The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2018, 01:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
I feel he is not good enough for the princess. The fact that he and his Mother were/are members of a infamous cult is bad enough! He’s quite a social climber. In my opinion Princesses of the imperial family should marry good families to compensate for their loss of status and income.
Whoa. Isn't that from tabloids? That could easily be false. Kei's an easy target. He's from a single parent home and outside the aristocratic and Gakushuin circles.

Mainichi and Jiji report Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko stopped engagement proceedings. After weekly magazines published Mrs. Komuro's financial troubles, they discussed the coverage with Kei and his mother several times. Kei and his mother said there was no problem and requested to explain the situation at a press conference for public understanding. However, that was denied. [Correction: the Akishinos wanted the press conference, not the Komuros]

The Akishino couple respect Mako and Kei's desire to marry but feel they cannot proceed under present circumstances. Vice grand steward Yasuhiko Nishimura says the IHA doesn't know exactly what's going on.

Sources: Mainichi, Jiji

ETA: Oh geez, the media followed Kei to the US...

Old 08-08-2018, 02:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I am glad to hear that the Japanese people also see the absurdity of this situation. However, I wonder whether a Japanese man would want to be pitied upon. Isn't that perceived badly?
Are the Japanese people feeling pity, or empathy and righteous anger with the IHA?

Old 08-08-2018, 02:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Correction: The Akishino couple wanted the press conference.

Princess Mako's official engagement preparations cannot proceed: parents - The Mainichi
Quote:
[...] A factor behind the move is that the fiance's side did not make a public explanation as requested by Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko about weekly magazine reports on "financial trouble" within the Komuro family, according to people familiar with the situation.

[...]

Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko made multiple requests to the Komuros to explain about the reports. They asked the Komuros, who said the matter was "not a problem," to hold a press conference on the subject to seek the public's understanding, but their requests have not been fulfilled. Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko intend to respect the wishes of their daughter and her informal fiance, but apparently judged that preparations cannot go ahead for the official engagement ceremony at this juncture.
Mako's parents demand answers before nuptials can go ahead:The Asahi Shimbun
Quote:
[...] Fumihito and Kiko were said to have conveyed their concerns to the Komuros that without full clarification of the family's financial affairs, the marriage was unlikely to win an outpouring of public affection.

Sources said Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko have been kept abreast of developments. [...]

Fumihito and Kiko have raised the issue at a number of meetings at their residence with Komuro and his mother since the beginning of this year, several sources said. Mako also attended the meetings, the sources said.

[...]

Fumihito and Kiko want to respect the couple's decision in light of constitutional provisions that state "marriage shall be based only on the mutual consent of both sexes."

At the same time, Mako's parents felt it was imperative that their daughter, as a member of the imperial household, win the blessing of the public.

But as more reports appeared about the financial problems facing the Komuros, Fumihito and Kiko decided to intervene.

They decided the situation could compromise important imperial family rituals that are held to mark an official engagement, culminating in a formal audience with Akihito and Michiko.

For imperial family members, the "nosai no gi" is the highlight of those ceremonies as the families of the groom and bride exchange betrothal gifts, thereby sealing the engagement.

Subsequently, the individual who is to marry an imperial family member must have a formal audience with the emperor and empress.

[...]

Sources said that Komuro has explained to Fumihito and Kiko that the media reports are not correct.

They said if that was the case, Komuro should make a public statement to explain the facts and issue a formal denial.

[...]
Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks for all of the video and news, Prisma.

Quote:
On Twitter, @momimojiko suggested that Mr. Komuro had used his connection to Princess Mako to gain admission and a scholarship from Fordham and its prestigious law school.

“He will betray us again and again in the future,” @momimojiko wrote. “The engagement should be canceled immediately, like tomorrow.”

Another Twitter user, @marimo555555, addressed the princess directly. “Mako, why don’t you drop him quickly? Wake up. Rather than waiting for him for three years, it’s better to split up from him and ask your mother to introduce you to a good man.”
Observing comments on social media, it indeed seemed as if a multitude of negative, angry, or insulting statements and stories were being aimed at Kei Komuro and his mother. It's impossible for me to know for sure with my lack of knowledge of Japanese, but the tweets in the New York Times article, and the replies on Fordham University's tweet, suggest the same conclusion:

https://twitter.com/FordhamLawNYC/st...26401409142784

Quote:
Jul 18
Replying to @FordhamLawNYC
Kei Komuro-san is not fiance of princess of Japan. The Japanese community is not supporting this as well. #FordhamLawNYC misunderstood that he is.

Jul 18
Following this tweet, the Imperial Household Agency disavowed the engagement between Mr. Komuro & Ms. Mako. It seems that they had to publicly state this due to severe pressure from the right-wingers, who consider Mr. Komuro is not appropriate to marry Ms. Mako. –continued

Jul 18
This is #FakeNews‼️ Kei Komuro-san is not fiance of princess of Japan. Rumor says he is a #Korean in other words #Zapanese, Fake Japanese. Zapanese people have built up #ComfortWomen. Zapanese people are also supporting Komuro-san to marry to Japan’s princess.

Jul 19
Now so many people are against this person, because of his and his family's disgraceful actions. If this school believes his name would add some kind of positive value onto the school status, that is completely opposite.

Aug 2
Kei Komuro’s full scholarship admission seems unfair to so many who went through a rigorous selection process. He is not a fiancé of princess Mako. Is this admission a back door deal to use royal family’s name? #小室圭 #眞子さま #フォーダム大学 #Fordhamlaw #keikomuro

Aug 3
Replying to @royalguru123 @FordhamLawNYC
I think so too. He is not engaged or fiance. Many Japanese are not supporting him because of his debt and other problems. He could graduated from university thanks to his mother's boyfriend ,who lent more than 4 million, and is not living in his old age comfortably now!!

Aug 5
Replying to @royalguru123 @FordhamLawNYC
Kei Komuro is studying LLM course at Fordham, being awarded the merit scholarship, the Michael M. Martin Scholarship. Kei Komuro doesn't hold any formal qualifications associated with laws in Japan, nor any law degrees, then why is he able to receive? fordham.edu/info/27322/app… …
Old 08-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
Whoa. Isn't that from tabloids? That could easily be false. Kei's an easy target. He's from a single parent home and outside the aristocratic and Gakushuin circles.

Mainichi and Jiji report Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko stopped engagement proceedings. After weekly magazines published Mrs. Komuro's financial troubles, they discussed the coverage with Kei and his mother several times. Kei and his mother said there was no problem and requested to explain the situation at a press conference for public understanding. However, that was denied. [Correction: the Akishinos wanted the press conference, not the Komuros]

The Akishino couple respect Mako and Kei's desire to marry but feel they cannot proceed under present circumstances. Vice grand steward Yasuhiko Nishimura says the IHA doesn't know exactly what's going on.

Sources: Mainichi, Jiji

ETA: Oh geez, the media followed Kei to the US...

Well, if I were Mako’s parents, I wouldn’t have done the same - pause the engagement. The fiancé has got way too many rumours around him and his mother. Japanese Imperial Family is very sensitive about anything that has a potential to get them into public scandals or embarrassment.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thanks for all of the video and news, Prisma.

Observing comments on social media, it indeed seemed as if a multitude of negative, angry, or insulting statements and stories were being aimed at Kei Komuro and his mother. It's impossible for me to know for sure with my lack of knowledge of Japanese, but the tweets in the New York Times article, and the replies on Fordham University's tweet, suggest the same conclusion:

[...]
You're welcome! Those twitter responses... ouch. The departure videos have so many down votes on YouTube. However, he does have some support. In one of the videos, I heard some encouraging "ganbatte" to Kei at the airport. Ganbatte means "to do their best" or "to not give up."

I thought Kei's post-graduate degree was in some area of law. Need to look again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Well, if I were Mako’s parents, I wouldn’t have done the same - pause the engagement. The fiancé has got way too many rumours around him and his mother. Japanese Imperial Family is very sensitive about anything that has a potential to get them into public scandals or embarrassment.
The one rumor that turned out to be true is the financial dispute with Mrs. Komuro's ex-fiancé. That should have been anticipated and dealt with sooner. I haven't seen anything credible about the cult, Korean descent, etc. Masako has been accused of Korean blood. Kiko and the Kawashimas have been called social climbers. Some crazy people are convinced there's a grand conspiracy that the Owadas are out to control the monarchy. The Imperial family can be too sensitive at times and insensitive at others.

Kyodo News - Princess Mako's parents told boyfriend to solve financial issue: source
Quote:
[...] The Komuro family has told the princess' parents that they did not regard the money as a "debt" and are seeking to hold talks with the mother's former fiancé, according to the source.

[…]

The parents have also asked Komuro to present a future life plan, including career building beyond his current job as a paralegal at a Tokyo law firm, as a condition for the formal engagement and marriage with Princess Mako, the source said.

[…]

Despite the postponement of their nuptial, Princess Mako and Komuro are staying in close contact with each other and their intention to marry is unchanged, according to the source.

[…]
In random news, conservatives were shocked that Princess Mako used the western calendar year 2012 instead of the Japanese era year Heisei 24 when she spoke about her and Kei's first proper conversation at the informal engagement press conference last September.

Source: Asahi
Old 08-09-2018, 11:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You're welcome! Those twitter responses... ouch. The departure videos have so many down votes on YouTube. However, he does have some support. In one of the videos, I heard some encouraging "ganbatte" to Kei at the airport. Ganbatte means "to do their best" or "to not give up."

I thought Kei's post-graduate degree was in some area of law. Need to look again.

The one rumor that turned out to be true is the financial dispute with Mrs. Komuro's ex-fiancé. That should have been anticipated and dealt with sooner. I haven't seen anything credible about the cult, Korean descent, etc. Masako has been accused of Korean blood. Kiko and the Kawashimas have been called social climbers. Some crazy people are convinced there's a grand conspiracy that the Owadas are out to control the monarchy. The Imperial family can be too sensitive at times and insensitive at others.

Kyodo News - Princess Mako's parents told boyfriend to solve financial issue: source

In random news, conservatives were shocked that Princess Mako used the western calendar year 2012 instead of the Japanese era year Heisei 24 when she spoke about her and Kei's first proper conversation at the informal engagement press conference last September.

Source: Asahi
Given all that has happened regarding this engagement, I can see where Princess Mako was probably looking forward to getting away from the IHA and the spotlight and just being herself. She always looks sad or pensive most of the time to me.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Majesty

engagements are supposed to be joyous events and i am saddened to see what they have done to mako and ken on their special ocassion.

i do not even understand the whole story. from what i gather, ken's mum went into debt to pay for his education. so what? mako is getting a lump sum anyway as a result of her leaving the imperial family which could have easily covered this. in any case, couldn't this be kept private? ken's mum's affairs are no one's business. how rude to publish such details.

Quote:
Poor guy. I guess the IHA sees this as his opportunity to redeem himself but is extremely harsh on the couple. They have been waiting to get married for a long time and now there is another forced separation of 3 years.
what do you mean by 'redeem itself' and by forced separation? could you explain further?

does this mean the engagement will not take place? i thought it could if the debt was repaid.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
engagements are supposed to be joyous events and i am saddened to see what they have done to mako and ken on their special ocassion.

i do not even understand the whole story. from what i gather, ken's mum went into debt to pay for his education. so what? mako is getting a lump sum anyway as a result of her leaving the imperial family which could have easily covered this. in any case, couldn't this be kept private? ken's mum's affairs are no one's business. how rude to publish such details.

[...]
It would be different if the debt was a bank loan. That has clear terms and repayment plan. Instead, this is a "he said, she said" dispute and a matter of honor. Mrs. Komuro's ex-fiancé now wants the money back whereas the Komuros regarded it as a gift. I don't know whether he contacted the media first or vice versa. It's been years since he broke the engagement with Mrs. Komuro. Regardless, he aired his grievances to a reporter after Kei turned out to be Mako's intended husband.

I agree it's rude to publish such details. Unfortunately, that's the reality for any tabloid press.

The Komuros should settle with the ex-fiancé. Figure out a payment plan and get him to sign a confidentiality agreement. I was puzzled at first why they won't hold a press conference or issue a denial. After some thought, it makes sense. Responding publicly only escalates the situation. The ex-fiancé could talk even more or hold his own press conference. The back and forth would be a nightmare. So far, he's known under an alias in the tabloids. It'd be better to announce if/when there's a resolution.

The lump sum is from the government and seen as taxpayers' money. It looks bad that any portion could be used to repay this debt. From the reports above, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko want the dispute solved and Kei to have a better career before formal engagement rituals can proceed.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Administrator

The press doesn't leave him alone: Kei Komuro was pictured on his way to Fordham University today, August 13:

** Pic **
Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 AM
Heir Apparent

It was new student orientation. ANN even asked students about Kei...
Folks in Japan are wondering who's paying for security. There were police, a media zone, etc.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Gentry

I red that Princess Mako has postponed her wedding till 2020. Saying she doesn't feel mature enough to get married. But many people are speculating, that the postpone announcement is a clear indication of cancelation of engagement. Some people even say that, talk about leaving their title and heritage for love sounds romantic but it's far from reality.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:17 PM

I think it is a good move to wait and see. Also separating him from the princess to allow her to think rationally and objectively. Obviously She loves him and convinced her parents to accept him. But from Kei side, I think people are right to worry and be concerned:

1. He proposed to her way early, while both were still students and now we know neither he nor his family have money to support his marriage. He even wanted his relatives to loan him money for the engagement gifts.

2. About his mother loan's. In some culture his mom loan is his loan and by marriage his wife loan. The issue people have with this is if kei and his mom are not financially stable, why does he want to marry early? to a princess (rich woman) non the less? romantic ideas aside, he could be a gold digger.

3. He and his family refused to hold press conference to explain the situation. while it’s true it could be to avoid further debates, it can be seen as shady and hiding some facts.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loool View Post
I think it is a good move to wait and see. Also separating him from the princess to allow her to think rationally and objectively. Obviously She loves him and convinced her parents to accept him. But from Kei side, I think people are right to worry and be concerned:

1. He proposed to her way early, while both were still students and now we know neither he nor his family have money to support his marriage. He even wanted his relatives to loan him money for the engagement gifts.

2. About his mother loan's. In some culture his mom loan is his loan and by marriage his wife loan. The issue people have with this is if kei and his mom are not financially stable, why does he want to marry early? to a princess (rich woman) non the less? romantic ideas aside, he could be a gold digger.

3. He and his family refused to hold press conference to explain the situation. while it’s true it could be to avoid further debates, it can be seen as shady and hiding some facts.
1. Kei and Mako have know each other for 6 years--that is hardly rushing into marriage.

2. And in other cultures Kei's mother's debt is only Kei's mother debt--if it is even a debt since the ex-boyfriend only came forward when he thought he could get money from the Imperial family.

3. Personal business should not be aired in the tabloids.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Courtier

In this case other cultures don't matter, only the Japanese does. The thing with Kei's mother's debt situation is it reflects badly on him and his family, even if himself did not have anything do with it in the first place.

Family connections is a huge thing in Japan, more so if you are marrying a royal princess. Every person, man or woman, who marries a Japanese royal will have his/her lifelong resume ready to be examined by the media and the public, and any scandal will reflect negatively on the person. That's just the way it is.

There are many more tabloid stories and rumours surrounding the family (both the Akishinos and Komuros) at the moment if you know where to look.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by loool View Post

agree with you
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yes, I was shocked by the disproportionate amount of harsh comments (some comments elsewhere were even worse than the quoted tweets) and dislikes. Interesting that there were those cheering him on at the airport; I wonder who they were.

It does not surprise me to read that Prince Fumihito and Princess Kiko want their daughter to be financially provided for by her prospective husband after marriage (in contrast to earning a wage high enough to provide for herself or both spouses). Mako and Kako have spoken about being given a strict upbringing while their brother is pampered, which is revealing of gendered divisions underpinning Fumihito and Kiko's ideals for their family. (Or perhaps they merely realize that a large gender disparity in earnings remains part of Japanese society, but I suspect the emperor's granddaughter has much improved odds of entering high-level positions when compared to other women.)

It's also not wholly unexpected that "winning the public's blessing" for the imperial family is more important to Fumihito and Kiko than their daughter's desire to marry. That they acquiesced to having a son in 2006, eleven years out from their younger daughter's birth, could be understood as a response intended to terminate the public conflicts over the role of women in the imperial family.

However, I can't understand who leaked those reports. Assuming that the emperor and empress or Mako's parents want the engagement to be canceled, I imagine they would rather privately pressure Mako and Kei instead of leaking to the press, which lets the public continue obsessing over the story.

Thanks to Prisma, loool, and carina_a for stating such clear explanations of the problems. carina_a: If links to those tabloid stories, etc., are available, I would be interested in seeing them.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Kei should have a degree in business law from Hitotsubashi University, according to this Kyodo News article.
Quote:
While working at the Tokyo law firm, Komuro attended Hitotsubashi University's graduate school at night to study business law. He graduated from the school this spring [...]
Journalist Hiroyuki Shinoda's 8/12 editorial on the coverage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/byline/shin...0812-00092833/

- Asahi first reported on August 8 about Prince and Princess Akishino supposedly stopping the engagement.
- TV and other publications rushed to follow, leaving many people confused, thinking there as an official announcement.
- It's strange as Imperial news is under the IHA's strict control. Most newspapers and TV programs do not report anything other than official news.
- The source of the information is ambiguous. "According to stakeholder…"
- The IHA seems to be struggling against the weekly magazines, issuing 2 complaints so far.
- Excessive coverage of Kei's farewell visit to the Akishino residence on August 4. Reporters were placed at all gates of Akasaka Estate and even Kei's departure around 9pm was captured.
- Kei entered via the gate closest to the Crown Prince's residence (Togu Palace) which caused negative weekly magazine reports as that entrance is limited for the Imperial couple, Crown Prince family, and Togu Palace guests. (FYI: the CP family were away that weekend; Naruhito and Masako visiting Hyogo Prefecture and Aiko still studying abroad)
- Prince Akishino likely anticipated the media watch and sanctioned the use of Togu Palace's gate rather than a gate closer to his own residence. (IMO, the ploy failed and caused more Kei negativity.)
- Mr. Shinoda can't deny the possibility that someone is leaking information.
- Weekly magazines asked the IHA about Fordham University describing Kei Komuro as "fiancé" which resulted in the IHA issuing an unusual statement.
- There was some concern in magazines that Mako and Kei would meet in NY during her overnight layover returning from Brazil. That turned out to be false since Kei was still in Japan then.
- It's worrisome weekly magazines only report negative views on the marriage despite Mako's strong intention to marry.
- The uproar is spreading to foreign media although the coverage is different. The NY Times article criticizes the Japanese media bashing Mr. Komuro and the IHA’s reaction.
- Besides the debt dispute, there is sentiment in Japan that Mr. Komuro is unworthy because he was raised in his mother's family after his father's suicide.
- The bashing puts considerable pressure on Mako and Kei. Weekly magazines are fueling the negativity and the situation is abnormal.
- While it is important for the media to present objections or opposing views to the majority, Mr. Shinoda is worried about this one-color reporting.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Tabloids in Japan unafraid to question Imperial scandals | The Japan Times
Quote:
[...]

The weeklies and tabloids have no direct access to the royal family, at least not through the Imperial Household Agency, and so they write whatever they want. [...] At the moment, they’re fired up about Kei Komuro, [...] in December, Shukan Josei started reporting that Komuro’s widowed mother owed money to a former boyfriend. The story was picked up by other weeklies and then the major media, the result of which has been a full-blown scandal that now incorporates sideshows about the Komuros’ religious beliefs and the deaths of Kei’s father and grandfather, both allegedly by suicide.

On Feb. 6, the Imperial Household Agency announced that the formal engagement ceremony for Mako and Komuro had been postponed until 2020, raising eyebrows across the board and prompting high-fives in the editorial offices of the weeklies. Then Josei Seven ran a scoop about Komuro going to the United States to gain an American law degree, a process that would entail three years of study. More rumors flew, the gist of which was that the Imperial Household Agency and, more specifically, Mako’s father and grandmother, Empress Michiko, wanted the couple to break up. [...] Eventually, the Imperial Household Agency announced that Komuro would attend Fordham University in New York from August. More high-fives and raised eyebrows.

These developments are regularly updated by Hiroyuki Shinoda in his column about the weeklies in Tokyo Shimbun and other publications that toe the Imperial Household Agency line when it comes to royal coverage. When Shinoda wanted to express disgust with the weeklies’ treatment of Komuro he referred to a New York Times article that said the tabloids were persecuting Komuro. The New York Times also talked about the Imperial Household Agency’s demand that Fordham remove from its home page a statement saying Komuro was the fiancee of Princess Mako, [...]

Shinoda called the Imperial Household Agency’s demand abnormal, and cited Shukan Josei as one of the instigators of Komuro-bashing, since the weekly relied on anonymous negative comments about the marriage sent to the Imperial Household Agency [...]

[...]

Another media person who has come out publicly against this narrative is Masahiko Motoki, a former editor-in-chief of Shukan Gendai. [...]

Motoki takes issue with the reporting of the debt scandal. The only “source” of information about the money owed to the former boyfriend is the boyfriend himself, who remains anonymous. Komuro and his mother have declined to speak on the record about it. Explaining that weeklies present both sides of a story even if the sources are nameless, Motoki finds it suspicious that the original revelation was based on one man’s uncorroborated version. Similarly, all subsequent quotes about dissatisfactions within the royal family come from anonymous acquaintances of the principals.

It also appears that Komuro’s intentions to seek a law degree in the United States were prompted by his employer, which offered to pay the attendant fees. In fact, he applied for a slot at Fordham before the Imperial Household Agency’s February announcement about the engagement, [...] In Motoki’s version, Komuro is a hard-working young man who wants to build a career and start a family.

Compare the coverage of Mako’s situation to that of Princess Ayako, [...] She recently announced her intention to marry commoner Kei Moriya. There’s no problem with their union because it was arranged by Ayako’s mother, Princess Hisako, but afterward it’s open season.

Hisako also arranged the marriage of Ayako’s older sister to a Shinto priest that the weeklies believe is now on the rocks. Coincidentally, the husband of the Emperor’s daughter, Sayako [...] was recently spotted by a weekly eating at a chain restaurant by himself, sparking rumors that their marriage isn’t going smoothly either. That one was supposedly arranged by Prince Akishino.

[...]
Old 09-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
what do you mean by 'redeem itself' and by forced separation? could you explain further?

does this mean the engagement will not take place? i thought it could if the debt was repaid.
By going to the States to study for 3 years he can show the IHA, the imperial family and the people of Japan that he is a hard-working man who is able to support his hopefully future wife. These 3 years of study automatically force a long seoaration between Kei and Mako as she will remain in Japan (they've been apart for long times before when Mako studied in the UK, and their relationship survived...)

The engagement was announced about a year ago but the official ceremony is still to take place. Whether it will ever hapoen remains to be seen.