate in an IHA car around 6:30pm and left at 9pm. It is Kei's second visit since the marriage was postponed but the first on a weekday.

That morning, Prince Akishino attended a regular meeting with Emperor Akihito and CP Naruhito at the Imperial Palace; the sons also stayed for lunch with Their Majesties.

Source: news24.jp

Kei visited the Akishino residence for about 2 hours on February 17th. Since the formal engagement ceremony "Nosai no Gi" was set for March 4th, Princess Mako's public service for February and March is light.
Mrs. Komuro's ex-fiance also shared some of her emails asking for money during their engagement to the magazines.

Asahi's Weekly edition: 眞子さまショック? 小室ママの“脱法指南メール”の内容 (1/3) 〈週刊朝日〉|AERA dot. (アエラドット)

ETA: fixed hours for March 9th visit

Last edited:
Any news? Glad to see that Kei at least visited the Akishino residence after the postponement (if not cancellation). Has the couple been seen in the last two months?

On May 25th, the IHA issued a rebuttal to recent magazine reports that Empress Michiko was concerned about the marriage or complained about the Akishino family's response. The Empress is surprised and sad at such publications. The Imperial couple has not discussed this matter with anyone, including relatives, friends, and IHA staff. They wish for privacy for Princess Mako, the Akishino couple, and Kei Komuro.

The agency gives a reminder that the Empress lost her voice for several months in 1993, following false reports that she requested Emperor Showa's beloved natural woods to be razed to make way for the new Imperial Residence.

IHA press release (translation)

On May 25th, the IHA issued a rebuttal to recent magazine reports that Empress Michiko was concerned about the marriage or complained about the Akishino family's response. The Empress is surprised and sad at such publications. The Imperial couple has not discussed this matter with anyone, including relatives, friends, and IHA staff. They wish for privacy for Princess Mako, the Akishino couple, and Kei Komuro.

The agency gives a reminder that the Empress lost her voice for several months in 1993, following false reports that she requested Emperor Showa's beloved natural woods to be razed to make way for the new Imperial Residence.

IHA press release (translation)

Sounds as though the magazine is stirring the pot to try to get a response from the IHA or the Imperial family. There's been no further information about the state of the engagement, so they're hoping for some juicy info if they poke hard enough.

It makes me very sad that after all the empress has endured over the years, both within the family and from the press, she is still having to cope with this kind of nonsense.

:previous: I agree and unfortunately the magazines succeeded in getting a response.

English version: Imperial Couple distressed over speculation on Princess Mako's marriage | The Japan Times
[...] In a statement posted on its website, the agency said both the Emperor and the Empress have stayed silent on the matter, wishing to respect the feelings of the princess [...]

The Empress is "surprised and sad" that the peace and calm of the prince's family has not been maintained, according to the statement.

The Emperor is also very grieved [...]

Princess Mako's fiance to study in U.S. from summer: sources - The Mainichi
[...] But the sources said the 26-year-old eldest granddaughter of Emperor Akihito, and Komuro [...] still want to get married.

Komuro, who currently works as a paralegal at the law firm in Tokyo, plans to attend a law school in the United States for several years and hopes to gain U.S. lawyer qualification, the sources said.

[...]

While working at the Tokyo law firm, Komuro has attended Hitotsubashi University's graduate school at night to study business law. He graduated from the school this spring, according to the sources.

[...]

The sources said Komuro will decide how to spend his days in the United States by consulting with the princess.
Kei is set to graduate in 2021 and will resume working at his current law firm on his return. He departs for the US in August. [Asahi]

Last edited:
What does that mean ? That he is leaving Japan for at least three years and there is definitely no more wedding in the cards ?
Or that he and Mako are going to live abroad once married ?

What does that mean ? That he is leaving Japan for at least three years and there is definitely no more wedding in the cards ?
Or that he and Mako are going to live abroad once married ?

It seems likely that they won't get married before he returns.

I feel like this whole debacle is quite unfortunate. He's clearly a bright young man that works hard. Not everyone can be born into great privilege and wealth. And ultimately, I think that was the issue here. How it would look like for the son-in-law and brother-in-law of future emperors of Japan to have these issues in his family.

Will Mako be allowed to visit him there?

I see this as Kei Komura's chance to redeem himself/his family in the eyes of the Japanese public. He's going to go away, work hard, keep his nose clean, and prove that he has the diligence and commitment to be a good husband for one of the Imperial princesses. (That's obviously the plan, anyway.)

We'll see how it ends up playing out, but I actually think this is a very good idea. Whether the relationship will survive remains to be seen, but either way this gives both Mako and Kei Komura a chance to save face.

Last edited:
:previous: Sadly I believe this is the case. Hope it works out.

I doubt Mako can visit. She has her work, royal duties, and graduate school. Private trips aren't truly private for the Imperial family. There were photo ops when Mako and her father visited Hungary privately last year. Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, and CP Naruhito's private visits around Japan are reported in the news. While she doesn't receive much media coverage, the IHA announces Princess Akiko's private research trips and speaking engagements abroad.

NHK reports Kei's work will sponsor his studies in the US in addition to scholarships.

Japanese Princess Mako's Fiance to Study Law in U.S. - JIJI PRESS
Komuro is set to study at a law school in New York for bar qualification.

Last edited:
Having just watched Ayako's and Kei's press conference it occurred to me that maybe Mako will be introduced to a series of suitable young men in these coming two years? Perhaps Ayako's good fortune and it's swiftness from engagement to marriage will hearten Mako to reconsider her own choice? Never know, that might be behind the strange length of time. It's as though they want the couple to cool their ardor with Mako being shown that a really nice match might be in the cards for her like it has been for Ayako. Just some thoughts. :flowers:

The IHA insists Mako and Kei intend to marry. It would be difficult and awkward to set up Mako with someone else. Even if the postponement is a cover for an eventual breakup, introducing men to Mako however discreetly during the delay seems shady and dishonest. IMO it's better to breakup/cancel engagement plans, deal with the fallout, and then find someone else.

Japan Princess Mako's fiance to study in U.S. from summer - Kyodo News
Kei Komuro will attend the law school of Fordham University in New York starting in August, the school announced Thursday.

According to the announcement, Komuro will enter the law school's one-year program for an advanced law certification on a full scholarship and hopes to continue for two more years to receive a degree required to practice law in the United States.

I wonder if this means the couple intends to live in the US:
"According to the announcement, Komuro will enter the law school's one-year program for an advanced law certification on a full scholarship and hopes to continue for two more years to receive a degree required to practice law in the United States."
Why else would he be trying to get a degree that allows him to practice law in the US? Also, looks to be 3 years in the US, not 2 years, so the wedding will take place during his studies and they will spend their first year of marriage in the US?

Sounds very complicated to me. :huh: Oh, to be a fly-on-the-wall with this one, not so?

Well, if they marry, she won’t be a member of the imperial family anymore. So she’s free to live wherever.

I see this as Kei Komura's chance to redeem himself/his family in the eyes of the Japanese public. He's going to go away, work hard, keep his nose clean, and prove that he has the diligence and commitment to be a good husband for one of the Imperial princesses. (That's obviously the plan, anyway.)

I think even prior to the scandal, there was pressure on Kei Komuro to prove himself to be a worthy husband for a princess. Princess Mako accepted Kei's marriage proposal in December 2013, but the announcement of their engagement was supposed to occur in autumn 2017 and the wedding in November 2018. I suspect their waiting to marry for 4-5 years was because Kei was seen as a better match as a working paralegal than as a college student who grew up with a single mother going through financial hardships due to the death of her husband.

There were both positive and negative opinions in anonymous interviews with IHA officials following the postponement, some speaking out against the Komuro family and one encouraging the couple to deal with the problem and then get married. Maybe that is an indication that there was infighting within the IHA or the imperial family over Kei Komuro's acceptability.

I think even prior to the scandal, there was pressure on Kei Komuro to prove himself to be a worthy husband for a princess. Princess Mako accepted Kei's marriage proposal in December 2013, but the announcement of their engagement was supposed to occur in autumn 2017 and the wedding in November 2018. I suspect their waiting to marry for 4-5 years was because Kei was seen as a better match as a working paralegal than as a college student who grew up with a single mother going through financial hardships due to the death of her husband.

There were both positive and negative opinions in anonymous interviews with IHA officials following the postponement, some speaking out against the Komuro family and one encouraging the couple to deal with the problem and then get married. Maybe that is an indication that there was infighting within the IHA or the imperial family over Kei Komuro's acceptability.

Agreed, and I also suspect that once Komura qualifies as a lawyer, he will look a lot more stable and acceptable than he did as a paralegal. They've already been together for a long time, so we'll see how this separation affects the relationship, and whether they are able to stay the course.

It would also be interesting to know what CP Naruhito and CP Maskao's views are on this proposed marriage, since they will be Emperor and Empress by the time Komura is finished with his schooling in the US.

The couple's decision to wait after the 2013 proposal is prudent and realistic. They were full-time students and unemployed. The initial engagement/marriage plans for 2017-2018 make sense. They've graduated and are either working full-time (Kei) or part-time (Mako) while pursuing graduate degrees and in Mako's case, attending royal duties. I hope this postponement/US law school separation makes them stronger.

Found Fordham University's announcement: Kei Komuro, fiance of Princess Mako of Japan, to attend Fordham Law
Kei Komuro, a paralegal at the Okuno & Partners law firm in Japan [...] He has received the Michael M. Martin Scholarship. The Martin Scholarship is a merit scholarship covering the full cost of tuition from Fordham Law based on his strong academic and other credentials. The Martin Scholarship is not a loan and does not need to be repaid. He will enter the law school’s one-year LL.M. program and then hopes to continue for two more years to receive a J.D. [...]
Will he take the Japanese bar exam? I don't know how that works with a foreign degree. There was some chatter from Japanese royal watchers on twitter but the google translation was wonky.

The announcement comes off as appreciative of Kei, emphasizing his position as the fiancé of a princess and his "academic and other" merits that deserved a full scholarship. Did Fordham University issue the announcement because it suited them or did the IHA advise them? It's apparent that this (foreign) university sees a Japanese royal fiancé as good PR for them, not - as his critics see him - as a social climber with questionable family finances.

The couple's decision to wait after the 2013 proposal is prudent and realistic. They were full-time students and unemployed. The initial engagement/marriage plans for 2017-2018 make sense. They've graduated and are either working full-time (Kei) or part-time (Mako) while pursuing graduate degrees and in Mako's case, attending royal duties. I hope this postponement/US law school separation makes them stronger.

I really hope that it was indeed the couple who made the initial decision to wait and that through overcoming the unexpected postponement, they will set a precedent for later royal fiancés/fiancées from not wealthy families.

Well, if they marry, she won’t be a member of the imperial family anymore. So she’s free to live wherever.

As seen from Kayo and Kei Komuro's difficulties, as well as Hisashi Owada's forced retirement from the International Court of Justice, even the members of the Emperor's family who are not royal are supposed to adapt and avoid causing detriment to the monarchy. If following her marriage Mrs. Mako Komuro wants to live and work abroad, I am sure she will get advance permission from the IHA and the emperor.

I wonder if this means the couple intends to live in the US: Why else would he be trying to get a degree that allows him to practice law in the US? [...]

The initial reports communicated that he plans to return to his law firm in Japan following his graduation. I think it's possible he thought it was wiser to enroll in a foreign law school to relieve the scrutiny on him and his mother. Per Fordham's announcement, "This spring, 181 students were enrolled in the LL.M. program, six of them from Japan". That makes it an apparently rational choice - he will not be cut off from other Japanese people, but the limited number of Japanese students hopefully will discourage any of his classmates from dealing with the gossip magazines in Japan.

Last edited:
Sent away for three years?! That's quite a long period if they already were dating for years (including a year in which Mako was in the UK) and were looking forward to get married in a few months time. In that case Mako could have joined her husband; now they will be separated for years and probably only see each other once a year during summer break?

Last edited:
This sounds like princess Margaret and Peter Townsend when he was sent away. Sorry I have been watching the crown.

Sent away for three years?! That's quite a long period if they already were dating for years (including a year in which Mako was in the UK) and were looking forward to get married in a few months time. In that case Mako could have joined her husband; now they will be separated for years and probably only see each other once a year during summer break?

This sounds like princess Margaret and Peter Townsend when he was sent away. Sorry I have been watching the crown.

It's pretty intense. :sad: Makes no sense in normal terms. Wasn't it reported that Mako was seen crying coming away from a visit to her grandparents at the time all this was happening? I thought so.

On July 17th, the IHA issued a letter to Fordham University to clarify that Kei Komuro is not Princess Mako's fiancé. Based on Imperial tradition, the Nosai-no-Gi ceremony formalizes an engagement.

Source: Sankei
Awkward… I wish the IHA left it alone. News about Kei's law school plans was starting to slow. Now the agency's letter puts the spotlight back on Kei and his limbo status.

This is so awkward... It's like they are emphasising this point as a preamble for the marriage not going forward in the future, because it was never 'formalized'.

Wow, that's bad. They organized a press conference to announce they would get engaged.

The IHA really wants the two of them to break up. I feel so sorry for the couple who are clearly in love but their powerful surroundings are in attack mode and might not rest until the relationship is broken off.

On July 17th, the IHA issued a letter to Fordham University to clarify that Kei Komuro is not Princess Mako's fiancé. Based on Imperial tradition, the Nosai-no-Gi ceremony formalizes an engagement.

Wow, that's bad. They organized a press conference to announce they would get engaged.

The IHA really wants the two of them to break up. I feel so sorry for the couple who are clearly in love but their powerful surroundings are in attack mode and might not rest until the relationship is broken off.

Agree, Somebody. :sad: When I read that I found it aggressive. Not a good sign.

I think what they need is a generational change at both the throne and the household, which seems to be running the monarchy in name of the Emperor. Horrible and very awkward, as Carina wrote.

Back
Top Bottom